Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Are police firearms holstered cocked and ready to fire, with just the safety on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
My girlfriend just spend the last 16 hours puking her brains out because of a stomach bug she got from taking care of little kids that are sick.

She slept/puked/was generally sick in my apartment and we hung out for like 6 hours at my apartment before she started getting sick.

All signs indicate that I'm probably going to get the same thing within the next 24 hours -- but I really don't want to because I don't really want to have to skip work as I'm pretty busy right now.

When I get home from work, I'm going to wash my sheets, sanitize the entire apartment with Lysol wipes/spray, and wash/sanitize my hands constantly throughout today.

Does anyone have any additional advice that I can follow to prevent my impending doom from happening or am I pretty much screwed?

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 10, 2010

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

Is this for some ARG or web puzzle or something? I was thinking that if it was your own alarm clock, you could probably tell by looking at it closely and if you were going to post a picture online, you'd have to be intentionally trying to make it difficult by setting the time to 11:11.

Nothing so malicious, I assure you. I saw the photo, found it particularly striking and decided to recreate it in CG (as a motion graphic, in After Effects), animated with the same glowy look and all. Because this is what I do when I'm bored.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

The Aphasian posted:

Are police firearms holstered cocked and ready to fire, with just the safety on?

I'll go out on a limb and say they're not cocked

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Schweinhund posted:

I'll go out on a limb and say they're not cocked

I didn't think so, but I'd imagine they'd want to be as ready to fire as was safe/feasible.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Aphasian posted:

I recently took a security augmentation force class, and at least for Marine MPs, pistols are loaded, with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety on. Shotguns have a full magazine, but no round in the chamber. Safety's still on.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

hooah posted:

I recently took a security augmentation force class, and at least for Marine MPs, pistols are loaded, with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety on. Shotguns have a full magazine, but no round in the chamber. Safety's still on.

Thanks. I should have asked "How many steps between holstered and firing does a police officer service weapon require?"

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

The Aphasian posted:

It depends on the gun, most police departments issue or require guns which are double-action, or Glocks. Double-action means that the gun can be fired with the hammer up and uncocked, or with the the hammer cocked. A single action pistol can only be fired with the hammer down, which means you have to either cock the hammer back or disengage the safety. On a double-action with the hammer up, the trigger requires 10+ pounds of force for the gun to fire because this also cocks the hammer. With the hammer cocked back, the gun only requires a fraction of that force since it doesn't have to move the hammer. Basically, you have different carry conditions, here's a list I stole:

quote:

The legendary guru of the combat 1911, Jeff Cooper, came up with the "Condition" system to define the state of readiness of the 1911-pattern pistol. The are:

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun

As far as I know, officers carry condition 2. There's really no need for the safety to be on since the double-action trigger pull is so heavy you have to actually be trying to fire the gun. Glock pistols don't have a traditional external safety, but rather a lever on the trigger which must be depressed before the trigger can move back. Pulling the trigger on a Glock also disengages 2 safeties inside the gun which prevent the striker or firing pin from moving and firing if dropped, etc. Glocks were designed to be simple and efficient, so all you have to do is draw and fire.

So in short, police firearms are holstered uncocked, but ready to fire. The only sort of caveat is Glocks, since racking the slide to chamber a round also partially cocks the striker/firing pin.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Alderdash posted:

My girlfriend just spend the last 16 hours puking her brains out because of a stomach bug she got from taking care of little kids that are sick.

She slept/puked/was generally sick in my apartment and we hung out for like 6 hours at my apartment before she started getting sick.

All signs indicate that I'm probably going to get the same thing within the next 24 hours -- but I really don't want to because I don't really want to have to skip work as I'm pretty busy right now.

When I get home from work, I'm going to wash my sheets, sanitize the entire apartment with Lysol wipes/spray, and wash/sanitize my hands constantly throughout today.

Does anyone have any additional advice that I can follow to prevent my impending doom from happening or am I pretty much screwed?

In handling the sheets you'll subject yourself to anything that has survived if you didn't already get it passed to you from your girlfriend. If your immune system can cope with it, you'll be alright, if not, sick-day.

Try drinking more orange juice for the extra vitamin C. Other than that, ride it out.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
What is the best bolognese recipe?

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
I recently had a HD crash that had all my iTunes music on it. However, my iTunes library was on a second hard drive that did not crash. I'd like to view the library file to see what music I lost on the old HD, ideally with all my star ratings etc. When I try to load the library into iTunes, it said it was not exported properly.

There seem to be some .xml files that contain all my library info, but they are 11 MB and about 400,000 lines long. Is there an easy way I can sort through these to find the info for my songs, or at least just to see which albums were in my old library?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Busy Bee posted:

What's the cheapest and best way to get a background check on someone?

Some states have open criminal records, like here in Wisconsin I can look up someone on the circuit court website and see all tickets/charges/crimes that person has. I know WI isn't the only one.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The federal subsidized loan I'm getting as part of my financial aid has an interest rate of 7.9% a period of 10 years and only covers a fraction of my need, but if I can get a private sally mae loan for a lower rate that covers all of what I need to pay for school, how are federal loans better than private ones?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Basically there's more fine print (for profit) for the private loans.

Google "federal vs private loans" for exhaustive discussion on the topic. ;)

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Alderdash posted:

:barf:
You're not around Chicago by any chance, are you? Schools there have a Norovirus outbreak. Long shot, I know. I get all :tinfoil: when I read news like that.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Zegnar posted:

What is the best bolognese recipe?

Check goonswithspoons.com

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Long story short.. my roomie had a strange dream and one thing she saw was like, a map table.. so we want to make it. I found a large picture of an old style map (3000x2630).. how would I go about getting this printed to say something like 4'x4'? or 3.5'x3.5'? Is there any way to know how it would look? Would I have to hire someone to recreate this piece on a large scale? (Basically we want to set this drawing under a large piece of glass and make it visible as a table.. so finding a way to get this big rear end map is step 1).

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
I know with Facebook Insights, and the Facebook Social Graph (http://www.webgraphr.com/facebook-social-graph/www.somethingawful.com), you can track how many users are sharing which pages on your site.

However, assuming their profiles are public, is there a way to see user's status updates, to see what comments they are adding when they share links on your site?

I know the Facebook graph can be searched, but this doesn't seem to search their shares but rather only what they are saying in their statuses:
https://graph.facebook.com/search?q...v7_c7kMnVxWKhVo

Liface fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 11, 2010

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.
Am I correct in thinking that most people have never heard of selkies?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Turkeybone posted:

Long story short.. my roomie had a strange dream and one thing she saw was like, a map table.. so we want to make it. I found a large picture of an old style map (3000x2630).. how would I go about getting this printed to say something like 4'x4'? or 3.5'x3.5'? Is there any way to know how it would look? Would I have to hire someone to recreate this piece on a large scale? (Basically we want to set this drawing under a large piece of glass and make it visible as a table.. so finding a way to get this big rear end map is step 1).

Put the file on a flash drive, take it to a Kinkos.

Alternatively, they do actually sell huge maps, so you could just buy one of those. It shouldn't be too hard to find an old-timey style one, but you might want very specific dimensions making the Kinkos trip more preferable.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Alderdash posted:

Don't wear makeup, smoke or chew tobacco, don't wear contact lenses, don't pick your nose. Generally, and completely, don't touch your face or head for any reason.

There are two schools of thought as to why diseaes spread more rapidly in schools than in workplaces.
1.One idea is concentration,

but equal concentrated workplaces do not spread disease in the way schools do, so:

2. It is due to kids (even colleges kids) playing with their heads all the time. Playing with their hair, propping their head on their shoulders, chewing on pencils, etc.

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

put on your adventure helmet, it's time for an adventure!

Astro Cake posted:

Probably.

Unless the other people concerned are nerds like you (and me).

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Astro Cake posted:

Probably, if you mean globally, sure. I have though, and I'm guessing a lot of people on this forum have, since The Internet is into fantasy, mythology, and such. Not like an elf, unicorn, grey alien, or even a mermaid though I 'd wager. There was an Irish (maybe Welsh) movie called the Secret of Roan Inish that was pretty popular that concerned Selkies though. Why?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

This past summer I was "denied leave of entry" to the UK. Had fingerprint/photo taken and all that fun stuff -- was an issue with work visas (the lack thereof, really).

Anyhow.

Would this be a problem were I ever to head to the UK as a visitor / to work, with an actual visa? How about applying for a visa for other countries -- would this have to be mentioned, or can it be swept under the proverbial rug?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Astro Cake posted:

Completely. Selkies are very regional folklore.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

vulgey posted:

[Wants to learn to code]

If it's any help I'd like to build web applications mainly and I'd like to have a solid base in something like C++ or C# to back it all up.

Thanks for any help.

First off, if you're working on the web, C++ is not the language for you. You'd want something like PHP, ASP, or Java (with JSP) for your logic, and some flavor of SQL to cover databases. If you want interactive pages, you'll need JavaScript. (Not the same thing as Java.) XAMPP is a popular base for web-development - it's a binary install, and comes with Apache, MySQL, PHP, and Perl. The best way to learn is to pick a project that you actually want to accomplish, and then figure out how to do it. There are tutorials on the internet, and once you've got the syntax of a language down, the language documentation is as just as useful as any guide or lesson you'll find out there. You might also want to stop by The Cavern of COBOL programming form for better help than you'll get here.

Alderdash posted:

Take too much Vitamin C; it won't hurt, and might help. Take Zinc supplements. Don't touch your face. Drink more water and less alcohol than you normally would. Try to get an extra hour of sleep.

Astro Cake posted:

Yes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you take more than about 150% the daily recommended dose of Vitamin C, you just piss out the excess within hours of consumption.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I think there might be a slight issue if you take a mega fuckton of vitamin C, something like 2000% daily recommended value. It may cause diarrhea, and problems relating to the uptake of iron.

Seriously though, you'd have to try to get that much in you, so don't worry about that.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
What exactly causes a latex condom to expire?

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."
Friction, Heat, Spermicide, etc.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Travakian posted:

This past summer I was "denied leave of entry" to the UK. Had fingerprint/photo taken and all that fun stuff -- was an issue with work visas (the lack thereof, really).

Anyhow.

Would this be a problem were I ever to head to the UK as a visitor / to work, with an actual visa? How about applying for a visa for other countries -- would this have to be mentioned, or can it be swept under the proverbial rug?

Possibly. In my experience, when you apply for a visa they usually ask you whether you've ever been denied a visa, so that is when it could come up.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Astro Cake posted:

In my tiny world, yes. I titled a Mylar-distorted photographic self-portrait Selkie and found myself explaining it often.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Arriviste posted:

In my tiny world, yes. I titled a Mylar-distorted photographic self-portrait Selkie and found myself explaining it often.

If you talk about Selkes around Hockey fans, we will assume you mean the Defensive Forward of the Year award.

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome
A quick question about accents in movies and on TV. When a foreign actor speaks in your native language, are you always able to tell that they are not native speakers? I'm Australian and I've never seen an actor do a convincing Aussie accent - is that because the accent is difficult to do or because a non-native speaker can never totally get an accent right?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Emmjay posted:

A quick question about accents in movies and on TV. When a foreign actor speaks in your native language, are you always able to tell that they are not native speakers? I'm Australian and I've never seen an actor do a convincing Aussie accent - is that because the accent is difficult to do or because a non-native speaker can never totally get an accent right?

Plenty of British actors can do a very convincing American accent. With people like Hugh Laurie (Dr. House) I would never be able to tell that they aren't native American English speakers. Maybe because people receive much more exposure to the American English accent than Australian accents? I dunno.

Edit: Looking over your post again, I'm not sure if you're asking about non-English speakers attempting to get the accent right or English speakers with different accents attempting to get a certain accent right. If it's the former, then that is much more difficult and I can't think of any actors off the top of my head that fit the criteria.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 11, 2010

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

Gravity Pike posted:

The Cavern of COBOL

:aaaaa: There's a whole sub forum I never even knew existed that covers exactly what I'm asking. Thankyou for your advice also :)

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I think there might be a slight issue if you take a mega fuckton of vitamin C, something like 2000% daily recommended value. It may cause diarrhea, and problems relating to the uptake of iron.

Seriously though, you'd have to try to get that much in you, so don't worry about that.

But vitamin C doesn't do anything to treat symptoms or decrease the duration of a cold/flu/any illness other than scurvy, so what's the point?

tl;dr High doses of vitamin C are dumb and pointless.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Liface posted:

I know with Facebook Insights, and the Facebook Social Graph (http://www.webgraphr.com/facebook-social-graph/www.somethingawful.com), you can track how many users are sharing which pages on your site.

However, assuming their profiles are public, is there a way to see user's status updates, to see what comments they are adding when they share links on your site?

I know the Facebook graph can be searched, but this doesn't seem to search their shares but rather only what they are saying in their statuses:
https://graph.facebook.com/search?q...v7_c7kMnVxWKhVo

This might work, if they pasted the URL into their status: http://youropenbook.org

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
If you could truly have something pick a integer between 0 and infinity, is the function possible at all to begin with? The range is infinity, so would the result always be infinity?

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
infinity isn't an integer :eng101: