Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Petey posted:

Cuban Yalie.

To be fair, the entire Latino population of YLS2013 is 1 Guatemalan girl, 1 Mexican-Asian LGBT girl, and 6 Cubans. There are more Cubans than people from my state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

The Warszawa posted:

To be fair, the entire Latino population of YLS2013 is 1 Guatemalan girl, 1 Mexican-Asian LGBT girl, and 6 Cubans. There are more Cubans than people from my state.

Certain states should get URM status.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mrtoodles posted:

Here's how the Sacramento DA's office works. Talking with people, it appears to be the model for several other DA's offices in the state as well. I haven't heard a ton, but I haven't heard of anybody who's doing it any differently:

Post-bar, you get a temporary job. It certainly helps if you worked in the office while you were a student. This job lasts a maximum of one year. It pays about $40k. This job entails discovery work, briefing, subpoenas, etc. If you're lucky, you will get to argue a couple motions to supress, speedy trial motions, or restitution hearings. If you're really really lucky you may get to try a misdemeanor case or two. I tried a case against a post-bar a couple months ago. It was spectacular. The work is nigh indistinguishable from what you'd do with a 2L or 3L externship for the office.

When hiring time rolls around, the DA's office will entertain outside applicants but will also cherrypick from their favorite temp employees. Sacramento hires almost exclusively from those who have already worked there. Larger offices interview tons of people, with about a 30 to 1 applicant to job opening ratio currently. Orange County recently interviewed for openings at over a 10 to 1 ratio. One of the positions went to a temp employee from Sacramento.

Budget issues have meant a slowdown in hiring, as have the economy overall (less natural attrition). But the DA's office is generally one of the last things to be cut. Turnover at a DA's office is generally decent. My impression is that DAs leaving to go into private defense is actually more common than PDs leaving to go into private defense. For an added bizareness, in Sacramento the PDs and the DAs not only belong to the same union (extremely common) but also share a rehire list (very unusual). Our PD's office laid off attorneys earlier this year. For any permanent hiring the DA wants to do for the next 2 years, they would first have to offer those positions to the laid-off PDs...
Actually, the Sac DAs office works like no one gets hired because no money. Ever.

In our quasi-suburban/quasi-rural county the DA doesn't have much in the way of volunteers or anything. Fresh out of law school? get a full calender. The fresh out of law school student here has done more trials than any other DA this year. Like 20+, I think.
But really, don't be a DA in California, it sucks. The law sucks. It isn't liberal.
Become a PD. More fun.
Also fun fact, no one cares where you went to law school. Went to Duke? Might as well ahve gone to Cal Western. Actually Cal Western is probably better off because you've interned for a CA DA's office.

In general, smaller offices will get you doing full calenders and such sooner. Urban counties will do better training and at the end of the day pay better, have better resources, and cooler cases.
Very common in CA is to work in a poo poo area like Fresno or Bakersfield then transfer to the bay.

Defleshed posted:

He is literally the only person who should be in law school right now.
No poo poo. You know how some law students go out and buy a new car because they "know" they'll ahve money when they graduate. We mock them, they go bankrupt, etc? You could do that. (Don't though)

Gadamer posted:

Kentucky

nm fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 11, 2010

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Gadamer posted:

In some cases they do.

e: at least it works this way to some degree in college admissions, I imagine it plays a role in law school as well (take two otherwise indistinguishable candidates, make one from NYC and one from ND, and you'll take the latter almost every time, partially because looking like an NYC kid from ND is a pretty good achievement, partially because it's nice to have different folks from different places in practice and in presentation)

Petey fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 11, 2010

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

quote:

Now, here comes the "slippery-slope" of "legalese": The Constitution was never intended for the US citizen!! Proof of this statement can be found at Padelford, Fay, & Co. v. The Mayor and Alderman of the City of Savannah [14 Georgia 438, 520].

If I have gleaned your full attention, then you will desire to learn more - especially if you wish to regain your sovereignty!! Please note, I never have and never will asked for any type or form of compensation for the research that I do. Why? Because you, the citizens of the united States have a RIGHT to know the truth.

Here is a (virus free) link to a "pdf" file that explains this matter in great detail (31 pages). I recommend reading it, studieing it, living it. Anyone who tells you that using "UCC 1-308" to regain your sovereignty is pointless, does not know the law! Ignorance of the law is no excuse!!

The United States government is a corporation, and therefore, bound by the UCC - on all levels of government, federal, state, and local!!!

quote:

You may want to reconsider quoting the UCC when signing things. The UCC is copyrighted and you may face potential infringement issues if you quote direct sections such as "UCC 1-207". The term "Without Prejudice" is a legal remedy that should satisfy everything you'd probably want to accomplish by quoting the UCC.

quote:

Much of the original U.S. common law has been codified in a single Federal statute, the Uniform Commercial Code.

sovereign citizen law is the best kind of law

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Harry Ellis posted:

passed bar>5days>legal job offer (30-atty civil lit defense; associate position)
Congrats!

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

nm posted:

Actually, the Sac DAs office works like no one gets hired because no money. Ever.

Truth: They made one full-time hire this year that I am aware of. Several last year though.

Agree with what you said on don't be a DA though. Before you get to lock up bad people for the rest of their lives you have to ruin the lives of countless dozens of ordinary and down on their luck folks. You'll be forced to think of everybody who may have broken any law in any way ever so slightly as the scum of the earth who needs to be taught a lesson in pain and suffering... as if that hasn't already been their life.

You will have no discretion of your own. If you show a hint of being anything less than a complete rear end in a top hat they will fire you. Or if you've passed probation, they will send you to DA Siberia trying paper cases with no chance that you'll ever supervise somebody else.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My mom's friend's cousin works at an environmental law firm and offered to put a word in for me but I have to come up with a reason why I'm interested in environmental law. I'm not but I still want a job, what's a good thing to make up to explain why I love/hate the environment (not sure which side the firm's on yet, still don't care)

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

JohnnyTreachery posted:

sovereign citizen law is the best kind of law

An otherwise reasonable friend of mine pulled the "You're a law student have you heard of ______?" card the other day and asked me about (i) sovereign citizenship and (ii) if there was any truth to the "capital letter version of your name is a corporate entity and not you" thing.

I had a hard time explaining how stupid it was without using the word "horseshit" every other word. Instead, I just copied and pasted a few helpful links that explain how batshit crazy this crap is.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Rural Alaskan clerkship update:

My two favorite cases ever were filed recently. One is a guy who is suing the Alaska Bar Association for various crazy things. He immediately used his free preempt on his first judge, then filed a second preempt against his second for cause because the judge is a member of the Alaska Bar Association. The second judge denied it, and the guy moved for reconsideration. A third judge reconsidered it. The guy immediately filed an identical preempt motion on the third judge reconsidering the denial of the second judge's preempt. This will undoubtedly cycle out of control very quickly.

In the other case, for some bizarre reason the defendant's attorney filed a counterclaim against the plaintiff, then immediately filed a separate suit against the plaintiff with the exact same claims. Now, of course, the defendant's attorney is arguing against consolidating the two cases.

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

mrtoodles posted:

You should be applying to every firm in the country regardless of whether they say they have a 1L diversity program. Try to go make bank for a couple summers and then get a clerkship out of school and then head to the government.

This. Off the top of my head, firms that hired URM 1Ls from my year and the year after me included: Debevoise, Dewey, Wachtell, Orrick, Akin, Baker Botts, Mintz Levin, and MoFo.

ewr2870 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 11, 2010

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
To want-to-be PA/DA intern goons, it is doable. I have mediocre grades at a T2 school and did it both summers.

I got my 1L-2L county prosecutor's internship after some semi-targeted resume bombing with the help of one of our career services people who knew all the prosecutors. I am sure her hand was in my getting a spot. Go for it but be modest with your expectations, you almost certainly can't first-chair a misdemeanor trial or an evidence hearing or anything yet. But you can be that person who constantly offered to help everyone however you can, and always did a good job.

I got my 2L-3L internship (paid!) because I participated in the criminal clinic my 2L year and continued to keep my head peeked in the doors of former APA's at my law school, the ones I had met through my 1L summer, and the ones I had met working with the other-other county prosecutors' as part of the clinic. The recommendations of that career services former prosecutor, and the teacher of the clinic (also a prosecutor) carried me a long way.

It seems to me that prosecutors keep a tight community. They move around all the time and they keep in touch with each other when they move, so word can get around about you. Especially if someone's asking about you, or even if they merely say "hey I got 20 pounds of resumes on my desk, who do you like?"

The thing that has served me best so far is just actually wanting to be a prosecutor. Your name will get out that way, assuming you're decently capable and you walk the talk. Take all the trial practice and crim law you can, claw your way into a clinic if you've got one, and dear god get to know any current or former prosecutor that works at your law school. Try to get inertia working for you. Get hired at the PA's office because you worked at the other PA's office last year and you can call the lawyers you helped out and they'll say you're good.

Also if your state has a certification program that will allow you to try cases or first-chair evidence hearings, get all over that. You can be :smugdog: with all your classmates who haven't convicted anyone or bulldozed a real attorney's argument as to why nobody should hear about those drugs in his client's car.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My dad wants me to talk to a solo practitioner IP attorney in Miami when I go home for Thanksgiving.

I don't see what the point is.

a) I'm not FL-barred.
b) I'd have to move (or, more to the point, my wife would have to find a new job too and she doesn't have a door-opening degree like a JD, just a MS in Chemistry, ho ho ho)
c) I just started working from home at my current job and I like showing up to work in my boxers

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

TheAttackSlug posted:

You can be :smugdog: with all your classmates who haven't convicted anyone or bulldozed a real attorney's argument as to why nobody should hear about those drugs in his client's car.

Let's get one thing straight buddy: prosecutors don't bulldoze arguments. State Court judges bulldoze arguments. Harmless error and deferential standards of review are a crutch for screwing over defendants.

Harmless error is one of the biggest laughers to me at this point. Talking to juries after trials can be amazingly entertaining and infuriating. They can tend to ignore huge things and latch on to the most inane crap in the world.

For some appellate judge to say "Oh it's harmless errors cuz it wouldn't make a difference to reasonable jurors" is an absolute joke. What passes for a reasonable juror is quite frequently an insane person who merely pays lip service to following the law, or draws completely bizarre inferences (And yes, that can cut both ways).

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

My dad wants me to talk to a solo practitioner IP attorney in Miami when I go home for Thanksgiving.

I don't see what the point is.

a) I'm not FL-barred.
b) I'd have to move (or, more to the point, my wife would have to find a new job too and she doesn't have a door-opening degree like a JD, just a MS in Chemistry, ho ho ho)
c) I just started working from home at my current job and I like showing up to work in my boxers
Also, d) what you're doing now pays better and is stable.

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008
That may be. I wasn't talking about the controversies of criminal procedure and the appellate process, though. Haven't made it that far.

I have made it to looking over ten-item motions to suppress evidence and testimony that are barely colorable. I'm talking about routine drug/DWI charges, routine whargggggble from the defense about how the police have raped the Constitution, and routine refusal by judges to exclude evidence on them.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Ainsley McTree posted:

My mom's friend's cousin works at an environmental law firm and offered to put a word in for me but I have to come up with a reason why I'm interested in environmental law. I'm not but I still want a job, what's a good thing to make up to explain why I love/hate the environment (not sure which side the firm's on yet, still don't care)

"I am fascinated by the interaction of regulations with the potential of criminal prosecution, as well as the host of public policy and theoretical issues that are raised by environmental law. Also, Rush's The Trees loving owns."

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

"Environmental law is the most important aspect of the law today. At stake is the future of our economic system and how it uses resources. I hope to help our clients and society at large by arguing for a balance between development and conservation. blah blah blah"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mrtoodles posted:

Harmless error is one of the biggest laughers to me at this point. Talking to juries after trials can be amazingly entertaining and infuriating. They can tend to ignore huge things and latch on to the most inane crap in the world.

For some appellate judge to say "Oh it's harmless errors cuz it wouldn't make a difference to reasonable jurors" is an absolute joke. What passes for a reasonable juror is quite frequently an insane person who merely pays lip service to following the law, or draws completely bizarre inferences (And yes, that can cut both ways).
This is why my 273.5 with a black eye became a 243(e)(1). WTH?

Also, if the Sac DA hired someone it was some laid off person. Doesn't count.

So you headed off to biglaw?

-------
I would note as some who did prosecution in MN, prosecution in CA is a very different animal. California is very "tough on crime" and thanks to prop 8 (no, the other one), defendants basically have no rights anymore. Sonoma County is the only DA's office i know of that is sane out here. Maybe SF too, but they're not civil service and that sucks.
You'll be getting your start in the loving valley though and that si where they 3 strike people who steal baloney.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 11, 2010

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

nm posted:

This is why my 273.5 with a black eye became a 243(e)(1). WTH?

Also, if the Sac DA hired someone it was some laid off person. Doesn't count.

So you headed off to biglaw?

Clearly they agreed he battered her but she got the black eye somewhere else. Or despite the jury instruction, a black eye just doesn't feellike a "traumatic condition."

I like the drink after drive or no drive cases where the dude blows like a 0.34% BAC and they convict on the A and acquit on the B. I've seen two of those this year. It makes me want to slam my face into a wall.

(For those of you not practicing criminal law in CA, A is "driving under the influence" and B is "driving at or above a .08")

The Sac DA hired a fulltime ADA from it's temp workers in July. County budget went final on a Friday, PD layoffs were effective on Monday. They hired her on Saturday. She started last December after the bar as a temp. She went to Hastings.

Yes, I am headed to biglaw. I am done with criminal defense work in less than a month. Perhaps forever. Perhaps just until I flunk out of biglaw and come back to the valley and open shop with you.

srsly fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 11, 2010

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

cendien posted:

Uhm. I hate to admit to this. But do you know me?

Do you go to a T9 law school in the upper midwest that isn't the University of Chicago?

If so, yes.

Tetrix posted:

Honestly, for the 1L summer, anything legal related is fine.

Seconding this. I had a super-un-prestigious job (but one that gave me a lot of real experience and therefore a lot of stuff to talk about in interviews) last summer and I did fine at OCI, where it actually matters.

This was especially key because I had the job lined up already as a backup to firms and didn't even have to think, and therefore stress out about, looking for work during finals period

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mrtoodles posted:

I like the drink after drive or no drive cases where the dude blows like a 0.34% BAC and they convict on the A and acquit on the B. I've seen two of those this year. It makes me want to slam my face into a wall.
Heh, I may take a .3 blood to trial by years end here. (.18 PAS, oh yeah Officer Jackass, tell me the PAS is accurate)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

"I am fascinated by the interaction of regulations with the potential of criminal prosecution, as well as the host of public policy and theoretical issues that are raised by environmental law. Also, Rush's The Trees loving owns."

If this gets you an interview, sing the answers as if you were Geddy Lee.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

TheAttackSlug posted:

That may be. I wasn't talking about the controversies of criminal procedure and the appellate process, though. Haven't made it that far.

I have made it to looking over ten-item motions to suppress evidence and testimony that are barely colorable. I'm talking about routine drug/DWI charges, routine whargggggble from the defense about how the police have raped the Constitution, and routine refusal by judges to exclude evidence on them.

Hey you gotta try something, a guy deserves a vigorous defense even if he's guilty as poo poo. You'd want your lawyer to try poo poo, not just give up because "the judge is never gonna let us exclude this."

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Thank you all for your replies. I didn't realize how different DA office culture was from state to state, although I guess I should have. I'm going to add in a few fistfuls of metros and I'll try to find some more professors to talk to.

Is there a better way to find offices than just googling up state county maps and then searching for their corresponding DAs?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

ewr2870 posted:

This. Off the top of my head, firms that hired URM 1Ls from my year and the year after me included: Debevoise, Dewey, Wachtell, Orrick, Akin, Baker Botts, Mintz Levin, and MoFo.
Milbank, I think, has a program where they give you a 50k scholarship if you come there for the summer. Not sure if it's contingent on coming back full time.

Difficult to compete with that.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Sulecrist posted:

Thank you all for your replies. I didn't realize how different DA office culture was from state to state, although I guess I should have. I'm going to add in a few fistfuls of metros and I'll try to find some more professors to talk to.

Is there a better way to find offices than just googling up state county maps and then searching for their corresponding DAs?

I don't really know the answer to your question, but with a quick google search:

http://www.eatoncounty.org/Departments/ProsecutingAttorney/ProsList.htm

and i don't remember if it was you that was interested in Nor Cal, but Hastings has a few listed: http://www.uchastings.edu/careers/students/resource-center/joblinks.html

Also a good website I've found for public interest is Yale Career Services: http://www.law.yale.edu/studentlife/cdostudentpublicinterest.htm. They have some decent guides on there. Although it is a little depressing that most of them just assume everyone will have a clerkship and law firm job after graduation if they so choose.

Tetrix fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 11, 2010

Harry Ellis
Nov 9, 2004

Hans, bubby, I'm your white knight!

Ersatz posted:

Congrats!

Thank you; I feel extremely lucky which is pretty sad/funny.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

So, the OCI interviewer at my school for Foley & Lardner asked everyone if they knew what "The Trees" was about.

The answer he was looking for was Quebecois secessionism.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Napoleon I posted:

So, the OCI interviewer at my school for Foley & Lardner asked everyone if they knew what "The Trees" was about.

I don't see how that could be right, the maple is obviously a symbol of Canada, but in the song the oak is the establishment while the maple is the oppressed group.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Napoleon I posted:

Foley & Lardner is in free fall. We're traditionally their go-to school (we're cheap and they usually can poach the top 5-10 percent of our class) and they are barely hiring anyone this year.

Basically the answer he was actually looking for was "we have no money, I am currently being paid in 'buy one get one free' coupons from Burger King"

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

The guy they have on their website has the biggest poo poo eating grin I've seen in years.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

JudicialRestraints posted:

Basically the answer he was actually looking for was "we have no money, I am currently being paid in 'buy one get one free' coupons from Burger King"

Should've worked for Rick Scott's gubernatorial campaign and gotten paid in gift cards instead.

Maybe the truck system is finally making a real comeback...

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Sworn in as a 1st Lieutenant in the Army Reserve JAG today, Veteran's Day! :3:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Defleshed posted:

You guys skip 2nd Lt?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Ahahahah I have to go to a major mediation on Tuesday and I have a rather large, bloody scratch across my left eye from sparring.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing for trying to coerce the other side to settle?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Gadamer posted:

You guys skip 2nd Lt?

I'm pretty sure all the branches (except maybe the Corps) commission at O2 for JAG, or if they don't you are O1 for a very negligible amount of time. But yes I effectively skipped a rank!

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 11, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

CaptainScraps posted:

Ahahahah I have to go to a major mediation on Tuesday and I have a rather large, bloody scratch across my left eye from sparring.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing for trying to coerce the other side to settle?

Just pull a G. Gordon Liddy.

While the other side is laying out their position, light a candle and hold your hand over it until everyone in the room smells your charred flesh. Apparently that works on prison gangs.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Defleshed posted:

Congrats! Try not to send your commanding officer emails addressing him as "buttfucker"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

The practice area can be fascinating. No, it actually can be. Large environmental cases have a huge amount of science and research involved. Dueling experts and so on. Laws surrounding EIS is interesting too.
And you might actually go to trial in this stuff.
Water law is often an offshoot of environmental law and that area is actually pretty cool in the western states. The laws here are so stupid.

And I'm a criminal lawyer who looks at civil with contempt. Did environmental moot court in law school, it was actually pretty drat interesting.

Unless this is a true white hat firm (very very few), they don't give a poo poo if you're drill baby drill or a member of greenpeace (actually they'd prefer neither of them -- most cases have "grey" hats). Just tell them how interested you are in the subject matter and litigation (if applicable).