Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I finally got around to uploading these from the end of May: The Shouting Matches, the side project of Bon Iver's Justin Vernon and Peter Wolf Crier's Brien Moen, both from my hometown of Eau Claire. Their May performance was the first since December 2008, it was an exciting event for a town not used to notoriety. Just this morning I found this article on Pitchfork (third item down,) and they have my video of it up on there. I had been wondering how it got so many views. :v:

The Shouting Matches by You, Me & Nikon, on Flickr

Brien Moen broke his snare drum head during the set, which they both signed for me afterwards. :3:

Siggies by You, Me & Nikon, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Girlfriend won a contest with Virgin America, and one of the prizes was a private show with Broken Social Scene!

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

IMG_2963

I did a shoot tonight for a local band, and just pulled one picture out that caught my eye and did a real quick edit of it. It's been awhile, I forgot how fun promo shoots are.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Sorry for my long absence. I had some computer issues and have had a lack of access to really all of my photos for a couple of weeks. I'm finishing up a sizeable contact list that should be done by the end of the week or so and I'm going to put a gallery of my ozzfest photos up soon on the sound surveillance site as well. In the meantime, I've been doing a lot of toying around with one of my Andrew WK shots that I took back at Warped Tour in August going for a really cinematic look. I'm fairly pleased with what resulted from a fairly normal looking portrait.

Thoughts?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

rockcity posted:

Sorry for my long absence. I had some computer issues and have had a lack of access to really all of my photos for a couple of weeks. I'm finishing up a sizeable contact list that should be done by the end of the week or so and I'm going to put a gallery of my ozzfest photos up soon on the sound surveillance site as well. In the meantime, I've been doing a lot of toying around with one of my Andrew WK shots that I took back at Warped Tour in August going for a really cinematic look. I'm fairly pleased with what resulted from a fairly normal looking portrait.

Thoughts?

That is loving ridiculous. Care to do a write up on it?

Also un-fun side note: The Sound Surveillance site seems to be giving me an error when I try to upload a picture to it. Can anyone else give it a try and see if it's just on my end or something that we need to resolve?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Those Broken Social Scene shots would have been better if they hadn't have spunked the budget on all those pink and red lights. Ugh.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Blame Virgin America hah, it was their party. I doubt that's the normal lighting for the restaurant, heh.

But I kind of like it :shobon:

Certainly looks different from every other show I've been to, and it was bright enough to not really have much trouble with slow shutter speeds. Also, the pink background was a dream for healing out errant mics or hands right from Lightroom.

The majority of my shots were ruined by one tall bald guy right up front somehow poking his head in no matter what angle I shot from. I mostly had to shoot with my E-P1 being held way over my head. Love the live-view.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
First show I've shot in about 6 months. I don't get out much any more:

A band from Melbourne called Alpine. They were pretty decent. It seems like I was loving me some portrait orientation this evening.

psylent fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 5, 2010

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Hey, anyone got any good hints on local bands/haunts to check out in LA/San Francisco? Hitting those places up in March before and after SXSW and want to see some local stuff, maybe get some pics.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Here are my pics from the Monotonix (pronounced like monotonous but with an x) last night. They're Israeli Punk, and were pretty awesome.

http://tfatf.dphoto.com/#/album/cc73ci/

This rather large girl, before the band even started got on their drum kit and started wailing away and just screaming. She'd roll around on the stage with her jeans falling off. It was gross. Finally security pushed her away from the kit, the band came out and she ran back in and was just loving with them all night. There was only 1 security guy there so they couldn't really deal with it.

This was a pretty typical scene. The 45 year old singer being hoisted above the crowd.

The band set up on top of the bar after a few minutes.

Then they had enough of that bourgeoise inside bullshit, so they moved all of their equipment outside and played out there for a while.

Then they went back in for the finale, and gave some speech about how "You all think America is evil right?" and the crowd all cheered, and then they're like "You guys should travel more." *awesome music*

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 6, 2010

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Took some pictures of Dweezil Zappa's band, Zappa plays Zappa yesterday. Had a slight psychotic episode apparently since I have a complete blackout and was supposedly acting very strange, all without booze or drugs.

I think they turned out ok, considering I don't remember it :)

http://www.kennethdepoorter.be/photos/music/dweezil-zappa/

Probably have to be more strict in my selection, but I'm horrible at that. I hate that part.
Dweezil doesn't seem to have a lot of facial expressions either apparently.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just as a warning to anyone planning on photographing Mayer Hawthorne, even if it doesn't say so in the media pass confirmation e-mail, there's a three-song limit that you won't get any warning about and after that his lackeys start pestering you if you keep taking photos.

HPL fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 9, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
This is an older picture of Title Fight from the summer about to break 1k views on flickr

Title Fight-43 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Squirtl
Oct 29, 2010
so i'm currently attending Savannah College of Art and Design for photography and this is what i really want to get into. Any tips on how to get into a magazines like Rolling Stones or Billboard or Paste?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Squirtl posted:

so i'm currently attending Savannah College of Art and Design for photography and this is what i really want to get into. Any tips on how to get into a magazines like Rolling Stones or Billboard or Paste?

My first tip would be don't waste your money trying to pursue concert photography if you're at an amazing school like SCAD. Shooting for Rolling Stone is as much about being in the right city and knowing the right people as anything. I don't know about Billboard or Paste but I can't imagine they pay very well.

This isn't an industry you can ever expect to make a living in so you're better off focusing on studio photography or some other pursuit while you're in college.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

MMD3 posted:

My first tip would be don't waste your money trying to pursue concert photography if you're at an amazing school like SCAD. Shooting for Rolling Stone is as much about being in the right city and knowing the right people as anything. I don't know about Billboard or Paste but I can't imagine they pay very well.

This isn't an industry you can ever expect to make a living in so you're better off focusing on studio photography or some other pursuit while you're in college.

Defiantly the last part. For example I'm currently in school for video production and that's what I'm planning on doing as a career (that or being an EMT). I just do concert photography for fun.

I love shooting shows with no barriers and a dedicated crowd. I love photos with the crowd interacting.

IMG_2806 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 10, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
N'thing "Concert Photography is not a career". Shooting concerts I've made maybe $100 in a year. I will say that it is good networking and can drive a lot of traffic to your website, while giving you a certain air of "cool" other photogs might not have. So in the "photography is serious business" scheme of things its not that bad for helping get senior pictures or weddings. Though actual marketing would probably be a more efficient use of time.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

psylent posted:

First show I've shot in about 6 months. I don't get out much any more:
A band from Melbourne called Alpine. They were pretty decent. It seems like I was loving me some portrait orientation this evening.

Good stuff :)

I'm shooting a bunch of Melbourne bands tonight (In Melbourne), so hopefully it's a good night.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Shot Monotonix (which does not rhyme with monotonous) for the second time last friday. They were actually the first band I ever photographed. Kind of cool to see my progression from that show to this. If you ever get a chance to see these guys I highly recommend it.

Monotonix @ The Loft-20101106-014 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

Monotonix @ The Loft-20101106-010 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

Monotonix @ The Loft-20101106-030 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

Watch out for this dude, though. He'll spit in your 24-70 :gonk:

Monotonix @ The Loft-20101106-026 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Don't know if I posted this shot from Warped Tour (Enter Shikari) earlier but these guys are nuts live

Enter Shikari-38 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
bamf. You Am I, Jet (eeegh) and Powderfinger played a show last night, and I ended up with a corrupt CF card :( My other two worked out fine though!

^goddamn I love the Sigma 50mm 1.4, when the 5D focus works well at least.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Crosspostin from SAD and I don't care

I got to shoot Jeff Daniels (The Other Guy From Dumb And Dumber™) last night. He sings songs, did you know that? He was great, he got the audience involved, and even sang about my first car :)

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 14, 2010

Machines
Jul 11, 2010
How do people shoot without using flash? I tried to use the natural light but everything just came out too dark. Anywhere here is some shots from a gig I was at the other night:

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Machines posted:

How do people shoot without using flash? I tried to use the natural light but everything just came out too dark. Anywhere here is some shots from a gig I was at the other night:

Depends on the venue. Judging by those pictures there's no way you could have done it. You need some really big lights, or a camera that can do good high ISO performance. Having both is probably the only way to get them coming out good though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That venue looks like it doesn't have any lighting. It helps if there are spots on the stage/performers.

Besides that, we use fast lenses (f/1.4 - 1.8) (usually primes), high ISOs, shooting in RAW, and as slow a shutter-speed as we can get away with. Post-processing noise-reduction helps get away with high ISOs.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Trying to make the most out of a great show by an up and coming band, Fitz & The Tantrums, at one of the worst lit venues in town with the whole band wearing black against a black backdrop.

Fitz_126 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Fitz_050 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Fitz_178 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Fitz_158 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Fitz_055 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Really frustrated by my framing of this one but he only pointed for like a second.

Fitz_148 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Great band though, everyone should watch this music video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb6cBKE3WzQ

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MMD3 posted:

Really frustrated by my framing of this one but he only pointed for like a second.

Crop it tighter so his back is against the right side of the frame.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HPL posted:

Crop it tighter so his back is against the right side of the frame.

good call! will give that a go when I get home.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MMD3 posted:

good call! will give that a go when I get home.

I do that all the time, especially with bands that move around a lot. Taking the time to do a little cropping here and there can really tighten up a photo set. One trick I use is that for jump shots, I crop as much of the top of the photo as possible so the subject is at the top of the frame. It makes it look like they're jumping way higher than if they're in the middle of the frame.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HPL posted:

I do that all the time, especially with bands that move around a lot. Taking the time to do a little cropping here and there can really tighten up a photo set. One trick I use is that for jump shots, I crop as much of the top of the photo as possible so the subject is at the top of the frame. It makes it look like they're jumping way higher than if they're in the middle of the frame.

I have this stigma about changing the aspect ratio when I crop that I really need to get over... I usually do a decent amount of cropping but I rushed through editing these. I cropped this one to an odd size but wish I would have shot it in landscape or backed up a bit further.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinkent/5178592099/in/set-72157625392635496/

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MMD3 posted:

I have this stigma about changing the aspect ratio when I crop that I really need to get over... I usually do a decent amount of cropping but I rushed through editing these. I cropped this one to an odd size but wish I would have shot it in landscape or backed up a bit further.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinkent/5178592099/in/set-72157625392635496/

Oh no, of course I meant cropping while keeping the aspect ratio. I find that having a photo set with the photos all different aspect ratios looks sloppy.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
A bit of cropping and those are brilliant shots. He photographs well.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

MMD3 posted:

:words:

If that is one of the worst lit venues in town then I'm jealous. One of the worst ones here has like 4 or 5 100 watt bulbs aimed at the stage, and some track lighting on the stage. Another venue has two flood colored flood lights, one on each side of the stage. Another venue has Christmas lights behind where the band plays and that's it. A venue that just closed had Christmas lights around the stage and that was it. It kind of makes it difficult.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

AtomicManiac posted:

If that is one of the worst lit venues in town then I'm jealous. One of the worst ones here has like 4 or 5 100 watt bulbs aimed at the stage, and some track lighting on the stage. Another venue has two flood colored flood lights, one on each side of the stage. Another venue has Christmas lights behind where the band plays and that's it. A venue that just closed had Christmas lights around the stage and that was it. It kind of makes it difficult.

well... worst of the 200+ capacity venues I guess, there are plenty of holes but for a medium sized venue this place is pretty bad. black backdrop and heavy on the red light = pain in the rear end.

pwn
May 27, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

Another venue has two flood colored flood lights
What colour is "Flood"?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

pwn posted:

What colour is "Flood"?

Haha *They're ugly red flood lights.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

"WAITING FOR THE drat BAND"

Shooting in a small club with nice lighting, the show was sold out so I had no room to move. Another photographer squeezed her way to the front and I noticed her shooting a 50mm at 1/15 ISO200 f/1.8 - I helped her out by getting her to bump her ISO up to 1600, switching the shutter speed to 1/100s and changing her white balance to tungsten from flash. Magically her photos weren't orange blurry messes. :sci101:

psylent fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 19, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I was going through my photos and found this one of Transit. This show was awesome

Transit-49 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Good article on getting paid for live gigs by Dan Boud

quote:

I worked out some time ago that shooting live music photos is no way to make a living. Concert photos are a dime a dozen. Most shows have at least ten accredited photographers shooting them, not to mention the dozens of people photographing from the crowd.

Everyone is getting very similar photos. We all use pretty much the same cameras and lenses. The show we shoot tours around the country with the same staging night after night. Every week hundreds and thousands of adequately professional photos of an artists performance are produced.

There’s lots of supply but where’s the demand?

Magazines, newspapers and websites might run your photos, but don’t expect to make money from it.

You might get $20 if you’re shooting for street press. You might make a wee bit more if your shot makes it to one of the few local monthly music mags. If you’re shooting for a website you’ll likely get nothing. If you’re shooting for an agency you’ll likely make peanuts unless something out of the ordinary happens at the show. The daily papers don’t usually use a photo with their reviews and if they do it’ll be shot by a staffer or pulled from a wire service.

The fact is when i look around a photo pit these days i can tell most people aren’t getting paid for it. They’re shooting for fun. It’s a hobby they have after they knock off their day job. They get a ticket to a show, shoot quite reasonable shots on their digital SLR the day job bought, and supply the photos to a website or paper that doesn’t pay them for their work. The photographers payment is a ticket to the show and the kudos they get when publishing the shots and getting comments like “Great capture!” or “I wish i had your job!”.

And who am i to begrudge these people? That was me. That’s how i learned my craft. I used to shoot hundreds of shows for little reimbursement. But not anymore. Ego boosting web comments aren’t enough to sustain me.

The pictures you see here were paid for by brands who paid to put on a music event to bring positive publicity to their brands.

Like the artists who receive a healthy paycheck to play corporate or branded events, i’m quite willing to do the same to photograph them. Sure, I feel a little icky when making sure i frame branding into shots, when my instincts would be to crop it out. But that discomfort is short lived. The cash that pays for my rent and camera gear makes up for that.

This is not a rant to implore people not to shoot for free or lambast publications that don’t pay. That horse has well and truly bolted. But thankfully there’s still the odd job that’ll pay fairly, and if it means shooting some logos and drinks and mobile phones to go with the performance shots then i’m all for it.
I think he's right on the money here. I only shoot for fun now, I'm sick of shooting for local websites who seem to try and make you feel like they're doing you a favour by providing them with free content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I was never in it for money, but free concert tickets (for shows of my choosing) is a huge unexpected perk.