Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.

Chicken McNobody posted:

drat my luck. Is there anyone else in the WORLD who would start her period AS SHE WAS PEEING ON THE STICK. :ughh: $6 wasted plus my husband laughed at me for being freaked out enough to go buy the test in the first place. Oh well, at least I have an extra just lying around now.

Order these: http://www.amazon.com/Devon-Medical-WS-1-Pregnancy-Strips/dp/B0002YIQEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288364791&sr=8-1

or a higher quantity if you want. SO much cheaper that you won't feel guilty "wasting" one on the day your period starts (which has happened to me two months in a row).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

I Wish I Was posted:

Order these: http://www.amazon.com/Devon-Medical-WS-1-Pregnancy-Strips/dp/B0002YIQEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288364791&sr=8-1

or a higher quantity if you want. SO much cheaper that you won't feel guilty "wasting" one on the day your period starts (which has happened to me two months in a row).

That's what I did (not the same supplier, but an Aussie one) - I bought ~40 I think, then I didn't feel bad randomly using them, or peeing every day haha

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
I have those, and I definitely didn't feel bad peeing on one randomly. I'm keeping them around even though we're no longer trying to conceive for my moments when I am stricken with terror over my period being a day late. They'll expire before we start trying again, so might as well get my money's worth in peace of mind!

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
I'm going to my Planned Parenthood tomorrow to go back on birth control. I feel sort of conflicted. I feel sad that it's not happening now, but as soon as we decided to put it on the back burner again I felt all this pressure that I didn't even know was there melt away. Like, I'm more secure in knowing that my way of life isn't going to change for a while.

I truthfully feel really guilty for the amount of relief I feel. Like maybe I didn't get pregnant because I didn't deserve too because I wasn't "all in". I know it's probably just silly guilt for nothing, but it's still there.

I just keep trying to tell myself that I'll be even more prepared when it happens and have far more financial stability. Maybe all things do happen for a reason. :unsmith:

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.
We stopped trying for about 4 years while getting ourselves financially stable, and now it finally feels right. There were times when it was difficult (like when my empty uterus was screaming at me!), but I think we did the right thing. Like I think you're doing the right thing.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

The oval office Pickle posted:

I'm going to my Planned Parenthood tomorrow to go back on birth control. I feel sort of conflicted. I feel sad that it's not happening now, but as soon as we decided to put it on the back burner again I felt all this pressure that I didn't even know was there melt away. Like, I'm more secure in knowing that my way of life isn't going to change for a while.

I truthfully feel really guilty for the amount of relief I feel. Like maybe I didn't get pregnant because I didn't deserve too because I wasn't "all in". I know it's probably just silly guilt for nothing, but it's still there.

I just keep trying to tell myself that I'll be even more prepared when it happens and have far more financial stability. Maybe all things do happen for a reason. :unsmith:

I get that. I have huge guilt issues and it comes from years of growing up with people putting me through guilt trips. I hate it. I feel a lot of things even on the verge of ttc. Anxiety, want, longing, guilt, happiness, stress, selfishness. I definitely want to have kids, I just seem to hit the "OMG, what the eff am I doing?! I'll make a terrible mother! Our kids are doomed!" phases once in a while. Since going off of the pill, they've come more frequently. I don't think you should feel guilty about relief though. TTC is serious and its stressful. I think you're making a fantastic choice and you have got some will power! :-)

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Holy poo poo I'm ovulating!

I guess I should say that I have a VERY positive OPK, my right lower abdomen is hurting, and my temps look like they're about to head up. I am extremely excited because it's only Day 23 of my cycle, and last cycle I ovulated around day 50 (which caught us off guard and we missed our chance), and the 51-day cycle before THAT was anovulatory. So this might be the first time since June that we're able to time things right and have a REAL chance! A day 23 ovulation would also be right in line with my menstrual cycles before I went on birth control a few years ago, so I'm hoping...:ohdear:

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Banana Cat, good luck!!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Okay, I read the whole thread, I swear!

After pages and pages of people recommending TCOYF, I bought the book. I'm on chapter 11 now and I've learned so much.

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 7 months now. I know people say that you should wait a year before thinking bad things, but I wanted to get all possibilities out of the way first. As soon as my period starts, which should be next week, I will start tracking my temp and checking that cervical fluid. I also bought an OPK so I'll use that when I notice a change in my cervical fluid.

This thread and the book have brought me renewed hope at getting pregnant. I had started getting so depressed whenever my period would come, crying and everything. I felt so alone because I didn't want to worry my husband. But to be honest, we'd only been trying casually and I was on the pill up until March, when we started trying, so for all I know, I could have just gotten back to hormonal normals last month.

My biggest issue is trying not to get mad at my husband when we don't conceive. Our schedules are so different that I only see him for about one or two hours after I get home from work and before he goes to bed on weekdays. By that point, he's too tired to have sex and I feel completely frustrated. I've been bad and accused him of not really wanting to have a baby. I'm taking my stress out on him and feel like the biggest bitch because of it.

Anyhow, reading the TCOYF book has made me more calm and we can approach this in a more learned matter, so I don't feel bad anymore.

My only problem is I'm not sure how effective checking cervical fluid is. I've never really noticed it before, but that's probably because I've never had to take notice before. I just hope that now that I know what I'm looking for, it will be obvious.

Anyhow, that's all for me. I'm rooting for everyone in this thread and all the people lurking about who aren't sure if they should post. Good luck everyone!

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
I have a similar problem with my husband. He hates the idea of trying, so I can't really talk to him about it. But I'm desperate to get pregnant. :(
Don't wait until he's going to bed to try to have sex! I make that mistake a lot. Then he's too tired. And I'm mad because doesn't he know he's WASTING MY FERTILITY!

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Bodnoirbabe I had to get my cervical fluid from my cervix to check it. Checking at the vaginal opening, looking at underwear, or wiping generally didn't work for me.

That worked out anyway because it got me more used to cervical position and what was high and what was low. You're supposed to check your cervical fluid 3 times a day and then put the most fertile type on your chart iirc so that was a lot of scientific vagina fishing ;)

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Okay, I read the whole thread, I swear!

After pages and pages of people recommending TCOYF, I bought the book. I'm on chapter 11 now and I've learned so much.

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 7 months now. I know people say that you should wait a year before thinking bad things, but I wanted to get all possibilities out of the way first. As soon as my period starts, which should be next week, I will start tracking my temp and checking that cervical fluid. I also bought an OPK so I'll use that when I notice a change in my cervical fluid.

This thread and the book have brought me renewed hope at getting pregnant. I had started getting so depressed whenever my period would come, crying and everything. I felt so alone because I didn't want to worry my husband. But to be honest, we'd only been trying casually and I was on the pill up until March, when we started trying, so for all I know, I could have just gotten back to hormonal normals last month.

My biggest issue is trying not to get mad at my husband when we don't conceive. Our schedules are so different that I only see him for about one or two hours after I get home from work and before he goes to bed on weekdays. By that point, he's too tired to have sex and I feel completely frustrated. I've been bad and accused him of not really wanting to have a baby. I'm taking my stress out on him and feel like the biggest bitch because of it.

Anyhow, reading the TCOYF book has made me more calm and we can approach this in a more learned matter, so I don't feel bad anymore.

My only problem is I'm not sure how effective checking cervical fluid is. I've never really noticed it before, but that's probably because I've never had to take notice before. I just hope that now that I know what I'm looking for, it will be obvious.

Anyhow, that's all for me. I'm rooting for everyone in this thread and all the people lurking about who aren't sure if they should post. Good luck everyone!

I bought a bulk pack of OPK from the internet (there's heaps of cheap pregnancy test sites) and did one a couple of times a day starting the day or two before I was "meant" to ovulate (according to all the calendars and mid-cycle stuff they say - around day 12-15).

Once I got a positive, have sex that day and the next.

I'm pregnant :)

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.
The too-early-to-pregnancy-test is the worst! A week ago I used those fun little pee sticks which told me I was ovulating, and we had sex every day starting a few days before to a few after. Today I was having tiny little cramps on the left side of my uterus and an itty bitty bit of pink discharge. Really if I wasn't hyper focused about getting pregnant I would have missed it. Some sites say that could be the egg implanting, and others say it could just be spotting. So I may or may not be getting pregnant, which is the same boat I've been in. I'm going nuts!

The discharge didn't look like the kind I have when I do spot, so I dunno.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Good luck Pluto, I hope this is your month!

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.
Thank you! I know intellectually that if I don't make it this month it's not the end of the world, but I want to get pregnant and have a baby NOW goddammit!

Maybe this parenting thing will teach me patience.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Good Luck, Pluto!

Looks like I'm out again. Ugh.

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.
I'm sorry :(, how long have you been trying?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Hi everybody... I don't typically frequent this forum (Ask/Tell) but noticed this thread and thought I'd give a recommendation for the Clearblue Easy Fertility Monitor.

My wife and I tried for a couple of months without any luck and then she started using the monitor and it still took a couple of months but she did get pregnant and our first baby is due in 4 weeks.

I think that the monitor also helped a friend of ours who had an irregular period.

Anyways, don't give up and good luck to everybody :)

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Pluto posted:

I'm sorry :(, how long have you been trying?

We're not what you would say "actively trying" but we've been doing the deed at the right times, been tracking with OPK and CM. We've only been doing this for a couple months, so we still have a ton of time. Its just kind of a bummer. I always pictured myself giving the news at Christmas. Don't know that it will happen though.

When are you supposed to find out, Pluto?

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Vinlaen, it's good to hear someone recommend that. If I'm not pregnant this month, I'm waffling between going back to the doctor and asking them "What else can we do?" (and hearing "I don't know, you're young, why are you worrying?" again) or just picking up a fertility monitor and using that.

Some women test positive at 8dpo, right? I am so impatient to test but I think Thursday would be the absolute earliest I could. Waiting sucks :argh:

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
When we were actively trying that test dead-zone was torture. I would take a test almost every day starting from 5 days before my missed period. I don't really have any advice to make that wait better- but some sympathy. I HATED feeling like I was doing something wrong if I wanted a drink or needed to take a Vyvanse without knowing if I was pregnant or not. I do have ADHD and while I don't take Vyvanse daily- I do average once a week. It's pretty torturous to feel like you need something but you don't want to do it for fear of mutant-baby or seriously harmed baby. And then your period starts and you're pissed and upset and just plain furious at the world, your uterus, and you're partner's stupid sperms.

I'm having a hard time adjusting. Prior to starting birth control I was all excited about the educational opportunity and alright with waiting some more, even a little relieved, but now I'm all sad again. I want a baby so bad now I could steal it. Did anyone else have intense baby cravings on birth control? It's quite the paradox.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Banana Cat posted:

Some women test positive at 8dpo, right? I am so impatient to test but I think Thursday would be the absolute earliest I could. Waiting sucks :argh:

With my daughter I got pregnant on Saturday, the 14th of November (the only day in about a two-week span that her dad and I had sex because he was traveling) and tested positive Wednesday of the week after (the day before Thanksgiving). I don't know if I would have tested positive earlier because that was the first test I took, but that was ten days after conception-sex so possibly as early as eight days after ovulation depending on how everything hung around.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

The oval office Pickle posted:

Did anyone else have intense baby cravings on birth control? It's quite the paradox.

I think I'm more baby crazy on birth control than off of it. I'm still baby crazy, but not as much of a crazy baby crazy. Does that make sense?

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
It does make sense, because I feel the same way. When I went off birth control I was still baby crazy, but I wasn't obsessed and I didn't feel that sense of longing that I did on it. We decided to stop trying until this is all over with and as soon as I went back on it (2 days in fact) the intensity was back to how it was before with that sense of longing. Craziness.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Bahunter22 posted:

I think I'm more baby crazy on birth control than off of it. I'm still baby crazy, but not as much of a crazy baby crazy. Does that make sense?

I wonder if there's really something to this. I mean, I was taught (although this could be totally wrong) that part of how birth control works is that it fools your body into thinking you're already pregnant, so you don't ovulate. I wonder if it also affects more than just that, you know?

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Could be, it wouldn't surprise me. It actually explains a lot, looking back at the last 8 years. I had heard that also, Fire. The longing! Yes! I still long for a baby, but I don't seem to be longing for one like I used to while on the pill.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

I recently had my baby-fever reignited to burn-the-house down proportions. Halloween weekend I took care of my husband's cousin's 6-week old for a little while on one of the nights we were visiting. Having a baby had become such a theoretical thing for me, and then that happened (I had never taken care of a baby for any length of time before, and I absolutely loved it). The next morning the baby-fever hit me full blast. I don't know if being on birth control pills made it worse or not, but my good god. It's horrible. It's that unbearable longing. Anyway, wanted to chime in with that anecdote.

In other news, WE GET TO TRY IUI THIS CYCLE! It isn't right how excited I am. I'm too excited. And I don't want to be. I don't trust hope and I have hope that this will be the month and it terrifies me. I hate feeling hopeful because I feel like I'm jinxing things. Also, I figure I'll just be disappointed in the end anyways. But here I am, being all hopeful and excited and I can't help it. So, I'm banning pessimism from my mind at the moment and going with HOLY CRAP I'M EXCITED.

We had made the decision to try IUI the next time we could, and I had primarily good feelings about it, with some worries mixed in. Taking everything into account, it is the logical decision for my husband and me at this point. However, I worry that I will look down on myself for not conceiving through sex. So, although I'm extremely, unbearably excited, I'm cautious because I don't want to think less of myself and there's no knowing if I will or not. What really helps is that this truly is the right decision for us at this point, but I worry I'll always wonder "what if we tried another cycle of Clomid and timed intercourse instead" etc. etc. It's the right decision, I have no doubts about that, but I worry I'll think less of myself. I have a feeling that when I do eventually get pregnant, whether it's this cycle or not, I won't actually think less of myself. I'll probably just been ecstatic about finally being pregnant.

Good luck Banana Cat! And I'm sorry this month was a no-go for you Bahunter.

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.

Bahunter22 posted:

When are you supposed to find out, Pluto?

my period will (would?) be do in 8 days. Good luck for you for next month! You may still be able to tell people for christmas :)

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Pluto posted:

my period will (would?) be do in 8 days. Good luck for you for next month! You may still be able to tell people for christmas :)

That waiting period is the worst. I can't stand it. I'm seriously crossing my fingers that you get a positive this month!

Thanks, I would really love for it to work out that way, but I don't know if it will happen. Its hard to think of good things happening when I'm bummed, you know? I'm trying not to think about it at all. That seems to make me feel better instead of stressing about it, stressing about it not happening, and then stressing about everything else. Whew, I just felt a little bit of craziness roll through me. :doh:

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

IUI stuff

I like your attitude of banning pessimism :). I can see where you're coming from when you say you're afraid of maybe feeling down if you don't conceive "through sex;" I think that is one of my last hangups I need to get over to actually get my butt to the OB/GYN if this cycle doesn't result in a pregnancy for me. I don't want to get pregnant through drugs and procedures and doctors, I want to just get pregnant the same way humans have been forever--by loving a lot.

But I think it also helps to think of it all as this huge opportunity our ancestors didn't have--infertile men and women generally used to be poo poo out of luck if they were infertile. Modern day fertility drugs and procedures weren't created to make us feel inferior, they were developed to help us and give us a chance at having kids that we may never have had a hundred years ago. If you find yourself feeling down, it may help to remind yourself of that. I think that the more I say it the more I believe it too :).

Out of curiosity, once you go through IUI would you mind sharing your experience? I'd like to hear about it if that's something you'd be comfortable talking about.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
I wish patients that weren't already pregnant could get an appointment after 3p, but nooooo only those already knocked up get the good spots. So frustrating on top of everything else.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Banana Cat posted:

But I think it also helps to think of it all as this huge opportunity our ancestors didn't have--infertile men and women generally used to be poo poo out of luck if they were infertile. Modern day fertility drugs and procedures weren't created to make us feel inferior, they were developed to help us and give us a chance at having kids that we may never have had a hundred years ago. If you find yourself feeling down, it may help to remind yourself of that.

This is actually what bothers me the most. I figure that if I can't get pregnant without drugs/procedures then maybe I'm not supposed to (biologically speaking) and that all the drugs and procedures are just causing people that shouldn't have children to have children :ohdear: Though I should mention that this isn't what I ACTUALLY think, it's just worry nagging at me. Though I think most people who do have the drugs/procedures done to get pregnant could still get pregnant naturally, it just might take five years. And who wants the kind of emotional baggage that would come from that? But of course I could be wrong and making stuff up :( Hopefully this paragraph comes across clearly.

Banana Cat posted:

Out of curiosity, once you go through IUI would you mind sharing your experience? I'd like to hear about it if that's something you'd be comfortable talking about.

I have no problem sharing my experience with it :) From what I understand it's really short and simple.

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.
Ok so I'm 5 days till my peroid and couldn't take it anymore, started tearing through my dollar store tests. They were so light I couldn't tell if it was a positive or an evaporation line. So of course I have to know RIGHT NOW and got a 2 pack of those first response tests. One was the line test and one was digital. I'm knocked up!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
YAY! Congratulations Pluto!!

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Pluto posted:

Ok so I'm 5 days till my peroid and couldn't take it anymore, started tearing through my dollar store tests. They were so light I couldn't tell if it was a positive or an evaporation line. So of course I have to know RIGHT NOW and got a 2 pack of those first response tests. One was the line test and one was digital. I'm knocked up!

YAY! Congrats!

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Pluto posted:

Congrats! I'm so happy for you!!!

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.
Thanks! Of course I can't keep a secret and now everyone knows :)

Now when I'm a raging bitch at work I can blame it on my hormones.

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
Congrats Pluto!

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Hooray Pluto! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Congrats Pluto! :D

• Locked thread