Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Defleshed posted:

Sworn in as a 1st Lieutenant in the Army Reserve JAG today, Veteran's Day! :3:

You'll always be sarge to me <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Defleshed posted:

Congratulations! I hope you can wait 'till the spring to go to Charlottesville.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Tetrix posted:

I don't really know the answer to your question, but with a quick google search:

http://www.eatoncounty.org/Departments/ProsecutingAttorney/ProsList.htm

and i don't remember if it was you that was interested in Nor Cal, but Hastings has a few listed: http://www.uchastings.edu/careers/students/resource-center/joblinks.html

Also a good website I've found for public interest is Yale Career Services: http://www.law.yale.edu/studentlife/cdostudentpublicinterest.htm. They have some decent guides on there. Although it is a little depressing that most of them just assume everyone will have a clerkship and law firm job after graduation if they so choose.

This is perfect. Thank you so much.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So...there might possibly potentially could kind of be a permanent job at the end of this temp job? It's far from a sure thing - I'd have to apply for it and interview with people I haven't met yet, and I don't technically have the relevant experience (it's a copywriting position and all I know is legal writing but it's better than nothing) and I'd probably be competing with laid-off people from the field and a bunch of fresh english majors without the JD albatross hanging around their necks (or the 17 months of unemployment albatross for that matter) but still - I'm applying from inside the company which gives me a small amount of priority, plus I'll have a referral or two from some of the people I've been working for so...yeah I dunno

I kind of don't even want to mention it lest I get my hopes up (not that I remember what that feels like) but this is the closest shot I've had at a job so far and it would be positively stellar if I got it because it's a writing job and writing was the only part of the whole lawyer thing that appealed to me anyway.

I really should not have gone to law school, I can't believe nobody talked me out of it. I also can't believe that at no point in the process of qualification to become a lawyer does "desire to be a lawyer" ever factor in. blow up all the law schools, that's what i say

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.
Question: is it worth taking over a $100,000/year pay cut for a 9-6, Monday through Friday job?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Mookie posted:

Question: is it worth taking over a $100,000/year pay cut for a 9-6, Monday through Friday job?

If it's a pay cut from 200k to 100k then yeah, it might be (assuming you've got your debts paid off).

If it's from 150k to 50k. Ehh...

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
No. You're potentially losing out on far more $ in the future.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mookie posted:

Depends on what the 100k is a cut from and how many hours that frees up, but the answer is almost certainly that you'll be happier based on like every study ever about what actually makes people happy.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

If it's a pay cut from 200k to 100k then yeah, it might be (assuming you've got your debts paid off).

If it's from 150k to 50k. Ehh...

This sounds like a reasonable point to me. I think we need to know more about the new job Mookie. Money isn't everything etc etc but you might be proposing a pretty substantial cut.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
On an unrelated note: If anyone here has experience writing a 3 (ish) page prospectus for a piece of writing (comment, article etc) I'd love to ask you some questions and get some info on what makes for a good little thing to turn in. I have to give a prof I'm working with something saying wtf it is I'll be doing and questions I want to tackle by Monday.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

evilweasel posted:

Depends on what the 100k is a cut from and how many hours that frees up, but the answer is almost certainly that you'll be happier based on like every study ever about what actually makes people happy.

Yes, although - Mookie.

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008

Defleshed posted:

Good work dude!

I have packets in for Army and AF, should be hearing from both in December or January. Hope everything goes well for you.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Petey posted:

Yes, although - Mookie.

Yeah basically.

It'd be a drop from approximately $275,000 a year (after bonuses, etc.) doing general litigation, at about 2750 hours a year give or take (depends on travel/trials).

The possible other job is a smaller appellate-only shop that would pay all-in about $140,000.

Plus, appellate law blows to deal with.

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008

J Miracle posted:

Hey you gotta try something, a guy deserves a vigorous defense even if he's guilty as poo poo. You'd want your lawyer to try poo poo, not just give up because "the judge is never gonna let us exclude this."

Oh yeah I'm not saying it's any failure of the defense attorney to be rigorous. I certainly would challenge anything the police had to say if I had an argument that my rights were violated.

It's just that most of the time the police didn't actually subvert the Constitution when they found Defendant Whoever's bag of weed or pulled him over with his .25 BAC.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Mookie posted:

Yeah basically.

It'd be a drop from approximately $275,000 a year (after bonuses, etc.) doing general litigation, at about 2750 hours a year give or take (depends on travel/trials).

The possible other job is a smaller appellate-only shop that would pay all-in about $140,000.

I dunno, man, it depends on what makes you happy. I would jump at a chance to work 50ish hours a week for almost 150 a year, because you can have a lot of fun doing other things (like returning videotapes) while still making bank. If I were in your shoes it'd be no question. But every person has a different work life balance, and some people eschew that balance because they're all about work.

The only thing I'll say is - if you ever want a life outside the law, then maybe this is a good time to take it, to unlearn what it's like to only live and breathe law. I know some older lawyers who were in biglaw for so long that they never knew how to not work crazy hours and they could never function outside of biglaw. You've made some money, and you'll continue to make money - but now's a chance to relearn how to be a normal human being, if that's something you someday want in your future.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Mookie posted:

Yeah basically.

Take the appellate job. In 2011 I'll be making about $110,000 straight salary, and about $140,000 after pension and benefits, and there's no way I'd agree to work more hours than I do (40) just to make another $100,000. At $140,000 you are well past the range where you have enough money to live comfortably and do nearly whatever you want. No, it's not enough money to buy underage immigrant slaves and bribe the authorities to look the other way, but it's enough to do almost anything else. The rest is just bragging.

Also, this study says that happiness derived from income drops off precipitously after $75,000.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mookie posted:

"I want to [1]make NY level pay, [2]bill 1900 hours a year, work only with [3]nice people on [4]interesting tasks, and [5]have tons of prestige?"
In other words, law student dreamin'.

So how does each one score on the Mookie law student dreamin' (M-LSD) scale?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Mookie posted:

Wrong! You sit in judgment of the puny litigators that hosed up the case. If you lose, it is because of something dumb that they did. If you win, it is exclusively due you your superior appellate skills. You have weeks to work on a brief, and as much prep time to bill for as a trial getting ready for oral argument, but the oral argument is over in a half hour. Then you take some time off to recover from the "pressure" and creep back into the office to begin reading transcripts again in a few days. Nobody bothers you, nobody calls you, and you are in your own little cozy appellate world. Nothing better.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Solomon Grundy posted:

Wrong! You sit in judgment of the puny litigators that hosed up the case. If you lose, it is because of something dumb that they did. If you win, it is exclusively due you your superior appellate skills. You have weeks to work on a brief, and as much prep time to bill for as a trial getting ready for oral argument, but the oral argument is over in a half hour. Then you take some time off to recover from the "pressure" and creep back into the office to begin reading transcripts again in a few days. Nobody bothers you, nobody calls you, and you are in your own little cozy appellate world. Nothing better.

Now THIS sounds like the Mookie I know and love fear!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

TheAttackSlug posted:

Good work dude!

I have packets in for Army and AF, should be hearing from both in December or January. Hope everything goes well for you.

I have an Active Duty packet in for this board with Army. Here's hoping!

Mookie posted:

Yeah basically.

Do it man! Like Petey said everyone is different, but my current 9-5 pays half what your potential 9-5 would and I am happier than a pig in poo poo. I may not be driving a Murcielago or wearing suits custom tailored by Bangladeshi slave children, but combined with my wife's income we make a good living and have plenty of free time and spare money. I'd be happy as hell to make more, but I honestly wouldn't take a high stress high billable firm job if I were offered one even if the salary was what you make now.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 12, 2010

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mookie posted:

No. You have to make partner so we have someone to tell us what it's like.

evilweasel posted:

Or this. After a certain amount of money everyone is happier with more time. Unless you really love the sweatshop you're at (2700 hours :sympathy:) I think this is a good deal.

That said I see people getting caught up in what they're doing all the time. One of the things that I think NY firms have done incredibly well is defining what the game is about. For whatever reason they've been tremendously successful in making it about money. For associates, it's salary. For partners it's profits per partner. The D.C. firms have done done alright by making it about being a little kinder and gentler and doing interesting appellate and regulatory work. Anyway, I'm just saying I hope you don't get sucked in too.

If you're happy with the work you're doing, your salary and your advancement potential then stay. If you'd rather do different work, work fewer hours or don't think you'll be made partner then leave. Don't stay just because of the perception that working at a particular firm or doing a particular kind of law is more prestigious.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

evilweasel posted:

Happier now, of course. Maybe less happy for the additional years he'll have to work instead of retiring early. But 2750 hours is pretty absurd.

Mookie posted:

Yeah basically.

Will is really be 9-6? What are billables? 1800?

Solomon Grundy posted:

Also, no discovery - you're slave to the trial record.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Mookie posted:

Yeah basically.

I would not take that kind of pay cut early in my career. I would rather work hard and retire early. That's my plan at least. If you're in NY or other high COL city then 140k isn't really that much after taxes and especially if you have high student loan debt.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Solomon Grundy posted:

huuuuuuuuuuuuum, mookie, if you don't take the job, can I have it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

poofactory posted:

I would not take that kind of pay cut early in my career. I would rather work hard and retire early. That's my plan at least. If you're in NY or other high COL city then 140k isn't really that much after taxes and especially if you have high student loan debt.

I'd much rather have time and money when I'm young and time and money when I'm old than lots of money but no time when I'm young and lots of time and money when I'm old.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

poofactory posted:

But as someone mentioned above, by the time you got to old age you're potentially a broken human being.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

evilweasel posted:

I'd much rather have time and money when I'm young and time and money when I'm old than lots of money but no time when I'm young and lots of time and money when I'm old.

It depends on what you define as old. If he's making 275k then he could save nearly half of that each year with good planning. After 10 years in safe investments, he could walk away with 2-3M. If he's in his 20s now, he can quit at 40.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Mookie posted:

Yeah basically.

Is one hour of free time worth $140 to you? If so, take the lower job.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Mookie posted:

Yeah basically.

The answer is yes, but not this job.

Don't take a $100,000 pay cut for a job where you affirmatively dislike the subject matter. It doesn't make sense, because I think there are other $150k per year jobs out there for someone like you where you probably would not hate the subject matter.

You don't have to love every minute of it, but I could see being resentful if I stepped away from $100k for a 9-6 where I hated most of the eight hours each day.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

poofactory posted:

It depends on what you define as old. If he's making 275k then he could save nearly half of that each year with good planning. After 10 years in safe investments, he could walk away with 2-3M. If he's in his 20s now, he can quit at 40.

The thing is, there's a certain lifestyle demanded at different salary levels that might make this increasingly difficult. See, for example, the prof who was :qq: about only making a million and how he can't afford to pay for the OBAMATAX after his vacations and cars and maids and private schools are paid off.

Now I don't know Mookie's home situation, but it's a lot easier to say "no" to your kids and wife (with respect to certain perks of upper crust life) when you're making $140k than when you're making 275.

Besides, 2-3m at 40, assuming you've got a good 30 years left to live and with no additional income, isn't that great. Especially if your family is used to the bourgeoisie life. Chances are he'd have to take a minor job or play the market or something, which really defeats the point of retirement.

edit: I agree with Slyfrog though; if you hate the job don't loving do it

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 12, 2010

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I don't deserve to be giving Mookie advice but I will say that the job he's considering is roughly analogous to the path I tried to shape throughout law school. Now I've got a job waiting for me (provided nothing falls through which it well might) that fits that need perfectly. It doesn't pay market but it pays plenty and it's an 1800 billable requirement firm that does the work I think I like to do in a place where it costs nothing to live. I always knew I wanted something like that even though it runs counter to what most people seem to want in school.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

NJ Deac posted:

Headhunter stuff.

I got another call from a separate headhunter today about the same position that the first headhunter was offering. I told her I wasn't interested in order to not create any potential conflicts with the first guy. Still, I'm betting this means the firm just listed the position recently, and all of the recruiters/headhunters are scrambling over one another to find anyone with relevant qualifications. In other words, my chances are slim/nil and it's probably nothing worth getting excited over. Hard to complain I guess, seeing as I'm still employed, happy, and able to make my student loan payments.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Mookie --

Not a lawyer here, but want to chime in. Since I'm working in Baghdad this year, I'm making roughly double what I usually do. I'm also working close to double the hours. There is no way out of it for me except to finish the year (about halfway done now) but I wouldn't do it again; the money is not nearly worth the time (and time away from family). And I make waaaay less than you do now. The work is good, though, so at least I'm not dying inside. . . .

Just my $0.02

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
I think I want to be unemployed again. Being a lawyer sucks.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HooKars posted:

This needs to go in the OP, with the context that HooKars has been struggling to get work for a long time, and she went to U.Va., which is a somewhat decent school.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Business of Ferrets posted:

Not a lawyer here, but want to chime in.

Biglaw: kind of like living in Baghdad.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HooKars posted:

Did you see that opening at the ABA I posted about a while back come be a lawyer in a really chill environment in Chicago (also get IBR)

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Defleshed posted:

Did you see that opening at the ABA I posted about a while back come be a lawyer in a really chill environment in Chicago (also get IBR)

Is anyone here actually on IBR? It's 10 year forgiveness for non-profit/pubic and 25 years for private sector right?

My plan is to go on IBR whether I'm in the public, private, or homeless sectors. In fact, I'm trying to get my financial aid office to take my loans out of deferment while I'm in my last semester of law school so I can make ~8 $0 payments towards the 10 year IBR loan forgiveness - my last semester is part-time, I'll be working at a non-profit, and last year's income on my tax return was -$3,000. I might as well take advantage while my tax returns show I'm one of the poorest people in the US even though I can pay rent with my loans.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

blar posted:

Is anyone here actually on IBR? It's 10 year forgiveness for non-profit/pubic and 25 years for private sector right?

My plan is to go on IBR whether I'm in the public, private, or homeless sectors. In fact, I'm trying to get my financial aid office to take my loans out of deferment while I'm in my last semester of law school so I can make ~8 $0 payments towards the 10 year IBR loan forgiveness - my last semester is part-time, I'll be working at a non-profit, and last year's income on my tax return was -$3,000. I might as well take advantage while my tax returns show I'm one of the poorest people in the US even though I can pay rent with my loans.
I'm on it. It's basically all that keeps me afloat. I owe $180,000 in federal loans and my loan payment is about $900/month. The payment amount will increase annually based on increases in salary, and then it'll all be discharged in 2020.

According to this calculator, I'll ultimately repay about $49,000 of the principal balance before everything is discharged. (And a poo poo ton of interest for the next decade, I guess.) That's $49,000 out of $180,000. So the feds have essentially paid for my JD and LLM, and I'm only paying for my BA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm on IBR too and I don't know what I'd do without it. I owe them over $100,000 and Every now and then the DoE sends me a bill for $0.00 and that's that, they don't even bug me with phone calls

the access group on the other hand is a little more passionate about the $50,000 I owe them. Do not borrow private money. There's no need to do it and it's just dumb, borrow federal

I hope the republicans don't notice IBR when they're making budget cuts