Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

chimz posted:

I would test this before doing the whole library, but:

If you manually add album art to files, it goes inside the MP3 rather than into the album art database, so it should transfer over. There are scripts that will force album art to live inside the id3 tags and scripts to tell you which files have art inside them and which don't.

I would make sure all id3 information is committed to the files by doing a 'Convert id3 Tags' to the latest version so that you're sure iTunes got all its info stored in the files. In the past I've seen information changed inside iTunes not getting to the id3 tags if they're in an old and busted format, though they may have fixed that in recent versions.

I'd do the work to migrate the whole library including the iTunes database, then you will have no issues at all.

Cheers mate. I toyed with idea of converting the ID3 tags, but I started testing it by tranferring albums over 10 at a time, and they were all coming up with the right art. Eventually just done the whole lot, and it seems to have worked fine. We'll see if the artwork pops up for every song as I'm listening on the iPod over the next few months

Didn't do the whole library - just the tracks. Now I got a pristine library (and manually migrated my rating using BPM as a workaround). Have a lot of smart playlists going on, so wanted a clean slate

YMMV, though, if you try this - do as I did (and chimz suggested), and test it in batches. Will report back if there's any missing artwork hiding in individual tracks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Amphigory posted:

Will report back if there's any missing artwork hiding in individual tracks...

You can make a 'tracks without artwork' smart playlist, there's a 'Has Artwork' query that you can set nowadays.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

HOLY loving poo poo I want to kiss you on the mouth. That is awesome

Looks like it all worked - only 60 odd tracks without artwork, and I expected them, as they are ones deliberately missed

Ta :)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Is there still no working app to automatically import lyrics into iTunes? I know its been broken for quite some time due to some legal issues.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm using GetLyrical now, and it's finding stuff more consistently than anything else I've used before. The GUI is a bit ugly, but it gets the job done.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

IUG posted:

I'm using GetLyrical now, and it's finding stuff more consistently than anything else I've used before. The GUI is a bit ugly, but it gets the job done.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. Even with a lovely GUI, its still a step up from nothing!

edit: Argh, I probably should have specified that I'm running Win 7 :( Thanks anyways.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 2, 2010

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Is the app store part of the itunes store not working for anybody else? I can get to everything else just fine.

afrodeziakk
Feb 12, 2008
no pants zone
does anyone know of a good tool to automatically determine a tracks BPM and write it to the iTune's library? I found mixmeiser's BPM analyzer (http://www.mixmeister.com/bpmanalyzer/bpmanalyzer.asp) and it's close, but doesn't work on m4a files

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

afrodeziakk posted:

does anyone know of a good tool to automatically determine a tracks BPM and write it to the iTune's library? I found mixmeiser's BPM analyzer (http://www.mixmeister.com/bpmanalyzer/bpmanalyzer.asp) and it's close, but doesn't work on m4a files

I use Tangerine. Not free, but very good.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Can someone explain to me why iTunes is so bad at finding album artwork? Out of 149 albums imported, it found 3 pieces of artwork. Is there an option to search artwork (like in Windows Media Player) or a way to add artwork manually?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Meat Recital posted:

Can someone explain to me why iTunes is so bad at finding album artwork? Out of 149 albums imported, it found 3 pieces of artwork. Is there an option to search artwork (like in Windows Media Player) or a way to add artwork manually?

It only looks in the iTunes Store, so your album has to be one that is on the Store, and you have to have the tags set the same for it to find the right thing. You can add artwork manually in the Get Info screen, under Artwork. There's also a place to drag artwork into in multiple item get info.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I had to manually add in a few podcasts that for some reason weren't pulled from the iTunes store. Now, the manually listed podcasts are listed as "unknown category." Is there a way to manually edit this information for individual files (rather than editing an xml feed as a podcast creator)?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Just a word of warning for last.fm users: Apple is pushing an update that seems to completely disable scrobbling of iTunes tracks (desktop and ipod).

http://www.last.fm/forum/21713/_/657251

I jumped in blindly, and it looks like I'm SoL until at least Monday.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

Just a word of warning for last.fm users: Apple is pushing an update that seems to completely disable scrobbling of iTunes tracks (desktop and ipod).

http://www.last.fm/forum/21713/_/657251

I jumped in blindly, and it looks like I'm SoL until at least Monday.

Damnit Apple, you should be embracing LastFM, to make your Ping less lovely, instead of blocking it entirely (EDIT: I mean I wish that Apple would buy LastFM and use them as a model for how Ping should be). I might actually hold back on updating iTunes then, as this would be a major break in functionality for me.

IUG fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 13, 2010

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
How does iTunes register skips? I skip songs in my 5 star playlist all the time, but only some songs in this list have skips, and they have much fewer than they should imo.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's some odd window for what counts as a skip. Within the first 5 to 60 seconds only or something odd like that.
EDIT: 2 to 20 seconds.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

IUG posted:

There's some odd window for what counts as a skip. Within the first 5 to 60 seconds only or something odd like that.
EDIT: 2 to 20 seconds.

So if I skip at 5 seconds, it is supposed to register each and every time? On iPods too?

Even with this strict criteria, I feel like I should have more skips. I guess I'll monitor this over the next few days.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
After detaching the currently playing song's artwork, and minimizing the main itunes window to the notification area; is there a method to setting it to stay on top of all open windows?

I also can't seem to find the itunes mixes button any longer. It used to be a separate menu item below the Genius category.

Thanks for any help!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

papa horny michael posted:

After detaching the currently playing song's artwork, and minimizing the main itunes window to the notification area; is there a method to setting it to stay on top of all open windows?

I also can't seem to find the itunes mixes button any longer. It used to be a separate menu item below the Genius category.

Thanks for any help!

In the Advanced section of the Preferences there are two options. One is "Keep MiniPLayer on top of all other windows" (most likely what you want) and "Keep movie window on top of all other windows" (in case the first doesn't work the way you want it).

By mixes, do you mean the equalizer? That's still in the Window menu.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

IUG posted:

By mixes, do you mean the equalizer? That's still in the Window menu.

I meant this

edit: i still don't seem to have itunes genius mixes. the screen shot is from a friend who still has it.

papa horny michael fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 16, 2010

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

IUG posted:

In the Advanced section of the Preferences there are two options. One is "Keep MiniPLayer on top of all other windows" (most likely what you want) and "Keep movie window on top of all other windows" (in case the first doesn't work the way you want it).

Actually, I meant the new album artwork player.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer
Maybe they'll be adding the ability to rip movies we own straight into iTunes....

I can dream can't I?
Actually is there a list somewhere of ideas or changes in the pipeline for future releases?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

papa horny michael posted:

Actually, I meant the new album artwork player.

Right, and I thought that might be the mini player. At least I did, now that I think of it, it's probably what you get when you press the green + button.

Deget posted:

Maybe they'll be adding the ability to rip movies we own straight into iTunes....

I can dream can't I?
Actually is there a list somewhere of ideas or changes in the pipeline for future releases?

Not as long as that stupid bullshit DIGITAL COPY exists with DVDs/Bluray.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Announcement:

quote:

Beatles expected to sign deal with Apple's iTunes

A preview page has revealed that the long-awaited deal to offer The Beatles' back catalogue via the iTunes music store has gone live.

It will mean that for the first time consumers will be able to purchase some of the Fab Four's most popular songs via iTunes.

Apple and record label EMI have been in talks for years about getting the catalogue online.

Apple is due to officially announce the deal this afternoon.

Trademark dispute

The Wall Street Journal reported that talks between Apple, members of The Beatles and EMI took place as recently as last week and "represents a watershed in a fraught, decades-long relationship between two of the biggest icons in their respective fields".

For years The Beatles' music label Apple Corps was involved in a bitter trademark dispute with Apple the computer company. The dispute was finally settled in 2007.

Earlier in the year Sir Paul McCartney hinted that part of the delay in getting a deal with Apple was down to EMI.

At the time he told the BBC that "there have been all sorts of reasons why they don't want to do it. To tell you the truth, I don't actually understand how it's got so crazy".

"I know iTunes would like to do it, so one day it's going to happen," added Sir Paul at the time.

Beatles USB

Apple's co-founder Steve Jobs is known to be a big fan of the Fab Four's music.

The Beatles catalogue has been a noticeable absence from the iTunes store despite the fact that solo works of members of the band are on sale there.

There have been forays into the digital world for the band.

Last year EMI released limited edition apple-shaped USB drives containing The Beatles' 14 studio albums as digital files.

And in September 2009, The Beatles: Rock Band video game was released.

Even though the group formed around 50 years ago, they remain one of the top-selling bands in the world.

Neilsen SoundScan reported that they have sold more than 30 million albums in the past decade.

EMI has said that with worldwide sales of one billion albums, the Beatles are the top-selling band in music history.

Bloomberg News reports that any deal with Apple comes amid uncertainty at EMI. The company's owner, private equity firm Terra Firma Capital Partners, owes millions in debt payments to Citigroup, which helped bankroll the purchase of EMI in 2007.

The iTunes music store opened in 2003 and is now the largest music retailer in the world.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11763650

I was expecting something a bit more substantial.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, this isn't something I'll be telling my grandkids where I was when this happened.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Competition posted:

I was expecting something a bit more substantial.

I will forever remember the day when Apple made it possible for me to buy some 40+ year old albums for the sixth time.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

InfiniteZero posted:

I will forever remember the day when Apple made it possible for me to buy some 40+ year old albums for the sixth time.
All it reminds me of is that EMI squandered a lot of money and revenue potential and are probably only doing this because they need the money.

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"
Between this and "This changes everything" Apple are becoming seriously out of touch with reality.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Can't wait for the slightly better-scanned album art! :dance:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
11/16/2010... Just another day... that I'll never forget (Steve Jobs actually thinks this)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Were the Beatles the last major holdout against digital music, or are there still some major bands that refuse?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

AC/DC comes to mind. Mostly because they only want to provide their music in entire albums, not individual songs.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Does anybody know why iTunes is not syncing all my new media to my iPod Touch when I go to sync it?

For example, here is what happened today.
-Last night I added a bunch of new videos to my iTunes library. I then plugged in my iPod and let it auto sync and went to bed.
-This morning I synced it again by clicking "sync" because I know it's been having trouble. Sure enough, one video didn't sync and it starts transferring over.
-The sync finishes, and just to be sure I click Sync one more time. Sure enough, now the rest of the podcasts that downloaded the previous night sync. I last clicked Sync a few seconds prior, why wouldn't these be transferred with it!

Seriously, what the hell? Why won't it sync all my new media the first time! There have been several times I've put a TV show on there, get to the train station ready to go to work, only to discover the show didn't sync. Incredibly disappointing.

I'm on iTunes 10.0.0.68, and iOS 4.1 if that helps.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

polo-rican posted:

11/16/2010... Just another day... that I'll never forget (Steve Jobs actually thinks this)
It was quickly forgotten within hours as the media went into a loving feeding frenzy over royals getting engaged.

maltesh posted:

Were the Beatles the last major holdout against digital music, or are there still some major bands that refuse?
The Beatles had their catalog released on a themed USB flash drive a year or two ago, in like FLAC and MP3 or something. Individually, their solo stuff was all available through iTunes, for quite a while in some cases.

Even after they released it on the flash drive, they were still trying to work out their own digital music store through early last year. They kept pushing the idea that they wouldn't get enough money from iTunes to make it worth their while. It was ironic since if they had put together their own solution, they probably would have made less per song than just uploading it to iTunes and letting Apple deal with it.

It was also ironic because their CDs are always on sale. Amazon is running a deal right not on some of their CDs for $7.99. I'd be willing to bet they get more from Apple/iTunes than they would selling CDs through Wal-Mart or Amazon.

IUG posted:

AC/DC comes to mind. Mostly because they only want to provide their music in entire albums, not individual songs.
If this was the only hold-up then expect AC/DC soon, because Pink Floyd just won their lawsuit to force Apple and the others to drop sales of singles and only allow sales of the entire album.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I hear prince is quite the luddite, going so far as to take down is website. I doubt somebody like that is selling on iTunes.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

I hear prince is quite the luddite, going so far as to take down is website. I doubt somebody like that is selling on iTunes.

He's filling the luddite role quite nicely. He's literally called the Internet a "fad" and that was like 6 months ago.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Organization issue:

Une Nuit A Paris should be grouped with the rest of the tracks for 'The Original Soundtrack'. I've checked the ID3 tags and everything is the same. Furthermore, this happens with a few albums.

I have no idea what might be going on here. Any ideas?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Check that all of them are using the "Part of a Compilation" box, if the album has more than one artist. If it still happens, I usually select them all, change the album name to include a space at the end of the title (and change it back afterwords), and sometimes have to do this as well for the Artist. However you shouldn't have to touch the artist, since it might be a soundtrack with more than one.

After that, make sure they have the same disk number, year (shouldn't be effecting it on a compilation or otherwise), genre (I don't think this causes this), and maybe clear out any other field you don't care about.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

Organization issue:

Une Nuit A Paris should be grouped with the rest of the tracks for 'The Original Soundtrack'. I've checked the ID3 tags and everything is the same. Furthermore, this happens with a few albums.

I have no idea what might be going on here. Any ideas?
This happens to me constantly. Select the entire album, and get info. Check every field except track number and artist. Cut the album field, then hit ok. Find the tracks again, and paste the album back where it belongs. For some reason this always works for me, even if all the information that gets deleted is already identical. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaelitz
Jan 30, 2009
I was hoping someone would be able to help me with a very insignificant, but still frustrating problem that I'm having. It involves a couple of programs, but playback using iTunes is central.

Having Windows Live Messenger show what song I'm playing, while using iTunes--I've never encountered such a temperamental tie-in between programs. I can't reliably have MSN actually show what song I'm playing, if it deigns to show that I'm playing music at all, and yes the option is enabled in Messenger.

Messenger won't simply detect what player is performing playback, and fetch the info from it, like one would expect. Windows Media Player, since it auto-boots with Windows, seems to usurp control of that information.

I've had limited success with Googled solutions of starting playback in iTunes, and then ending the WMPlayer.exe*32 process tree. This seems to release control over whatever information WMP is holding on to... temporarily. I'll get the Messenger prompt that it's now showing my current music playback, and the Messenger window will reflect this with the little music note icons in the window, but Messenger doesn't seem to keep up with playback changes in iTunes at all. It'll show that I'm still playing the same song well after the fact.

Like I said, I know this is a very petty and insignificant gripe, and that it's not solely an iTunes issue, but I can't seem to get it to work properly for any length of time. I was hoping that there would be some Windows iTunes users here that have encountered or heard of the problem and could give some insight.