Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Looks like we can choose gender in Rune Factory Oceans: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/11/08/marvelous-on-brides-and-grooms-in-rune-factory-oceans/

edit:

According to the variety of articles here: http://www.andriasang.com/e/database/games/rune_factory_oceans/content/ ,

quote:

In Oceans, you take control of a main character who is, in a sense, both male and female. Your male side is named Azel. Your female side is named Sonia. While Azel and Sonia were unique individuals in their own worlds, when transported to the world of Rune Factory Oceans following some unexplained incident, they came to occupy the same body, but with their individual consciousnesses in tact.

The result is that you'll be playing the game from the perspective of both genders. Of course, the game has the expected Rune Factory elements of love and marriage. It seems the Sonia side of your character won't like it when Azel gets close to a girl, and vice versa.

:shepface:

eggrolled fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That's kind of expected, you've been able to play as a male or female character plenty of times in other Harvest Moon games- even as your kid in Rune Factory 2...

Wait, excuse me? You play as a male and female character?

I guess that's actually pretty cool, but totally out of left field.

I hate hearing about these games months before their Japanese release, as you know there'll be a couple years after that before they're translated.

Looking forward to Rune Factory 3, though. I remember having a good impression of it years ago before it was released in Japan.

I was looking at the marriage candidates hoping for someone as interesting as Rosalind from 2, and found that there's a character, Sophia Jalepeņo Viviage, whose favorite gifts are all various forms trash. Hopefully she's got as crazy a family as Rosalind did.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

According to one of those articles you can marry yourself because you're technically two different people. :psyduck: I am gonna guess you get to like, separate at some point in the storyline... otherwise I don't know what honestly.

In terms of an englush release, if Xseed is doing localization for RFO like it did for Frontier, it might not be so bad. I think there was a 6 month gap between the Japan and US releases of Frontier.

However if its Natsume that got on that poo poo it won't be for another two years

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Hopefully they'll do away with those load times and that Runey bullshit. Those made Frontier unbearable at times.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

yellowcar posted:

Hopefully they'll do away with those load times and that Runey bullshit. Those made Frontier unbearable at times.
I'm pretty sure they learned their lesson when it came to Runeys. RF3 just came out and it has Runeys but they work in an entirely different way and don't need to be maintained or managed. They're basically one-time powerups. Hopefully Oceans will treat them similarly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Forgive the double post but I haven't gotten my hands on Rune Factory 3 yet. That's out now, right? I thought that was supposed to go here. Is there a separate thread about it that I just didn't see?
Either that or it's a very slow launch.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vib Rib posted:

Either that or it's a very slow launch.

I don't think it's a high-profile-enough title to get its own thread, sorry.

Also thanks California, I walked four miles in freezing pre-winter weather to find that no, this Gamestop didn't actually order any copies of it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
This is the thread for it. I'm playing it now. Loving the dual daggers!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Revol posted:

This is the thread for it. I'm playing it now. Loving the dual daggers!
I'm really looking forward to picking it up but probably won't get it until next week. How's the pacing? That's one of the biggest concerns of any HM-style game. And of course, how's the farming?

I heard there's now a game mechanic about soil quality. You have to cycle crops, leave areas fallow, etc. in order to get decent quality crops at a decent speed. Soil, as I understand it, has two variables: quality and restedness. What's the difference, and what does each affect?
Also, how's the new "one seed, one square" mechanic? I imagine that makes a self-sustaining crop harder. In Frontier, you could grow one crop of level 10 [vegetable], sell 8, and turn the last one into enough seeds to cover the whole field. Now it's one plant, one seed. Seems like a big change in balance. How does it fare?

Forgive the barrage of questions I'm just super excited about this game.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

The White Dragon posted:

I don't think it's a high-profile-enough title to get its own thread, sorry.

Also thanks California, I walked four miles in freezing pre-winter weather to find that no, this Gamestop didn't actually order any copies of it.

You know you can check the gamestop website to see if any nearby stores have it in stock?

Vib Rib posted:

I'm really looking forward to picking it up but probably won't get it until next week. How's the pacing? That's one of the biggest concerns of any HM-style game. And of course, how's the farming?

I heard there's now a game mechanic about soil quality. You have to cycle crops, leave areas fallow, etc. in order to get decent quality crops at a decent speed. Soil, as I understand it, has two variables: quality and restedness. What's the difference, and what does each affect?
Also, how's the new "one seed, one square" mechanic? I imagine that makes a self-sustaining crop harder. In Frontier, you could grow one crop of level 10 [vegetable], sell 8, and turn the last one into enough seeds to cover the whole field. Now it's one plant, one seed. Seems like a big change in balance. How does it fare?

Forgive the barrage of questions I'm just super excited about this game.

So I haven't played a Harvest Moon game since the one on the old brick gameboy, but these are my opinions so far.

I feel like there's a fair bit of downtime because every time you use a tool you drain some RP. You can stand still to regain RP and eat herbs and things to replenish it. Herbs restore a pitiful amount of RP, though, and are probably meant to be combined into more potent potions. The herbs I've picked so far reestore 3 RP, and I have 120 at level 3. Thankfully your RP increases quickly because there's levels for everything including walking and sleeping, all of which boost your RP and HP.

The soil quality determines the speed at which crops grow and probably their quality too. You don't have to just leave fields fallow. They have a green manure system where you can plow certain crops back into the field to restore nutrients.

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

And my eyes bulging means that I'm going to be chattering for a while!

Tiramisu posted:

I feel like there's a fair bit of downtime because every time you use a tool you drain some RP.

I'd like to point out, though, that the more you use them, the more the appropriate skill raises, and the less RP it uses. Eventually you can just plow your whole field without running out.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Vib Rib posted:

Wouldn't know. I've only played three days.

Vib Rib posted:

It's not new to Harvest Moon. At least the last game, maybe the last two, have had 'one seed, one square'. In Bazaar, self-sustaining simply wasn't possible. That's because one plant yielded one, maybe two seeds.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Revol posted:

It's not new to Harvest Moon. At least the last game, maybe the last two, have had 'one seed, one square'. In Bazaar, self-sustaining simply wasn't possible. That's because one plant yielded one, maybe two seeds.

In Bazaar I always get 2 seeds for whatever I'm milling. Am I magic?! :aaa:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
rrrrrrRRRGGGGG gently caress

gently caress every loving time in these games where you're made to talk to every single person in the village, because invariably, you SWEAR you've talked to everyone but NNNOOOOO

Fishylungs posted:

In Bazaar I always get 2 seeds for whatever I'm milling. Am I magic?! :aaa:

When I said 'one, maybe two' I meant that as 'I forget which one is the right amount'

edit: Here is a RF3 guide, based off the Japanese version. Not much here, though.

Revol fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 12, 2010

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Tiramisu posted:

Thankfully your RP increases quickly because there's levels for everything including walking and sleeping, all of which boost your RP and HP.

There's a sleeping skill?

I am gonna be the best goddamn sleeper ever.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So what are the big improvements to the game? I figure I only have a short time to actually find this game.

It seems to be in short supply... cripes there seems to be little or no information anywhere on this game. Nobodies even reviewed it!

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 12, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah RF3 came out a couple days ago and was really hoping to see some opinions here.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah RF3 came out a couple days ago and was really hoping to see some opinions here.
It's all secondhand so take it as you will, but I've been talking around a lot today and everything I've heard says that it's far and away the best one yet, even better than Frontier, and certainly leagues better than 1 and 2.
Someone said RF was the perfect example of a series that was actually working to better itself and takes strides with every new iteration, rather than just retread old ground.
So again, this is only what I've heard, but it's all been very positive.

Only complaints really were that once again the best women in the game can't be married.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm not really far into it, but I've been liking it a lot so far.

I can say that it has a very bizarre cast, though. Like the requisite Rune Factory rich family. The father and daughter of that family speak in opposites. "Bad day to you!" and so on.

naptalan posted:

There's a sleeping skill?

I am gonna be the best goddamn sleeper ever.

There's a loving skill for EATING. Tiramisu is right, there's skills for everything

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Boneless Jogger posted:

I can say that it has a very bizarre cast, though. Like the requisite Rune Factory rich family. The father and daughter of that family speak in opposites. "Bad day to you!" and so on.
She called me a virile stud!

Wait. :saddowns:

I'm really liking the cast. They're pretty much all over the top and silly in their own ways, which makes things interesting.

I'm not very far but everything seems perfectly easy to manage. Walking speed is so fast that field work can be kind of awkward, but fortunately it's really easy to use the touch screen, as your character moves pretty much as fast as you tap, so it's just a simple matter of poking the screen a few times to hoe, sow, water, and harvest crops. It feels quite streamlined and quick.

There are also a lot more triggered scenes where other characters interact or talk about you, or at least I've already got a couple on the 2nd day that seem to have been triggered simply by having the right to characters on screen at the same time.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Boneless Jogger posted:

The father and daughter of that family speak in opposites. "Bad day to you!" and so on.
That sounds like the most annoying loving thing ever.

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

The opposite speak is indicated in red so it's actually awesome.

Sofia's the best.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Chiming in with the 'tentatively loving RF3' crowd. Only on day one and I still haven't talked to everyone, but it's pretty awesome, and I like all the characters.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

I haven't played too much into it but something I'm really appreciating so far is just the speed of things.

For example in the past Harvest Moon games you'd walk up to a stump and slowly whack at it, or maybe charge up your axe swing to chop it with fewer strikes. In Rune Factory 3 you run up to that stump and you wail on it twelve times, and the processed lumber spews forth. Then you pick up nine of the lumbers at once making it faster than the single charged swing of the older games. Ore nodes will also last for more than one swing sometimes which is nice.

The same speed increase holds true for other parts of the game too. It's really notable in combat which feels insanely fast even compared to Rune Factory 2. You're doing huge linked combos with a swingspeed about 3x faster than RF2.

The enemies are also much more random in what you'll see in an area. The first monster area has one map where a monster appears that can be riding an elephant or a beetle, and the rider and mount are even separate entities.

I hated the first festival in the game, though it's likely because I sucked completely at it. It's essentially a reverse bullet-hell minigame.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
One thing I'm not getting is what area I'm supposed to be fighting in at first, because I've been out-classed in many areas already so far. I got one-shot last night on the second screen of one area. Thankfully, when I came to in the hospital, I didn't lose any time.

Blorknorg posted:

I haven't played too much into it but something I'm really appreciating so far is just the speed of things.

Yes, I'm loving it. Just wail on a tree stump for 10 seconds and you're done, and you've got 12 new pieces of lumber. In any other game, you might have only a few pieces in 10 seconds. Same goes for watering. Before, the animation lasted almost two seconds. Now, you can easily water two plots in one second.

This makes everything feel more fluid and clean.

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

Revol posted:

One thing I'm not getting is what area I'm supposed to be fighting in at first, because I've been out-classed in many areas already so far. I got one-shot last night on the second screen of one area. Thankfully, when I came to in the hospital, I didn't lose any time.

You want the forest, which is south of town. You're going to feel weak at the start either way(especially if you picked Hard difficulty), but once you get some skill levels under your belt and your hp and rp stop being dreadfully low, it picks up.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
oh man I didn't know RF3 was out- I loved RF2 and I played it wayyyy too long. Let me know how it is so I know if I wanna pick it up next week- I'm working on finishing EO3 and I'll have time soon :3

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Aladar posted:

You want the forest, which is south of town. You're going to feel weak at the start either way(especially if you picked Hard difficulty), but once you get some skill levels under your belt and your hp and rp stop being dreadfully low, it picks up.

Actually, it was because I had my difficulty set to Hard. They ain't foolin'. Even the archers in the forest would hit for 25 damage, when my HP was somewhere in the 100-150 point range. Brought it down to Normal, and it's much more manageable now.

Revol fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 12, 2010

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

Yeah, I went through that too. I struggled up until the first boss on hard mode only to discover that, at the time, he hit for approximately my entire health bar. Hard mode's brutal.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
There is an FAQ on Gamefaqs that looks to have some good information.

• Weather patterns don't last the entire day. Several times now, I've woken up to a dry morning, but would see rain later in the afternoon.
  • The Runeys you gather at random while picking crops add to your stats, permanently. There is STR, VIT and INT.
  • The FAQ says that your plants have a chance of withering every day. I'm not sure if this means that could happen even if they are watered properly every day. Either way, they can be rescued by watering them.
  • "Withered weed can also be used as fertilizer to increase plant level. To use one, place it in the soil, and either till it with your hoe or smash it
  • You can buy a tool (a magnifying glass) that allows you to see the quality of the soil and the current crop you're growing.
    with a hammer. This is a very effective method for growing crops. Its cheaper then buying fertilizer and also grows crop at a faster rate."
    Neat!
  • You also have a random chance of picking up seeds when picking crops. Sometimes, these seeds will be at a higher level than the previous crop.

• At combat skill level 5, you learn a dash attack.
  • At combat skill level 10, you can charge your attacks.
  • At combat skill level 20, you can perform special attacks.

• To own pets and monsters, you need 120 wood to give to Gaius.
  • To tame a monster, you must feed them. It only works if you use something they like.
  • Tools are not required to harvest from monsters, like milk and poo poo.

• If you befriend NPCs in town enough, they can join your party for combat.
  • You need friendship level of 3 to achieve this. The higher the friendship, the "longer they will stay", whatever that means.

• Once you beat the forest boss, your tree will grow, allowing you to build a workshop.
  • Beating the forest also allows you to buy from a larger selection of seeds. The FAQ author suggests you grow strawberries in the dungeon, because they grow fast and are repeatable.
  • Bosses are repeatable for epic lootz.
  • Want to know when you turn back into the Wooly? It's when you enter the Desert area after defeating the forest.

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!
One thing I can't figure out is how rest works. I stayed up an entire day and it never forced me to sleep, I just caught a cold. Is there anything keeping me from just staying up all the time and taking cold medicine, or will I eventually just pass out?

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

If I recall from what one of the villagers said, you get fatigued, and actions start taking more RP and you also slowly lose RP. Plus the whole cold thing. You might pass out at some point but they didn't mention that.

e: Plus, you'll never raise your sleeping skill if you stay up all the time! :v:

Aladar fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 12, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Dragongem posted:

oh man I didn't know RF3 was out- I loved RF2 and I played it wayyyy too long. Let me know how it is so I know if I wanna pick it up next week- I'm working on finishing EO3 and I'll have time soon :3

Having played the game for the last two days, I'll give everyone a quick rundown. First off, yes, the game is worth getting. It's an improvement from Rune Factory 2 in practically every way, especially when it comes to combat, where you'll juggle opponents in the air as you chain your attacks. It's awesome.

To answer a question from earlier in the thread, the villagers in RF3 are across the board more insane than the characters in RF2. And they're endearing and hilarious, not annoying, as could easily be the case when you have a cast of wacky characters. Not to give anything away, so I'll spoil it, but the first festival is the bean throwing festival, where certain villagers play the role of "demons" who are repelled by the townsfolk pelting them with beans. There's also an obese man who talks in opposites, a batty artist who lives next to the forest, and a little girl who only wants to bite you. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

What I like most about the game is the characters stay relatively fresh, and haven't become a nuisance or anything. The single seed planting system may throw some people for a loop, but you'll get used to it. Item drops seem to be more frequent as well, and yes, it's much, much easier to get wood.

Really, this game is essentially what you'd want in a sequel: it improves the flaws in the previous incarnation, improves character interaction, improves combat. Definitely get this game.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

The single seed planting system may throw some people for a loop, but you'll get used to it.

Charge up the seed throw and you can cover a 3x3 square. As far as I know this doesn't work with any of the starter tools (as normal) but there's no reason you need to keep planting single squares.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I just learned that when you ship a higher-level crop/seed, you unlock that level of seed for purchase at the store. I thought the 1-1 ratio for seeds and crops would be a bad thing but they've totally made up for it because once you've grown level 10 crops (which is easier than ever since it doesn't need greenifier), you can buy all the level 10 seeds you want. As I understand it, you technically just need 1 plant for each type of crop and keep growing then sickling it to get a higher level seed until you're at level 10, then buy all the seeds you want and harvest whole crops of level 10 veggies.
Also this is only hearsay but my friend informs me that seeds you buy never change in price, even when the level goes up. Level 10 seeds only run you as much as level 1 seeds.

This changes everything.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Vib Rib posted:

This changes everything.

Indeed it does. Checking this out now!

CaptainRat posted:

Charge up the seed throw and you can cover a 3x3 square. As far as I know this doesn't work with any of the starter tools (as normal) but there's no reason you need to keep planting single squares.

Huh. That, too, changes everything.

Also keep in mind you can plant seeds/water with the touch screen.

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

CaptainRat posted:

Charge up the seed throw and you can cover a 3x3 square.

God drat, I really wish I knew this before.

Vib Rib posted:

This changes everything.

This, too.

By the way, when you can, everyone should get an elephant pet. If you set them to take care of one of the sections of the field they seem to be able to do everything there themselves. Mine is watering the entire section as well as harvesting the grass when it's ready, meaning I don't have to do a drat thing there.

I expect they might leave actual crops in the event that you want to do something besides shipping them, but I'm not sure as I haven't grown anything besides grass in the portion he's at.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Vib Rib posted:

So I just learned that when you ship a higher-level crop/seed, you unlock that level of seed for purchase at the store. I thought the 1-1 ratio for seeds and crops would be a bad thing but they've totally made up for it because once you've grown level 10 crops (which is easier than ever since it doesn't need greenifier), you can buy all the level 10 seeds you want. As I understand it, you technically just need 1 plant for each type of crop and keep growing then sickling it to get a higher level seed until you're at level 10, then buy all the seeds you want and harvest whole crops of level 10 veggies.
Also this is only hearsay but my friend informs me that seeds you buy never change in price, even when the level goes up. Level 10 seeds only run you as much as level 1 seeds.

This changes everything.

Just so people don't make the same mistake I did with this, I want to point out that the shop will only sell a higher level seed when you ship a higher level SEED, not a higher level crop.

Also any plants grown out of season will mature into withered grass, so you don't need to waste time and produce by neglecting things you could be shipping. Just buy cheap flowers from the wrong season to fertilize.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just got a pharmacy workshop for all the medicinal herbs I have, but be careful! Crafting uses RP. I was just spamming the A button away, and then I suddenly passed out.

Vib Rib posted:

This changes everything.

CaptainRat posted:

Charge up the seed throw and you can cover a 3x3 square.

Holy poo poo, good info, men! Although, I assume that a charged-up seed throw uses 9 seed packets. Otherwise, that would just be broken as hell, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tiramisu posted:

Just so people don't make the same mistake I did with this, I want to point out that the shop will only sell a higher level seed when you ship a higher level SEED, not a higher level crop.
I guess the best approach, then, is to get a crop up to level 9 (even just one of that crop, a single square is enough) and then hit it with the sickle and sell the resulting level 10 seed. Then head to the store, buy as many as you want, and get a-planting.

As for monsters, apparently Aladar's right: monsters don't act like they did in Frontier, each assigned a specific task. Instead, they monitor one fourth of your home plot, as assigned, and will do every job. Their efficiency at it seems to be based on their level/affinity with you, just like in Frontier. But from what I've heard sometimes they leave a lot undone, and I don't know how they handle crops. If they don't leave seeds behind when they harvest crops, or if you need to repeatedly chop up crops for higher level seeds, they might interfere. Once your crops are level 10 I doubt it will matter though.

• Locked thread