Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

PenguinBob posted:

The Russian Big Muff makes a pretty badass bass fuzz, within a certain range of settings. I don't know what the market is like now, though, since they've apparently been discontinued.

If you ever find a Russian Big Muff. Don't even think, buy it. I cried a little when mine broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minto Took posted:

If you ever find a Russian Big Muff. Don't even think, buy it. I cried a little when mine broke.

The Bass Muff is modeled after the circuitry of the Russian Muff, but I think some of the internal components are different, which may bother tone nerds.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

The Bass Muff is modeled after the circuitry of the Russian Muff, but I think some of the internal components are different, which may bother tone nerds.

Yeah. I popped mine open after it broke and they used the shittiest components they could find to keep the price down.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
For anyone looking for a replacement P pickup. Dimarzio has a prewired replacement pickup/pickguard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6XQN0QLzNY

Also, review for the Genz Benz shuttlemax 12.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTh69K9ezaU

Jesus I think I just found my next amp...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 29, 2010

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

For anyone looking for a replacement P pickup. Dimarzio has a prewired replacement pickup/pickguard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6XQN0QLzNY

Wow. That sounds great. I'd really like to know how it would sound if I shoved it in my old S.D. Curlee..

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Manky posted:

Wow. That sounds great. I'd really like to know how it would sound if I shoved it in my old S.D. Curlee..

Short answer: Like a P-Bass :)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Short answer: Like a P-Bass :)

Haha, yeah. Come to think of it, the pickup in there is already a DiMarzio. So it would be especially pointless.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Manky posted:

Haha, yeah. Come to think of it, the pickup in there is already a DiMarzio. So it would be especially pointless.

Well, not pointless, it might still sound pretty different depending on how that particular model sounds.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking about putting a Dimarzio Model 1 in the neck (position) of my Electra P-bass sometime. Any experience with that pickup?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Narwhale posted:

I'm thinking about putting a Dimarzio Model 1 in the neck (position) of my Electra P-bass sometime. Any experience with that pickup?

Not me. You might want to head over to Talkbass and see. Chances are someone on there has played through one.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

scuz posted:

There's a Boss DS-1 mod that I did for my fuzz needs and holy poo poo it certainly nails everything that I could want it to do. Could probably find out where the changes were made (there's about a dozen on the IC board) if anyone's handy with a soldering iron and wants to try it out! Total cost (not including tools) was about $45 including the DS-1 and parts from mouser.com.

Man, I keep forgetting to build one of these. I picked up two DS-1's for modifying purposes. Can you tell me what you did to it, or post your parts list?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Minto Took posted:

If you ever find a Russian Big Muff. Don't even think, buy it.

Then, replace the potentiometers, because they will fail. soon.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Chalupa Joe posted:

Then, replace the potentiometers, because they will fail. soon.

And the switch too. It's a DPDT and the circuit will cut your clean highs along with the specific switch they used being garbage.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Are all volume pedals pretty much the same or is there one that's particularly good for bass?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TyChan posted:

Are all volume pedals pretty much the same or is there one that's particularly good for bass?

Pretty much the same. The Ernie Ball pedals seem to be the standard. Hell, basically its just a kevlar string attached to the pedal, wrapped around a volume pot.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Wow. I wish I had this resource when I was serious about learning to play bass. Is this the appropriate thread to ask for advice on selling my bass and amp?

I posted my gear on CL and elsewhere locally and have had no bites. I'm not fishing for a sale through SA since I'm not interested in shipping. Also, should I copy-and-paste my ad copy and upload pics here or just link to the CL ad? A point in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
There's a specific Gear trades thread. Don't worry, it's not all trades, I've just bought stuff using Paypal. I'd suggest also making a thread in SA Mart, but you have to have been registered for six months before you can sell stuff there.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
You can post it here too if you want. What are you selling?

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Yeah, it may be something nobody wants or you might be asking too much for it. What are you selling?
It's generally a lot harder to sell bass stuff than guitar stuff since bass stuff is more expensive on average and there are less people who play bass than guitar.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Arriviste posted:

Wow. I wish I had this resource when I was serious about learning to play bass. Is this the appropriate thread to ask for advice on selling my bass and amp?

I posted my gear on CL and elsewhere locally and have had no bites. I'm not fishing for a sale through SA since I'm not interested in shipping. Also, should I copy-and-paste my ad copy and upload pics here or just link to the CL ad? A point in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pictures always help in selling any gear.
Clean it up and fix anything glaringly broken/missing knobs, screws that sort of thing.

Take some good pictures, not blurry cell phone pictures in a dark dungeon.
Outdoors on a slightly overcast day gives great natural light.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
One thing I'll never get is people putting their wooden instruments face down on gravel and other hard, scratching surfaces when they photograph their stuff for sale. Makes me cringe every time when I think of all the small scratches it must cause. :(

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

black_mastermind posted:

Man, I keep forgetting to build one of these. I picked up two DS-1's for modifying purposes. Can you tell me what you did to it, or post your parts list?

Yeah! Lemme find the receipt from mouser and I think I've got a link to the TB thread somewhere.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Here's my gear ad I posted on Craigslist and another local online classified service on October 27th:

quote:

1996 Fender Squier P-Bass + Crate amp + Accessories - $275

Everything you need to get started playing bass!

Torino Red 1996 Squier P-Bass
S/N NC689480, made in China

This Precision Bass is in excellent condition. It has always been kept in controlled temperatures and the neck is true. I modified it by having the bridge professionally replaced with a Leo Quan Badass II (avg. retail $100.00) and lining the pickup cavity with copper foil to reduce interference. The original bridge is included. The only flaws are a minor ding on the body (picture available) and a typical crack in the pick guard at the jack. I have an identical new replacement pick guard I will deliver to the purchaser once I find it in my rental storage space.

The practice amplifier is the sturdy 15 watt Crate BX-15 featuring 4-band EQ and outputs for an external speaker and headphones.

Accessories include:

Hardshell tweed-covered classic Fender-style case
Tube-Tech double guitar folding stand
Qwik Time QT-7 quartz metronome with box and instructions
Qwik Time QT-11 automatic guitar tuner/pitch pipe with box and instructions
Two instrument cables

Books:

Mel Bay Bass Chords Music Pocketbook
Bass Guitar for Dummies with CD
Hal Leonard FastTrack Bass 1 with CD
Hal Leonard FastTrack Bass 2 with CD
Mel Bay You Can Teach Yourself Electric Bass
Mel Bay's Complete Blues Bass Book

Feel free to ask questions about the guitar or any other part of the package. More pictures can be provided upon request. I live in Lowertown Paducah and will be happy let anyone try out the guitar. Thank you!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I would take the Badass Bridge off and sell it for $75, then sell the package for $200, because $275 is too much to pay for a Squire from their not so good years and a practice amp.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I agree that $275 is too high. I listed that price on advice from a local instrument shop. It gives potential buyers room to haggle. $225, I think, is reasonable. I'm afraid to swap the bridge back in case there is a difference in the finish. The BA has a larger footprint than the original.

Much better musicians than I have played it and think the sound and action are just fine, even for a Squier. I lucked out and found a decent one, somehow. Plus, it's not just a guitar and an amp: look at all the accessories and learning materials that come with it.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
http://www.ampeg.com/products/b/b4r/index.html

Can someone explain this amp to me?

quote:

RMS Power Output (2 ohms): 500-Watts x 2
RMS Power Output (4 ohms): 340-Watts x 2/1000-Watts (mono)
RMS Power Output (8 ohms): 205-Watts x 2/700-Watts (mono)

I have an Avatar 2x10 and 2x12. Both wired for 8 ohms. I use both for practice/gigs and the 2x10 comes home with me for jamming and solo practice. What wattage ratings will I get for using both? How about only having 1 cab plugged in?

Also, I have an opportunity to buy this for $450. Good deal?

edit: My cabs are rated for 500 watts each. I'm reading some stuff about 600 watts per cab if wired in Mono? What?

gotly fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 12, 2010

DrChu
May 14, 2002

gotly posted:

http://www.ampeg.com/products/b/b4r/index.html

Can someone explain this amp to me?

I have an Avatar 2x10 and 2x12. Both wired for 8 ohms. I use both for practice/gigs and the 2x10 comes home with me for jamming and solo practice. What wattage ratings will I get for using both? How about only having 1 cab plugged in?

Also, I have an opportunity to buy this for $450. Good deal?

edit: My cabs are rated for 500 watts each. I'm reading some stuff about 600 watts per cab if wired in Mono? What?

You have several different options. With each cab plugged into one half of the amp, you'd get 205 watts going to each cab. If you connect the two speakers in parallel and hook them up to one channel of the amp, you'll have 340 watts going through the pair. If you have the two speakers in parallel and bridge the outputs of the amp, you'll have 1000 watts going through the pair.

I would go with the first option for most situations, unless you really need the headroom, then go with the third.

Hekat
Aug 27, 2006
WAEE!
Total noob here. I have my first bass in the mail (just shipped today!). The mistake I begin to think I made was to get the 5 string. All the training vids I see are done on 4 string guitars.

My question is, is a 5 string essentially a 4-string guitar with an extra low(or high?) string slapped on that I can ignore as I follow these training vids, or does the 5th string actually screw with my octaves or pentatonic whooziewatsit ect ect?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hekat posted:

Total noob here. I have my first bass in the mail (just shipped today!). The mistake I begin to think I made was to get the 5 string. All the training vids I see are done on 4 string guitars.

My question is, is a 5 string essentially a 4-string guitar with an extra low(or high?) string slapped on that I can ignore as I follow these training vids, or does the 5th string actually screw with my octaves or pentatonic whooziewatsit ect ect?

You'll be fine. It'll change positioning slightly, but you can still play anything just by ignoring the extra string.

Still, when just doing scales and the like, practice on the B string anyway, just to get used to playing 5-string as well.

Hekat
Aug 27, 2006
WAEE!
Erm. How will it change it slightly?

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

DrChu posted:

You have several different options. With each cab plugged into one half of the amp, you'd get 205 watts going to each cab. If you connect the two speakers in parallel and hook them up to one channel of the amp, you'll have 340 watts going through the pair. If you have the two speakers in parallel and bridge the outputs of the amp, you'll have 1000 watts going through the pair.

I would go with the first option for most situations, unless you really need the headroom, then go with the third.

Man, that sucks! I looked up the manual and sure enough, you can have <340 watts in various configs unless you have a single cab that can handle 1,000 watts or can bridge out to another cab. I have neither of those things so this amp is out.

Bass amps are hard to shop for :(
I'll probably end up buying a GK 1001 RB II to replace my dying/dead GK 700RB but I'll shop around first. (Talkbass thread for my broken amp. It's happened 4 times so far and each time I've been able to fix it until this time. Even if I fix it this time I don't really have any confidence in the thing not to crap out during a gig.

So, could I get a bass head recommendation?
I play a really wide variety of music and don't want to pidgeonhole myself into a genre with my amp. Budget is $500-$800. Looking for 500 watts minimum at 4 ohms. I'll be plugging it in to an Avatar 2x10 and 2x12. They have speakon inputs so I'd like that a lot.
I've only really had experience with GK (like) and Behringer (yuck) heads. Of course I like the $1,500 90 lb Ampeg heads but both cost and weight means I won't own one of those unless I get roadies.
I own an Ibanez SR 500 (4 string, active Barts) and play everything from Rush to Fugazi to my own weird poo poo with a glass guitar slide. Bottom line, I like to get a lot of different sounds out of my amp.

Hekat posted:

Erm. How will it change it slightly?

The strings on a 5 string are closer together than a 4 string. You'll be fine for learning on it. I've always liked 5 strings because you can anchor your thumb on the B string for most of your playing. I'd say for now, follow along with standard videos and ignore the B string. Once you get down the basics you can start incorporating it.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

gotly posted:

Bottom line, I like to get a lot of different sounds out of my amp.

Forget about the 1001RB-II then. I've been using one for a while with my Avatar 2x12 and it takes a lot of fiddling to get it to sound decent, and even then it only really works for clean sounds since the drive is buzzy and horrible. I would recommend the 800RB over any of GK's newer amps if you're looking to stay with that company- it sounds much warmer and fatter, the gain is much more musical and therefore usable, and although its rated power is less than what you have now, it would absolutely roar through a setup like your 2x10 + 2x12.

As for me, I'm ditching GK in favour of Genz-Benz. I was impressed by the Shuttle 6.0 that I played in a local store, and when I saw a 9.0 for a very reasonable price on eBay I couldn't resist.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

gotly posted:

Man, that sucks! I looked up the manual and sure enough, you can have <340 watts in various configs unless you have a single cab that can handle 1,000 watts or can bridge out to another cab. I have neither of those things so this amp is out.
You can use multiple cabs as long as they have parallel connections, which I think your Avatars do. The signal chain would be bridged amp -> cab 1 -> cab 2. This would give you 1000 watts at 4 ohms.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Juaguocio posted:

As for me, I'm ditching GK in favour of Genz-Benz. I was impressed by the Shuttle 6.0 that I played in a local store, and when I saw a 9.0 for a very reasonable price on eBay I couldn't resist.

Good man. Genz Benz is quickly becoming my favorite bass amp, pretty much on par with Ampeg at this point in my preferences.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Juaguocio posted:

Forget about the 1001RB-II then. I've been using one for a while with my Avatar 2x12 and it takes a lot of fiddling to get it to sound decent, and even then it only really works for clean sounds since the drive is buzzy and horrible. I would recommend the 800RB over any of GK's newer amps if you're looking to stay with that company- it sounds much warmer and fatter, the gain is much more musical and therefore usable, and although its rated power is less than what you have now, it would absolutely roar through a setup like your 2x10 + 2x12.

I have no brand loyalty to GK at all. Thanks for the Genz-Benz reccomendation, those weren't on my radar at all. I'll check a few out this weekend.

I'm really surprised that the GK 1001RB-II sounds bad. I thought it was just a higher wattage version of the GK 700RB-II which gets great reviews for having a lot of different tone options.

Edit: Wow these shuttles (the 6.0 and 9.0) look like they're exactly what I want. Hopefully a local place has one to try, craigslist is bare.

DrChu posted:

You can use multiple cabs as long as they have parallel connections, which I think your Avatars do. The signal chain would be bridged amp -> cab 1 -> cab 2. This would give you 1000 watts at 4 ohms.

Interesting... I may have to check this out then. Thanks!

gotly fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 12, 2010

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

gotly posted:

The strings on a 5 string are closer together than a 4 string. You'll be fine for learning on it. I've always liked 5 strings because you can anchor your thumb on the B string for most of your playing. I'd say for now, follow along with standard videos and ignore the B string. Once you get down the basics you can start incorporating it.
I would recommend supplementing with open string exercises geared to all 5 strings to develop your tone and attack.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

Also, review for the Genz Benz shuttlemax 12.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTh69K9ezaU

Jesus I think I just found my next amp...

Yup.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Arriviste posted:

blah blah Craigslist bass :words:
Got a prospective buyer checkin’ it out Saturday. Wish me luck! v:mmmhmm:v

Hekat
Aug 27, 2006
WAEE!

MolluskGoneBad posted:

I would recommend supplementing with open string exercises geared to all 5 strings to develop your tone and attack.

Might you have any of these exercises you could link me to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

gotly posted:

Edit: Wow these shuttles (the 6.0 and 9.0) look like they're exactly what I want. Hopefully a local place has one to try, craigslist is bare.

Oh man I want a Genz-Benz Shuttle 9.0 so bad. Quick question, has Avatar ever made a 300 watt version of their 2x10 Neo? I bought my 2x10 and 2x12 used and ran across someone talking about a 300 watt 2x10 version. I thought my cabs were both rated for 500 watts but never put close to that much power through them. Now that I'm thinking of buying a 900 watt head, I want to know for sure. Is there a way to tell?