Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Ashex posted:

If you want something close to stock I would use Obsidian. That's what I've got on mine and for the most part they have left it unscathed.

I'm probably going to do Macnut v11 once it comes out tomorrow afternoon, but I still hold out hope for eventual CM 6.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Epic4g news:

It looks like a rooted de-ox version of the leaked froyo beta is up for flashing on XDA.

It's a beta froyo, of course, so there are issues. The dev that is issuing this is fixing stuff as he goes, so it would probably be easier to wait a few days for everything to be fixed up.

Plus a newer beta has been leaked (but not released to the public) so it would probably be better to wait for that too.

And this doesn't contain a radio update, so no GPS fixes or anything, just the standard froyo stuff like flash and Skype working.

That all said, if you HAVE to have froyo now, and want to risk it, it's there.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 12, 2010

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Zero The Hero posted:

I want to take off some of the stupid apps that came with my Droid 2, but I'm worried about deleting something that might be system critical or used by other apps, or something. Is there a list of apps I can safely delete from my Droid 2? And I use Root Explorer to do so, right?

The following is safe to remove. Instead of deleting them entirely it might be a better idea to freeze them with Titanium or to move them with Root Explorer so you can put them back if needed.

* CarDock.apk
* CityID.apk
* MyVerizon.apk
* Skype_mobile.live.apk
* Vvm.apk
* WorkContacts.apk
* amazonmp3_1.7.22_signed_zipaligned.apk
* Blockbuster.apk
* Mynet.apk (3G Mobile Hotspot)
* MotoGAL.apk (Corporate Directory)

The entire bloatware premise is silly anyway and I don't know why people care so much about it, most of the apps aren't doing anything on your phone except taking up space in your app drawer (which you can hide).

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

God Exists. posted:

The entire bloatware premise is silly anyway and I don't know why people care so much about it, most of the apps aren't doing anything on your phone except taking up space in your app drawer (which you can hide).

The disk space is another reason ;). When you get a message saying disk is full, then see 10 apps you never use nor want, it gets irritating.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

deong posted:

The disk space is another reason ;). When you get a message saying disk is full, then see 10 apps you never use nor want, it gets irritating.

They're installed to /system, not /data, so they don't take up any space that you can be using for apps.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
And furthermore if it was the case that Verizon apps were using up needed disk space I'm pretty sure all of the D2 internal space is earmarked for apps so unless someone is going to figure out a way to fill 8GB with apps, along with your SD card, I doubt something like VZW Navigator would stand in your way.

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 12, 2010

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

It's not so much that I need it gone for every reason, but that its presence offends me. That probably sounds super nerdy, but I can't stand for my computer to ever tell me I can't do something. I just think, I own you. You have to do what I say.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

God Exists. posted:

The entire bloatware premise is silly anyway and I don't know why people care so much about it,
feels good man.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
For anyone wanting to change their system font there's a huge repository available here- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=801160

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Can I install the OTA update that sprint is trying to push to my EVO if I have rooted it? I actually tried once already and it seemed to fail when it restarted (showed an android with a red triangle containing an exclamation point). I was able to get it running again by pulling the battery, but it's asking me to install again.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Krakkles posted:

Can I install the OTA update that sprint is trying to push to my EVO if I have rooted it? I actually tried once already and it seemed to fail when it restarted (showed an android with a red triangle containing an exclamation point). I was able to get it running again by pulling the battery, but it's asking me to install again.

No, you cannot install updates if you have a modified recovery.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ok, got it. Should I be worried, or is it fine without it?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Krakkles posted:

Ok, got it. Should I be worried, or is it fine without it?

This one doesn't have any radios so it's pretty much meaningless if you have a custom ROM and/or kernel. Even if you're running stock the only bug fix listed is a power cycle issue when some apps use the camera.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Any exchange 2010 admins here? What the gently caress do you need to enable & disable to make this pile of poo poo work with CM6 email? I can only get it to work with a reeeeally ancient apk it appears I am plagued by this bug:
http://laurie.denness.net/blog/2010/09/exchange-2010-sp1-sync-with-android-froyo/

I was able to get email working finally on the stock sense email application but CM refuses to work and I'm about to just say gently caress android entirely.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

flyboi posted:

Any exchange 2010 admins here? What the gently caress do you need to enable & disable to make this pile of poo poo work with CM6 email? I can only get it to work with a reeeeally ancient apk it appears I am plagued by this bug:
http://laurie.denness.net/blog/2010/09/exchange-2010-sp1-sync-with-android-froyo/

I was able to get email working finally on the stock sense email application but CM refuses to work and I'm about to just say gently caress android entirely.

I've never been able to get the stock email program in CM6 to work properly for exchange. I finally resorted to using the seven mail beta, which works well and is free for now, http://community.seven.com/main.php . Once you're registered, you should be able to find the latest android client here, http://community.seven.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5086. .

Secret Agent
May 19, 2006
You ain't seen me, right?
Just installed the N1 partition layout on my Desire via instructions at:
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/8504-gapps-package-updates/page__p__75149#entry75149

Gone from constant low memory warnings to over 100MB internal memory free. That was a severe deficiency of the phone fixed just like that.

It blows my mind how much better my phone is now with Cyanogenmod and other rootin' goodies - way better battery life, faster, and can now install more apps. It makes it hard for me to recommend Android to non-techie friends since I wouldn't particularly want a stock Desire (or similar) myself.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
Is there an app that will let you have the puzzle lockscreen from the Galaxy S phones? I want something that will let me unlock to my new messages/notifications.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Secret Agent posted:

Just installed the N1 partition layout on my Desire via instructions at:
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/8504-gapps-package-updates/page__p__75149#entry75149

Gone from constant low memory warnings to over 100MB internal memory free. That was a severe deficiency of the phone fixed just like that.

It blows my mind how much better my phone is now with Cyanogenmod and other rootin' goodies - way better battery life, faster, and can now install more apps. It makes it hard for me to recommend Android to non-techie friends since I wouldn't particularly want a stock Desire (or similar) myself.
Agreed that the phone is a lot better with the N1 partition tables installed; combined with DarkTremor A2SD, I have a ridiculous amount of free space on my device now.

God Exists. posted:

For anyone wanting to change their system font there's a huge repository available here- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=801160
Is it just me, or does this guy seem obsessed with porting over some of the most unreadable fonts imaginable? :(

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
HTC Eris 2.1 rooted with SuperOneClick.

Trying to get recovery.img on there. I put it on the SD card, but these commands are just not working (from this guide:

I did:
adb shell
su

Then ran the first one:

adb shell mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

And that worked, but then:

adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

Says "no such file found" or something like that.

adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-ra-eris.img

Says "flash_image: permission denied"

Any ideas?

tl;dr: Just simply trying to get a recovery on an Eris. Can someone please provide a working method?

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Did you do the second and third commands?
code:
adb push recovery-ra-eris.img /sdcard
adb push flash_image /system/bin
Or did you just do the first and then skip to the fourth?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

utonium posted:

Did you do the second and third commands?
code:
adb push recovery-ra-eris.img /sdcard
Or did you just do the first and then skip to the fourth?

I manually put the files on the sd card.

Secret Agent
May 19, 2006
You ain't seen me, right?
May not be relevant here but when I used fastboot to flash an hboot image, it looked for the file on the computer, in the same folder as fastboot - not on the SD card. I'm not sure if adb is the same.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Secret Agent posted:

May not be relevant here but when I used fastboot to flash an hboot image, it looked for the file on the computer, in the same folder as fastboot - not on the SD card. I'm not sure if adb is the same.

adb itself does, but you're running an adb shell command - that means running a command on the phone itself.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
I don't have wifi and I would really like to be able to connect my wii and DS up to the internet using my phone if possible but thus far have been unable to get it to work. Is this even possible?

I have the Epic 4g and I'm rooted with the Syndicate fully loaded rom that includes Wireless Tether. When I try and connect my Wii to my phone, it sees it and shows goo signal strength but when I try to connect it just pops up an error saying it was unable to connect, check to make sure that the SSiD is correct.

Does anyone have any experience with trying to do this, or know if it's even possible to do so?

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
The Wii/DS might not be able to work with an ad-hoc connection. I'm pretty sure the latest versions of wifi-tether support infrastructure mode so your Wii can connect to it- http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/0...ties-on-evo-4g/

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 13, 2010

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

yamdankee posted:

I manually put the files on the sd card.
The third step pushes (moves) the file flash_image to the phone's internal storage. Look at it again, the path is different. You definitely need to run that command as it's written.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Wow I feel dumb. But I can't even do that:

# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb: not found
# exit
exit
$ adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb: permission denied
$ exit
exit

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push flash_image /system/bin
failed to copy 'flash_image' to '/system/bin/flash_image': Permission denied

It just won't do the "adb push flash_image /system/bin" command. What am I doing wrong?

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Rohaq posted:

Is it just me, or does this guy seem obsessed with porting over some of the most unreadable fonts imaginable? :(

There's several good ones. LiberationSans is almost exactly like Helvetica (the best font in the world)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

yamdankee posted:

# exit
exit
$ exit
exit

It just won't do the "adb push flash_image /system/bin" command. What am I doing wrong?

I'm just a noob at Unix, but line 5 says it can't find the file flash_image. Is it in the same directory as adb?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yamdankee posted:

# exit
exit
$ exit
exit

/system wasn't remounted read/write if you can't write to that directory. Maybe you have a nand lock or something.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

hatersg2haet posted:

I can't find a rom that will work on my Sprint HTC Hero without breaking something. Either visual voicemail, or text messaging, currently using Cyanogenmod but the thing runs pretty slow and laggy it feels sometimes, even thought I oced it.

It might not be a bad idea to try to flash in a new kernel. The HTC Hero's brother, the Droid Eris had some massive instability with its FroYo releases until someone elses kernel came in and fixed a ton of problems.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=756774

Looks like a new Hero kernel was released just on 11/12. Reboot into recovery, wipe system cache & Dalvik cache, then flash in that kernel. It can't hurt.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

yamdankee posted:

# exit
exit
$ exit
exit

What if you just run the command "adb remount" ? That's all I ever do with my Hero and it gives me access to whatever I need. And then try pushing that file again.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

utonium posted:

What if you just run the command "adb remount" ? That's all I ever do with my Hero and it gives me access to whatever I need. And then try pushing that file again.

adb remount requires you to have an insecure boot image. If you're initially rooting, it's probably not available.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Has anyone made a rooted version of the new Incredible update? I don't really want it (the new "allow you to upload 5mb items in email" feature is pretty nice), but the notice keeps popping up and it's bugging me. I don't feel like losing root over the loving V-Cast Store and bloatware

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Captain Charisma posted:

Has anyone made a rooted version of the new Incredible update? I don't really want it (the new "allow you to upload 5mb items in email" feature is pretty nice), but the notice keeps popping up and it's bugging me. I don't feel like losing root over the loving V-Cast Store and bloatware

I'm pretty sure if you run the update it'll fail and the notification will go away?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

God Exists. posted:

I'm pretty sure if you run the update it'll fail and the notification will go away?

I believe the Incredible is one of those HTC phones with the S-ON bootloader which means it can't be flashed with a permanent recovery. This means that if he takes the OTA notification, the OTA will flash successfully and there goes root.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
Someone on XDA posted a solution to make the message go away

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=836120

quote:

I seen this in another post, so I don't know who originally posted it because I closed the window, but can confirm it works.

Get your build.prop from your /system/ folder

edit it

put this line in, not add it but replace the line that starts like this ro.build.fingerprint=verizon_wwe/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Replace it with this
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.2/FRF91/264707:user/release-keys

Replace your build.prop and reboot. I did it by just using root explorer, copying it to the sdcard, editing on my PC, then copying it back to the /system/ folder then reboot. It might nag you once more upon reboot, but ignore and close it and it wont ask anymore.

I can confirm it works

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 14, 2010

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

traslin posted:

I've never been able to get the stock email program in CM6 to work properly for exchange. I finally resorted to using the seven mail beta, which works well and is free for now, http://community.seven.com/main.php . Once you're registered, you should be able to find the latest android client here, http://community.seven.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5086. .

Holy crap this works and isn't $30... I love you.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Any way I can install Clockwork Recovery directly? I'm stuck at the bootloader screen on my (S-OFF) Incredible, and I can't get anything to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Aatrek posted:

Any way I can install Clockwork Recovery directly? I'm stuck at the bootloader screen on my (S-OFF) Incredible, and I can't get anything to work.

Directly as in from your bootloader? You should be able to flash the file in this thread if not there's other downloads for Clockwork floating around.

Did you try installing an earlier version of ClockWork from ROM Manager?

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 14, 2010