Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

habanero walrus posted:

This post is a little old but I just got through listening to a couple episodes of this, and you guys aren't bad. The only problem is that the music you use for transitions is what I would call ear rape, at the absolute best. Holy poo poo it's obnoxious.

I know this was from several pages back, but I can't thank you enough for checking us out. I just put a new one up (usual link, http://thosedamnrosskids.com if any more self-promotion will be tolerated).

The music is a sticking point between my brother and I. I'm working on recording something a little less caustic, but what we use right now works as a kind of placeholder. I hope we can keep you around long enough for that.

The new You Look Nice Today was amazing. 45 straight minutes of Merlin, Scott, and Sandwich talking about vaginas.

Also, I can't thank this thread enough for introducing me to Uhh Yeah Dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

nemoulette posted:

The latest episode of the Joe Rogan podcast made my realize one thing: While Joey Diaz is very, very funny, Joe Rogan impersonating Joey Diaz is even funnier.

HAY COCKSUCKAH! I TOTALLY AGREE YOU SONOFABITCH! WHERE'S THE FUCKIN' WEED HERE YOU MUTHAFUCKAHS!?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I just started listening to Uhh Yeah Dude, and I'm not exactly sure what I think yet. I started at episode one. It's strange because one of the dudes is named Seth and he's from north of Boston, so I thought I was listening to my own podcast from the future or something because those are my credentials.

And then I noticed he sounds like Crispin Glover doing a Greg Fitzsimmons impression. I'll try to stick it out though, because I didn't love CDR at first and now I listen to almost every episode multiple times.

InsanityRocks
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a rocker . . I'm a roller too baby!

Wyld Cannon posted:

I just started listening to Uhh Yeah Dude, and I'm not exactly sure what I think yet. I started at episode one. It's strange because one of the dudes is named Seth and he's from north of Boston, so I thought I was listening to my own podcast from the future or something because those are my credentials.

And then I noticed he sounds like Crispin Glover doing a Greg Fitzsimmons impression. I'll try to stick it out though, because I didn't love CDR at first and now I listen to almost every episode multiple times.

stick it out, from what i remember they start getting good around episode 6, to get to the real classic episodes try from episode 122 - 150ish

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

nemoulette posted:

The latest episode of the Joe Rogan podcast made my realize one thing: While Joey Diaz is very, very funny, Joe Rogan impersonating Joey Diaz is even funnier.

He does it so well, too. I just started listening to that podcast this past week but I really enjoy it. I've listened to the most recent 5 episodes or something though and he does seem to cover almost the exact same topics with every guest he has. They branch off here and there but he has a couple of the same few talking points.

Him and Joey or Ari Shaffir are really good though. Redban tries way too hard I think.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Combo posted:

I've listened to the most recent 5 episodes or something though and he does seem to cover almost the exact same topics with every guest he has.

Him and Joey or Ari Shaffir are really good though. Redban tries way too hard I think.

He's been doing that since episode 1, rehashing the same stories over and over again. I don't mind it that much though. But whats with all the Redban hate? I find him the be the funniest guy on the show, he's such a weird dude and his YouTube page is awesome.

SpeedoJoe
Feb 23, 2006
I always wondered what Seth's job is from UYD. He sometimes talks about the people he works with. I imagine it's at least somewhat office based.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Pretend Squirrel posted:

Aside from that, I've been listening to Car Talk every week for about four years now.

Haha oh man I forgot about Car Talk. Super enjoyable even if you're useless under the hood, like me. My hours changed recently so I haven't been able to catch it and didn't even think to look on the NPR site for it.

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Haha oh man I forgot about Car Talk. Super enjoyable even if you're useless under the hood, like me. My hours changed recently so I haven't been able to catch it and didn't even think to look on the NPR site for it.

Speaking of Car Talk does anyone know if there is any truth to the story Jesse Thorn told on NNF about adding in more laughs in during post processing? Jimmy and Matt react to this story as if it's real, but I honestly can't tell if Jesse is joking or not.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wyld Cannon posted:

I just started listening to Uhh Yeah Dude, and I'm not exactly sure what I think yet.
Yeah I couldn't get into this show at all, and since it's a podcast and not some kind of marathon I don't feel any desire to stick with it. The guys have decent chemistry, but I have no idea who they are and find it hard to care about what they have to say, plus I'm not a big fan of the kind of format where people basically just riff on news stories. And one thing that absolutely started driving me insane from the start is how the one guy would constantly jump in and repeat the other guy's last sentence "Deal with it" "DEAL with it!".

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

sambafish posted:

Speaking of Car Talk does anyone know if there is any truth to the story Jesse Thorn told on NNF about adding in more laughs in during post processing? Jimmy and Matt react to this story as if it's real, but I honestly can't tell if Jesse is joking or not.

I didn't hear the NNF show, but most people don't realize how Car Talk is put together. You call in with a question, and then they call you back the afternoon that they're taping. That's why you don't have random callers who are incoherent, hang up, or don't even know what kind of car they drive. If I remember correctly they tape about 90-120 minutes, and it gets edited down to the best calls and the dead spots are removed. A producer feeds them some tech info occasionally. It's actually a pretty good model for a call-in show if you want to avoid all the "turn down your radio" and "longtime listener first time caller" crap.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

sambafish posted:

Yeah, there's an "On the Media" story (rerun . . . last weekend, maybe?) about the use of editing on Public Radio. Pretty fascinating all around.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

The last few CDRs mention unwanted attention for the podcast and it hints at some heat the show received about something that Scott won't talk about. Now, I assume that just having Zach G on the show a few weeks ago would bring about a few more listeners that might now have known about the show previously, but did I miss something else?

OR is this just Scott being Scott (as in: making up vague stuff for the sake of making up vague stuff).

MG
Feb 13, 2001

My name is Pleasence and I am FUNKY!
I think it had to do with the Mel Gibson Hangover 2 thing. Sounds like Zack was against him being in the movie and won the argument.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

He was talking about how he's turned down movie roles for moral reasons then goes on:

Zach Galifianakis posted:

But a movie you’re acting in, you don’t have a lot of control — you just show up and vomit your lines out. I’m not the boss. I’m in a deep protest right now with a movie I’m working on, up in arms about something. But I can’t get the guys to [listen] ... I’m not making any leeway,...It has something to do with a movie I’m working on, yeah. I’ll tell you about it later. It’s very frustrating."

The only movie Zach was working on was Hangover 2 and he was upset that Mel Gibson was going to have a cameo. Mel Gibson got fired and CDRR got some press.

e:fb

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I guess I'm a little confused on how any attention that might have brought him could or would be "unwanted". I could list a dozen obvious reasons why that's completely stupid, though Scott can be a tough guy to read at times and he just might be goofing around about the publicity. He pussyfooted around the whole MTV Awards controversy he was involved in, too.

The Banned
Jun 11, 2005
"My witness is the empty sky."
I just realized Scott Aukerman is Theo Brixton in the It's Insane This Guy's Taint sketch on Mr. Show. I knew he was a writer and performed a bit, but I don't know how I didn't realize he was in one of my favorite bits.

For the uninformed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anm44OEkFFk&has_verified=1

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Banned posted:

I just realized Scott Aukerman is Theo Brixton in the It's Insane This Guy's Taint sketch on Mr. Show. I knew he was a writer and performed a bit, but I don't know how I didn't realize he was in one of my favorite bits.

For the uninformed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anm44OEkFFk&has_verified=1

He wrote that great sketch where they make fun of Eric Clapton's kid getting killed, too.

Huh, typing it out like that, it doesn't sound very funny at all...

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

SpeedoJoe posted:

I always wondered what Seth's job is from UYD. He sometimes talks about the people he works with. I imagine it's at least somewhat office based.

He works part time at a Medical Marijuana dispensary. One of the posters on the UYD forum saw him there and narced on him. It's only on the weekends, he has another full time job but no one knows what it is. I like to think he's a silent food critic.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

KillRoy posted:

He works part time at a Medical Marijuana dispensary. One of the posters on the UYD forum saw him there and narced on him. It's only on the weekends, he has another full time job but no one knows what it is. I like to think he's a silent food critic.

I knew he worked at a dispensary, during one of the shows Jah tries out a strain of weed Seth gives him called "Sexy Seth's Sativa" or something. I've heard a lot of things, and he's revealed some hints throughout the years.

He doesn't come in contact with children. He doesn't work mornings (or at least not often) He possibly still works at the video store he met Johnathan in, something he said a little while ago led me to believe that. I don't think he works at an office or anything like that, or they've been able to maintain pretty well that Seth doesn't know how to use computers for the past 5 years.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

DangerDummy! posted:

I guess I'm a little confused on how any attention that might have brought him could or would be "unwanted". I could list a dozen obvious reasons why that's completely stupid, though Scott can be a tough guy to read at times and he just might be goofing around about the publicity. He pussyfooted around the whole MTV Awards controversy he was involved in, too.

A lot of people seemed super-angry at Mel Gibson being shut out of Hangover 2, so I'm sure some of that negativity spilled over at the show.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I just listened to my first Uhh Yeah Dude yesterday, show 243. You all were saying you have to listen to them from the beginning but I keyed into their humor and chemistry immediately, and it was pretty great. Them talking about axe/tag body spray had me in hysterics.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Strange Matter posted:

I just listened to my first Uhh Yeah Dude yesterday, show 243. You all were saying you have to listen to them from the beginning but I keyed into their humor and chemistry immediately, and it was pretty great. Them talking about axe/tag body spray had me in hysterics.

You don't HAVE to listen from the beginning, it's just the best way as you grow to feel like you actually know them. Doesn't matter with you if they hooked you with one show though. It's one of those rare shows that finds its stride right from the beginning.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

KillRoy posted:

I am so curious about the rest of Seth's life, but on another level, the mystery enriches the character.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I don't even know where Jonathan works. It's sort of strange, he tells you so, so much about his weird hosed up life, yet you basically only get to know that he went through a divorce at some point, and that he earlier worked at some upscale pet store.

Strange Matter posted:

To be fair, they've sort of been on vintage form since having been sort of lackluster from like episode 180 (in my opinion). If 243 was funny to you then I don't think you should give the 120-140s a listen since it might probably kill you.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
So Greg Proops has released the first episode of "The Smartest Man in the World," and it's pretty much my new favorite podcast.:swoon: If you like him and his act, I think you'll love his podcast, since it's pretty much distilled Proops. I've been a major fan of his stuff for a long, long time, and it always seemed obvious to me that he should have a podcast, so I'm pretty psyched he's finally doing it.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 13, 2010

Pretend Squirrel
Sep 18, 2009
Out of curiosity, to the people who think "new UYD" isn't as funny, what do you think has changed from the times when you thought it was funnier? I'm a new-er listener, started somewhere in the early 200's and I've been listening from the beginning while staying caught up on the new ones, and there's no discernible difference to me. Meaning I find them all hilarious.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Pretend Squirrel posted:

Out of curiosity, to the people who think "new UYD" isn't as funny, what do you think has changed from the times when you thought it was funnier? I'm a new-er listener, started somewhere in the early 200's and I've been listening from the beginning while staying caught up on the new ones, and there's no discernible difference to me. Meaning I find them all hilarious.

When the show relies on the chemistry and rapport between two guys (which is quite good) great segments or subjects really elevate their game.
To me, there's a level of craziness that came with their "To Catch A Predator" recaps that they never really recaptured once the show went off the air.
Along with Craig's House, its the Signature UYD bit.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
The newest Undead Radio is available! We babble out reviews of Black Ops, I talk some movies, and other random crap!

Woohoo

http://www2.kisw.com/listen/category/Undead+Radio -- Here, or on iTunes as Undead Radio~

Black Swan
Jul 3, 2003

Doesn't Seth work at Whole Foods? Their earlier shows were better, in my opinion, with all the games like Who's Mommin' Harder, but it's still one of the highlights of my week

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
The new Nerdist podcast is out with Kevin Pollak, and from the description Matt and Jonah aren't in it. I don't mind them, but the ones with just Chris/Guest are the best. I also can't tell the difference between Chris and Matt most of the time.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Jonah Ray used to be our friend then he moved the mainland to be a podcast star and doesn't talk to us anymore.

Thats my Jonah story.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Whoever recommended going back and listening to eps. 120-160 of Uhh Yeah Dude is my hero. Holy poo poo, I laugh like an imbecile.

I find myself accidentally using UYD terminology like "grip" in everyday speech. My secret hope is that someone out in the world will recognize it.

Also, I toned down the music for this week's "Those drat Ross Kids," and I'm working with a friend to compose an original theme. There's some good taste in podcasts up in this thread, and I want to be responsive to your needs.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Seriously guys, get on the "My Brother, My Brother and Me" wagon before it takes off. The McElroys have just been knocking it out of the park for a good ten weeks or so. Never have I so consistently laughed at EVERY episode of a podcast. There's not been a down episode in so long. I can't get over how quickly this show became amazing.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Too few people talk about Sick & Wrong, and too many people talk about whatever zany character podcast/morning zoo crew radio show/celebrity jacking off podcasts. Sick & Wrong is almost at its fifth anniversary, once a week of quality podcrafting since episode 1 and they do it just for fun, no bullshit subscriptions. As they said, support the indie podcasts and stop downloading George Clooney and Julia Roberts podcast about what they ate for breakfast.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

stop downloading George Clooney and Julia Roberts podcast about what they ate for breakfast.

I'd love to hear this, what's that podcast called?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Too few people talk about Sick & Wrong, and too many people talk about whatever zany character podcast/morning zoo crew radio show/celebrity jacking off podcasts. Sick & Wrong is almost at its fifth anniversary, once a week of quality podcrafting since episode 1 and they do it just for fun, no bullshit subscriptions. As they said, support the indie podcasts and stop downloading George Clooney and Julia Roberts podcast about what they ate for breakfast.

It's pretty surprising that nobody talks about it, since it's pretty much pure SA in a non-awkward radio show format. They talk about horrible, un-pc things and make mean jokes about it, so you guys should probably listen to it.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 16, 2010

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Tumble posted:

It's pretty surprising that nobody talks about it, since it's pretty much pure SA in a non-awkward radio show format. They talk about horrible, un-pc things and make mean jokes about it, so you guys should probably listen to it.

Dee: How do you even diddle a 3 month old? What can you possibly do to a 3 month old?
Lance: Are you asking me to imagine having sex with a 3 month old baby? I'm not partaking in that thought experiment.
(later)
Lance: I think you just kind of rub it around your parts.

I think Lance is a goon, he's mentioned Something Awful a few times and I think he found a story here once, back when they actually looked for stories.

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 16, 2010

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Dee: How do you even diddle a 3 month old? What can you possibly do to a 3 month old?
Lance: Are you asking me to imagine having sex with a 3 month old baby? I'm not partaking in that thought experiment.
(later)
Lance: I think you just kind of rub it around your parts.

Oh, wow. Maybe I'm a prude, but that pretty much kills any interest I might have had in listening to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Any chance of video from the live UYD shows popping up anytime soon? As far as I can remember they promised to release video after the first one, but I haven't seen anything yet.

• Locked thread