Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Haven't even had it two weeks, and I'm enjoying the utility of a hatch

Dropping those off at the tire place on the way to work to get my Continental Extremewintercontact tires installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I need to pickup a set of Contis for my GC STi rims. Something tells me the crazy JDM all-seasons aren't meant for snow. :(

"Bridgestone Playz" :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bull3964 posted:

Haven't even had it two weeks, and I'm enjoying the utility of a hatch

Dropping those off at the tire place on the way to work to get my Continental Extremewintercontact tires installed.
Legacy weagon people can hold all that with the seats still up.
:colbert:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Bookmarked, thanks :cool:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nm posted:

Legacy weagon people can hold all that with the seats still up.
:colbert:

I'll remember that when I'm rowing through my manual gearbox since Subaru doesn't think wagons should get them anymore.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bull3964 posted:

I'll remember that when I'm rowing through my manual gearbox since Subaru doesn't think wagons should get them anymore.
I have 3 pedals too, so that wiked sweet ice burn didn't work.
Unicorns are more fun!

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!
Does anyone know the details of running e85 in a WRX? I have an 08 and every day on my way to work I pass an E85 station and can't help but think of the wonderful tune I could have on my car with a fuel that has an octane rating of around 100 compared to the regular california gas.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Here's a question: For winter-prep, my various cousins and associates recommended rust-proofing the underside of my Subaru. Is this a definite need? Also, what other fluids need to be replaced for subzero temperatures? I know windshield fluid is a must, but anything else recommended as well?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Qapf posted:

Does anyone know the details of running e85 in a WRX? I have an 08 and every day on my way to work I pass an E85 station and can't help but think of the wonderful tune I could have on my car with a fuel that has an octane rating of around 100 compared to the regular california gas.

on the stock turbo you can get away with a walbro intank pump and bigger injectors. You'll probably want close to 1000cc - deatschwerks does 850, 1000, and 1300cc. You'll probably also want to consider an accessport so you can easily switch back to a 91 map if needed in an emergency.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Just Another XY posted:

Here's a question: For winter-prep, my various cousins and associates recommended rust-proofing the underside of my Subaru. Is this a definite need? Also, what other fluids need to be replaced for subzero temperatures? I know windshield fluid is a must, but anything else recommended as well?

Coolant, Oil, get a block heater. Rust proofing would only be really necessary if they salt the roads there, it's not a bad idea though.

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!

jamal posted:

on the stock turbo you can get away with a walbro intank pump and bigger injectors. You'll probably want close to 1000cc - deatschwerks does 850, 1000, and 1300cc. You'll probably also want to consider an accessport so you can easily switch back to a 91 map if needed in an emergency.

that was my other question about having a 91 octane backup map and being able to retune for normal gas if I can't find e85.

any hoses or o-rings or other things to be afraid of? My 08 is stock atm so my plan was to save up and to accessport + turboback + e85 mods all in one go and have a custom map made for my car for both 91 and e85.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Qapf posted:

that was my other question about having a 91 octane backup map and being able to retune for normal gas if I can't find e85.

any hoses or o-rings or other things to be afraid of? My 08 is stock atm so my plan was to save up and to accessport + turboback + e85 mods all in one go and have a custom map made for my car for both 91 and e85.

From my understanding fuel systems are pretty much all compatible with ethanol these days.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hey guys,
I was on the highway and noticed a strange smell coming from the from the front of My 05 Saabaru (EJ20T). It didn't smell quite like fuel, and there wasn't any visible problem, and it went away intermittently.

When I pulled off I popped the hood, and there was smoke coming from the turbo, or at least somewhere within the turbo heat shield. The car seems to run fine otherwise. I just had the oil done. Is there any way to check the car? I have limited access to tools etc. Is it possible the turbo is blown? =/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

Hey guys,
I was on the highway and noticed a strange smell coming from the from the front of My 05 Saabaru (EJ20T). It didn't smell quite like fuel, and there wasn't any visible problem, and it went away intermittently.

When I pulled off I popped the hood, and there was smoke coming from the turbo, or at least somewhere within the turbo heat shield. The car seems to run fine otherwise. I just had the oil done. Is there any way to check the car? I have limited access to tools etc. Is it possible the turbo is blown? =/

More likely a line has developed a crack. PITA to change but more importantly do it properly else you have the flames problem I had

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Wrar posted:

Hey guys,

Maybe someone spilled oil on there during the change and it's just burning off?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

From my understanding fuel systems are pretty much all compatible with ethanol these days.
I don't think this is true.
Automakers are freaking out over increased ethanol use (e20+) causing increased warranty repair numbers.
I'm sure they're more resistant, but over the long term, I think there are potential issues. The fact that some guy has run e85 for a few years doens't tell much about long term issues.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nm posted:

I don't think this is true.
Automakers are freaking out over increased ethanol use (e20+) causing increased warranty repair numbers.
I'm sure they're more resistant, but over the long term, I think there are potential issues. The fact that some guy has run e85 for a few years doens't tell much about long term issues.

Hence why you get a tune for the e85...

The Moon Babies
Oct 26, 2010
I'm currently looking for my first car, and I'm currently looking at Honda Civics, Scions (Which my sister has and is very reliable) and Toyotas. I'm also interested in used Subaru Imprezas because they're pretty easy to find from 2008 in the 15k range which is what we're looking to pay. I really like the Imprezas but compared to the other the mileage isn't too good. Is it really that big of a difference compared to other similar cars? The thing that's drawing me towards the Impreza is the standard AWD- I go up to the mountain to ski a lot and it would be wonderful to not have to puit chains.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
If you live in a climate that sees heavy snow, expect AWD cars to carry a premium.

The Moon Babies
Oct 26, 2010

literally just posted:

If you live in a climate that sees heavy snow, expect AWD cars to carry a premium.

I'm not sure where my college will be, meaning I'm not sure if I'll be in an area that snows yearly. I do go up north to ski though, so the convenience of not needing chains would be really nice. It's just that the car gets 23-28 for a sedan which really isn't that good. Can any Impreza (Not WRX/STI) drivers tell me what you get on average? The estimates seem to be a bit low most of the time.

OpiaTool
Jul 18, 2001

The Moon Babies posted:

I'm not sure where my college will be, meaning I'm not sure if I'll be in an area that snows yearly. I do go up north to ski though, so the convenience of not needing chains would be really nice. It's just that the car gets 23-28 for a sedan which really isn't that good. Can any Impreza (Not WRX/STI) drivers tell me what you get on average? The estimates seem to be a bit low most of the time.

I drive an 03 Forester (basically the same as an Impreza) and with very little highway driving (5-10%) I average 26-28 mpg each tank. I usually drive 270-290 miles and fill up when I hit quarter left, end up putting 10-10.5 gallons in.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I live in Colorado and drive an '09 2.5i - Fuelly says that I tend to run around 20mpg doing city driving almost exclusively, though I tend to like to accelerate up to the 45mph speed limit a bit more quickly than is recommended in the owner's manual - earlier records showed me getting mid-20's during break-in when I was going strictly by the manual's shift points.

Highway driving, though, I can easily do low-30's and that's making good time in fifth gear.

The Moon Babies
Oct 26, 2010

Cuntpunch posted:

I live in Colorado and drive an '09 2.5i - Fuelly says that I tend to run around 20mpg doing city driving almost exclusively, though I tend to like to accelerate up to the 45mph speed limit a bit more quickly than is recommended in the owner's manual - earlier records showed me getting mid-20's during break-in when I was going strictly by the manual's shift points.

Highway driving, though, I can easily do low-30's and that's making good time in fifth gear.

That's actually a question I had. I'm currently in my permit phase and I'm driving my mother's 325i, and when I accelerate faster it lingers at the 12mpg mark for much less time than it does if I accelerate slower. I realize that a jack rabbit start uses more gas in the short term, but since it takes less time does it end up using less gas in total as opposed to taking off slowly?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Moon Babies posted:

a jack rabbit start uses more gas in the short term, but since it takes less time does it end up using less gas in total as opposed to taking off slowly?

Nope, area under the curve and all that. if you're really super serious about eking at that last mile per gallon and don't mind driving like a twat, you can accelerate very very slowly to save gas.

But really, seriously, just driving with traffic is a good rule of thumb.

Regarding your purchase decision, if you're planning to have just one car and aren't going to be doing a lot of driving (i.e. you live on a college campus and don't have a 50mi/day commute) you really can't do better than a Forester, Outback or Legacy wagon. Even the '08+ WRXs are spacious.

The Moon Babies
Oct 26, 2010

Sterndotstern posted:

Nope, area under the curve and all that. if you're really super serious about eking at that last mile per gallon and don't mind driving like a twat, you can accelerate very very slowly to save gas.

But really, seriously, just driving with traffic is a good rule of thumb.

Regarding your purchase decision, if you're planning to have just one car and aren't going to be doing a lot of driving (i.e. you live on a college campus and don't have a 50mi/day commute) you really can't do better than a Forester, Outback or Legacy wagon. Even the '08+ WRXs are spacious.

Howcome you don't suggest an Impreza? I understand it's less utilitarian but it also seems easier to park. Also, I'd have to get an older model of the Outback because I can't pay for the new ones. Here's what I was looking at (along the lines at least, I'll be buying a month or two from now)

http://www.stevenscreeksubaru.com/used/Subaru/2007-Subaru-Outback-dc9d2c5e0a0a00640125871f23c19fbb.htm

What do you think?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Amandyke posted:

Hence why you get a tune for the e85...
We're talking about rubber being eaten away by ethanol. A tune has nothing at all to do with it.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

nm posted:

We're talking about rubber being eaten away by ethanol. A tune has nothing at all to do with it.

Everything I've read regarding ethanol and fuel systems leads me to believe that the % of ethanol doesn't really matter. The components can either handle it or they can't. Since any car sold within the past 30 years or so likely was designed with E10 in mind, it's not really something to worry about.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Black88GTA posted:

Maybe someone spilled oil on there during the change and it's just burning off?
Oil cap is on the front right of the motor. The turbo is on the rear left. I either have a damaged oil line or loose banjo bolt.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Make sure all your CV boots are intact. The exhaust around the turbo is a prime place for the passenger inner boot to fling grease when it fails.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Moon Babies posted:

Here's what I was looking at (along the lines at least, I'll be buying a month or two from now)

http://www.stevenscreeksubaru.com/used/Subaru/2007-Subaru-Outback-dc9d2c5e0a0a00640125871f23c19fbb.htm

What do you think?

68k miles on a 2007? gently caress no.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Moon Babies posted:

Howcome you don't suggest an Impreza? I understand it's less utilitarian but it also seems easier to park. Also, I'd have to get an older model of the Outback because I can't pay for the new ones. Here's what I was looking at (along the lines at least, I'll be buying a month or two from now)

What do you think?

I only suggested the larger cars because they're large enough to fit you, your stuff, and three friends for a longish drive to the slopes, with the Impreza the rear seats are... snug.

There's no real difference in parking difficulty, because there's only 9 inches between the Impreza and the Outback. They're not a 20+ ft truck.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Sterndotstern posted:

I only suggested the larger cars because they're large enough to fit you, your stuff, and three friends for a longish drive to the slopes, with the Impreza the rear seats are... snug.

There's no real difference in parking difficulty, because there's only 9 inches between the Impreza and the Outback. They're not a 20+ ft truck.

That's actually one of the reasons I went with an Outback instead of an Impreza or WRX wagon. The Outback has a lot of room behind the rear seats. Plenty of space for poles, boots, and bags for four people.

Bob Log bought his 2011 WRX from Stevens Creek, and has had a few problems with them. You might want to look at a different dealer. I'm ordering my Outback through Albany.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2973186&userid=55204&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I have an 06 WRX which is a bit different, but I love it to death. I take good care of it. I always look forward to driving.

Despite that we still take my girl friend's 07 civic on our weekday 9-5 commute, and even on long road trips. The MPG difference is huge. It's more spacious and if I didn't have a limited her interior would be nicer too.

Cost wise you can probably even get a newer and better trim Civic than an Impreza as well.

Unless you are enthusiastic about Imprezas or Subaru, then the AWD is really the only big selling point.

The Moon Babies
Oct 26, 2010

Kageneko posted:

I have an 06 WRX which is a bit different, but I love it to death. I take good care of it. I always look forward to driving.

Despite that we still take my girl friend's 07 civic on our weekday 9-5 commute, and even on long road trips. The MPG difference is huge. It's more spacious and if I didn't have a limited her interior would be nicer too.

Cost wise you can probably even get a newer and better trim Civic than an Impreza as well.

Unless you are enthusiastic about Imprezas or Subaru, then the AWD is really the only big selling point.

I'm looking at the civic as well. In all honesty, how big of a hassle are chains? If I go up only twice a year is it worth buying a car for the AWD?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Moon Babies posted:

I'm looking at the civic as well. In all honesty, how big of a hassle are chains? If I go up only twice a year is it worth buying a car for the AWD?

You're talking about going up to Tahoe, right? Even with AWD on a Chrysler Town & Country last year, I put chains on when the snow got really ugly. IMHO, chains aren't that bad, and you should learn how to use them regardless of whether or not you get AWD. I went with the Outback because my wife has a Fit for daily's and this was going to be our fun car/Tahoe car. It also ended up being priced right for that class/size of car, the 3.6r has a good amount of power to weight, and the limited has a great interior.

The thing is that if you're going to get this car for daily driving, you can definitely get cheaper cars with better mileage.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 15, 2010

The Moon Babies
Oct 26, 2010

CrazyLittle posted:

You're talking about going up to Tahoe, right? Even with AWD on a Chrysler Town & Country last year, I put chains on when the snow got really ugly. IMHO, chains aren't that bad, and you should learn how to use them regardless of whether or not you get AWD. I went with the Outback because my wife has a Fit for daily's and this was going to be our fun car/Tahoe car.

I am talking about Tahoe- good guess. So in your opinion the AWD isn't worth a car with worse mileage/worse dealer?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Moon Babies posted:

I am talking about Tahoe- good guess. So in your opinion the AWD isn't worth a car with worse mileage/worse dealer?

You said Stevens Creek, so you're in the same area as a bunch of us. ;)

If you want a car to go from the SF Bay Area to Tahoe for skiing, and you plan on packing your car with four people + gear, then you'll want something bigger than the Impreza. If it's just you and your girl in the car, or maybe three total then you could probably fit just fine in an Impreza wagon. Four people's worth of gear will be a tight fit.

If you want a car for a daily driver, then you might want to just get a civic or fit or whatever.

As far as dealers go, there's a lot of them around here. Don't stick to just those guys - shop around some of the other dealers in the bay area.

The Moon Babies
Oct 26, 2010

CrazyLittle posted:

You said Stevens Creek, so you're in the same area as a bunch of us. ;)

If you want a car to go from the SF Bay Area to Tahoe for skiing, and you plan on packing your car with four people + gear, then you'll want something bigger than the Impreza.

If you want a car for a daily driver, then you might want to just get a civic or fit or whatever.

I see what you're saying. I'm actually in Mountain View so Steven's Creek is a bit of a drive away. My mother had a Mercede's and she said whenever she had to go for maintenance it was a pain driving that far and not being able to walk home. My sister, on the other hand, has a Scion which has a dealer in Sunnyvale- she can walk home easily. Honda also has one on El Camino.

I'll be using this car for probably 98% every day driving since it's my only car, and the rest for heavy weather driving, so I'm just not sure if it's worth getting a Subaru in Steven's Creek with meh service when I could get a Honda or Toyota with a dealer several blocks away. How bad is it driving somewhere far for maintenance; should it be a deciding factor for what car to get?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
If you're looking at used cars, you should probably just find a general mechanic that's close to you. They can be much much cheaper than the dealer, and it's not like you're tied to the dealer if they're not giving you some awesome warranty coverage. Having your maintenance done far away is not pleasant because that means you'll need another ride if you want to do something other than wait for your car.

There's also Putnam Subaru in Burlingame, which might be a bit closer to you.
http://www.putnamsubaruofburlingame.com/index.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Babies
Oct 26, 2010

CrazyLittle posted:

If you're looking at used cars, you should probably just find a general mechanic that's close to you. They can be much much cheaper than the dealer, and it's not like you're tied to the dealer if they're not giving you some awesome warranty coverage. Having your maintenance done far away is not pleasant because that means you'll need another ride if you want to do something other than wait for your car.

There's also Putnam Subaru in Burlingame, which might be a bit closer to you.
http://www.putnamsubaruofburlingame.com/index.htm
The Puntam Subaru is about twice the distance away, thanks for thought though. So what you're saying is that I can just go to an independent mechanic nearby, what would be an example of a place like that, and does it cost much more than it would at the dealer if your warranty is over?