Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

wayfinder posted:

I'm trying to route the outs from a multi-out VST (AraldFX AXV5, a frequency splitter) to separate chains in an effect rack, but it seems impossible. Has anyone got an idea?

I've been able to route to separate audio tracks, but that's not what I want :(

You can't route outputs from a multi out plugin within a chain, your best bet would be to have multiple instances of the plugin and solo each isolated frequency range within each instance of the plugin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

RivensBitch posted:

You can't route outputs from a multi out plugin within a chain, your best bet would be to have multiple instances of the plugin and solo each isolated frequency range within each instance of the plugin

You can also just do that with the built in multiband compressor.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah the routing in Live is kinda inflexible :(

I ended up doing it by hand with rubberfilter.

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL
At my loving wit's end with Live and ASIO. I've only just started using Live and I'm already frustrated to poo poo.

I'm just going through the start lesson to configure my audio hardware - I can get a test tone through DirectX, but obviously I'd like to use ASIO for reduced latency. I can't seem to get it to work though.

I have ensured that the Microsoft GS synth isn't switched on in the MIDI preferences and that 'exclusive control' of my USB speakers was disabled, but ASIO4ALL v2.1 is still asking me if the Microsoft synth is enabled, stating that another application is using it. The internet hasn't been a terrible lot of help as a lot of solutions are vague as poo poo.

What the hell am I missing here?

e: here's a picture of the MIDI settings to make sure I've disabled the synth properly, along with asio4all -

http://imgur.com/ed9TB.png

I don't know if disabling it is the same as removing it or just turning everything off like I initially thought, but I spent a good while clicking and couldn't find anything :shobon:

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 4, 2010

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

What audio interface are you using? Asio4All isn't guaranteed to work with everything.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
If I have my Voyager's manual in front of me, I should be able to draw MIDI automation per CC on it, right? Kind of a dumb question, but I've yet to do it.

Can I change patches that way too?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Midi CCs are available in the envelope and automation lanes for tracks and clips, so yeah that should be pretty simple. Just keep in mind that MIDI can only handle 1000 events per second, or 10 CC envelopes moving from 127 to 0 every 1.28 seconds. This sounds like a lot but it can get used up pretty quickly, and not all MIDI interfaces are created equal. Some will crap out with much less data going on, I'm pretty sure it's related to the quality of the driver because it does affect playback of the entire set when things start getting out of hand.

To change patches usually would involve program changes, which is done per clip. It's in the lower left of the screen somewhere when you double click the clip.

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 4, 2010

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

RivensBitch posted:

Midi CCs are available in the envelope and automation lanes for tracks and clips, so yeah that should be pretty simple. Just keep in mind that MIDI can only handle 1000 events per second, or 10 CC envelopes moving from 127 to 0 every 1.28 seconds. This sounds like a lot but it can get used up pretty quickly, and not all MIDI interfaces are created equal. Some will crap out with much less data going on, I'm pretty sure it's related to the quality of the driver because it does affect playback of the entire set when things start getting out of hand.

To change patches usually would involve program changes, which is done per clip. It's in the lower left of the screen somewhere when you double click the clip.

Got it, thanks duder. That cutoff knob is begging to be automated.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Is it just me, or is MIDI starting to seem really old and outclassed by things like USB?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Vector 7 posted:

Is it just me, or is MIDI starting to seem really old and outclassed by things like USB?

Starting? I've hated MIDI since my inception

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Yeah, it seems pretty lame. I guess the good news is that it seems most of the new gear that comes out sports a handy usb connection, so maybe eventually it'll just kind of go away.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Vector 7 posted:

Yeah, it seems pretty lame. I guess the good news is that it seems most of the new gear that comes out sports a handy usb connection, so maybe eventually it'll just kind of go away.

If only usb chained well...

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

RivensBitch posted:

If only usb chained well...

I just realized you never emailed me back about lightbiz :(

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Lightbiz? Er.... what? Email me again I'm a total airhead.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

RivensBitch posted:

Lightbiz? Er.... what? Email me again I'm a total airhead.

The lights that you make. You needed a website! No big deal, just griefin

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I do need a website. Make me one and I'll give you some lights!

(and lets take this to email I'm sure everyone here is enjoying our conversation)

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL

RivensBitch posted:

What audio interface are you using? Asio4All isn't guaranteed to work with everything.

Audio interface?

The devices I'm using are seen in the screenshot (Logitech G35 headset).

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Blackclaw posted:

Audio interface?

The devices I'm using are seen in the screenshot (Logitech G35 headset).

I think the G35 has a nonstandard chipset that may make this really, really difficult for you. I'd say use onboard sound or get an actual ASIO device, as the G35 isn't really made for what you're trying to do.

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

Yeah, through ASIO it seems that my normal onboard sound seems to have no difficulty. I might have to use my old Sennheiser headset then. Thanks for the help :)

e: Wait a sec, even though it doesn't say that my outputs on my sound card are being used (through ASIO), I'm still having no luck getting an output. :(

double edit: disregard, I am a retard that wore the wrong headset.

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 5, 2010

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Anyone see this? Kind of cool - http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Detail?no=203

Peanut Wagon
Dec 28, 2006

Relax. Go Nuts.
Ok so i'm really new to ableton. I just got an APC20 and have done all the lessons and am trying to add on lessons. I tried doing the samplification livepack and tried installing it but I cant seem to figure it out. My computer says its installed but its not showing up in the add on lessons menu. Id appreciate any help.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 8, 2014

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
I slowed a track down but when I slice it to a new MIDI track it's at the original bpm. Is there a feature to slice using the bpm you've changed it to?

I guess I could just export the whole track at the new bpm and then import that wav and slice that. It would be nice to avoid doing that every time though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I slowed a track down but when I slice it to a new MIDI track it's at the original bpm. Is there a feature to slice using the bpm you've changed it to?

I guess I could just export the whole track at the new bpm and then import that wav and slice that. It would be nice to avoid doing that every time though.

I had trouble with this a while ago, too. Apparently 'Slice to new MIDI track' can be a little finicky, and seems to ignore things like drastic warping or tempo change. You need to consolidate the clip after you make your changes to it - unfortunately I don't know of a way to do this in Session view; unless you're already there you'll have to drag the clip into the Arrange page and hit Command+J (or CTRL+J), then add your new warp markers if you prefer to slice based on those, and slice the clip.

EDIT: I wonder how many times I've typed the word "consolidate" in this thread.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 8, 2010

Peanut Wagon
Dec 28, 2006

Relax. Go Nuts.

colonp posted:

It shows up in mine. Has Live told you it's installed? Does it show up in Live Packs in Library in Preferences?

Yeah it says its installed and it shows up in the library under preferences. Maybe I just dont understand how to use LivePacks? If thats the case Im really sorry but I do need the help.

Peanut Wagon fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 8, 2010

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Peanut Wagon posted:

Yeah it says its installed and it shows up in the library under preferences. Maybe I just dont understand how to use LivePacks? If thats the case Im really sorry but I do need the help.

Your live packs will appear under the Live Devices tab on the left side of Ableton (2nd one down). Most of the Suite live packs are things like Sampler and Operator and Impulse which are all MIDI devices (inside the Instruments folder). Depending on how you make your music you may or may not find these packs useful.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Peanut Wagon
Dec 28, 2006

Relax. Go Nuts.

colonp posted:

?

My computer is authorized and it says its installed in the preferences section. I dont have the full version (I just got the one that came with the Akai APC20).

Peanut Wagon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 9, 2010

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Peanut Wagon
Dec 28, 2006

Relax. Go Nuts.
I figured it out. Since I dont actually have the sampler I cant do the lessons. :( Thanks for the help though, I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
I know this can be done but I have no idea how to achieve it. I want to be able to play two insturments at the same time live. So for instance I have a piano on track 1 (with a midi controller hooked up to play it) and a guitar on track two. The record arm button let's this happen but it only works with one trck at a time. How do I make this happen at the same time?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
You can arm more than one track by ctrl-clicking the arm button.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

wayfinder posted:

Alas! I knew there was an easy way! Thanks a ton. Im gonna be on bass, another on guitar. I have my apc40 with two footswitches hooked up to it, mapped to arming and recording with the loopers on each individual track... so we each have a dedicated looper. This could get very interesting.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

wayfinder posted:

You can also set this (and whether SOLO is exclusive as well) as your default in Preferences, I believe it's under 'Record/Warp/Launch'.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

You can also set each tracks input monitoring to "on" if you don't actually want to record, the on/auto/off buttons do this.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I wish that, when you freeze/flatten a track, it didn't put "(Freeze)" after the name of the clip.

First of all, it's flattened now, not frozen. Second, that's just not necessary! Now I need to take the half second to change it back, and it jacks up my flow. :(

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
Is there a reason why sampler volume defaults to -12db and not 0db?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
Because you need headroom for all sounds, and the difference between analog and digital decibel scales.

−20 dBFS = 0 dBVU = +4 dBu

You never want to mix for zero in a daw. You want the kick hitting at -6 or -5 dbfs. That way you have room to really get some loudness with nice dynamic range.

Ignore me if you are the electro artist Danger. GOGO super square wave. Man are my ears tired.

That said I love danger in club.

Read this post on gearslutz
The Reason Most ITB mixes don’t Sound as good as Analog mixes. This is a repost from another thread. Hope you find it usefull.

Ok, I'm going to try and give you An ITB education, as my over 24 years has taught me. Here is what I try and teach to students. I'll try and keep the math to a minimum.

First, I own a high end analog setup's Via an SSL 4K with 1/2' 2 Track YADA YADA, ICON with Killer OB FX And classic Compressors, YADA YADA/ Hybrid Setup Via AWS 900w/ 24 Channels Of Xlogic Killer OTB FX and Comps YADA YADA. Point is not to impress, or brag in any way, but to let you know everyday I work on a verity of systems. This has led me to The Following conclusion.

To learn to mix ITB coming from an analog world you must revisit what Voltage reference Analog consoles work at, and make appropriate adjustments to translate this to work ITB.

The first thing we must ask is simply what is 0VU. What does it mean to us. Lets use an SSL G+ as our point of reference mainly because I work on those every day. If we put a signal into the line input of the SSL so the channel meter reads 0vu, that also, is referenced as +4 or 1.23 volts. A kick rear end SSL will go out to about +24DB, so we have approximately 20 DB of headroom above the 0 VU point on the meter before the signal goes to crap.

Now let take a common situation. A Client hands you a Protools session and you spread it out over the SSL console. Like most people today every track is recorded as hot as hell. Most pro Eng's will use proper gain staging and get the now slammed meters reading around 0VU or 1.23 volts. By lowering the line trim we now have a good level into the desk so we can Compress/Gate/EQ the Signal without it overloading the processing. Sounds simple right? Remember that all outboard equipment was designed to work around the 0VU/+4/ 1.23 Volt reference. So by putting the incoming signal at around this reference, your rack equipment will work better as well.

Why use a +4 reference? Well remember that the 1.23 volt reference came from the tube days where 1.23 volts was enough voltage over the plate noise that you still had a good signal to noise ratio, but still left room above 1.23 volts to allow for normal audio operations.

Now to ITB. Lets pretend we have the same setup as we did on the SSL. Client hands you a session that’s recorded hot as hell. Now most folks mixing ITB don't understand reference levels when relating it to Digital. To have the same amount of "headroom" as we do on the SSL we must create a reference of 0VU or 1.23 volts at -20 from 0DBFS or the top of the Digital scale.

So if you simply place the good old trim plugin as the very first plugin, you now have the ability to adjust your tracks to our Mixing (+4/1.23 volt) reference IE -20. Just like you did on the SSL. You have have the same amount of headroom. Now with your tracks properly gain staged, you can add EQ/dynamic plugins and not run out of headroom. You can also insert hardware and they will operate much better as they are operating at the level they were designed to operate at.

Plugins use the same reference at real equipment. Never try and drive them to the top of the Digital scale. Don't try and make your mix look like a master. You don't do that on an analog console, so why do we do it ITB?

The answer is simple. DAW meters suck Butt. There should be a meter mode in all DAW's that makes the meter at 3/4 scale equal -20 at 1.23 volts. Just like the old VU. This way, novices will quit corn-holeing their levels.

Something to think about. The noise floor of an analog desk is about -75 DB from our +4 reference. Our equivalent "problem level" below our -20 reference in digital is well over 100 DB. So please don't let people tell you analog has more "headroom" than digital. This is simply not true. Headroom is only relative to your noise floor below your reference. Remember if the volume is to low, turn up the darn speaker volume.

Running a Digital mix right to the top of the scale is like running your SSL mix buss where the VU meters are slammed all the way to the right and you are constantly hitting it at +25. No one will get a good sounding running the desk like that. You won’t get a good sounding mix in digital either.

So what does all this mean? Put simply, proper gain staging is essential to both analog and digital mixing. You just need to correlate the references between the two. Once you figure this out, I'll Guarantee your mixes will start to sound open and wide, just like the good old analog days.

I might not listen to a guy who spells variety, varity though. Believe at your own peril I guess.

It is true though. You dont need to spell to run an ssl 4k.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 20, 2010

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

That's a pretty long winded answer.

Nindoze - set the velocity in sampler all the way up and send it a note at 127 velocity and you'll see why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
My Ableton training is coming along nicely. I've finally figured out warping and the grid to the point that I can cut up and cue scenes from a single track instead of chopping all of those scenes into individual clips and cueing them that way. Now, to be able to go beyond where I currently am, I need to figure out a way to conform my loops to sections of the individual track and figure out a way to have that looped region jump around between warp points in my song, kind of like hot cues in Serato.

Let's say I've got my song and I have 4 parts of the track that I want to loop and jump between. I have my warp points set at the beginning and end of each scene in the clip, 8 points in all. Is there a hot key or other method for moving the loop selector between sets of warp points in the track? Is there another way I can accomplish this kind of remixing without chopping up my track and cueing the individual loops? Am I even describing this properly?