Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.

jvempire posted:

What are the best games on GOG that have LAN capabilities? I have MOO2 and was thinking about getting Total Annihilation, but are there any others?

If you want a great LAN party game, Ghost Recon is one of the best! You can play the entire campaign Coop and it's fun as hell (just prepare to die a lot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

jvempire posted:

What are the best games on GOG that have LAN capabilities? I have MOO2 and was thinking about getting Total Annihilation, but are there any others?

TA is really rad. Make sure you install something like this: http://thepack.tauniverse.com/ to add a ton of variety to the game, and expect the games to last hours. I think the save function is relatively reliable, too.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So I've got a hankering for shooting up spaceships and robots, so I was thinking of buying both the Independence War games and the entire Descent series and both Freespace games.

Are these all playable to a reasonable standard with mouse + keyboard, or is a joystick a must-have? Anyone had any weird issues or complaints with the GOG versions of any of these?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Descent is a maybe with mouse/keys, but Freespace and especially IW pretty much require a gamepad or joystick

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

thorsilver posted:

So I've got a hankering for shooting up spaceships and robots, so I was thinking of buying both the Independence War games and the entire Descent series and both Freespace games.

Are these all playable to a reasonable standard with mouse + keyboard, or is a joystick a must-have? Anyone had any weird issues or complaints with the GOG versions of any of these?

I know some actually prefer mouse when playing Freespace, a friend of mine played through Freespace 2 using mouse+keyboard.
IW, because it uses more advanced physics, needs a joystick, I think.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
FS2 is defenitely well playable with M+K. IWar I would get a joystick though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

thorsilver posted:

Caveat: I don't have the GOG versions of Descent or Freespace, just I-War.

Descent is really an FPS, not a flight sim. You can play it with joystick but it also works great with mouse+keyboard - just bind up/down/roll left/roll right to the same keys you'd normally use for jump/crouch/lean left/lean right. Don't forget to grab the D2X-XL engine; it runs on everything and supports both D1 and D2.

Freespace 1 and 2 work fine with both KBM and joystick (and I've played them with both), pick whichever you prefer. Like Descent there's an upgraded engine available, FS2Open, although its FS1 support was kind of spotty last time I played it.

I-War is playable with KBM, but unlike FS1 and Descent you'll need to do all of your piloting with the keyboard - the mouse is dedicated to manipulating cockpit controls. You probably want a joystick for that one. (I've also heard, but have not tested for myself, that it works great with a gamepad.)

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

FS2Open, although its FS1 support was kind of spotty last time I played it.

FSPort is pretty much perfect atm.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

ToxicFrog posted:

Caveat: I don't have the GOG versions of Descent or Freespace, just I-War.

Descent is really an FPS, not a flight sim. You can play it with joystick but it also works great with mouse+keyboard - just bind up/down/roll left/roll right to the same keys you'd normally use for jump/crouch/lean left/lean right. Don't forget to grab the D2X-XL engine; it runs on everything and supports both D1 and D2.

Freespace 1 and 2 work fine with both KBM and joystick (and I've played them with both), pick whichever you prefer. Like Descent there's an upgraded engine available, FS2Open, although its FS1 support was kind of spotty last time I played it.

I-War is playable with KBM, but unlike FS1 and Descent you'll need to do all of your piloting with the keyboard - the mouse is dedicated to manipulating cockpit controls. You probably want a joystick for that one. (I've also heard, but have not tested for myself, that it works great with a gamepad.)

This is awesome, thanks! The consensus seems to be Descent + Freespace 1/2 will be playable, but I-War needs a joystick due to complexity. I'll definitely go pick up Descent and Freespace then, and hang back on I-War until I get my hands on a decent USB joystick.

While reading up on these titles I spotted Darkstar One on GOG as well, which looks visually pretty and possibly enticing. One of the reviews is bitter and spergy as gently caress, while the other two are the normal over-the-top GOG praise. Any opinions?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Darkstar One might be okay for you if you thought Freelancer was the greatest game ever made. I dunno, I found it pretty boring and exceedingly shallow. It's fun for a little arcade shooter.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

"Boring and exceedingly shallow" sums it up pretty well; it's a weak knockoff of Freelancer, which wasn't very good to begin with.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Furret Basket posted:

On the same token, does anyone know what the co-op is like in Arcanum? It's marked as co-op on the GOG page for it. Do mods still work as long as you both have the same ones installed?
I found multiplayer Arcanum kind of disappointing. You can't play the main campaign in multiplayer and the included modules were underwhelming. In multiplayer there is no world map travel and you can't carry over inventory betweeen modules. You're stuck with whatever the module gives you. I don't remember there being any way of saving either. I like Arcanum but it isn't the kind of game I would buy for co-op.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Are there any games on GOG that I should buy coop for?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

jvempire posted:

Unreal Tournament 2004, of course.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Furret Basket posted:

Neverwinter Nights has a bit going on I suppose

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Furret Basket posted:

IWD 1/2 are great coop, though they take some doing to get working these days (Hamachi, etc)

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Neverwinter Nights has a bit going on I suppose

A bit? People spent years crafting their perfect NWN campaigns.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

IWD 1/2 are great coop, though they take some doing to get working these days (Hamachi, etc)

Even over LAN?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

"Boring and exceedingly shallow" sums it up pretty well; it's a weak knockoff of Freelancer, which wasn't very good to begin with.

Freelancer had problems, but it was at least its own game. It's basically Diablo crossed with a space sim - not very deep, but it is often very addictive and fun.

Darkstar One, though? I loving hate that game. It's such an also-ran snorefest that really doesn't contain anything of note. It's not a bad game per se, but it literally offers nothing that cannot be gotten better elsewhere.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Furret Basket posted:

Even over LAN?

They both support TCP/IP so I don't think it should be that hard.

IPX is where Windows 7 really fucks you over.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

The only games worth playing multiplayer that use IPX (that you can't run in DOSBox) are all Westwood games.

DOSBox is pretty great for multiplayer IPX. I've been playing Duke3D recently over co-op, we couldn't get any of the source ports working for the life of us but good old DOSBox worked a treat. Infact with creative messing around with the setup program you can get it playing pretty close to a modern FPS anyway.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Magnificent Quiver posted:

A bit? People spent years crafting their perfect NWN campaigns.

Just a little understatement. I've been playing the hell out of it lately. Need to find some good post HOTU campaigns

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

They both support TCP/IP so I don't think it should be that hard.

For some reason it's incredibly hard until you use GameRanger at which point it usually works pretty well (at least I've never heard of anyone being unable to play IE games over GameRanger).

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

BadAstronaut posted:

So, does anyone want to motivate/inform/help me with the early stages of Master of Orion? That's one huge-rear end manual, and I just tried to play the game without reading it and got my rear end handed to me early on. Do I need to just suck it up and get through that big PDF so I can enjoy the game, or does it become more intuitive?

What makes this game so great? How long does a game usually last? And does the tech/research tree compare to that of, say, Civilization?

MOO's loved by nerds the world over, and I want to enjoy a piece of that (and I don't just want to skip the original and go on to MOO2 either).

Any goon love here would be appreciated!

In the early game, population comes first, and industry second. The contribution of each pop is a mere fraction of what factories can produce, but is much more readily available. You can easily send over twenty pop for 10 BC production, but 10 factories would cost 100 BC to produce - or forever with just that one starting pop (I can't seem to find a turn counter...). Also, even going pure industry, it will be a while before you can hit your max factories.

Keep some military going, even if it is obsolete. It'll make an easier time of diplomacy.

Military bases are great defense. During combat you can switch between scatter packs and single shot missiles if the enemy's ECM or shields are too high. You can press B to scrap some bases if you accidentally built too many.

There is a key that cycles you to planets with incoming hostile fleets. F7 or F8 or F9. Its two of those three, I don't remember which.

There is an unofficial patch that may be of interest to you.

Transferring from planetary reserves is very useful once you start taking enemy planets or needing to shore up defenses because your colony rush has just met the AI. 300 BC is a lot more significant on damaged/underpopulated/still getting setup colonies than it is added to one of your established planets. You can only do this transfer through the planet list.

Trade can hurt and help your income. I like to start with the smallest agreement for the smallest hit to my income. Sometime after that starts turning a profit renegotiate for a higher trade amount. It'll take the average of your current percent return and new trade percent deficit or something like that.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Furret Basket posted:

DOSBox is pretty great for multiplayer IPX. I've been playing Duke3D recently over co-op, we couldn't get any of the source ports working for the life of us but good old DOSBox worked a treat. Infact with creative messing around with the setup program you can get it playing pretty close to a modern FPS anyway.

Duke3D tends to have really crazy lag problems if you get a bunch of people with different computers on a lan. I haven't really tried it since last summer, but I think it was an issue with DOSBox's IPX implementation.

I wish somebody would come up with an IPX emulator for Windows games, just for continuity's sake.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Hakkesshu posted:

Freelancer had problems, but it was at least its own game. It's basically Diablo crossed with a space sim - not very deep, but it is often very addictive and fun.

Darkstar One, though? I loving hate that game. It's such an also-ran snorefest that really doesn't contain anything of note. It's not a bad game per se, but it literally offers nothing that cannot be gotten better elsewhere.

Blimey, a lot of harsh reviews in this thread.

So what alternative is there for a space trading, Privateer sort of game? Is Freelancer itself available somewhere or is there some other one that's considered way better?

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

thorsilver posted:

So what alternative is there for a space trading, Privateer sort of game? Is Freelancer itself available somewhere or is there some other one that's considered way better?

X3: Terran Conflict is the best one out there and it's on Steam. A lot of people don't like it, but I think that's because upon playing it they find out they're not that into space trading.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

X3: Terran Conflict is the best one out there and it's on Steam. A lot of people don't like it, but I think that's because upon playing it they find out they're not that into space trading.
It might also be because they realise it's harder to get into than EVE loving Online.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
If by 'harder' you mean 'requires some reading' :smug:

Ninja edit: yeah that poo poo is punishingly hard at the start.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Furret Basket posted:

On the same token, does anyone know what the co-op is like in Arcanum? It's marked as co-op on the GOG page for it. Do mods still work as long as you both have the same ones installed?

Remember back around 98 and 99 when Diablo 1 was a huge success and everyone wanted to make their own? Arcanum co-op is like that. It does not use the campaign, it uses special modules. It's all real time and I believe they said it's only in the game because Sierra forced it on them.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

MMAgCh posted:

It might also be because they realise it's harder to get into than EVE loving Online.

If space trading was easy everybody would be doing it

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

thorsilver posted:

I-War 2

And Space Rangers 2 of course :)

freshlenin
Apr 20, 2007

Svampson posted:

If you want a great LAN party game, Ghost Recon is one of the best! You can play the entire campaign Coop and it's fun as hell (just prepare to die a lot)

The most fun I ever had at a LAN was playing Ghost Recon. Putting claymores on your own spawn and blowing everyone up after they get wiped out became our favorite pass time. Good memories with that one, very good memories.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

If space trading was easy everybody would be doing it

X3: Boostraps Edition

al-azad
May 28, 2009

thorsilver posted:

Aquanox takes place underwater but it's pretty much a faster paced, arcade-ey Freespace/Descent. It's also a really fun game with hilariously bad dialog.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can you still play IPX games over Kali? I used that to play Duke, Shadow Warrior and Blood multi all the loving time.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Hamachi has replaced what Kali used to do. The thing with IPX is that your OS needs to support it natively for it to work and Windows XP was the last version of Windows to do so.

DN3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood will all still work in DOSBox though because it emulates the IPX layer and translates it to TCP. And it works pretty well, although apparently

Duke3D tends to have really crazy lag problems if you get a bunch of people with different computers on a lan. I haven't really tried it since last summer, but I think it was an issue with DOSBox's IPX implementation.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

al-azad posted:

Aquanox takes place underwater but it's pretty much a faster paced, arcade-ey Freespace/Descent. It's also a really fun game with hilariously bad dialog.

I remember the first time I saw the title Aquanox and I thought it was a sequel/spin-off to Nox.

Horn fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 15, 2010

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Man they really need to get that game.

Of course I want bacon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Furret Basket posted:

Hamachi has replaced what Kali used to do. The thing with IPX is that your OS needs to support it natively for it to work and Windows XP was the last version of Windows to do so.

DN3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood will all still work in DOSBox though because it emulates the IPX layer and translates it to TCP. And it works pretty well, although apparently

How well does Hamachi work if you run XP on a VM on 7? hmm.