Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bambi posted:

Wal-Mart Black Friday

Is Amazon generally competitive with Black Friday deals? There are no Wal-Marts near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
They did a lot of price-matching last year. Dunno whether that'll carry over this year, but I would imagine so.

http://www.amazon.com/blackfriday

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

morestuff posted:

I'm assuming a slip cover, those cardboard boxes that have the rad embossed foil and holograms.
Those things I always throw away immediately. I should go make a thread with pictures on a hidef forum the next time I buy some movies.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Those things I always throw away immediately. I should go make a thread with pictures on a hidef forum the next time I buy some movies.

You could probably make money sending the slips you don't want to those loving retards on dvdtalk and blu-ray.com.

If it so much as creases they flip the gently caress out asking people if they have extra slipcovers.

and the best is when they freak out about lenticular covers

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

sportsgenius86 posted:

You could probably make money sending the slips you don't want to those loving retards on dvdtalk and blu-ray.com.

If it so much as creases they flip the gently caress out asking people if they have extra slipcovers.

and the best is when they freak out about lenticular covers

I joined that Disney Blu-Ray Club and they've been sending me these dumb 3-D lenticular cards as throw-ins. Could I be sitting on a goldmine?!?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So, it looks like America IS getting the Inception Collector's Edition, available here:
http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-WB-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=INWBDVDBDBC&src=EINBC&adid=1110InceptEml

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Somewhat random question as I'm filling in gaps in my movie collection: does anyone know if there are any differences between the 12/2007 and the 2/2010 releases for Pan's Labyrinth? It looks like they may have different aspect ratios, but I'd have expected more internet rage concerning which is the "correct" ratio were that true. I'd appreciate it, as I love this movie and would hate to find out that one has been DNRed to hell and back or something.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Somewhat random question as I'm filling in gaps in my movie collection: does anyone know if there are any differences between the 12/2007 and the 2/2010 releases for Pan's Labyrinth? It looks like they may have different aspect ratios, but I'd have expected more internet rage concerning which is the "correct" ratio were that true. I'd appreciate it, as I love this movie and would hate to find out that one has been DNRed to hell and back or something.

Exact same disc for both releases. The only difference is the re-release had a slipcover. However, it has indeed been DNR'd to hell and back.

Metropolis (Kino) reviewed

quote:

While I don't think the captures do justice to the image in-motion, I'd like to reserve the bulk of my comments for when we add the Masters of Cinema Blu-ray to this comparison. I have a sneaking suspicion it will 'best' the Kino... on every front.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know one version is infamous for its DNR

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

doctor thodt posted:

Metropolis (Kino) reviewed

Is the Masters of Cinema release expected to be region free? I almost bought it already for the case alone, but it'd be a shame if we couldn't get the better of the two versions in our region.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

doctor thodt posted:

Here's a nice deal: you can get a Sony BDP-S470 Blu-Ray player (3D capable) for $59.99 through Disney Movie Rewards if you buy 5 eligible titles.

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/blu-ray-upgrade?cmp=dmov_dmr_emc_gwp_bd-upgrade

All you have to do is enter the 5 DMR codes between Nov. 8 - Jan 31. If you were going to buy 5 Disney movies in this time period (or already own some of the titles but haven't entered your codes yet) then this is a no-brainer.

Anybody happen to have 1 qualifying code? I'm short by one, (threw away three of those drat codes that would have worked).

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

tickle monster posted:

Is the Masters of Cinema release expected to be region free? I almost bought it already for the case alone, but it'd be a shame if we couldn't get the better of the two versions in our region.

It's expected to be region locked.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

Crackbone posted:

Anybody happen to have 1 qualifying code? I'm short by one, (threw away three of those drat codes that would have worked).

You have a PM

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anchor Bay will be releasing the original I Spit on Your Grave on Feb. 8

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Holy poo poo, I didn't even know Peeping Tom was coming out on BD (in the UK), but the reviewer at Blu-Ray.com gave it 5 out of 5

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Peeping-Tom-Blu-ray/10491/#Review

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino's Metropolis looks OK, but it seems to have some light noise reduction. Not nearly as sharp as the HDCAM "print".'

edit: Region FREE??? That's terrible considering they apparently got MoC to lock their disc because they were going to on theirs. Maybe MoC pulled a switcheroo and made it region free as well, but put Region B on the cover (which is the case with a few of their DVDs).

Bambi posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't even know Peeping Tom was coming out on BD (in the UK), but the reviewer at Blu-Ray.com gave it 5 out of 5

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Peeping-Tom-Blu-ray/10491/#Review

I'm surprised it's 5/5 considering there's a decent amount of DVNR in the image and seems to have aliasing problems (perhaps 1080i origin?).

Really sad that Criterion lost the rights since this would have been a knockout release from them.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 12, 2010

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

F2000 is worth it for "Firebird Suite" alone.

I prefer Rhapsody in Blue myself.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Here's a nice deal: you can get a Sony BDP-S470 Blu-Ray player (3D capable) for $59.99 through Disney Movie Rewards if you buy 5 eligible titles.

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/blu-ray-upgrade?cmp=dmov_dmr_emc_gwp_bd-upgrade

All you have to do is enter the 5 DMR codes between Nov. 8 - Jan 31. If you were going to buy 5 Disney movies in this time period (or already own some of the titles but haven't entered your codes yet) then this is a no-brainer.

Haha this is a nice deal. Already have TS 1&2, and Beauty and the Beast. I was going to pick up TS3 anyways and I will probably get Fantasia. Holy poo poo that is a nice player for that cheap.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Best Buy Black Friday Blu-Ray Deals:

quote:

$12.99 Titles

Book of Eli
Hangover
District 9
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs
Couples Retreat
Funny People
Ninja Assassin
The Blind Side
Clash of the Titans

$10 titles

Prince of Persia
Saving Private Ryan
Predators
Kick rear end
The Killers
Day Breakers
Wolverine Origins
Taken
Role Models
Public Enemies
Boondock Saints
Legion
From Paris With Love

$7.99 titles

Brooklyn's Finest
Watchmen
I am Legend
The Departed
Hancock
The Crazies
Superbad
The Wrestler
Reservoir Dogs
Law Abiding Citizen
Gran Torino
White out
Big Daddy
V for Vendetta

I am in for a $10 copy of Predators and Saving Private Ryan, for sure. Here's hoping Amazon price matches everyone again, so that I can just order it from the comfort of my laptop.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egbert Souse posted:

edit: Region FREE??? That's terrible considering they apparently got MoC to lock their disc because they were going to on theirs. Maybe MoC pulled a switcheroo and made it region free as well, but put Region B on the cover (which is the case with a few of their DVDs).

Extremely lovely move by Kino. They're claiming it was due to a manufacturing error, but given their history of region free BD's, that's obviously hogwash. It's naked duplicity, and makes me all the more glad I'm not giving them a red cent for this release.

Salon Kitty reviewed

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

OGB posted:

Best Buy Black Friday Blu-Ray Deals:

I am in for a $10 copy of Predators and Saving Private Ryan, for sure. Here's hoping Amazon price matches everyone again, so that I can just order it from the comfort of my laptop.

How exactly does the price matching work with Amazon? Do they just automatically lower their prices to match Best Buy et al., or do you have to do something like enter a code or scan an ad to get the price?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Colonel Whitey posted:

How exactly does the price matching work with Amazon? Do they just automatically lower their prices to match Best Buy et al., or do you have to do something like enter a code or scan an ad to get the price?

Last year, Amazon just seemingly had the EXACT prices that say, Best Buy, Target, etc. did.

I'm pretty sure they have a team that scours the Black Friday deal sites to match or beat them.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

doctor thodt posted:

Exact same disc for both releases. The only difference is the re-release had a slipcover. However, it has indeed been DNR'd to hell and back.

Thanks for the info, even if it's disappointing. Christ, why DNR a film as beautiful as that one?

VVVVVVVVVV
That's fabulous news, thanks.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 13, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Thanks for the info, even if it's disappointing. Christ, why DNR a film as beautiful as that one?

The UK release is region free and has no DNR, but a lossy audio track. Definitely worth importing if you don't care so much about audio quality - the picture is an enormous improvement.

Gary now has both Metropolis releases up for comparison.

quote:

The visual differences between the US and UK Blu-rays is too minute to make issue with. I had my wife do a double-blind test, using my 60" system, on 3 separate scenes and I wasn't able to state with any certainty which edition one was playing. Technically we can give this to the Masters of Cinema transfer though which has a higher overall disc space size, larger file size for the 2.5 hour feature - by about 2.5 Gig - and hence, a higher video bitrate. Perhaps someone with a sharper eye or larger system could note any disparity.

Audio is likewise indistinguishable - both with two lossless DTS-Master tracks (5.1 and 2.0 channel) of the Gottfried- Huppertz score as performed by the Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra, Berlin - conducted by Frank Strobel. It sounds so majestic and rich - really magnificently supporting the onscreen visuals.

So, what are the differences? - well, like the DVD editions, Masters of Cinema have recreated the theatrical 'feeling' using the original German intertitles cards - with English subtitle translation optional. I rate this as a huge difference almost akin to a DUB vs. original language audio. Personally, I am put far deeper into the mood and aware of the historical significance of what I am watching. Also the Masters of Cinema subtitle translation is more complete and accurately worded (see our sample below). My Momitsu confirms that the UK disc is region 'B'-locked.

The other ginormous difference is in the extras. The MoC matches the Kino with the never-before-seen 54-minute documentary on the making and restoration of Metropolis entitled The Voyage to Metropolis (Die Reise nach Metropolis) and the 2010 restoration trailer. What we lose is the 10-minute interview with Paula Felix-Didier, curator of the Museo del Cine, in Buenos Aires. BUT what we gain is fabulous - a full-length audio commentary, recorded in March of 2010, by David Kalat (who, generally, handles production history) and Jonathan Rosenbaum (discussing critical perspectives - also impressions from other journalists). They work very well together and discuss the enduring legacy of Lang's Sci-fi classic, revelations contained in the newly found footage, the power of the images and film language utilized by the iconic director among many other details. It's fabulous - fairly low key - but brimming with relevant information. Possibly this is my favorite commentary of the 2010 year. Lastly, included in the package is a magnificent 56-page booklet featuring archival interviews with Fritz Lang, a 1927 review by Luis Buñuel, articles by Jonathan Rosenbaum and Karen Naundorf, and restoration notes by Martin Koerber. Masters of Cinema handily wins in the supplements department.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

:sigh:

A couple more like this and I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and go region-free.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
New cover for Machete:

Click here for the full 1500x1500 image.

I like the old one better, but this one is fine too.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bambi pre-order is $14.99 after a $10 Amazon coupon:

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Home-V...&pf_rd_i=300381

FitFortDanga posted:

:sigh:

A couple more like this and I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and go region-free.

There's already plenty of incentive to go region free - no need to wait for more!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So are the cases for the Amazon UK Alien Ahtnology just universally lovely or did I get a bad batch? 3 out of the 6 discs were completely loose, the plastic thingies that hold the discs had snapped.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

So are the cases for the Amazon UK Alien Ahtnology just universally lovely or did I get a bad batch? 3 out of the 6 discs were completely loose, the plastic thingies that hold the discs had snapped.

That blows, mine from amazon.co.uk was fine. Just checked my email and it says "(Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.)", so it wasn't another seller through amazon or anything (I don't think they do sell it from anyone else). Awesome collection.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Mine were fine.

Amazon are usually fantastic with their customer service even for international orderers, so I hope your replacement goes well.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there any specific reason why REC is available on DVD but not BD in the U.S.?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Kentucky Shark posted:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there any specific reason why REC is available on DVD but not BD in the U.S.?

Not really - just another title that never got a BD release. Sony pushed it out on DVD to coincide with their remake, Quarantine (which did get a BD release), but they just didn't feel it was worth the money/effort to put a BD out for the original as well.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
America Lost and Found: The BBS Story reviewed. Have only skimmed through it so far because it's a massive review, but I'm pretty sure I know what I want for Christmas.

As an aside, how is Gary not functionally blind by now?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story reviewed. Have only skimmed through it so far because it's a massive review, but I'm pretty sure I know what I want for Christmas.

As an aside, how is Gary not functionally blind by now?
Kind of curious why they put A Safe Place and Drive He Said on the same disc.

Unless I'm missing out on some kind of connection looking the two up.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

Universal catalog wave on Feb. 8:
Barb Wire
Flipper
The River Wild
Uncle Buck
Waist Deep

The preorders for these just popped up on Amazon and are fairly cheap for new releases. I don't know if it is a MSRP mistake or the normal price.

$10.49
Flipper - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BSWC08?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004BSWC08
Uncle Buck - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BSWC0S?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004BSWC0S

$13.99
Barb Wire - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BSWC3U?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004BSWC3U
The River Wild - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BSWC8A?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004BSWC8A
Waist Deep - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BSWC80?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004BSWC80

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Justified Season 1 is coming January 25 :banjo:
Let Me In Feb. 1
Monsters will hit BD February 1 courtesy of Magnolia (don't you just love those guys?)
Ong Bak 3 Feb. 8
The Way Back (Peter Weir's return to film) already has a BD release date - April 19, and you can pre-order it now for the low low price of $20,367.99 (entirely reasonable for a Peter Weir film imo)

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Avatar: Extended Collector's Edition reviewed here. Yeah, that's a good-rear end set. Probably the best value you're likely to find for such a comprehensive release too.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

Bambi posted:

The Way Back (Peter Weir's return to film) already has a BD release date - April 19, and you can pre-order it now for the low low price of $20,367.99 (entirely reasonable for a Peter Weir film imo)

Wowee! And I save $8,729.01?! Sign me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Bambi posted:

I wonder whose body that is.

• Locked thread