Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I decided to make a quickie for Novvember while I work on the designs for my two main Vipers. Except, it's not actually a Vic Viper, it's a Zig, from everyone's favorite tired old meme.

Thunderwoot Booya posted:

O CAPTAIN! my CAPTAIN! they set up us the bomb;
The ship is getting signal, the main screen has turned on;
The war begins, the CATS will win, for he has all our bases,
While follow eyes the moving zigs, the pilots without faces:
But O Ha! Ha! Ha!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my CAPTAIN lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

My CAPTAIN does not answer, has now made his time;
We have no chance to survive, CATS revels in his crime;
The ship is bomb’d, its sensors off, its voyage closed and done;
From fearful trip, our ship is on the way to destruction;
Exult, O ships, and move, O zig!
But I, with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my CAPTAIN lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

3 posted:

I decided to make a quickie for Novvember while I work on the designs for my two main Vipers. Except, it's not actually a Vic Viper, it's a Zig, from everyone's favorite tired old meme.

What's holding the trans green piece here?

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
New pics of the 2011 sets are up.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48477

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Flavor Bear posted:

What's holding the trans green piece here?

One of these in white.

Muppetjedi posted:

Pharaohs Quest looks baller as hell.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

3 posted:

One of these in white.

Pharaohs Quest looks baller as hell.

Rumor has it the Lego Store will have Pharaoh's Quest available in the next couple weeks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Ninjago set is turning out way different than I expected.

:stare:

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

SynthOrange posted:

Aw man, I just kitbashed a pair of nunchucks, and they're making an official one? At least I didn't waste any glue on a swallow too.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
Ok, I was just cleaning out my closet to make room for christmas presents, and I came across this set, in it's entirety, but without instructions or a box. a few of the pieces were taken apart so I googled the set to find the instructions and noticed that the cheapest set for sale is $80.... why the hell is this set so expensive? the minifigs are pretty cool, but other than that, there isn't really anything that jumps out to me.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=vampire

I also found

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=60550

which apparently sells for $100 as well, those are crazy prices

edit: the plane in pharohs quest looks really cool, I hope my kids ask for that next year.

Fozzie Bear fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 13, 2010

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Well, it's from the old LEGO Studios line, though I'm pretty sure it was during my Dark Ages since I didn't recognize it. At the time, LEGO was marketing a rebranded Logitech webcam, and you'd buy these sets to make movies with the included software. There was even an official Steven Spielberg minifig in one of them.

It's basically conflict-in-a-box taken to an extreme. I don't know that they were particularly popular beyond the novelty factor for a lot of the parts.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

SynthOrange posted:

That's an official set? They are really starting to take cues from AFOLs.

Edit:Just looked at the Eurobricks photos. Is Ninjago some sort of card game/heroclix thing too?

Evek fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 13, 2010

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Holy poo poo! Adventurers is back!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Creator sets and Pharaoh's Quest look so amazing.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Fozzie Bear posted:

Ok, I was just cleaning out my closet to make room for christmas presents, and I came across this set, in it's entirety, but without instructions or a box. a few of the pieces were taken apart so I googled the set to find the instructions and noticed that the cheapest set for sale is $80.... why the hell is this set so expensive? the minifigs are pretty cool, but other than that, there isn't really anything that jumps out to me.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=vampire

I also found

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=60550

which apparently sells for $100 as well, those are crazy prices

edit: the plane in pharohs quest looks really cool, I hope my kids ask for that next year.

Oh man, I had an opportunity to buy that Studios set back when KB Toys was clearing out all their stores. Early this year I also found a bashed-up but unopened Batman set at Target. I didn't snag either one. Dang it, I could've made me some money, if only I'd bought sets that held no interest for me at the time.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

About resising, it's mostly the fact that I need to be able to do it in a batch, resising just above 100 pics is too much.

Check out IrfanView for batch conversion and resizing.

Commie
Sep 18, 2000
I love lego but my skills are pretty meh. My anniversary is coming up soon and I thought I'd get my wife (who also loves lego, we spent last weekend building the imperial flagship and the halo pelican) a custom set. We just visited Amsterdam recently and my wife absolutely loves the architecture there so I thought I'd make her a Dutch canal house because I figured that's inside my skill range

Dutch Canal Houses

Click here for the full 1680x1260 image.

And my attempt:

Click here for the full 1680x923 image.

There are interiors which include staircases, hallways and apartments. They're not furnished because at some point it started to feel like I was playing the sims but in slow motion. I think this looks good but I've spent hours on this now in LDD and I think I've lost perspective. Thoughts?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At a rough glance, most of the ones in the reference picture seem to have three windows across, and the window sizes are larger in proportion to the building than what you've got.

fursmbrero
Dec 27, 2002

Time Cowboy posted:

Oh man, I had an opportunity to buy that Studios set back when KB Toys was clearing out all their stores. Early this year I also found a bashed-up but unopened Batman set at Target. I didn't snag either one. Dang it, I could've made me some money, if only I'd bought sets that held no interest for me at the time.

My oldest son (3yo) has an acute fascination with Batman and Lego minifigs. For his birthday, we thought we'd make him a Lego Batman cake, with a Lego Batman figure as the topper. Thought no problem, just hop on bricklink & grab a whole set, because they were being given away at retail outlets let's see here, how much cash will I need HOLY poo poo ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Stupid me from the past, I should have bought the Batman sets :(

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Evek posted:

Edit:Just looked at the Eurobricks photos. Is Ninjago some sort of card game/heroclix thing too?
It seems to be more like a Bakugan/Battle Strikers thing. The minifigs go on the top, you spin the top and try to knock your opponent off (that's why the skellies have different arms and feet, so they can hold weapons outstretched and have the same stability as normal minifigs). The cards are apparently special moves which you can play against your opponent, such as having to give up one weapon for a round or play with their eyes closed.

It is cool that they're doing the full range of normal sets as well as the tops, though. I'll definitely get the little impulse with one Ninja and one skeleton, as it also seems to have a good range of weapons included.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So uh, anyone else who tried to buy some of those Batman sets get a refund yet? Is it really going to take 5-10 days to get my money back? Holy loving poo poo

Commie
Sep 18, 2000

SynthOrange posted:

At a rough glance, most of the ones in the reference picture seem to have three windows across, and the window sizes are larger in proportion to the building than what you've got.

Are there larger windows in LDD? I didn't see any in LDD but maybe I missed them. This was my first time using it.

Edit: ah, found the bigger window. It looked like a door at first glance. Also gave me a reason to redo the window stonework. I think it works better now:

Thanks for the input

Commie fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 14, 2010

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Muppetjedi posted:

Love that fangly fish.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Captain Invictus posted:

So uh, anyone else who tried to buy some of those Batman sets get a refund yet? Is it really going to take 5-10 days to get my money back? Holy loving poo poo

You can try calling your credit card provider and tell them what happened, they can probably give you a credit until it's sorted out. But otherwise they will take their own sweet time.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
They only did this because they knew we want lots of dark red.

But I'm not complaining.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
This is from a while back, but looks like I was wrong when I thought there wouldn't be any Cars (the Pixar film) Lego because it was a Duplo thing.

Set #8200 – CARS Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen.
Set #8201 – CARS Classic Mater 1.5.2011
Set #8206 – CARS Tokyo Pit Stop
Set #8423 – CARS World Grand Prix Racing Rivalry
Set #8424 – CARS Mater’s Spy Zone
Set #8426 – CARS Escape at Sea
Set #8484 – CARS Ultimate Build Lightning McQueen
Set #8486 – CARS Mack’s Team Truck
Set #8487 – CARS Flo’s V8 Café

Scheduled for May next year (from here). My kid won't be old enough for it yet though. However, that may not stop me getting some.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

This is from a while back, but looks like I was wrong when I thought there wouldn't be any Cars (the Pixar film) Lego because it was a Duplo thing.

Set #8200 – CARS Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen.
Set #8201 – CARS Classic Mater 1.5.2011
Set #8206 – CARS Tokyo Pit Stop
Set #8423 – CARS World Grand Prix Racing Rivalry
Set #8424 – CARS Mater’s Spy Zone
Set #8426 – CARS Escape at Sea
Set #8484 – CARS Ultimate Build Lightning McQueen
Set #8486 – CARS Mack’s Team Truck
Set #8487 – CARS Flo’s V8 Café

Scheduled for May next year (from here). My kid won't be old enough for it yet though. However, that may not stop me getting some.

"Escape at Sea"? I must have napped through that part of the movie.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like Cars 2 specific stuff.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I wonder how big this Ultimate Build McQueen is going to be. It seems like an odd idea to have a huge model set for a movie tie-in marketed toward 6 year olds.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

To be fair Pixar movies are great kid movies for adults. :colbert:

edit: I like your river house thingy, especially the basement portion. You should go look at all the lego building instructions for the modular houses. They have neat techniques you can adapt for yourself.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 14, 2010

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Captain Invictus posted:

Just checked my account and talked to Amazon... I guess in this instance, they have placed a hold on that cash, and yes, it will be tied up for the next 7 or so days.

Serves me right for ordering from Marketplace.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Give me Wall-E Lego dammit.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Heres's a few more MOCs. They all have the same red-on-brass color scheme (except for the last one, which is more burgundy), which I really like. I got the idea for the top one from seeing an old Blacktron set!

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

Well Manicured Man posted:

Heres's a few more MOCs. They all have the same red-on-brass color scheme (except for the last one, which is more burgundy), which I really like. I got the idea for the top one from seeing an old Blacktron set!

If I had ships like these, I'd be wearing a suit too :smug:

Nice MOCs by the way!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

That is a classy color scheme right there.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Time Cowboy posted:

That is a classy color scheme right there.

Indeed, it is. Have another one! I like this one, though I feel it may be a bit too top-heavy, and its legs look kind of spindly.

And this is something different. I was actually hesitant to upload it here, since I just built something from a Creator instruction manual and edited it, making it some kind of hollowed-out robot cyborg hyena thing.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler

Commie posted:

I love lego but my skills are pretty meh. My anniversary is coming up soon and I thought I'd get my wife (who also loves lego, we spent last weekend building the imperial flagship and the halo pelican) a custom set. We just visited Amsterdam recently and my wife absolutely loves the architecture there so I thought I'd make her a Dutch canal house because I figured that's inside my skill range

There are interiors which include staircases, hallways and apartments. They're not furnished because at some point it started to feel like I was playing the sims but in slow motion. I think this looks good but I've spent hours on this now in LDD and I think I've lost perspective. Thoughts?

Ok, that post made me prepare another image dump. I really like your house.

Built an RC buggy and a LEGO version of the house I grew up in. Once again, I chose a limited color palette sure to be readily available.

Click here for the full 1280x831 image.

And the buggy. I enjoyed futzing around trying to come up with something akin to independent suspension without dedicated technic suspension parts.

Vroom vroom.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.
I was able to find a couple of my old MOCs today and decided I would take some pictures of them. The first one takes its inspiration from what was my favorite Lego set when I was a kid, the Blacktron Renegade:

First the Renegade:

Click here for the full 621x601 image.

And here is what it inspired me to make:

Click here for the full 1280x721 image.

Here is another one of mine, this one inspired by the fearsome GAU-8 Avenger cannon:

I love checking this thread and seeing all the neat stuff people come up with. My love for Lego has reawakened big time, mostly thanks to this thread. I've got a few more of my old spaceships around the house somewhere, I'll be sure to take some pictures for the thread when I find them.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
That using of the building corners to make a sort of bay-thing on the back is a cool idea, is there anything beneath it in yours or the original?

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

Tanith posted:

That using of the building corners to make a sort of bay-thing on the back is a cool idea, is there anything beneath it in yours or the original?

It's really awesome that you asked that, because in the years since I had messed around with my ships I had completely forgotten something!

In the original, the bay was covering a storage area for a small land vehicle that came with the set:

Click here for the full 1176x850 image.

On my ship, the bays are covering a Star Trek-style engine core:

I had completely forgotten this was even there until you asked!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
It was this or work on my research paper. Guess which one I chose.

My favorite part about this is swinging control panel. For some reason, though, LDD goes bonkers when it turns too far. I imagine it's kind of hard to climb inside this thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010
I just rediscovered my legos after they were in years of storage. I have no idea how I got my parents to get me this back in the day.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6285_Black_Seas_Barracuda

I seem to remember they got a knockoff brand with a similar theme but the poo poo never stayed together so they got the real thing.