Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

Can someone tell me what the image was for shadows of the empire in the op? Its not working.

Probably the commissioned artwork of Leia kneeing Prince Xizor in the family jewels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

arioch posted:

Probably the commissioned artwork of Leia kneeing Prince Xizor in the family jewels.

or it could be something creepy from the 'Shadows' graphic novel

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Tensokuu posted:

So I'd like to give the unpopular opinion here: I really enjoyed Force Unleashed 2. It was shorter than it really should have been, and the Vader fight was obnoxiously long, but I had a lot of fun with it. Sure they didn't resolve anything - and it was really tiring hearing Starkiller yell "Juno!" the entire freaking game - but I'd say it was about what I was expecting. gently caress those god drat droids with shields though.

I will say that as someone who always plays Light Side, and for who TFU1/2 was no exception, that the Dark Side ending was SO much superior in this game. I really didn't expect anything other than what happened, but the entire scene was a better overall ending for the game than the ughhh Light Side ending.

For a game where every other tag word was "BOBA FETT" he had all of like a minute of actual time in the game though. I'm honestly not shocked that they canned the third game. My favorite part of the entire game was the extremely close camera angled cinema cuts before the Vader fight. It's how the scene would have been handled in a movie, so I thought it was a nifty idea.

I guess it's almost too much to ask for an awesome new Star Wars game, isn't it? I mean something they put time and effort into that Lucas doesn't just poo poo all over?

As the thread's resident TFU fanboy (have I mentioned lately how much Rahm Kota owns? Cuz he does), I can see you point, but I was mostly disappointed by how they managed to fix none of the flaws of the first game. As much as I love the first game, it had a ton of problems, and they are all still present in the sequel.

Saber combat was boring in the first one, so they took out nearly all the combos and reduce it to just hitting the X button until the baddies die. Enemies who were immune to your powers were always annoying, so they decided to put them in nearly every level! The boss fights were the most tedious part of The Force Unleashed, so what do they do? Give the bosses buckets more health and irritatingly repetitive attack patterns! The floaty jumping make platforming unreliable in the first game, so here's an idea: let's make the ENTIRE FINAL BOSS a platforming section!

Plus, it was short as hell. I guess it's nice to hear the Dark Side ending was better than the lovely Light Side one, but there's no way in gently caress I'm playing through that Vader fight again.

But it's still not the worst Star Wars game I ever played, so that's something.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Let me save you the trouble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7ky2dN6xI

Dark Side Ending.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Tensokuu posted:

Dark Side Ending.

Even Starkiller's spaceship is lame. It's like they welded a station wagon between a pair of chopped-down TIE panels.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Tensokuu posted:

Dark Side Ending.

Thank you, now I can trade this game in without a second thought. I'll think fondly of you when I'm playing Kirby's Epic Yarn :allears:

And you were right. That was way better than the Light Side.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

BonHair posted:

Also level design is pretty much non-existent, what with everything going on in empty space. Of course, this is where the COD style thing becomes difficult. The maps would probably be somewhat repetitive without missions.
It wouldn't need to be empty. XWA started making structures you could fly inside - space stations, death stars. If they wanted more environmental features, there's no reason they couldn't have space station maps, asteroid field maps, maps set in ship graveyards or other space industries. Or you could just cram the whole thing with convoys of cargo containers and bulk freighters and other ships that aren't active threats. I remember a lot of missions involving scanning ten million ships while a bunch of enemies chased you and they didn't seem like empty space at all.

There are a few space shooters still but the ones I know of are free. Allegiance looked fantastic but seems pretty hard on first examination. Eternal Silence 2 looks a bit easier but I've heard some of the balance is off. I haven't played either so I'm not really sure.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Darth Maul raping a pizza delivery girl. I didn't even know what fanfiction was, let alone erotic rape poo poo. I don't even know how I stumbled upon it.

I may have read that one... at a time when I didn't know what I was looking at either. Did he regenerate from being cut in half (due to his "healing factor" :razz:) and then use a mind trick to get his victim to do all the work while he stood there scheming unrelated evil schemes with his robes down?

Because that one was hosed up.

In discovering what this fan fiction business was, teenage me also found this ridiculous shared universe that could best be summed up by that Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon pretty flowers portrait. Maul lived in like the Star Wars version of the apartment from Rent. Obi-Wan was his neighbor who he hated but couldn't help sleeping with in some "hilarious" 100-installment running joke. And Maul was always all "No homo, it's all on the DL amirite" about it while making fun of Palpatine for being "an old queen."

Yeah.

Yet more evidence that Star Wars somehow must have done hosed up the development of teenage me. There's no way it couldn't have.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 13, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
And yet it sounds more entertaining than the plot of The Phantom Menace.

forgotten image
Jan 16, 2008

If you're going to secretly goonfuck, going to the worst pubbie guild in the galaxy isn't the brightest idea. :byewhore:

Angry Midwesterner posted:

I may have read that one... at a time when I didn't know what I was looking at either. Did he regenerate from being cut in half (due to his "healing factor" :razz:) and then use a mind trick to get his victim to do all the work while he stood there scheming unrelated evil schemes with his robes down?

Because that one was hosed up.

In discovering what this fan fiction business was, teenage me also found this ridiculous shared universe that could best be summed up by that Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon pretty flowers portrait. Maul lived in like the Star Wars version of the apartment from Rent. Obi-Wan was his neighbor who he hated but couldn't help sleeping with in some hilarious 100-installment running joke. And Maul was always all "No homo, it's all on the DL amirite" about it while making fun of Palpatine for being "an old queen."

Yeah.

Yet more evidence that Star Wars somehow must have done hosed up the development of teenage me. There's no way it couldn't have.

It was immensely entertaining. It actually made TPM make more sense. Its a bit dated now but still funny as hell.

https://www.siubhan.com/sithacademy/

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

Crowetron posted:

As the thread's resident TFU fanboy (have I mentioned lately how much Rahm Kota owns? Cuz he does)

...he does? I thought his VA did a laughable job on this one. He sounds like he has some kind of weird speech impediment where he pronounces "er" sounds like "ew," Like that one part where you're aboard The Salvation: "Clear the deck, Starkillew!"

Other gems of note, speaking of bad voice acting/bad dialogue:

Starkiller explains his crazy plan of ramming the Salvation into Kamino's planetary shield

Rahm Kota: ABANDON SHIP! ABANDON SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIP

*beat*

Rahm Kota: Are you sure about this?

and

Arrrgghhhthebridgeisout, general!

quote:

Saber combat was boring in the first one, so they took out nearly all the combos and reduce it to just hitting the X button until the baddies die.

I didn't mind saber combat, but trying to get a gold medal on Trial 1 (the combo one) has ruined the lightsaber for me forever.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

T-1000 posted:

It wouldn't need to be empty. XWA started making structures you could fly inside - space stations, death stars. If they wanted more environmental features, there's no reason they couldn't have space station maps, asteroid field maps, maps set in ship graveyards or other space industries. Or you could just cram the whole thing with convoys of cargo containers and bulk freighters and other ships that aren't active threats. I remember a lot of missions involving scanning ten million ships while a bunch of enemies chased you and they didn't seem like empty space at all.

There are a few space shooters still but the ones I know of are free. Allegiance looked fantastic but seems pretty hard on first examination. Eternal Silence 2 looks a bit easier but I've heard some of the balance is off. I haven't played either so I'm not really sure.
You could also fly in a planet's atmosphere.

Angry Midwesterner posted:

I don't recall, this was probably 10 years ago.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TwoSheds posted:

...he does? I thought his VA did a laughable job on this one. He sounds like he has some kind of weird speech impediment where he pronounces "er" sounds like "ew," Like that one part where you're aboard The Salvation: "Clear the deck, Starkillew!"

Other gems of note, speaking of bad voice acting/bad dialogue:

Starkiller explains his crazy plan of ramming the Salvation into Kamino's planetary shield

Rahm Kota: ABANDON SHIP! ABANDON SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIP

*beat*

Rahm Kota: Are you sure about this?

and

Arrrgghhhthebridgeisout, general!

I didn't mind saber combat, but trying to get a gold medal on Trial 1 (the combo one) has ruined the lightsaber for me forever.

Rahm owns because in the first game, when Starkiller questions pulling a goddamn Star Destroyer out of orbit, he basically calls you a pussy and tells you to just loving do it.

He's also the only Jedi I've ever seen fight off Stormtroopers while stumbling around drunk and blind. :colbert:

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Crowetron posted:

He's also the only Jedi I've ever seen fight off Stormtroopers while stumbling around drunk and blind. :colbert:

That's not really an accomplishment. I'm pretty sure a non-jedi drunken blind man could take at least a few stormtroopers down before passing out in a booze-induced stupor. Even those goddamn teddy bears (with the assistance of a ragtag band of poorly-equipped rebels) took out a legion of the Emperor's best troops.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TwoSheds posted:

That's not really an accomplishment. I'm pretty sure a non-jedi drunken blind man could take at least a few stormtroopers down before passing out in a booze-induced stupor. Even those goddamn teddy bears (with the assistance of a ragtag band of poorly-equipped rebels) took out a legion of the Emperor's best troops.

That's a good point. Poor Stormtoopers :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Crowetron posted:

That's a good point. Poor Stormtoopers :(

It wasn't the 501st on Endor, it was the 105th Washouts. The Emperor is pretty dyslexic with numbers and nobody has the balls to correct the man.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

SeanBeansShako posted:

It wasn't the 501st on Endor, it was the 105th Washouts. The Emperor is pretty dyslexic with numbers and nobody has the balls to correct the man.

Aren't they the ones that are equipped with the experimental Styrofoam armor?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Stormtroopers are only really competent at blowing away unarmed farmers. The elite ones are just mediocre soldiers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anybody else find those guys who run around dressed as stormtroopers in real life kind of creepy? Not just because they're so obsessed with a movie but they're so obsessed with the BAD GUYS from a movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

muscles like this? posted:

Anybody else find those guys who run around dressed as stormtroopers in real life kind of creepy? Not just because they're so obsessed with a movie but they're so obsessed with the BAD GUYS from a movie.

The 501st? Normally, yeah (they're also huge Traviss fans), but they do a lot of charity stuff and hospital visits for sick kids. They can't be that bad.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
It's not so much that they were bad guys, it's that they had essentially the coolest costumes. Jedis dressed like hobos, the Emperor was never really seen, and Vader was 7 loving feet tall. Stormtroopers were cool, sleek, and immediately recognizable.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

I can't see how it's creepy at all. Nerdy as gently caress yeah, but not creepy.

It's not like they dress up and worship Villains that are in any way believable.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
TFU is suppose to be cannon right? I like how Leia has met someone who has defeated both the Emperor and Vader (twice) pretty easily yet doesn't really mention this in the movies at all.

Oh yea luke, I met this kid a few years ago, took down Vader without any help. What's the problem pussy?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Somebody has not seen the light of Stormtrooper Presley:

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

TLG James posted:

TFU is suppose to be cannon right? I like how Leia has met someone who has defeated both the Emperor and Vader (twice) pretty easily yet doesn't really mention this in the movies at all.

Oh yea luke, I met this kid a few years ago, took down Vader without any help. What's the problem pussy?

I like how Vader begins the experimental Jedi cloning process on his apprentice, and not, say, HIMSELF, the (formerly) most potentially-powerful force user of all time. If his end goal is to overthrow the Emperor, it strikes me as a somewhat bad idea to want to clone someone who was pretty easily killed by him

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.
Why is it that we see "stun mode" on blasters in the beginning of ANH (when they capture Leia), and never again?

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

TorpedoFish posted:

Why is it that we see "stun mode" on blasters in the beginning of ANH (when they capture Leia), and never again?

I'm guessing because they shot to kill every time after that.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

TorpedoFish posted:

They've used it a couple of times on the Clone Wars TV show, and it's made my inner geek happy every time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TorpedoFish posted:

They use it in the books.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So is there going to be another thread(or is there and I'm overlooking it) for when the new RLM review comes out? Why the gently caress was the other one closed? Were people getting too butthurt over being made fun of for liking poo poo prequels?

TorpedoFish posted:

They almost used them in ESB. Vader tells them to prepare the boarding party and set the weapons for stun. I'd say that counts for half a point anyways.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 14, 2010

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So apparently, LucasArts just shunted The Old Republic off to EA:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea...nk=MW_news_stmp

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

No no no no no NO

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

No no no no no NO

So... why is this bad? Seriously, I have no idea what the implications of this are.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

TwoSheds posted:

So... why is this bad? Seriously, I have no idea what the implications of this are.

EA aren't known for running MMO's well.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

TwoSheds posted:

I don't know either. LucasArts seems to be a poo poo company to begin with so I don't see how EA can make things worse, especially since EA isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. Activision is the new EA, and new EA is just that company that let's Bioware do amazing things.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Dave Syndrome posted:

They've used it a couple of times on the Clone Wars TV show, and it's made my inner geek happy every time.
Awesome - disc 1 of series 1 is next in my Netflix queue and I plan on working through the whole thing thus far. Do they have the same blue circles effect? Because that's the way science fiction should look.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

TorpedoFish posted:

Awesome - disc 1 of series 1 is next in my Netflix queue and I plan on working through the whole thing thus far. Do they have the same blue circles effect? Because that's the way science fiction should look.

Yes they do. Dave Filoni (who basically runs the show) has an obvious hard-on for the OT and isn't above arguing with Jorge about it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

An artist who was working on it says they've blown more money than Avatar cost on it, are completely afraid of not making the ship date, everything is a mess except the sound which comprises 20 gigs and they're very proud of it despite everything else being a complete loving mess. Really I want it to burn to the ground so they'll not try something retarded like this again.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Casimir Radon posted:

An artist who was working on it says they've blown more money than Avatar cost on it, are completely afraid of not making the ship date, everything is a mess except the sound which comprises 20 gigs and they're very proud of it despite everything else being a complete loving mess. Really I want it to burn to the ground so they'll not try something retarded like this again.

20 gigs of sound?! Jesus Christ, what the hell do they have recorded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NeonTurtle posted:

20 gigs of sound?! Jesus Christ, what the hell do they have recorded?

They are balls to the wall commited to giving a single player RPG quality plot and voice acted story to a MMO.