Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
might it be useful to put "buying my first guitar" questions in a larger gear recommendation thread? It seems like at least half the questions in this one are about purchasing a guitar rather than playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma

CalvinDooglas posted:

might it be useful to put "buying my first guitar" questions in a larger gear recommendation thread? It seems like at least half the questions in this one are about purchasing a guitar rather than playing it.

Ever read the bass thread?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

baka kaba posted:

Also it might help to take your fretting finger off the string as soon as you sound the harmonic, so it can ring out cleanly

Um, does this actually work? Shouldn't it change the note when you change the length of the vibrating string?

quote:

Part of me wants this to happen, another part feels that this thread will see no action if you cut out the gear discussion.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

HappyHippo posted:

Um, does this actually work? Shouldn't it change the note when you change the length of the vibrating string?

Sorry, I meant the finger fretting the harmonic, not the one actually holding the string down

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm a newbie to guitar and I'm having great fun. I want to play some songs that I enjoy (rather than Skip to My Lou, Jamaica Farewell, etc.). Ultimate-Guitar.com seems a little hit and miss and I enjoyed reading from my brother's Complete Beatles Tablature book, so am I better off buying tab book of an album I want to play more, or that is easier to play?

Scar Trek
Mar 6, 2002

I was here before this cliché crap and I'll be here long after it's cold and raped and dead in the ground.

radbeard posted:

Just wanted to plug some video guitar lessons that have helped me immensely.
http://www.guitarjamz.com is offering a 3 day free trial to all their video lessons. (about 700) Marty Schwartz is the guys name and he makes his lessons fun and sometimes hilarious. He also posts alot of free lessons on youtube. I feel like I owe this guy a huge thank you, so check it out if you haven't already.

Man. I picked up my first electric yesterday afternoon. I used to have an old acoustic a few years back that I tooled around on for a couple of weeks but being a metalhead, the inspiration just wasn't there and I sucked badly.

Anyway, I accidentally found Marty's youtube channel and you were right, the guy's awesome for beginners. Literally taking you step by step visually through it is invaluable. By the end of last night I'd nailed the intro and bridge to One thanks to his instruction, and it's been a gently caress of a confidence booster for a first-day victory.

Before we both start to sound like advertising shills, I'm really not sure if his premium membership is worth it, $30 a month is kinda steep for purely video but I'm gonna give the free trial a whirl and see.

Legato
Jul 7, 2004

Un cave troll espectacular!
I have a guitar setup question.

I've recently started playing again. When I was in high school and jammed with a few of my buddies in our parents' garages and closets, I picked up a pretty respectable guitar. It's a Schecter C-1 Plus. Kept good care of it, and it is still in practically new condition.

However, it was also sitting in the house unplayed for several years. After taking it out of the case and tuning it back up (it was almost an octave flat) it seems to play fairly well. However, I know it needs new strings after sitting around for so long, so I ordered some EB Power Slinkies, so a bit thicker gauge than the guitar is currently equipped with.

The crux of my issue is that I've noticed the G string losing its pitch somewhat rapidly. After tuning the rest of my strings seem to stay in pitch, but the G falls flat after a bit of light play. I took a look at the bridge, which apparently is a TonePros style, and I couldn't make much of it. Should I take it in to a shop to get looked at/adjusted? Especially since I'm going to a thicker gauge, which I've read may require adjustment of the bridge and even the truss rod? And if so, would Guitar Center be good enough? It seems fairly simple but I'm unsure how to adjust the bridge, especially with the string-through-body style of the guitar.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
New strings go out of tune as they stretch. Pull on the strings at the 12th fret. Tune back up. Keep doing that until they no longer go out of tune.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Also when you make tuning adjustments it helps to bend the string a bit at the 1st or 2nd fret, in case it's catching in the nut. If it's trapped you'll have more tension on one side than the other, and as it works itself out the string's pitch will change

The Will posted:

I'm a newbie to guitar and I'm having great fun. I want to play some songs that I enjoy (rather than Skip to My Lou, Jamaica Farewell, etc.). Ultimate-Guitar.com seems a little hit and miss and I enjoyed reading from my brother's Complete Beatles Tablature book, so am I better off buying tab book of an album I want to play more, or that is easier to play?

I think generally tab books are a lot better than what you'll find on the internet, just because you know the transcriber was actually worth paying. That said the quality can vary and some have had a lot more care put into them than others.

I started off learning from tab books and it's definitely a good way to get making the noises you want to make, but try not to rely on tabs if you can - they become a crutch, especially as you move up to more complicated music. Have a go at listening to songs you like and trying to work out the melodies on your guitar, and when you've learned some chords try and apply them to songs, see if you can work them out. I'm not saying don't use tabs at all, just don't rely on them for all your music learnin'. Start developing your ear now and you'll be really glad of it later!

Rothgil
May 12, 2008
Living on an island in the caribbean limits my online instrument purchases so I had to go deal hunting. Got me a Squier Affinity strat and a Roland Microcube. Should be enough to learn on.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Recently picked up a Schecter S1 guitar. I love it and I'm having a blast using it for learning classic rock covers, blues, and jazz standards. It has two humbuckers, and you can lift up the tone knob to "split" the humbuckers so they act as single-coil. Gives it a pretty good single-coil sound.

The problem is when I split the humbuckers, I get a ton of buzz. Of course I expect some buzz but it's really loud. My amp is grounded I assume, three prong power cord into the wall. Is it just ambient EMF causing the problem? Anything I can do to clean it up (aside from pushing the knob back in)?

Also, I've noticed that the volume knob for the front pickup is a little scratchy. Could internal wiring be causing both problems?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I have a question. Or a problem. Whatever

I play a lot of power chords. A lot. Tons. In fact, that's pretty much all I play

Anyway, when I go to play something with the root on the fifth string, and I'm strumming fast, I have a tendency to skip over the fifth string. What's something I could do to fix that, either technique-wise or just "hey slow down rear end in a top hat"

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010

Dickeye posted:

Anyway, when I go to play something with the root on the fifth string, and I'm strumming fast, I have a tendency to skip over the fifth string. What's something I could do to fix that, either technique-wise or just "hey slow down rear end in a top hat"

Learn how to do barre chords well. Do exercises where you just put your index finger all the way across all the strings of the guitar and try to get it where there is no ringing. Your index finger will get stronger. Also play the chords slowly and focus on pushing down on the fifth string.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's not fretting that's the problem, it's strumming. I have a tendency to, every third or fourth time, not strum the fifth string, and just play the fourth and third.

I've actually gotten pretty good at switching between chords, especially because I really only use them in the same three combinations (Usually ADE, or DAG, or GCD. If a song is really wild, it might have like an F# in the prechorus). Thanks punk music!

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I feel pretty embarrassed to showcase my huge, huge love of pop, but I have some easy songs that could be added to the OP for other pop fans like myself. :)

- All Together Now - The Beatles
- Norwegian Wood - The Beatles
- I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance with You - Black Kids
- Listen to Your Body Tonight - Black Kids
- Simple and Clean - Hikaru Utada
- Alejandro - Lady Gaga
- Dirty Ice Cream - Lady Gaga
- Monster - Lady Gaga
- Telephone - Lady Gaga
- One More Night - Stars
- Love Story - Taylor Swift
- You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift

I'm thinking of asking my instructor to let me show him pop songs I've picked up on my own, since he's really drilling chord changes and showing me this finger-picking style on my right hand. I don't think I'm ready to play a song by finger-picking at all, but I seem to do pretty well when I'm strumming quickly with a pick.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Dickeye posted:

It's not fretting that's the problem, it's strumming. I have a tendency to, every third or fourth time, not strum the fifth string, and just play the fourth and third.

I've actually gotten pretty good at switching between chords, especially because I really only use them in the same three combinations (Usually ADE, or DAG, or GCD. If a song is really wild, it might have like an F# in the prechorus). Thanks punk music!

Practice it slow enough that you can do it perfectly. I had a similar issue, but it sorted itself out pretty quickly.

quote:

I'm thinking of asking my instructor to let me show him pop songs I've picked up on my own, since he's really drilling chord changes and showing me this finger-picking style on my right hand. I don't think I'm ready to play a song by finger-picking at all, but I seem to do pretty well when I'm strumming quickly with a pick.

If you want to fingerpick, you gotta start sometime. I started fingerpicking as soon as I started playing guitar. You just have to practice it a bit and you'll have it down soon.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Dickeye posted:

You could try raking the strings - where you drag the pick over them so they sound individually, instead of basically hitting them all at the same time. Then just practice your attack slowly, making sure you hit them all, and you can speed up the raking (getting closer to a normal strum) as your aim improves. If it's obvious to you when you miss you could forget the raking and just work on your aim.

The other approach is to say gently caress it and hit more strings than you need, and just mute the strings you don't want sounding. Muting's a technique you should learn anyway (and everyone hits the wrong string sometimes), and you can work on your aim so it's not a crutch too. Try extending a fretting finger (usually your first) so it touches the 6th string and mutes it while you're holding the chord, or use your thumb if you hook that over (or learn both). You'll still get some impact noise (and try to avoid harmonics unless you want them!) but it works great for rockin'

((((((((((((

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

baka kaba posted:

You could try raking the strings - where you drag the pick over them so they sound individually, instead of basically hitting them all at the same time. Then just practice your attack slowly, making sure you hit them all, and you can speed up the raking (getting closer to a normal strum) as your aim improves. If it's obvious to you when you miss you could forget the raking and just work on your aim.

The other approach is to say gently caress it and hit more strings than you need, and just mute the strings you don't want sounding. Muting's a technique you should learn anyway (and everyone hits the wrong string sometimes), and you can work on your aim so it's not a crutch too. Try extending a fretting finger (usually your first) so it touches the 6th string and mutes it while you're holding the chord, or use your thumb if you hook that over (or learn both). You'll still get some impact noise (and try to avoid harmonics unless you want them!) but it works great for rockin'

((((((((((((

Gonna try all dis' poo poo

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I read your post wrong. The raking thing is good advice. Do it for all the chords in a song (just playing the top 4 strings in a chord in rhythm), and to a metronome, and knock out practicing timing at the same time!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'll tell you what else as well, a lot of power chords (especially in metal) are actually just the two strings, root and fifth - practice those too, there's something about the compact feel of them that makes it easier to hit both strings. And practice upstrokes while you're at it, I definitely have more trouble with those because I never focused on learning them properly

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

baka kaba posted:

I'll tell you what else as well, a lot of power chords (especially in metal) are actually just the two strings, root and fifth - practice those too, there's something about the compact feel of them that makes it easier to hit both strings. And practice upstrokes while you're at it, I definitely have more trouble with those because I never focused on learning them properly

In punk you usually play the octave, too, and no upstrokes

Honestly, there's part of me that's like "dude you should really learn to do *thing*" and the rest of me goes "I will literally never use it. gently caress that. Punk as a motherfucker"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Dickeye posted:

In punk you usually play the octave, too, and no upstrokes

Honestly, there's part of me that's like "dude you should really learn to do *thing*" and the rest of me goes "I will literally never use it. gently caress that. Punk as a motherfucker"

Yeah but that's why I'm saying it's good to learn now - if you neglect the upstrokes you'll find it hard to do fast rhythmic things inbetween the downstrokes, and doing the two-string power chords will make sure you're hitting the root too. You don't have to do this stuff exclusively, just work it into your practice routine

EDIT: actually weren't you learning Dammit? That has upstrokes all the way through it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0AelxR4qh4

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That Guitarjamz site is pretty good. In under 30 mins he has you doing the three easiest chords ever, and strumming them into a nice melody. I wish I had something like that when I started a year ago. I think I spent something like 2 weeks just learning C, D, G without any actual melody out of random book #456.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just want to make sure that I read the OP right. Would something like a POD be a good replacement for a cheap amp? I have a behringer practice amp that I got in a bundle with my first guitar ever, and I have been noticing that it tends to buzz louder than I play when practicing. And that is really annoying. A POD is really tempting, since I can just play it through headphones no problem, and my guitar teacher has amps that we use when I have lessons. It is to the point where I would rather play without an amp than with my practice amp, because I can hear what I am doing better with a non-amplified electric than with my amp.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but that's why I'm saying it's good to learn now - if you neglect the upstrokes you'll find it hard to do fast rhythmic things inbetween the downstrokes, and doing the two-string power chords will make sure you're hitting the root too. You don't have to do this stuff exclusively, just work it into your practice routine

EDIT: actually weren't you learning Dammit? That has upstrokes all the way through it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0AelxR4qh4

I was

Then I realized Blink182 was too high-brow for me, and I started learning songs that only use D C and G

And they all start by playing the D a million times

Anyway, yeah I'm definitely gonna work some of this stuff in. Upstrokes are just ridiculously hard for me for some reason. They gently caress my rhythm sideways

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Dickeye posted:

I was

Then I realized Blink182 was too high-brow for me, and I started learning songs that only use D C and G

And they all start by playing the D a million times

Anyway, yeah I'm definitely gonna work some of this stuff in. Upstrokes are just ridiculously hard for me for some reason. They gently caress my rhythm sideways

Sadly I think playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band for a billion hours trained me to play upstrums perfectly on rhythm :kiddo:

crm
Oct 24, 2004

If I played the piano for years and want to get into guitar, is it better to start with acoustic or electric? I figure I'll also have some lessons, that seemed to work with the piano ;)

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

crm posted:

If I played the piano for years and want to get into guitar, is it better to start with acoustic or electric? I figure I'll also have some lessons, that seemed to work with the piano ;)

Basically it boils down to "what kind of music do you want to play?"

Personally I generally recommend people start with an acoustic for several reasons:

1) It's slightly harder to fret, meaning if you graduate to electric it'll be easier to play.

2) It's easier to identify mistakes (in my opinion) on the sound from an acoustic than an electric, but at the same time notes rarely ring as long, so it's slightly more forgiving.

3) It's mobile, meaning you can take it places and make chicks swoon.

But if you only want to shred metal or hard rock, there's no point in buying an acoustic because you won't be happy with your own sound. You want to play the instrument for the music you want to play, or you'll get bored/frustrated and quit, or regret your decision.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just want to make sure that I read the OP right. Would something like a POD be a good replacement for a cheap amp?

Pods are hands-down the best value you can get for the price in all guitar-related hardware.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

Basically it boils down to "what kind of music do you want to play?"

Personally I generally recommend people start with an acoustic for several reasons:

1) It's slightly harder to fret, meaning if you graduate to electric it'll be easier to play.

2) It's easier to identify mistakes (in my opinion) on the sound from an acoustic than an electric, but at the same time notes rarely ring as long, so it's slightly more forgiving.

3) It's mobile, meaning you can take it places and make chicks swoon.

But if you only want to shred metal or hard rock, there's no point in buying an acoustic because you won't be happy with your own sound. You want to play the instrument for the music you want to play, or you'll get bored/frustrated and quit, or regret your decision.

I spent most of my piano days doing classical and blues, and my ipod is filled with hard rock. It's quite confusing.

But yeah, I'm thinking acoustic. What's a decent price to pay for lessons?

These guys http://guitarworkshopcharlotte.com/ charge $25 for a half hour.

Also, what store should I go to for guitar shopping at? I've got a Guitar Center on my drive home and a Sam Ash on the other side of town.

crm fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 15, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kaboobi posted:

Sadly I think playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band for a billion hours trained me to play upstrums perfectly on rhythm :kiddo:

For whatever reason, I literally cannot get the upstrokes. They don't even feel right.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm the same way with the upstrokes. I think it might have to do with the angle I hold the pick. It seems like I either hold it too hard and can't strum smoothly, or I hold it too loose and it spins around in my fingers and I end up not having anything to strum with. It isn't quite as bad when I play standing up or slide the guitar out as far as I can when I sit down.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I don't even use a pick, I just flail wildly around with an empty hand, eventually resorting to just punching the strings

Am I doing it right?

radbeard
Oct 22, 2010

Dickeye posted:

I don't even use a pick, I just flail wildly around with an empty hand, eventually resorting to just punching the strings

Am I doing it right?

Sure, It works for George Thorogood!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey here's a question

Where can I get a hardshell case for my Squier Strat for not a million bucks

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Not really new to guitar, just trying to get back into it. Now, I can only play with headphones and have no amp.

Since my sound card is not terribly great, I though about getting this device: http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ucg102.htm

In combination with GuitarRig or something similar.

Terrible idea or would it work? All I care about is an ok sound and no latency.

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010
If this computer runs on Windows (even moreso on W7 than XP), you're going to have to jump through a lot of hoops to get your computer to record or playback the guitar without much latency. I'm happy with Windows for just about every reason, but recording on it is frustrating.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Selavi posted:

If this computer runs on Windows (even moreso on W7 than XP), you're going to have to jump through a lot of hoops to get your computer to record or playback the guitar without much latency. I'm happy with Windows for just about every reason, but recording on it is frustrating.

Why is that? Also, would buying a cheap preamp be a better option?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Anecdotally, my son's running an old GuitarPort on a single-core Athlon that's 4+ years old, and if there's any audible lag I'm not able to pick up on it. Win7, on-board audio, 1 gig of RAM, nothing special at all. We can play right side by side, me on rhythm through an amp and him on lead through the computer (using the Line6 software, effects and all) and saying in sync has never been an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've just started a free trial of jamplay.com and really liked the lessons they have. I'm thinking about dumping out my coin jar and using it to buy a year's subscription.

Is this a bad idea for any reason? Are there other sites I should be looking at instead?