Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I hear 'Ridiculous' as 'Ticklish' when they fade it and thus RZA's segment on track 7 becomes hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Another Good Friday track :psyduck:

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Anal Volcano posted:

One of the best so far

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Anal Volcano posted:

I was confused at first but then I remembered his album isn't actually out and everyone is just listening to the leaked version.

Krysis
Aug 26, 2007

Hex Hates U

YEAH YOU
This album has exceeded all of my expectations and then some. Preordering the Deluxe Edition off of iTunes today.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
I wonder if Mama's Boyfriend is going to be released as a G.O.O.D Friday track since it didn't make the final MBDTF track list.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

g-c posted:

I wonder if Mama's Boyfriend is going to be released as a G.O.O.D Friday track since it didn't make the final MBDTF track list.

when is Bittersweet going to be on an album?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Wasn't it a Graduation bonus track?

also who cares

Edit: Yeah, Japanese Graduation release.

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!

Krysis posted:

This album has exceeded all of my expectations and then some. Preordering the Deluxe Edition off of iTunes today.

Ditto this statement. I'll also be picking up a physical copy from Best Buy.

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

i could not get thru september w/o a battle
So Blame Game samples Avril 14th by Aphex Twin. huh.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Oh Mister B posted:

So Blame Game samples Avril 14th by Aphex Twin. huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFXJw7n-fU

The great thing about Kanye is that he's willing to sample everything.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Like the ending of the album?

Check out the original. Brilliant use by Kanye.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.

g-c posted:

I really hope so. Also I hope he just keeps doing the Good Friday thing even after the album.

edit: Btw, this god drat album. :holy:
I loved the ending, but drat did the album end too quickly for me. I just want more of thisss.

another edit: I wanted to address this because I didn't see anyone else reply.

Ebjan posted:

Did people really say Kanye was racist after what happened at the VMA's? I didn't see it at all as something racial.
Besides the whole "George Bush doesn't care..." ordeal, the big thing in general right now in this country is to call non-whites racist as a pre-emptive defense when they say anything about whites. It's pretty disgusting.

Bubble Bathory fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 14, 2010

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
He said he's gonna do G.O.O.D. Fridays until Christmas which is so ridiculous. Dude is producing quality stuff at an outrageous rate right now. So five or six more?

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Ebjan posted:

Did people really say Kanye was racist after what happened at the VMA's?
personally, i see his motives to be race-related; he went crazy at Justice at the European VMAs years back, and then Taylor Swift. And Bush before either of those two. I've yet to see him so outrageously speak his mind against a non-white celebrity or award winner.

I've listened to every Kanye album except 808s and Heartbreaks.
That would be "College Dropout","Late Registration","Graduation",and "My Dark Twisted Fantasy".

The album that I like the most? Graduation.

I've been listening and buying hip hop albums since 1985. I think Kanye is a mediocre rapper at best, and his beats run from mediocre to sometimes awesome.

I like the beats for "Power" and "So Appalled" or whatever it's called.
Even though Kanye's verses aren't mind blowing to me, I think he made his tracks even worse by throwing Rick Ross verses on that aren't even in the same theme of the songs he's putting out.

Rap is ridiculous.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

cardedagain posted:

personally, i see his motives to be race-related; he went crazy at Justice at the European VMAs years back, and then Taylor Swift. And Bush before either of those two. I've yet to see him so outrageously speak his mind against a non-white celebrity or award winner.

I mean Bush was obviously race related but that was just a very emotional outcry that echoed the sentiments of the black community at the time. Otherwise I don't see the Taylor Swift or Justice things as race related but rather his own arrogance. He always lists "the last 5 album of the year winners", stating that some are black but none deserved the award... well all of them were up against him, or someone he's rather closely affiliated with. Kanye West isn't a racist, he just has strong opinions about "injustice" which can be misinterpreted.

cardedagain posted:

Even though Kanye's verses aren't mind blowing to me, I think he made his tracks even worse by throwing Rick Ross verses on that aren't even in the same theme of the songs he's putting out.

There was only one Rick Ross verse on the album, and it fit the sound and experience of DIAND excellently. If you count the Monster intro, that's also pretty fitting. Rick Ross isn't a good lyricist but he's very theatrical and fits a specific mood.

e: Also am I the only one who really dislikes Chain Heavy? The beat really isn't consistent with the vibe or subject matter of the song, even if all 4 verses are great.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 14, 2010

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Brett824 posted:

There was only one Rick Ross verse on the album, and it fit the sound and experience of DIAND excellently. If you count the Monster intro, that's also pretty fitting. Rick Ross isn't a good lyricist but he's very theatrical and fits a specific mood.

e: Also am I the only one who really dislikes Chain Heavy? The beat really isn't consistent with the vibe or subject matter of the song, even if all 4 verses are great.

I wasn't feeling chain heavy either, also Rick Ross kicks off "Monster" does he not?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Bonye West posted:

I wasn't feeling chain heavy either, also Rick Ross kicks off "Monster" does he not?

It's a 4 bar intro.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Brett824 posted:

It's a 4 bar intro.

Semantics! Even his intro was relevant to the song.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

From what I've heard, this album will be beyond amazing. The more I think about it, the more the Runaway video comes across as a brilliant stroke of genius. Kanye said he made that gargantuan video so that each track, even those that wouldn't become singles, would have some sort of visual identity. And it really works -- listening through conjures up all sorts of images calling back to that video.

If Watch the Throne and the Child Rebel Soldier LP come out in a timely manner and are as good as they could be, Kanye will cement (without hyperbole) his status of one of hip-hop's greatest visionaries

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

I am another "doesn't know that much about rap / hip hop" person who things this album is basically awesome.

I mostly like the narrative and the balls out aural opulence of it. Which, to me, go hand in hand. So there are certainly places where things seem to go on that bit too long, but I can easily forgive them because I feel the album has a commentary on the limits of excess as a central theme.

I've listened to the rest of Kanye's stuff, and much like someone earlier in the thread, this is the first time I've not skipped a track, even after repeated listens. Hell, it got repeated listens rather than just getting the good tracks taken cherry picked.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I'm not understanding people saying it's overproduced and whatnot...

I mean I kinda get where people are coming from. This album is loving slick. But saying it's too produced is kinda like going "Terminator had too much action and robots in it" like yeah if you don't like robots and action then fair enough but that's the loving point.

Loving the album. No poo poo tracks really.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

teacup posted:

I'm not understanding people saying it's overproduced and whatnot..

Well, I know I liked Runaway more without the "we gotcha" loop in the background.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Sisgmund posted:

Well, I know I liked Runaway more without the "we gotcha" loop in the background.

I actually like it a lot more I was pleased he included it.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Sisgmund posted:

I think specifically Runaway is probably a wild card in any discussion I've seen, mostly because we've heard so many different versions of it already.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The song with Cudi & Raekwon (Gorgeous) is INCREDIBLE. Kanye West has once again rebuilt hip hop in his own image.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Bonye West posted:

I actually like it a lot more I was pleased he included it.

I've come around to it, but it's a different song, and I'd had the version from the video on repeat while I did some writing. So to hear it with the new loop kinda shook me out of my first listen.

Runaway is one of my favourite tracks from the album, though. So Appalled, Devil in a New Dress, Hell of a Life and Blame Game are the ones I'd say are weaker, but they're still great.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The featured artist list for this album is nuts. Outside of usual partners Jay, Cudi & John Legend the others are all pretty broadly chosen. Nice to see Rick Ross used in a way that isn't straight up ice-rap. He's got a neat schtick but even his gravelly swagger style grates after hearing a few verses about foreign cars. I don't love Fergie, but I think it's pretty funny how much she sounds like Axl Rose some times.

The only thing this really lacks is a Weezy appearance. A Wayne/Kanye/Jay-Z album would be the best thing. Every time any two of them are on a song it explodes (Diamonds / Lollipop Remixes, Barry Bonds, Mr. Carter, Hello Brooklyn 2.0 etc.).

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Sisgmund posted:

I've come around to it, but it's a different song, and I'd had the version from the video on repeat while I did some writing. So to hear it with the new loop kinda shook me out of my first listen.

Runaway is one of my favourite tracks from the album, though. So Appalled, Devil in a New Dress, Hell of a Life and Blame Game are the ones I'd say are weaker, but they're still great.

Music is opinion so it's always interesting to see where people are at, So Appalled and Blame game are two of my favourites on the album actually :) I think Blame Game has the potential to be my favourite song by him yet. I also am really loving Monster more and more, not a fan of Nicki Minaj at all but she tears that song up. Great to see some of the people I rolled my eyes at really upping their game on here and going hard.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.

dolphins are gay posted:

The song with Cudi & Raekwon (Gorgeous) is INCREDIBLE. Kanye West has once again rebuilt hip hop in his own image.

Came back to post this. It's almost mean, it just doesn't loving care. Kanye goes on forever, too, it's great.

Been listening to this album nonstop. It's perfect right now.

This full version of Power seems like a great big monolithic middle finger to ":words: gayfish" and haters in general. It's like my bulletproof-hater-coat anthem.

Bubble Bathory fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 14, 2010

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

It turns out more people are disappointed with Chain Heavy's beat than I had thought. Overnight it seems like 50 different mixes of the original facebook acapellas over different beats have shown up on Youtube. They're all really bad too.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Oh man, I love Hell of a Life. Iron Man :rock:

Please tell me this album is coming out on vinyl somewhere.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Angryhead posted:

Oh man, I love Hell of a Life. Iron Man :rock:

Please tell me this album is coming out on vinyl somewhere.

Graduation never showed up on vinyl IIRC, but it would be a tragedy if this didn't.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

THAT'S THE JOKE.

Brett824 posted:

It turns out more people are disappointed with Chain Heavy's beat than I had thought. Overnight it seems like 50 different mixes of the original facebook acapellas over different beats have shown up on Youtube. They're all really bad too.

Chain Heavy is like my favorite G.O.O.D. Friday track other than the Power remix.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Brett824 posted:

I mean Bush was obviously race related but that was just a very emotional outcry that echoed the sentiments of the black community at the time. Otherwise I don't see the Taylor Swift or Justice things as race related but rather his own arrogance. He always lists "the last 5 album of the year winners", stating that some are black but none deserved the award... well all of them were up against him, or someone he's rather closely affiliated with. Kanye West isn't a racist, he just has strong opinions about "injustice" which can be misinterpreted.

oh, and he went on record to tell Paul McCartney that he felt his album (Graduation?) deserved a Grammy more than Paul's album a few years ago.

First off, caring about Grammies isn't very hip hop; it's more pop nonsense than anything else.

Second off: Paul's white. another white person. Kanye publicly talks poo poo to white people more than any other race. case closed.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

cardedagain posted:

First off, caring about Grammies isn't very hip hop; it's more pop nonsense than anything else.

Caring about Grammies is literally everything Kanye West.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Kanye West oppressing white people is okay in my book.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

cardedagain posted:

oh, and he went on record to tell Paul McCartney that he felt his album (Graduation?) deserved a Grammy more than Paul's album a few years ago.

Second off: Paul's white. another white person. Kanye publicly talks poo poo to white people more than any other race. case closed.

Yeah, but of course he wants his own album to win and of course he's going to say something about it. I really don't see the whole "scary black man harasses whites" aspect to this too much.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Bonye West posted:

Music is opinion so it's always interesting to see where people are at, So Appalled and Blame game are two of my favourites on the album actually :) I think Blame Game has the potential to be my favourite song by him yet. I also am really loving Monster more and more, not a fan of Nicki Minaj at all but she tears that song up. Great to see some of the people I rolled my eyes at really upping their game on here and going hard.

Blame Game and So Appalled are songs that I will probably adore after coming back to the album after not listening to it in its entirety for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

cardedagain posted:

Whoa there white victim, chill.

Kanye cares about the Grammies because he (incorrectly) thinks they should be an accurate representation of the greatest music for a time period. Kanye is all about pop culture and wanting to be a "representation of the people", it's not some weird "not hip hop" vs "hip hop" mentality thing.

• Locked thread