Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

The big deal breaker for me with the Axiom controllers is how the knobs turn in clicking intervals. Controlling something like filter cutoff with a knob like that is lame, and I've started to realize that using a MIDI controller to control parameters like that is very important to get the right sound, at least for me. A more realistic sound, because I can adjust the parameter with realtime feedback. Maybe I just suck at drawing automation curves in Ableton. They should really implement a system like Logic has, at least I think it was Logic, it might of been Pro Tools, where you can put in better curves.

Vector 7 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Can someone explain what divide down synthesis is, or how it works? Amber is based on divide down synthesis, and I'm curious to know what that means exactly. I can program Amber easily enough, but it's important to me to understand the processes that go on "under the hood".

breaks
May 12, 2001

It refers mostly to old string synthesizers that had 12 oscillators, one for each note in the highest octave it could play. For lower notes, there were circuits that would divide the frequency of those 12 main oscillators, producing the same note an octave (or 2 or 3 or...) lower.

A divider circuit is simpler than a full blown oscillator, so using this technique, all notes could be played simultaneously with a relatively small amount of circuitry and therefore a relatively affordable price.

Nowadays "divide down" synths usually emulate the other aspects of these machines too - lush chorus effects and simple, limited synthesis capabilities in line with the original purpose of emulating string sounds. But, those things don't have anything to do with "divide down synthesis" per se.

The Solina String Ensemble is the machine I always think of, and the most famous of those types of instruments anyway. The Novachord is another one that's become fashionable lately with several sample sets released during the past year or two. It's notable because of its age - I think the first ones were made in the late 1930s, obviously making it just a little bit ahead of its time. ;)

breaks fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 9, 2010

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 10, 2017

AJzer
Nov 28, 2004
Tally Ho!

AriTheDog posted:

Since we're talking about the Kaossilator Pro, can anyone comment on it as a live-looping and effects device?

From the video reviews and the hour I had with it, it's set up for live looping and on the fly playback of its programmed samples. For effects, you're stuck with the built in y-axis effect paired with each program (don't think it's reprogrammable), the gate arpeggiator slider, program volume, BPM, key and scale buttons. All of them affect only the program that's live, and can't be applied to an existing loop.

The KP3 is the Korg effects and sampler unit. Paired, they could be fun.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

wacky posted:

Just for the record guys, I have the second gen Axiom 25 (it came out just a few months ago I think) and they fixed the knob clicky thing which prevented me from buying the original (the knobs are now smooth) and it may have fixed some of your other issues with the controller (I like the pads but obviously anyone serious about pads would probably be getting something else anyway).
That's good that they fixed it, I still am surprised they made the original that way. It's just useless like it was.

Thanks for the excellent explanation of divide down synthesis, breaks! You cleared that up for me perfectly.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Can anyone reccomend either a good plugin or a way to get horn sounds in live 8 suite? I can't find any presets. Im looking for mainly trumpet, sax, and maybe even a violin!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Found a bass trap DIY video. Gonna try and get this together - fix my room abit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Found a bass trap DIY video. Gonna try and get this together - fix my room abit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw
That looks pretty sweet, I might do that myself.

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?

AriTheDog posted:

Since we're talking about the Kaossilator Pro, can anyone comment on it as a live-looping and effects device?

Also regarding exotic and not-so-exotic scales, while I see the appeal of the KP as a controller for melody, just get any kind of pad controller (Akai LPD8, Korg NanoPad, etc.) and set the pads to scale values. As mentioned, Ableton has stuff that helps with this.

As an effects device, it's neat, assuming you like the sound of the effects it uses. As a looper, it's meh. You have to be very, very precise with your looping, and there's no way to trim or remove things on the fly with any great ease-- someone may come along and contradict that, but I've found looping on it to be more painful than anything. But it might work with a greater degree of practice than I have given it.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

AJzer posted:

So is this your review, or are you just being a jerk?

Well, I've not used a Kaossilator so can't review. Sorry if I came across as a jerk, I was mainly commenting on the scales you'd brought up - I've only ever learned monophonic instruments and have been going over chords and music theory recently, including scales and keys, and it's helping a lot when I actually piss about in a DAW.

I'm assuming the Kaossilator doesn't have any differences with looping compared to the KP3 and like Wonder Bread says, it's pretty fiddly getting decent samples live - but loading from SD is fine.

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 10, 2017

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

glitchkrieg posted:

Well, I've not used a Kaossilator so can't review. Sorry if I came across as a jerk, I was mainly commenting on the scales you'd brought up - I've only ever learned monophonic instruments and have been going over chords and music theory recently, including scales and keys, and it's helping a lot when I actually piss about in a DAW.

Yeah, thanks for your input. Melee beats and colonp, too. I should really just explore the Scale device in Live, moreso than I have already, before shelling out the cash on an apparently unspectacular synth with a neat 'Gate Arp' function. For the record, I'm in about the same place as AJzer; know the theory, lack the technique to improvise in a few scales.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm trying to get into electronic music for probably the third time now, and I've hit the same wall that I've been hitting before: I don't know where to even start with VSTs. I just twiddle the knobs with absolutely no clue as to what I'm doing and it goes from a decent sounding preset to the sound of a dying cat, and I don't seem to be making progress in actually understanding what I'm doing.

Is there a decent resource for someone who has literally no exposure to synthesizers or their ilk?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Control Volume posted:

I'm trying to get into electronic music for probably the third time now, and I've hit the same wall that I've been hitting before: I don't know where to even start with VSTs. I just twiddle the knobs with absolutely no clue as to what I'm doing and it goes from a decent sounding preset to the sound of a dying cat, and I don't seem to be making progress in actually understanding what I'm doing.

Is there a decent resource for someone who has literally no exposure to synthesizers or their ilk?

Check out this thread. It's a good place to at least get some kind of idea about synths.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Control Volume posted:

This book is a good place to start. It's what I recommend to people just starting out in synthesis.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

AriTheDog posted:

Check out this thread. It's a good place to at least get some kind of idea about synths.

Vector 7 posted:

This book is a good place to start. It's what I recommend to people just starting out in synthesis.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully this time I'll actually be able to do something beyond desperately scrabbling around for decent samples. :v:

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010
Dnb track i'm working on, gotta change a few things but i'm pretty happy.

http://soundcloud.com/horrido/death-in-venice-wip

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Been working on a little choppy electro house. It's vaguely Wolfgang Gartner-esque, I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along! You miiiight recognise the sample ;)

Please let me know what you think!

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Still looking for some plugins for natural horn sounds. Anyone?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Hope you have a big wallet

http://www.eastwestsamples.com/

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I use Kontakt for stuff like that. It's great, I really recommend it.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I've figured out that it's very important to put a limiter or compressor after a compressor that is sidechaining, at least to get the kind of sound I want. I use a limiter, but I think a compressor with a limiter like settings works also. It gets rid of the transient like spikes in the signal, or at least controls them.

Kind of common sense, I know, but it's helped me out considerably.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

I called it a "dance" song, but I don't think it's really conducive to dancing. Can someone critique this beginning of a track right here? Specifically in regards to the mixing.

Louis Buchalter
Nov 11, 2010

They call me Lepke
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a program that can pull audio samples from movie files (OSX)?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Xeno posted:

Been working on a little choppy electro house. It's vaguely Wolfgang Gartner-esque, I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along! You miiiight recognise the sample ;)

the vocal sample is terrible, and people quit doing that in the mid 90s.

but the rest of the song is good, maybe mix a duller sound in with the lead to tone it down a litttle, its kind of piercing.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

oredun posted:

the vocal sample is terrible, and people quit doing that in the mid 90s.

What's wrong with it? I ask as a beginner to electronic music.

edit: Setence structure ho!

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 12, 2010

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

Cobweb Heart posted:

I called it a "dance" song, but I don't think it's really conducive to dancing. Can someone critique this beginning of a track right here? Specifically in regards to the mixing.

The mixing here is actually really good im my opinion. Sounds pretty pro to me! How did you achieve this? i.e. what kind of compression did you use, etc

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
toss that vocal sample. in fact, rip it out and set it on fire.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Cobweb Heart posted:

What's wrong with it? I ask as a beginner to electronic music.

It's just not genre appropriate for that track. The people who are down with that sample are off in a forest somewhere, eating whole sheets of acid and listening to Shpongle. On the other hand, the electro house audience is mostly the hipster equivalent of hos and bros getting shitfaced at the club.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Louis Buchalter posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a program that can pull audio samples from movie files (OSX)?

Audio Hijack Pro is absolutely amazing. I think the demo still lets you record 10 minutes or so of audio. I know it works for DVDs, I never tested it on movie files like AVIs. It should let you rip audio from any application, though.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCh7lzNPT6g

Found this, I thought it might help some people out.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Louis Buchalter posted:

I've used a combination of things in the past. Handbrake to get the chapter off of the DVD, then VLC or Quicktime to cut it down and spit out the audio. Actually, I think you can drop most video files right in Ableton, so if you've got that, that's one less step. But I'd still recommend VLC for transcoding/exporting because it's awesome.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
a work in progress liquid drum n bass song, mixing is poo poo, sequencing sucks, feedback is appreciated!

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

^^I don't listen to drum n bass, but it sounds really nicely mixed and sequenced to me. My only suggestion is that the drums with the filter on them in the beginning bass-drop section sound kind of weird. Maybe ease up just a tad on the filter?^^

GbrushTwood posted:

The mixing here is actually really good im my opinion. Sounds pretty pro to me! How did you achieve this? i.e. what kind of compression did you use, etc

Thanks, man! :) I guess I'm actually a pretty rear end musician because my big secret mixing technique is fiddling around with the amplitude of my VSTs until I can pick them all out when they're playing simultaneously. Other than that I just bump things up or down an octave until they're not fighting with anything else for frequency space.

On a different note: Can someone please critique my orchestrated parts in this wip track? Not the terrible transition bit near the end, just the orchestration. I just recently started this sort of thing and could use some tips.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Xeno posted:

The actual words of the sample are cheesy, but I will say I think the sample is mixed and effected well throughout the piece. It all kind of depends on how you want to label this track, electro house and such. Personally, this does sound like a psychedelic sort of track, specifically "progressive psy" (look up Iboga records), which has lots of electro house elements. More than the sample I think that the thin lead thing sounds kind of archaic and boring. However, it's a pretty good track and you should be proud! Give it some time to rest and then take another look.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I whipped this thing up earlier today, it's a fun little house piece. Let me know what y'all think:

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 15, 2010

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Weird kinda electro disco hope you enjoy:

http://soundcloud.com/jmersere/crystallized

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

The Dark Wind posted:

I whipped this thing up earlier today, it's a fun little house piece. Let me know what y'all think:

This is very nice :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louis Buchalter
Nov 11, 2010

They call me Lepke

Mister Speaker posted:

I've used a combination of things in the past. Handbrake to get the chapter off of the DVD, then VLC or Quicktime to cut it down and spit out the audio. Actually, I think you can drop most video files right in Ableton, so if you've got that, that's one less step. But I'd still recommend VLC for transcoding/exporting because it's awesome.

Thanks! Works great.

• Locked thread