Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

HooKars posted:

I think I want to be unemployed again. Being a lawyer sucks.

Posts like this do a great service. While being unemployed sucks, they keep me from taking the LSAT again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm on IBR too and I don't know what I'd do without it. I owe them over $100,000 and Every now and then the DoE sends me a bill for $0.00 and that's that, they don't even bug me with phone calls

the access group on the other hand is a little more passionate about the $50,000 I owe them. Do not borrow private money. There's no need to do it and it's just dumb, borrow federal

I hope the republicans don't notice IBR when they're making budget cuts

I'm confused - doesn't access group only issue federally backed loans?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Defleshed posted:

Did you see that opening at the ABA I posted about a while back come be a lawyer in a really chill environment in Chicago (also get IBR)

I will probably try to stay here for a year, if only for the sheer fact that I have lived in five different states since March of 2009.

The work, honestly, should not be bad but it's like everybody gets together to make it as miserable as possible, with a ton of fake self-imposed deadlines, and there's not even any camaraderie in the suffering - everyone is just kind of a bitch/rear end in a top hat. I'm in the office from 8 am to around 11 pm everyday but I probably only bill 8 - 10 hours so it's not even like there's the benefit of having awesome hours. The rest of the time I just sit and wait, and often times, due to the nature of my practice area, nothing starts happening until 6 pm and then there is a sudden rush where everything must be edited and sent out THAT NIGHT (hence the nothingness again, the next day but of course, you still have to be there).

Sadly, 8 am - 11pm is not enough. My coworker and I were told yesterday we were leaving way too early and to stop asking "Is there anything else we can do?" at the end of the evening (10 pm - 11 pm) when we have nothing to do. Instead, we must now sit in our office, doing nothing, not billing time, until we are affirmatively told we may leave the office in case "something comes up." It's like we have a babysitter. Never mind the fact that we both live within a two minute walk to the office and could hop over if anything ever did come up. No, if one person has to suffer and stay late, the whole team has to wait around for him and suffer as well.

Also, my practice group apparently hates food. I think for every three late nights we have, we get dinner on the client once. Other than that it's pay for it yourself or live off the free pretzels the office has.

Yay for my job.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Feces Starship posted:

I'm confused - doesn't access group only issue federally backed loans?

They had private loans too but they stopped doing them at some point while I was in law school - I switched to federal Grad Plus loans afterwards (which do qualify for IBR and I could and should have been using from the beginning)

presumably because they were never getting their money back for some reason

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
gently caress all you babbies with your federal only loans and IBR bullshit, how can you know the true misery of being a lawyer without the crush of non-dischargeable, $1300 monthly student loan payments hanging over your head and locking you in an alcoholic haze

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

HooKars posted:

I will probably try to stay here for a year, if only for the sheer fact that I have lived in five different states since March of 2009.

The work, honestly, should not be bad but it's like everybody gets together to make it as miserable as possible, with a ton of fake self-imposed deadlines, and there's not even any camaraderie in the suffering - everyone is just kind of a bitch/rear end in a top hat. I'm in the office from 8 am to around 11 pm everyday but I probably only bill 8 - 10 hours so it's not even like there's the benefit of having awesome hours. The rest of the time I just sit and wait, and often times, due to the nature of my practice area, nothing starts happening until 6 pm and then there is a sudden rush where everything must be edited and sent out THAT NIGHT (hence the nothingness again, the next day but of course, you still have to be there).

Sadly, 8 am - 11pm is not enough. My coworker and I were told yesterday we were leaving way too early and to stop asking "Is there anything else we can do?" at the end of the evening (10 pm - 11 pm) when we have nothing to do. Instead, we must now sit in our office, doing nothing, not billing time, until we are affirmatively told we may leave the office in case "something comes up." It's like we have a babysitter. Never mind the fact that we both live within a two minute walk to the office and could hop over if anything ever did come up. No, if one person has to suffer and stay late, the whole team has to wait around for him and suffer as well.

Also, my practice group apparently hates food. I think for every three late nights we have, we get dinner on the client once. Other than that it's pay for it yourself or live off the free pretzels the office has.

Yay for my job.

You have what we old grizzled lawyers call a "bad job."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HooKars posted:

Yay for my job.
Jesus Christ HooKars :smith: I hope you're at least getting paid well

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HooKars posted:

Yay for my job.

Jesus Hook, that sucks. What practice area are you in?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Jesus Christ HooKars :smith: I hope you're at least getting paid well

I wish :( My coworker and I are just staff attorneys so we make $100k, but we're considered "associates" vs. "staff attorneys" to the outside world so hopefully when I get the hell out, I can lateral into a normal paying associate job. Luckily, either due to competence or cuteness, the guy in charge (not even a partner - just of counsel) doesn't hate me and I just get abused hours-wise. My co-worker gets verbally torn into and abused on a daily basis. He totally keeps me sane so I hope he never gets fed up with it and quits even though I probably would if I were him.

CaptainScrap posted:

Jesus Hook, that sucks. What practice area are you in?

It's a small obscure subpractice in the Business & Finance department. I can't believe once upon a time I checked "Litigation" on my preference list and now I'm doing this stuff.

Edit: They're totally hiring mid-levels in my department if anyone wants to join me!

HooKars fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 13, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Ugh, that sucks Hook.

Ok, question for the thread.

My job's likely going to come to an end soon. My boss does PI work and legal malpractice. There are 3 clerks including myself. Two of the clerks do car wrecks. I work the difficult cases, doing mainly legal malpractice.

Well, all of my cases are set to settle next week. We have no new legal malpractice cases in the stable. There are two other legal mal firms in the city.

Would my chances of getting hired elsewhere increase if I had my boss call those other firms for me, especially since this is a niche practice?

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HooKars posted:

Yay for my job.

I'm going to a place where the median temperature is like -30c and I may not be able to get high speed internet. Wanna trade jobs?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

hypocrite lecteur posted:

I'm going to a place where the median temperature is like -30c and I may not be able to get high speed internet. Wanna trade jobs?

Has anyone told you barrow is dry?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

CaptainScraps posted:

Would my chances of getting hired elsewhere increase if I had my boss call those other firms for me, especially since this is a niche practice?

Yes, as long as the other practictioners in your niche don't think your boss is a dipshit.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Depends on if your boss knows those folks. If he has a personal connection, I'm sure it couldn't hurt. If he doesn't know them, just get a recommendation letter.

Also don't sue me for legal malpractice, ever.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
My friend told me she's going do "international law" and is applying to law school next cycle. Can someone post a picture of the international law panda so I can send it to her? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Colorblind Pilot posted:

My friend told me she's going do "international law" and is applying to law school next cycle. Can someone post a picture of the international law panda so I can send it to her? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Don't have this, but this is her 3 years from now.

(Unless she's a URM at Yale, then she should go for it).

Instead, she should do this:
http://careers.state.gov/officer/testinfo.html

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Only registered members can see post attachments!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Depends on if your boss knows those folks. If he has a personal connection, I'm sure it couldn't hurt. If he doesn't know them, just get a recommendation letter.

Also don't sue me for legal malpractice, ever.

Eh, they know of him most likely.

I won't, if you don't gently caress up. Or don't have insurance. Or assets.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Colorblind Pilot posted:

nm posted:

(Unless she's a URM at Yale, then she should go for it).

I'm a URM at Yale and everyone (profs, students, etc.) here says "If you want to do international human rights law you need to either not overspecialize your class selection so you look prepared to do other stuff or you better be prepared to be working on the defendants' side of international human rights law."

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

blar posted:

Is anyone here actually on IBR? It's 10 year forgiveness for non-profit/pubic and 25 years for private sector right?

I'm on it, loving owns, end of story. My BA was paid by the GI Bill, so I borrowed only Stafford and Grad PLUS for law school and owe ~160k. My monthly payments are $270 on IBR. It is the best thing ever and if the Republicans cut it I will cut a Republican.

HooKars posted:

:smith:

I couldn't even imagine a (non-military) job where I was at work 15 hours a day. That's not worth any amount of money to me. I would honestly rather be unemployed. I'm sorry HooKars!

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 14, 2010

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Defleshed posted:

I'm on it, loving owns, end of story. My BA was paid by the GI Bill, so I borrowed only Stafford and Grad PLUS for law school and owe ~160k. My monthly payments are $270 on IBR. It is the best thing ever and if the Republicans cut it I will cut a Republican.

I couldn't even imagine a (non-military) job where I was at work 15 hours a day. That's not worth any amount of money to me. I would honestly rather be unemployed. I'm sorry HooKars!

The bill that created IBR was passed with pretty far-ranging bipartisan support, even though it didn't have any Republican cosponsors (about 30 Democrats though). 273-149 in the House, 78-18(!) in the Senate, signed by Bush in 2007. I doubt it's going anywhere.

IBR owns.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Or assets.

Perfect!

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

The Warszawa posted:

I'm a URM at Yale and everyone (profs, students, etc.) here says "If you want to do international human rights law you need to either not overspecialize your class selection so you look prepared to do other stuff or you better be prepared to be working on the defendants' side of international human rights law."

Yeah, here at Northwestern we do a IHR conference every year, and I'm helping prepare a brief on some of the Yugoslavia court things - so for some context here, that means being the defense attorney for people on trial for (in my cases) locking up about 100 people in a house, setting it on fire and shooting people trying to escape; regularly lining up 10 - 15 along a river and shooting them into it; and just generally good touchy-feely stuff.

So some context about what human rights defense work entails.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
how much does human rights defense work pay?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Napoleon I posted:

how much does human rights defense work pay?

Also is it at all like being a mob lawyer where eventually your clients try to kill you because you Know Too Much?

Also does that actually happen to mob lawyers or is it just a TV and movie thing? I remember a story from an appellate judge who used to do crim defense work and one of her clients was a jamaican gang who invited her to dinner once to celebrate a case but she turned it down because they (or some other gang, I don't remember) had just recently killed one of their accountants. Maybe that was the case they were celebrating, I dunno

Anyway Hookars your job sounds horrible but I guess it could be worse! At least they aren't literally trying to kill you, they're only being metaphorical about it

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anyway Hookars your job sounds horrible but I guess it could be worse! At least they aren't literally trying to kill you, they're only being metaphorical about it

Well, they are literally trying to kill Hookars, they're just doing it a bit more indirectly and with the hope of extracting some good billables beforehand.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also are gangs protected by the corporate veil?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
My dream job is mafia lawyer. :unsmith:

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
I know little about law or lawyers, but I do enjoy Bill Handel's radio program "Handel on the Law." Podcast available via itunes if you're interested.

What do you guys think of his advice? I like his show, but was wondering about the accuracy of it. After reading the first few posts of the thread, the attitude seems correct.

Apologies if you guys have covered Handel.

Don't sue me.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Napoleon I posted:

My dream job is mafia lawyer. :unsmith:

For some reason my brain popped the phrase "Casa Gliere" as the official term for a mafia lawyer, but I can find no support for that whatsoever. It's probably a musical term. But I still recall there being some Italian term for it, maybe it got stuck in my head from a Puzo book. Anyone remember it?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Abugadu posted:

For some reason my brain popped the phrase "Casa Gliere" as the official term for a mafia lawyer, but I can find no support for that whatsoever. It's probably a musical term. But I still recall there being some Italian term for it, maybe it got stuck in my head from a Puzo book. Anyone remember it?

Consigliere

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Abugadu posted:

Consigliere. Gliere was a composer who made a very nice French horn concerto.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Abugadu posted:

lmbo

waffle goo!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
My fried brain thanks you.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also is it at all like being a mob lawyer where eventually your clients try to kill you because you Know Too Much?

Also does that actually happen to mob lawyers or is it just a TV and movie thing? I remember a story from an appellate judge who used to do crim defense work and one of her clients was a jamaican gang who invited her to dinner once to celebrate a case but she turned it down because they (or some other gang, I don't remember) had just recently killed one of their accountants. Maybe that was the case they were celebrating, I dunno

Coolest class I took in undergrad was "legal implications of the drug trade." We had lots of interesting guest speakers (class was taught by a federal district court judge). One speaker was a lawyer for a Mexican drug cartel. He never said he was afraid of being killed by the cartel, at least not as long as he continued working for them. He said he tried quitting but they wouldn't let him.

One upside was that he could take vacations in Mexico in areas controlled by his cartel and he was treated like a king. However if he went to other parts of Mexico he'd be killed by rival cartels.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kase Im Licht posted:

Coolest class I took in undergrad was "legal implications of the drug trade."

I don't suppose you'd be able to suggest any reading on this? I'm considering trying my hand on writing about the legal structure of criminal enterprise for the final paper in one of my courses this year

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

HooKars posted:

Yay for my job.

I can't thank The Internet enough for keeping me out of law school. This is such a depressing existence.

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

gently caress all you babbies with your federal only loans and IBR bullshit, how can you know the true misery of being a lawyer without the crush of non-dischargeable, $1300 monthly student loan payments hanging over your head and locking you in an alcoholic haze

anyone with student loan payments under $2k a month is a smart person who read this thread and didn't go to law school (or who wasn't a loving idiot and hypothetically applied late and paid for a private law school when the school would have paid for most of it but was out of cash)

I would stab an infinite number of people if it would let me convert private loans to federal

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

Kase Im Licht posted:

Coolest class I took in undergrad was "legal implications of the drug trade." We had lots of interesting guest speakers (class was taught by a federal district court judge). One speaker was a lawyer for a Mexican drug cartel. He never said he was afraid of being killed by the cartel, at least not as long as he continued working for them. He said he tried quitting but they wouldn't let him.

One upside was that he could take vacations in Mexico in areas controlled by his cartel and he was treated like a king. However if he went to other parts of Mexico he'd be killed by rival cartels.

Hey uh, I took that class too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I thank my lucky stars every day for only needing to take out Stafford loans.