Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Thanks.

Oh man, I have been having a panic attack for the last two hours. I completely thought that I killed my phone, and I've been attacking Google, XDA, and other places trying to figure out how to fix my Incredible. No matter what I couldn't get out of HBOOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Thanks.

Oh man, I have been having a panic attack for the last two hours. I completely thought that I killed my phone, and I've been attacking Google, XDA, and other places trying to figure out how to fix my Incredible. No matter what I couldn't get out of HBOOT.
You should try being stuck at the emergency recovery screen (orange warning triangle), that is loving scary.

Took me hours to find a fix too.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
That's where I was - the red /!\ screen.

Thank got I found a way to reload the 2.2 OS.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
Just wondering how did you get to that point where your phone was almost bricked?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I stupidly tried to force the phone to install the new OTA update, and I obviously did it wrong :ssj:

Needless to say, I'm running fresh Titanium and Nandroid backups.

THESE SOCKS?
Sep 27, 2004
I just got a LG Optimus S and rooted it using the z4root app, but none of the wireless tethering apps are working for me. I don't get any errors, and everything on the phone looks fine, but none of my devices can see the supposedly-created network. Does anyone know what would be causing this?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

THESE SOCKS? posted:

I just got a LG Optimus S and rooted it using the z4root app, but none of the wireless tethering apps are working for me. I don't get any errors, and everything on the phone looks fine, but none of my devices can see the supposedly-created network. Does anyone know what would be causing this?

You need to do more than root, you need to install a rom that supports wireless tethering.

THESE SOCKS?
Sep 27, 2004

Casao posted:

You need to do more than root, you need to install a rom that supports wireless tethering.

Ah, thanks. I didn't use the "one-click" root methods before with my EVO.

THESE SOCKS? fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 15, 2010

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

God Exists. posted:

Just wondering how did you get to that point where your phone was almost bricked?

In my case, I ran a rooting tool that wiped my HBOOT, couldn't fix it, and I was left with the emergency recovery mode. I forget the specifics.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

So, apparently, when Titanium Backup says "backup," it really means "backup the settings, not the actual app." I want to install the OTA for my Incredible, but it seems you need all the bloatware to be on the system for the update to work? I backed up VZ Navigator then removed it, but since Titanium doesn't actually back it up, I can't restore it. What do I do from here?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Did you choose "back up all apps and system data?" If you did that, and then uninstalled the program, it should still exist in backup form.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Aatrek posted:

Did you choose "back up all apps and system data?" If you did that, and then uninstalled the program, it should still exist in backup form.

No.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
There you go, then. Your backup was only the system data.

Can you go into the Market (under the Verizon tab) and get VZ Navigator there?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Aatrek posted:

There you go, then. Your backup was only the system data.

Can you go into the Market (under the Verizon tab) and get VZ Navigator there?

This looks like it worked, thanks. I installed VZ Navigator for Incredible off the Market. Titanium no longer lists it as uninstalled. Am I safe to let the OTA update run from here (I don't especially care whether I lose root, I can reroot some other time if I need)?

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

tzirean posted:

This looks like it worked, thanks. I installed VZ Navigator for Incredible off the Market. Titanium no longer lists it as uninstalled. Am I safe to let the OTA update run from here (I don't especially care whether I lose root, I can reroot some other time if I need)?

There's a detailed guide here- http://solo.dc3.com/dinc/

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

God Exists. posted:

There's a detailed guide here- http://solo.dc3.com/dinc/

Tried that first. Can't get past 2g, because I don't know how to do that. Mounting /system doesn't actually mount any drive I can access on my PC.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

tzirean posted:

Mounting /system doesn't actually mount any drive I can access on my PC.
It does. You have to move them using ADB push commands in the command prompt. But you don't have to do them at all, you can move the apps into system/app using Root Explorer.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

God Exists. posted:

It does. You have to move them using ADB push commands in the command prompt. But you don't have to do them at all, you can move the apps into system/app using Root Explorer.

I don't understand. But since I reinstalled VZNav from the market, I can skip 2 entirely?

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

tzirean posted:

I don't understand. But since I reinstalled VZNav from the market, I can skip 2 entirely?

I don't understand why you're stuck. If all your crapware is restored you don't have to worry about adb mounting or whatever, you can move on to step 3.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

God Exists. posted:

I don't understand why you're stuck. If all your crapware is restored you don't have to worry about adb mounting or whatever, you can move on to step 3.

I was still trying to figure out how step 2 works. So I'll just move on, thanks.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

No dice. Errors out with "assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/VzNav.apk", "de955dbcd1d9644ae4870cf0f0320ce178cc06ff", "1c4af8208e712a6df83150671d1bcf0a59a86a38")." So the VZ Navigator from the market doesn't work to replace the original.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

tzirean posted:

No dice. Errors out with "assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/VzNav.apk", "de955dbcd1d9644ae4870cf0f0320ce178cc06ff", "1c4af8208e712a6df83150671d1bcf0a59a86a38")." So the VZ Navigator from the market doesn't work to replace the original.

Market version would install to /data.

tzirean posted:

Tried that first. Can't get past 2g, because I don't know how to do that. Mounting /system doesn't actually mount any drive I can access on my PC.

Remounting /system would be remounting it on the phone. Reading those instructions, they're not very straight forward - you'd need to transfer the stuff from wherever it is to the proper directory via the mv command or the cp command. This would usually go to /system/app I believe, and would be done in command line on the phone.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Casao posted:

Market version would install to /data.

Remounting /system would be remounting it on the phone. Reading those instructions, they're not very straight forward - you'd need to transfer the stuff from wherever it is to the proper directory via the mv command or the cp command. This would usually go to /system/app I believe, and would be done in command line on the phone.

OK, I've copied com.vznavigator.ADR6300-1.apk to /system/app. Do I now rename it to VzNav.apk to match? Or am I hosed because it's not going to recognize this as the correct VzNav anyway?

EDIT: Yeah, fails the same way it did before.

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 15, 2010

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I'm really not particularly pleased with Obsidian. The battery life is poo poo and it's been weirdly laggy since I installed it. I never experienced this type of lag, even on stock. MMS messages also come in blurry as poo poo.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Stunt Rock posted:

I'm really not particularly pleased with Obsidian. The battery life is poo poo and it's been weirdly laggy since I installed it. I never experienced this type of lag, even on stock. MMS messages also come in blurry as poo poo.

Did you Odin back to stock before installing? They've got a temporary fix in the beta of Obsidian v3 by replacing the touchwiz MMS app with the AOSP MMS app, so if you like the look and want to do that, it should be out within 48 hours for general consumption.

Otherwise I'd recommend Onyx 2.2 - I love it, and battery life is tremendous.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Euthyphro posted:

Did you Odin back to stock before installing? They've got a temporary fix in the beta of Obsidian v3 by replacing the touchwiz MMS app with the AOSP MMS app, so if you like the look and want to do that, it should be out within 48 hours for general consumption.

Otherwise I'd recommend Onyx 2.2 - I love it, and battery life is tremendous.

I didn't. But I just saw that they updated Obsidian right after I posted it. I'll look into Onyx. I thought Bionix Fusion was pretty fantastic, and was pretty disappointed with Obsidian.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Casao posted:

Further than that, tethering is something that must be supported at the kernel-level. Though it's fairly likely that any ROM you're grabbing has the proper kernel for making tethering happen.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

tzirean posted:

Why do you even want VZ Navigator?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

Why do you even want VZ Navigator?

I don't, which is why I got rid of it before. But I can't install the OTA without it, apparently.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Is there a way to root phones in an automated or at least semi-automated way? I've rooted about 12 different phones at this point. They are all very straight forward to root these days (SuperOneClick, UniversalAndroot, etc).

However, the task I have is to get the phones rooted and working with Android Wireless Tether. This is where the difficulty can sometimes come in. Some phones I can root and WT works right away because the phone has a kernel that can work with WT.

Other times, I have to find a reliable ROM that has a updated kernel for the phone, or just a kernel update by itself. There are many different ways to install custom recoveries. Many different ways to flash an updated ROM/kernel.

I know about AutoHotKeys (havn't really used it much yet, though). I know about ADB Tool, correct me if I'm wrong in thinking it's only for the Droid X, or at least not any device? I just really have not figured out a way to do what I need in a quick, automated way.

This is the list of things that need to be done automatically. I click one button and the following things happen:

- Root Device
- Install Wireless Tether apk

-I step in and test if it needs an updated kernel. If it doesn't, I'm done. If it does move forward down the line:

- Install Custom Recovery
- Flash Updated ROM/Kernel

Wireless Tether should work after those steps. The people who want these phones from me have a preference towards Wireless Tether over Barnacle. But if there is no alternative (No netfilter support on the device, etc) then they have to settle for Barnacle.

tl;dr: Automated rooting/tethering - possible with little to no programming skills?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Does Dwang support Apps2SD?

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
Dwang supports Apps2SD via ext2/3 partition :)

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.
It took me a few days, but I finally got my MyTouch 3G Slide rooted. Thank you all and the rest of the Internet.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
This will come as no surprise to anybody who has already rooted their Evo but to those still hesitating I will tell you that by doing nothing more than rooting and removing the Sprint junk I have seemingly doubled by battery life.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

KarmaticStylee posted:

by doing nothing more than rooting and removing the Sprint junk I have seemingly doubled by battery life.

No you haven't, that's nonsense.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

God Exists. posted:

Especially seeing as they aren't using the CPU, they're simply existing there in memory.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!

God Exists. posted:

"Doubled" is probably a stretch but it sure seems to get a lot more off a charge. Then again, I'm a noob and maybe I'm seeing things. Is it possible that having used Qik at some points that it could have been a culprit?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Globochem posted:

It took me a few days, but I finally got my MyTouch 3G Slide rooted. Thank you all and the rest of the Internet.
I rooted my wife's slide and put CM6.1RC1 on it. She loves it way more than 2.1/Sense, but the bluetooth is hosed up. They might have fixed it in a nightly, but I'm not going to put her through constant phone fuckery when it's something she's not too worried about.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

KarmaticStylee posted:

"Doubled" is probably a stretch but it sure seems to get a lot more off a charge. Then again, I'm a noob and maybe I'm seeing things. Is it possible that having used Qik at some points that it could have been a culprit?

something that uses a video camera, encodes, decodes, displays and sends/receives a shitload of data over wireless will probably drain your battery, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Casao posted:

I guess it depends on the device, because the stock EVO ROM supports wireless tethering (requires you to install the experimental build of wifi tether, but it works).