Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohib
Jun 12, 2006
Objective Accomplished.

Casimir Radon posted:

An artist who was working on it says they've blown more money than Avatar cost on it, are completely afraid of not making the ship date, everything is a mess except the sound which comprises 20 gigs and they're very proud of it despite everything else being a complete loving mess. Really I want it to burn to the ground so they'll not try something retarded like this again.

It wasn't an "artist", it was some anonymous person who claimed they were a disgruntled Bioware member of staff who got fired - they admitted they weren't working on TOR or anywhere near it and that it was something they heard through the grapevine. In other words - it's bullshit.

Ohib fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NGL posted:

Yes they do. Dave Filoni (who basically runs the show) has an obvious hard-on for the OT and isn't above arguing with Jorge about it.

And Lucas always wins those arguments.

Also Filoni has always struck me as a fanboy and not in a good way - I mean, the fact that he was completely obsessed with Plo Koon, a character who appeared in about ten minutes of the prequels and had no dialogue, should say it all. It's like the people who are so obsessed with Boba Fett because of his role in the original trilogy. I never understood that.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Chairman Capone posted:

And Lucas always wins those arguments.

Also Filoni has always struck me as a fanboy and not in a good way - I mean, the fact that he was completely obsessed with Plo Koon, a character who appeared in about ten minutes of the prequels and had no dialogue, should say it all. It's like the people who are so obsessed with Boba Fett because of his role in the original trilogy. I never understood that.

Not always. Filoni insisted on making the holo-chess monsters look like stop-motion in one episode. Jorge didn't get it.

Re: Boba Fett - He's got cool armor, shoots lasers from his wrists and has a jetpack with a missile on it. When you're 8, that's all that matters. Also, he disintegrates his targets and doesn't take poo poo from Vader.

Besides, what's wrong with Plo Koon? He's just a weird-looking alien Jedi who dies in ROTS.

Also, the first rule of working at Lucasfilm: Jorge is Always Right.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

NGL posted:

Also, the first rule of working at Lucasfilm: Jorge is Always Right.

Just watched the Making of Episode I documentary that is on the bonus disk and this is the truth. We've talked about it in the thread but I will just repeat what other people have said and say check it out. George runs around bungling everything as everyone else tries to play damage control while simultaneously being yes men.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Stormtroopers are only really competent at blowing away unarmed farmers. The elite ones are just mediocre soldiers.

Actually, Stormtroopers really are elite soldiers. The problem is they're camera shy. Whenever they see a camera around they start worrying about whether they scuffed their boots and they can't shoot straight.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why do you guys call him Jorge?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ohib posted:

It wasn't an "artist", it was some anonymous person who claimed they were a disgruntled Bioware member of staff who got fired - they admitted they weren't working on TOR or anywhere near it and that it was something they heard through the grapevine. In other words - it's bullshit.
It's going to suck, trust me.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Casimir Radon posted:

It's going to suck, trust me.

MMOs all suck so you're not really saying anything new. Bioware makes good poo poo so I would hope that TOR will continue that trend, but there's no such thing as a good MMO so who knows.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Fox of Stone posted:

It was a one-off joke from RLM's Phantom Menace Review.

Towards the very end, I think.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Fox of Stone posted:

It's less ambiguous than "George" and less respectful than "Lucas".

Unrelatedly, this Cracked article was pretty enjoyable.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Did anyone else see that the DLC for FU2 is probably already on the disk. :downsbravo:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Epi Lepi posted:

MMOs all suck so you're not really saying anything new. Bioware makes good poo poo so I would hope that TOR will continue that trend, but there's no such thing as a good MMO so who knows.

Actually, Bioware pretty much just makes the same poo poo. They're getting pretty well practiced at it by now.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somebody has not seen the light of Stormtrooper Presley:

I thought I was looking at Stormtrooper Walter Sobchak for one very confused moment until I realized there was no beard.

"Say what you will about the tenets of the Jedi Order dude, at least it's an ethos."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Mexican Bandito Stormtrooper is even better, though I lost the image :(.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Mexican Bandito Stormtrooper is even better, though I lost the image :(.
Yeah, that guy is awesome:

I'm not sure how I feel about this one, though:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SeanBeansShako posted:

EA aren't known for running MMO's well.

Neither is Lucasarts. And at the very least EA has changed their image to be a very respectable company so this changes nothing.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

arioch posted:

Actually, Bioware pretty much just makes the same poo poo. They're getting pretty well practiced at it by now.

My bad, guess I just imagined all the fun I had playing Mass Effect, Dragon Age, KOTOR, etc. You're right, Bioware has never made a good game and definitely has not made any critical or commercial blockbusters in the past year or so.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Epi Lepi posted:

My bad, guess I just imagined all the fun I had playing Mass Effect, Dragon Age, KOTOR, etc. You're right, Bioware has never made a good game and definitely has not made any critical or commercial blockbusters in the past year or so.

I think he was saying that Bioware just makes the same sort of game over and over again, just varying the setting. And since the one game they make isn't an MMO, there's no telling if they can make a decent MMORPG.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Regarding EA/LucasArts/Bioware:

Isn't Bioware currently owned (although it is an independent studio) by Electronic Arts? The way it sounds to me, EA is now going to be in charge of the marketing/distribution end of things. I think that might actually be a good thing considering the shitstorm that took place with SOE/LucasArts and the NGE which was (allegedly) pushed in before it was ready by LucasArts.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Epi Lepi posted:

I like their stuff, too, but it's hard to deny that their games are somewhat formulaic. Cracked makes the argument more eloquently than I do.

To get back on Star Wars, check out Cracked's examination of the real hero of the Battle of Yavin.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Pththya-lyi posted:

I like their stuff, too, but it's hard to deny that their games are somewhat formulaic. Cracked makes the argument more eloquently than I do.

To get back on Star Wars, check out Cracked's examination of the real hero of the Battle of Yavin.

Well yeah they're formulaic, but I can't find myself caring when I'm having so much fun. Anyways, I haven't enjoyed an MMO since I woke up from my WoW addiction and realized I'd forgotten that the game was actually fun once, but I have hope for TOR since its Bioware and its Star Wars.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Well yeah they're formulaic, but I can't find myself caring when I'm having so much fun.

His point is they're delving into territory unfamiliar to them. Not whether those games are good or not.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Casimir Radon posted:

An artist who was working on it says they've blown more money than Avatar cost on it, are completely afraid of not making the ship date, everything is a mess except the sound which comprises 20 gigs and they're very proud of it despite everything else being a complete loving mess. Really I want it to burn to the ground so they'll not try something retarded like this again.

Good. Since it looks like Duke Nukem Forever will actually ship soon, we'll need a new whipping boy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well this is interesting.

Yes, They Did have Star Wars Spoilers back in 1978

vinvectrex posted:

When the first Star Wars movie came out, my family was living in Sunnyvale, California. My mom quickly realized that, at 7 years old, I was a huge Darth Vader fan. Prior to seeing the movie, I incorrectly thought he was Darth Fader (allowing him to fade through walls and attack his victims). For this particular 7 year old, who had heard his friends speak of the movie, and tell of various Force powers, this fading ability made sense.

Anyway, my mother was good to keep an eye out for Star Wars news – and when this particular item showed up in our local paper, she cut it out for me. I still have it to this day. And, it was my first introduction to spoilers. In late 1978, David Prowse revealed that he was Luke’s father – two years before Empire Strikes Back hit theaters. In retrospect, I wonder how George Lucas felt about this. Since there was no internet in 1978, he probably never knew that David was running around spilling the beans. This article was quite the shock to my 7 year old system. Could this be correct? Were they related? Was David playing a joke? Was the post-Watergate media trustworthy? I had to wait two years to find out.

These days spoilers are pretty much inevitable. But, in 1978, this was big news. Eventually I decided that I believed the article, and shared the news with my friends. They mocked me for making up such a crazy idea. Luke related to Vader – simply impossible. A while later we moved, so I never got to gloat that I was right about this when Empire hit the theaters. They probably forgot all about it. But I was right. I have the article to prove it. Why didn’t I think of showing it to my friends back in 1978?

This would suggest that Lucas knew Vader was going to be Luke's father in 1978. Which I guess could line up with the second draft of Empire, I'm not sure. But apparently even David Prowse knew (and wouldn't keep his big mouth shut) which is interesting, given that reports say that David Prowse's line on the day of was actually something like, "No, Obi-Wan killed your father" to keep it under wraps.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

We should really go back to calling fans cultists.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

thrawn527 posted:

David Prowse's line on the day of was actually something like, "No, Obi-Wan killed your father" to keep it under wraps.

See, wheels within wheels, man! He really did plan out the prequels from the beginning!

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
If true - George Lucas either:

1. Didn't know about Leia being Luke's sister.
2. Knew anyway and went the creepy route by having them kiss.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

^^^^ yeeeah I was kidding

Pththya-lyi posted:

Rather than the what-if that they present, I'd love to see the "What if Han Straight Up Vaporizes Vader" alternate history. Luke becomes a pawn that Yoda and the Emperor fight over, without any impetus to forge his own destiny? Does Yoda even give a poo poo about Luke if he can't "face Vader" any more? ESB becomes about Thrawn and What's-Her-Face flying around and being awesome without anyone's sorcerous ways getting in their business?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

Rather than the what-if that they present, I'd love to see the "What if Han Straight Up Vaporizes Vader" alternate history. Luke becomes a pawn that Yoda and the Emperor fight over, without any impetus to forge his own destiny? Does Yoda even give a poo poo about Luke if he can't "face Vader" any more? ESB becomes about Thrawn and What's-Her-Face flying around and being awesome without anyone's sorcerous ways getting in their business?

Wouldn't Yoda still want Luke trained to face the Emperor?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LLJKSiLk posted:

If true - George Lucas either:

1. Didn't know about Leia being Luke's sister.
2. Knew anyway and went the creepy route by having them kiss.

It was 2. The story was that Lucas used it to cover up the spoiler because he told the truth to the director, Hamill and of course, James Earl Jones. Since this is just a newspaper article it may not have been widespread knowledge. In interviews Hammil said he was "surprised to hear it" at the time.

Now we can assume that everyone was being coy for the sake of drama in documentaries, but what I think happened was Prowse made it up either got lucky, or Lucas decided it was a good idea (it could be either, he constantly revises scripts like its OCD). Prowse is known for being kept out of the loop, always has been. It's been a source of enmity between him and George for a long time. I really doubt he was privvy to some secret information.

Edit: Plus at the end he was flat out wrong about "Star Wars IV"

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 16, 2010

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Doc Hawkins posted:

That would be pretty cool, but one problem is that Darth Vader's TIE Fighter had shields, unlike other TIE Fighters, so thats "why" Han and/or Chewie didn't fire on him.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

KaLogain posted:

That would be pretty cool, but one problem is that Darth Vader's TIE Fighter had shields, unlike other TIE Fighters, so thats "why" Han and/or Chewie didn't fire on him.

That's a retcon due to the EU. We have no way of knowing that on the movie alone.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Has anyone ever put up a full-body recreation of Obi-Wan's last strike on Anakin?

I've seen the cut many times, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense. I can't envision the body angles and cutting that results in Anakin's limbs all being cut off.

Anyone have a gif? Perhaps staring at it 100 times would help.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
All I know is do not type in Anakin Decapitated on google images and go to the second page.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

KaLogain posted:

X-wings have shields too, and they still seemed to die pretty easily.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TLG James posted:

All I know is do not type in Anakin Decapitated on google images and go to the second page.

WHY DIDNT I LISTEN

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Flagrant Abuse posted:

X-wings have shields too, and they still seemed to die pretty easily.

:eng101: The Rebel pilots moved all deflector energy to the front of their fighters to be able to survive the Trench Guns. This made them incredibly vulnerable on their rear/sides.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Well everyone knows that you have to fire your lasers grouped in twos or more to kill tie fighters in one 'shot'. X-wing series taught me that. To kill x-wings you have to hit them with 6 dual laser shots after shields are down.

DAMNED YOU HULL DMG!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mister Roboto posted:

Has anyone ever put up a full-body recreation of Obi-Wan's last strike on Anakin?

I've seen the cut many times, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense. I can't envision the body angles and cutting that results in Anakin's limbs all being cut off.

Anyone have a gif? Perhaps staring at it 100 times would help.

Obi wan makes an L shaped swing, the first leg parallel to analin above him, cutting off his arm. Then he goes 90 degrees perpendicular to anakin cutting of both his legs. It doesn't help that you dont really see any of it.

It's silly but it works.

As my sister in law said when she saw that scene, "analon was disarmed and defeated". (pun)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

Well everyone knows that you have to fire your lasers grouped in twos or more to kill tie fighters in one 'shot'. X-wing series taught me that. To kill x-wings you have to hit them with 6 dual laser shots after shields are down.
I could have sworn it was 3 laser shots to kill a standard TIE. The B-wing was perfect, everything else less so.