Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

How are Championship belts made? whats the process for putting one together?

You contact This guy, and he makes it.

Take a look, it's a super cool site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I may have imagined this but I remember once they got the belt professionally cleaned and everybody was super hyped about how shiny it was now.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Exasperated Badger posted:

Have there been any updates on Ricky Steamboat since he got Nexused in real life? The last I heard was that he was on the road to recovery, but nothing beyond that.

Jim Ross blogged that Steamboat was back working with the kids in FCW recently, and was almost totally recovered I believe.

Also, regarding shiny belts, I'm sure I remember someone saying that in the age of HD, they have really well maintained belts that they use for on camera stuff, and that the ones you'd see at a house show are kind of falling apart. Though to be fair, the nameplate falling off Daniel Bryan's belt on Raw a few weeks back might suggest otherwise.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 13, 2010

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Perry Normal posted:

Though to be fair, the nameplate falling off Daniel Bryan's belt on Raw a few weeks back might suggest otherwise.
That was because Bryan had to hastily remove the "Asparagus" nameplate and put his back in place.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

That was because Bryan had to hastily remove the "Asparagus" nameplate and put his back in place.

As silly as it would be, I would mark so hard if Daniel Bryan started bringing the dog with him to ringside, with it wearing the belt, celebrating wins by giving him a treat, etc etc. Asparagus > Matilda.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Perry Normal posted:

As silly as it would be, I would mark so hard if Daniel Bryan started bringing the dog with him to ringside, with it wearing the belt, celebrating wins by giving him a treat, etc etc. Asparagus > Matilda.

Would he be wearing his eye patch?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

You want to see some drat sympathy heat? Adorable dog in an eyepatch. :colbert:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

And a pirate hat

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What made Paul Heyman and Jim Cornette hate each other so much?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Why was the Cruiserweight Championship retired? Was it just not a draw, or were/are there not enough good cruiserweights to make it interesting or what?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

UndergroundHero posted:

Watching WWE On Demand, they're airing the 1995 Survivor Series. One of the matches has the ring announcer introducing Ahmed Johnson as making his PPV debut. Knowing now how much of a push he was going get before injuries derailed him, it seemed announcing his PPV debut was a big step in that direction.

It got me to thinking though, is Survivor Series the PPV where most debuts (to the company and ppv) occur?

Undertaker, The Rock, the aforementioned Ahmed, CM Punk made his PPV debut, Scott Steiner, Ric Flair,and Kurt Angle are some of the names that I can think of. No other PPV seems to be quite the same launching pad for a new face.

I think it was usually used as the debut place for a lot of guys because the format allowed for so many people to be on the card

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

oldpainless posted:

What made Paul Heyman and Jim Cornette hate each other so much?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70SOBBz58-s

Follow the related links for the next parts. It's pretty comprehensive and Cornette's always great for a listen.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Maxwell Lord posted:

Why was the Cruiserweight Championship retired? Was it just not a draw, or were/are there not enough good cruiserweights to make it interesting or what?

Vince didn't care about it and I believe they flat out told the Cruiserweights to stop doing high flying moves.

I think a story got out that London tried to argue since he was the Champion and he was just immediately blown off.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

One of the few things WCW did right was having a super strong cruiserweight division and actually making the belt mean something. You had guys like Jericho, Malenko, Mysterio and Guerrero regularly battling for it and putting on the best matches week after week. It didn't hurt that they brought in some of the best talent from around the world to fill it out.

That's one of the biggest things that WWE dropped the ball with in my opinion. When WCW fell they could have built an incredible cruiserweight division out of guys from both companies that probably would have worked for much less than the main eventers were costing them.

Even putting guys like Bourne, Kofi, Kidd, Gabriel, Tatsu and Kaval in it today would still make it fun to watch.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 14, 2010

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I remember Matt Hardy competing as a cruiserweight.

:laffo:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The best part about a cruiserweight division is that they can just go to the back and point at two guys and say 'go out and have a good match' without having to write anything for them. The guys go out and do what they love to do, they put on an entertaining match, they take up tv time (saving you from creating bullshit filler like Hornswaggle skits) and more of your wrestlers get television time to improve and get their name out there. Pretty much Superstars but for a segment of every show every week and with quality matches.

Wrestlers get to wrestle, people see wrestling and there are less complaints from talent and from fans that a wrestling show isn't showing in ring action. It's a win-win situation all around and other than needing more time instead to showcase the stunning talents of guys like Tyler Reks I really don't see the drawback.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Hornswoggle skits are bigger ratings and merchandise draws than cruiserweight matches, sorry.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That doesn't make them any less insulting to anyone with half a brain. Or older than five.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That doesn't make them any less insulting to anyone with half a brain. Or older than five.

Thing which makes them money is gonna be more appealing than thing which pleases small minority of roster and fanbase. Especially when they don't care about the former and the latter will watch anyway (and don't buy t-shirts.)

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
"Why aren't people buying our PPVs?"
*dedicates more time to 'Stand Up' video packages and midget skits than actual wrestling or building a feud for more than 2 weeks*

WWE don't care about the cruiserweights because wrestling doesn't require terrible writing. Just two guys going out and having a good match. They see themselves as a variety show rather than wrestling.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Perry Normal posted:

Also, regarding shiny belts, I'm sure I remember someone saying that in the age of HD, they have really well maintained belts that they use for on camera stuff, and that the ones you'd see at a house show are kind of falling apart.

Misunderstanding of the truth here. They've had two belts for at least the past decade, a TV version that travels from show to show and is better maintained and a house show version that gets normal wear and tear. WWE has always made the champ travel with the belt (and even the Money In The Bank briefcase, at least in RVD's case). WCW, however, let the champions leave their belt with the prop guys after TV shows/tapings. I believe WCW also only had one set of belts.

I would say that, up until the wrestling boom and increased television production of the late 90s promotions never had a second copy of a belt. That meant that if someone quit/was fired as champ the promotion had to make a new belt and in the interim either have no physical belt or use an old (even if unrelated, like AWA using a tag belt or WWF replacing the NWA title with a tag belt during Flair's first run) belt.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 14, 2010

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The best part about a cruiserweight division is that they can just go to the back and point at two guys and say 'go out and have a good match' without having to write anything for them.

I thought WCW was always total poo poo, with finishes and storylines in the main event that made no goddamn sense, but the under card was always solid. It used to seem as though they used to do just that, throw the first two cruiser-weights who showed up to the building in a match and never gave it any more thought than that.

WWE just revolves around a handful of people, there's really nothing more to it than that, sadly. London and Kendrick did a shoot where they talked about how they asked what it would take for a tag team to make it big or whatever, and Shane blew them off saying he didn't care about tag teams, and that the last time he cared about one was The Legion of Doom.

Its a wonder they keep the tag belts around.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Thing which makes them money is gonna be more appealing than thing which pleases small minority of roster

I'm sure the roster is much happier with a midget being paraded around in comedy skits that they sometimes have to be involved in that make them look stupid rather than going out and showcasing their talents and getting actual TV time doing what they signed up and trained so hard for.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

One of the few things WCW did right was having a super strong cruiserweight division and actually making the belt mean something. You had guys like Jericho, Malenko, Mysterio and Guerrero regularly battling for it and putting on the best matches week after week. It didn't hurt that they brought in some of the best talent from around the world to fill it out.

The Cruiserweight Division in WCW served several purposes:

- It was exciting due to the athleticism
- The talent usually came in real cheap (despite WCW overpaying guys)
- At one point I believe WCW had over 20 Cruiserweights. Maybe even more.
- Fans cared about the top storylines because they were presented well. The fans were also able to cheer for a guy and that guy would be pushed. Take Billy Kidman for a great example. WCW was also willing to experiment. Prince Ieukea got a push. Didn't work? Try another guy until it does.
- It was actually relied upon to carry the first hour of Nitro. WCW knew that WWF usually presented a weak card for wrestling in the first hour back then so they knew they could keep them hot for nWo/upper card storylines later by only peppering the nWo with segments in the first hour and pushing Crusierweight/Tag Division storylines through matches in the rest. It might have been an accident, but Nitro was a very well booked show until after 1998.

It's not really so much that "Wrestlers under 200lbs" are a draw or exciting or whatever. The Cruiserweight Division was different, wrestling focused and multi-cultural. It gives people choice. It wasn't just grunge popular in 1992. REM, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pantera and Nine Inch Nails all had their place as well. That's what a great wrestling show should be, and used to be back in the day (Except back then, it was midgets and a guy fighting a bear).

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

The biggest difference is the philosophy that went into the booking. Bischoff has said that since the focus of the promotion and storylines was built around guys who were older and wouldn't have good matches they used the undercard to have good wrestling. This is opposed to WWE during the Attitude Era, where often the upper-card wascounted on to have good matches and the undercard was average wrestling with bigger characters and storylines.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lone Rogue posted:

It served one more, which I hated back then but miss now:

It took the place of the big get-the-main-angle-over twenty-minute segment. Instead, we would get an awesome match while Tony, Tenay and Heenan put over the main event or angle. I hated that they wouldn't talk about the match at the time but it's SOOOOOO much better to get awesome wrestling than to not.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

It served one more, which I hated back then but miss now:

It took the place of the big get-the-main-angle-over twenty-minute segment. Instead, we would get an awesome match while Tony, Tenay and Heenan put over the main event or angle. I hated that they wouldn't talk about the match at the time but it's SOOOOOO much better to get awesome wrestling than to not.

I'll be honest, I'd rather they have gotten over the main angle/main event than if they had tried to keep up with some of those crazy cruiserweight matches.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm sure the roster is much happier with a midget being paraded around in comedy skits that they sometimes have to be involved in that make them look stupid rather than going out and showcasing their talents and getting actual TV time doing what they signed up and trained so hard for.

Hmmmmmm, if they only cared about wrestling, a majority of them would have stayed in the indies. WWE and TNA wrestlers cared about wrestling and more importantly getting paid. If that midget helps increase TV ratings and house show sales, then they will not be complaining about it. You can pretend all that you want that these guys do this simply because they love wrestling, but getting paid is why they signed that big time contract. If something increases their pay above the downside guarantee, then they will be happy with it or they would quit.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Still say there's room for WWE to replace Superstars with a third brand that's purely smark-orientated. Cruiserweights, tag teams and practically no stories.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

But the talent didn't necessarily see it that way. If you haven't read Jericho's book, when he's told he's going to win the cruiserweight title, his reaction is basically, "oh, Christ, please, no," he comments that the belt couldn't mean any less if you bought it from JC Penney, and he wishes he'd just stayed in Japan instead of coming back to WCW.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

George Kaplan posted:

Still say there's room for WWE to replace Superstars with a third brand that's purely smark-orientated. Cruiserweights, tag teams and practically no stories.

Isn't Superstars turning into that?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Isn't Superstars turning into that?

I think thats more a happy coincidence than a serious move, though, since Superstars is marketed to the same crowd as RAW/SD and is just a recap/filler show for the other two.

I could be totally wrong, I never watch Superstars.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

George Kaplan posted:

You mean ECW and its .08 ratings?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

George Kaplan posted:

Still say there's room for WWE to replace Superstars with a third brand that's purely smark-orientated.

ECW on Sci-Fi. It failed.

George Kaplan posted:

Cruiserweights, tag teams and practically no stories.

This is what Velocity was towards the end. Nobody gave a poo poo. Also, TNA before too many old guys showed up. It actually did better ratings than Impact does now with the supposed big stars but not that great. Also, Ring of Honor on HDNet, which most people still don't get from their cable provider.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 15, 2010

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

ECW on Sci-Fi. It failed.

If ECW was smark-oriented, someone should have told some smarks I guess.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I always wondered why the WWE nevert told the people at large about FCW. Its already produced for local TV, why not just put it up on WWE.com atleast.

FCW: The Superstars Of Tommrow!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

I always wondered why the WWE nevert told the people at large about FCW. Its already produced for local TV, why not just put it up on WWE.com atleast.

FCW: The Superstars Of Tommrow!

They change ring names and gimmicks of guys in FCW before bringing them up, and often guys on TV are still in FCW too. It would lead to some confusion.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Hmmmmmm, if they only cared about wrestling, a majority of them would have stayed in the indies. WWE and TNA wrestlers cared about wrestling and more importantly getting paid. If that midget helps increase TV ratings and house show sales, then they will not be complaining about it. You can pretend all that you want that these guys do this simply because they love wrestling, but getting paid is why they signed that big time contract. If something increases their pay above the downside guarantee, then they will be happy with it or they would quit.

I'm sure there are many wrestlers over the course of the PG era that have been frustrated that they're being given the old "creative has nothing for you" because instead of showcasing talent and writing more than one feud per brand they've got a bunch of hack writers who think they're writing for sub-madtv level comedy skit sitcoms instead of wrestling programs and we get Hornswaggle clapping erasers at nuns and McMahon making GBS threads his pants while wearing political stickers.

Instead of focusing on non-wrestling (and supposedly dead, apparently) figures they need to put effort into writing entertaining stuff for their wrestlers to actually be involved in. If they've got to have the stupid skits then stuff like the Sheamus and Santino tea party made sense - it was funny and involved three guys that actually wrestle and were connected at the time. I really can't believe anyone buys a ticket or tunes into the show thinking "Gee I hope that midget gets chased around awkwardly by a Diva tonight!"

To make the big money and have any sort of job security wrestlers need to get over to the point where just being there in the nightly appearance lineup elevates the shows value as part of a collective whole. And to do that they need tv time and something to do in order to get to that point. Sure you can 'make money' just by being a nobody on the roster or jobbing out for years like Chavo but those guys are rare and are kept around for reasons other than becoming a superstar. How many times have wrestlers left in frustration because they've hit their ceiling and know they'll never be given any screen time or room to advance?

I actually think they've been doing a better job of this lately and have been showing improvements here and there (other than the Stand Up For WWE nonsense) but for the sake of the discussion they could still eliminate the throwaway bits and focus on using actual talent and no one would really notice. There are alot of guys on the roster that could be far more over than they are given the time to grow into roles or having some interesting stuff written for them to do. Look at Cody Rhodes for example. Before being given the Dashing gimmick he was boring and bland - and once given something to work with he ran with it and grew into his own.

Probably didn't need to write a book about it but I had lots of thoughts going on at once so here we are. Incredibly long story short: Having a wrestler that is super over and entertaining is much better for house show and merch sales than a non-wrestling midget that kids might chuckle at but ultimately has no bearing on why people buy tickets or PPV's for WWE shows.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 15, 2010

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

I'm sure there are many wrestlers over the course of the PG era that have been frustrated that they're being given the old "creative has nothing for you" because instead of showcasing talent and writing more than one feud per brand they've got a bunch of hack writers who think they're writing for sub-madtv level comedy skit sitcoms instead of wrestling programs and we get Hornswaggle clapping erasers at nuns and McMahon making GBS threads his pants while wearing political stickers.

You're sure, huh? That's a lot to be sure of, just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You're sure, huh? That's a lot to be sure of, just saying.

Obviously that was an just an expression to start the paragraph and wasn't meant to be literal. Next time I'll be sure to start every paragraph of an opinion that I post with a totally non-committal sentence.

Then again how many shoots or even normal interviews have there been from wrestlers from top to bottom of the roster that said they left because of feeling creatively stunted or because of the direction of the company? Many. Well that or they wanted to go somewhere that they could do drugs.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 15, 2010