Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

put on your adventure helmet, it's time for an adventure!

TLG James posted:

Is it possible to get American Airline points applied to your name if you've already purchased the tickets? We had them bought by a travel agent under our name.

Yes, go to the Request Mileage Credit page. Or, from the aa.com homepage, mouse over AAdvantage on the left menu bar, and click on Request Mileage Credit.

Have your itinerary ready. If you haven't done that flight yet, you need to wait 15 days after the last leg to get credit.

Of course, as I recently found out, you need to already be a customer before the flight in order for the miles to count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Here's a question:

Why do some Chevron signs have the red on top?

Almost all Chevron signs have the blue on top, but do a few rare ones have the red on top?

Does anyone know the meaning of this?

Click here for the full 1137x826 image.

Picture info is on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Newchevrongasstation.jpg

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 14, 2010

alan negative
Aug 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
This is a really loving stupid question, but why is it that, if you are on an open cart and jump in the air, the cart leaves without you, but if you do the same thing on a bus or train, the same thing doesn't happen and you don't get slammed to the back?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

alan negative posted:

This is a really loving stupid question, but why is it that, if you are on an open cart and jump in the air, the cart leaves without you, but if you do the same thing on a bus or train, the same thing doesn't happen and you don't get slammed to the back?
Aerodynamic drag. Your flabby self is both less aerodynamic and less massive than a vehicle. Thus drag slows you down faster than it slows the vehicle.

Realistically though if you jump in a moving open-topped vehicle you aren't going anywhere unless it's going really really fast.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 14, 2010

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Aerodynamic drag. Your flabby self is both less aerodynamic and less massive than a vehicle. Thus drag slows you down faster than it slows the vehicle.

Realistically though if you jump in a moving open-topped vehicle you aren't going anywhere unless it's going really really fast.

Ehh, kind of. This is part of the issue, but not really the biggest driving force behind the phenomenon.

In a case where you have a 180lb person in a 20lb cart for example, a significant portion of the mass in this system (90% of it) is your body. If you suddenly remove that mass from the system, then the little 20lb cart has to maintain its momentum. Momentum is a function of mass and velocity, so velocity increases whenever mass is removed.

On a bus, you are a significantly minuscule portion of its total mass. The bus actually does increase in speed when you jump, but the change in mass is proportionally not high enough for you to notice it the little increase in velocity.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mak0rz posted:

Ehh, kind of. This is part of the issue, but not really the biggest driving force behind the phenomenon.
Durr, I read cart as "car."

Do this experiment on a really fast boat and fun stuff happens!

(Don't do this you'll probably die)

alan negative
Aug 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Awesome, thanks for answering my question

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Is there a Skype plugin or something that adds distortion to your voice like when spoken through a walkie-talkie?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

melaneyelia posted:

Yes, go to the Request Mileage Credit page. Or, from the aa.com homepage, mouse over AAdvantage on the left menu bar, and click on Request Mileage Credit.

Have your itinerary ready. If you haven't done that flight yet, you need to wait 15 days after the last leg to get credit.

Of course, as I recently found out, you need to already be a customer before the flight in order for the miles to count.

Sweet, I just have to wait 15 days after the flight I guess.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
My buddies and I decided a few nights ago that 2012's end of the world will come in the form of mass debt slavery. Illegal online actions such as torrent downloading are easily being tracked directly to your name. Things like Facebook make this only more evident. The stronger your online presence, the easier it will be to sue you for infringements. There are currently a hundred billion people in law school right now. They need something to do. There will be a mass, mass lawsuit, suing hundreds of millions of people and everyone will be hit hard. Everyone will fall into debt, creating a permanent underclass.

Simultaneously, in a Brave New World sort of thing, the surging population coupled with the massive and ever-growing popularity of electronic dance music will create a world where the people are enslaved to the music they take soma to and are obsessed with.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would like to ask SA how retarded this theory is.

e: Yes, there will be collaboration. There is the assumption that there will be some massive breakthrough in law enforcement technology, allowing for practically automatic judicial action through the use of some program that can track your entire online presence and automatically fine you for infractions. This will come when your identity is completely linked to your online identity--they are essentially the same thing.

Tostito fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 14, 2010

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Well you're assuming none of those law students have ever torrented themselves, and also that every single one of them would want to fight for the same side. I dunno, with 10 being most retarded, 6 or 7?

Edit: and that's not really "world ending" like the 2012 catastrophe is supposed to be, it'll only affect countries who have the technology to steal, and the laws against said stealing.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

In the matrix movies or any of the other things associated with it, do they ever say why there even needs to be a matrix? I know they explained the human battery thing but I don't think they ever touched on why there even needs to be a simulated reality for everyone.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Something to do with keeping their minds healthy. Morpheus said in the first movie that the machines attempted some sort of virtual utopia for the first matrix program, but it failed and crops of people were lost. Conflict and suffering needed to exist for the mind and body to grow, or something.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Tostito posted:

My buddies and I decided a few nights ago that 2012's end of the world will come in the form of mass debt slavery. Illegal online actions such as torrent downloading are easily being tracked directly to your name. Things like Facebook make this only more evident. The stronger your online presence, the easier it will be to sue you for infringements. There are currently a hundred billion people in law school right now. They need something to do. There will be a mass, mass lawsuit, suing hundreds of millions of people and everyone will be hit hard. Everyone will fall into debt, creating a permanent underclass.

Simultaneously, in a Brave New World sort of thing, the surging population coupled with the massive and ever-growing popularity of electronic dance music will create a world where the people are enslaved to the music they take soma to and are obsessed with.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would like to ask SA how retarded this theory is.

e: Yes, there will be collaboration. There is the assumption that there will be some massive breakthrough in law enforcement technology, allowing for practically automatic judicial action through the use of some program that can track your entire online presence and automatically fine you for infractions. This will come when your identity is completely linked to your online identity--they are essentially the same thing.

How much pot had you smoked that day?

fake edit: 10

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Way, way too much.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
retardedness of theory: 8
retardedness of you posting it on here: 11

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Tostito posted:

There are currently a hundred billion people in law school right now.

My God, really? :psyduck:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
How is the turn-signal clicky noise made?

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Forums related question: where would I ask a question about what to do about something? It is not a small question so it would not be in this thread. And it is not E/N so I would not ask it in E/N.

TL;DR where would I go to ask a longer stupid question?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Forums related question: where would I ask a question about what to do about something? It is not a small question so it would not be in this thread. And it is not E/N so I would not ask it in E/N.

TL;DR where would I go to ask a longer stupid question?

:eng101: You're posting in a thread that's located in a forum made just for that!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Let me know if I should post somewhere in SH/SC instead.

My computer occasionally tells me it wants to close a program or two to free up some resources. Thing is, it doesn't seem like it should be using anywhere near the maximum amount of RAM I have. I've got 4 gigs, running Windows 7 64-bit. In Task Manager's Performance tab, it says I'm using about 3 GB, but if I add everything in the Processes tab, it comes out to less than a gig (986472 KB). What's the deal?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

How long does it take a letter and or small package to be delivered from the US to a soldier in Iraq?

Anyone?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

Anyone?

Less than a week, in my experience.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Pontius Pilate posted:

How is the turn-signal clicky noise made?

I'm not 100% positive that this is the case anymore, but back in the day, it was the sound of the turn signal relay circuit engaging and disengaging.

It's probably digital now though.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

I need new glasses, but I want to go to a new glasses store. How do I get my glasses measurements from my current store without seeming like a jerk?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

aude omnia posted:

I need new glasses, but I want to go to a new glasses store. How do I get my glasses measurements from my current store without seeming like a jerk?

Please give me my prescription.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I don't have a facebook, but there are supposedly pictures of me on facebook. Bear with me if this question makes no sense, because I literally know next to nothing about the site. I think there is a thing called "tagging" people in a photo? What does that mean? Can it only be done for someone who has an account, i.e. your name shows up as a hyperlink under the photo and people can click on it to see your page? Or can your name be "tagged" meaning that if someone searches for you, they might find a tagged picture despite you not having an account?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Tagging a person who doesn't have a Facebook account doesn't result in a link, it just shows up as regular text. I don't think that it's searchable but I really don't know that for sure.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
A question for the ladies:

My female housemate has a small plastic teapot-like item (with a nice cover for it) in the bathroom cupboard.
Im loathe to ask what it is because that may be embarassing to her.

I cannot find a picture of it on Google because Im not sure what it is.

Is it a douche??

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ImmortalYawn posted:

A question for the ladies:

My female housemate has a small plastic teapot-like item (with a nice cover for it) in the bathroom cupboard.
Im loathe to ask what it is because that may be embarassing to her.

I cannot find a picture of it on Google because Im not sure what it is.

Is it a douche??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_pot maybe?

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Loopyface posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_pot maybe?

Wow, that looks very very similar, I would say thats it!! Thanks heaps!

Also eww (boogie pot)

(edit: yes i have seen douches and have touched girls before.)

BART IM PISS fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 15, 2010

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby
I always have bags under my eyes. Most days they are very dark, however on the rare occasion that I do squeeze a decent amount of sleep, these bags remain prominent although not quite as discoloured. It's actually really unattractive and I seem to have had an unusually extreme case of eyebags for many many years now.
How do I fix my bags?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I'm curious, what the hell does ending a sentence with "~" mean (just the tilde, not including the quotation marks)?

I know some people who do this constantly online but I don't really get it. They play a lot of MMOs together so I'm guessing it's some thing done in chat?

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I think it's a more of an Asian thing. I see it as an Asian equivalent of ending sentences with "..." in the western world.

Like you know... how like... every Myspace profile looks like this...

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

fishmech posted:

Except that if mass is showing up, mass is being added somehow. The fact that the American copy isn't changing in mass relative to the master copy indicates that it's not a property inherent to all the copies. As you said either the original is losing mass or some of the copies or gaining mass right? Well how would the original lose mass? Nothing that's plausible. How could copies gain mass? Various stuff getting stuck to them. Simple case.

We do want to know how certain countries get gunk onto their kilograms but it's clear it's happened.

Except, if I understand it correctly, the discrepancies are measured after cleaning. And some have lost mass relative to the IPK.

How would it lose mass? Who knows. Perhaps some quantum mechanical fuckery is going on that we don't know about. It simply could be that the IPK is gaining mass at a slower rate than the others. But at present we simply have no way of knowing, without counting every single molecule in the IPK.

Wikipedia posted:

It is also clear that the mass of the IPK lost perhaps 50 µg over the last century, and possibly significantly more, in comparison to its official copies. The reason for this drift has eluded physicists who have dedicated their careers to the SI unit of mass. No plausible mechanism has been proposed to explain either a steady decrease in the mass of the IPK, or an increase in that of its replicas dispersed throughout the world.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I have a PC laptop and some external drives that I am giving away. I want to one pass zero the drives for privacy reasons

WHat's the best tool for this? AFAICT the windows XP on the laptop is virus infected so I am not sure I trust the OS to do this properly.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

facepalmolive posted:

I think it's a more of an Asian thing. I see it as an Asian equivalent of ending sentences with "..." in the western world.

Like you know... how like... every Myspace profile looks like this...

Makes sense, they're pretty hooked on the JRPG thing right now.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

change my name posted:

In the matrix movies or any of the other things associated with it, do they ever say why there even needs to be a matrix? I know they explained the human battery thing but I don't think they ever touched on why there even needs to be a simulated reality for everyone.

It goes into the whole dualism debate in the Matrix. Are minds and bodies one, or are they distinct? IIRC, The Architect says that the first Matrix was a paradise, but it was rejected by people's minds, and "entire crops were lost." In other words, the humans knew something was wrong with it, and their minds would not accept the simulation as reality. So, they had to make it flawed so that it more accurately represented what human brains thought reality should resemble.

Presumably, they had to keep the brain engaged in this fashion, or otherwise the body will shut down.

Also, there's a theory that the human brains are powering a massive distributed computer, that the Matrix is a required aspect of machine life. Maybe in that 65% of our brains we supposedly don't use, and aren't really using to power our bodies while hooked in, are being used as millions of parallel processors. We know they can visit there, and some choose to live there. There doesn't appear to be discrimination between programs within and without the Matrix, though I remember Smith saying he wanted out, so perhaps agents are confined, at least until they complete their task. There also doesn't appear, based on what I recall, discrimination between pure programs and machines.

And remember the source - Morpheus, while thinking he knows the truth, obviously does not know many things. He says humans are used as batteries, "combined with a form of fusion." But that doesn't really make sense. He could easily be wrong; perhaps humans aren't batteries, they're CPUs and memory chips. Neo tells the Architect, "You need us;" the Architect responds, "There are levels of survival we're prepared to accept." It's not just about power. It's about living.

And, finally, perhaps machines are simply curious about their progenitors and maintain a simulation to learn more about them.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 15, 2010

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

NaturalLow posted:

I'm curious, what the hell does ending a sentence with "~" mean (just the tilde, not including the quotation marks)?

I know some people who do this constantly online but I don't really get it. They play a lot of MMOs together so I'm guessing it's some thing done in chat?

It can also mean a lightheartedness to it, sorta like you're saying something with a smirk on your face or a smile. Or sort of a "friendly" thing. It's almost like putting :) on the end except not quite.

It's not really like ... when you see people speaking English doing it, although don't know if it's like that for other languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

A drat FOG posted:

I don't have a facebook, but there are supposedly pictures of me on facebook. Bear with me if this question makes no sense, because I literally know next to nothing about the site. I think there is a thing called "tagging" people in a photo? What does that mean? Can it only be done for someone who has an account, i.e. your name shows up as a hyperlink under the photo and people can click on it to see your page? Or can your name be "tagged" meaning that if someone searches for you, they might find a tagged picture despite you not having an account?

I know somebody who is not on facebook, but is tagged in a few photos. I just had a look and cannot seem to find a way to search for her or link any of the several photos in which she is tagged. You appear to be safe from that.

As for what "tagging" itself, it's like labeling a picture. A list of people in the photo is shown underneath the image. If you hover your mouse over a person's name, they are highlighted in the image with a white box. If they have a facebook profile then their name appears as a link which takes you to their profile or additional pictures of them.