Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Sniep posted:

Just downloaded the android APP

I havent used echolink in ages tho, what do i do? lol

Connect to node 548360, or you are asking a more specific question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW

nmfree posted:

FYI it's illegal to play any kind of music over the air (unless incidental to rebroadcasting a space shuttle transmission).

No poo poo? I don't believe I've ever heard that before. No, siree.

Lighten up a bit, it's that kind of attitude (the "Oh No Someone Might Possibly Violate A Rule Under Its Strictest Interpretation" stuff) that ruins the hobby for young people who might want to have some fun and not take it as always being Serious Business. Under a super strict interpretation of "music" (which Part 97 neglects to define), many repeater courtesy tones would probably be illegal (see the example wav files inside the .zip linked from this page).

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

TNLTRPB posted:

No poo poo? I don't believe I've ever heard that before. No, siree.

Lighten up a bit, it's that kind of attitude (the "Oh No Someone Might Possibly Violate A Rule Under Its Strictest Interpretation" stuff) that ruins the hobby for young people who might want to have some fun and not take it as always being Serious Business. Under a super strict interpretation of "music" (which Part 97 neglects to define), many repeater courtesy tones would probably be illegal (see the example wav files inside the .zip linked from this page).

I don't think nmfree was going OF on you there, I think it's more a case of trying to avoid copyrighted sounds like horns.aiff that are easily recognizable. Having the repeater play a short, original courtesy tone is one thing, while having it play a random bass interlude from Seinfeld is another.

I would have said the same thing if I'd heard a specific idea posted that possibly could have been a violation of the rules. If it were up to me all of the repeater announcements and courtesy tones would be clips from Tourette's Guy, but it only takes one OF to rally the hamabout calvary and cause someone to lose their license. poo poo, I wouldn't doubt it if the Zed started treating us like they do the folks at Hamsexy after we all get on the air a few times.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Are you sure the FCC is being serious in Part 97 when they talk about no music? After all, SA has a sub-forum titled "No Music Discussion", but yet, they discuss music there. :downsrim:

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

dv6speed posted:

Are you sure the FCC is being serious in Part 97 when they talk about no music? After all, SA has a sub-forum titled "No Music Discussion", but yet, they discuss music there. :downsrim:

Does that only apply to prerecorded tunes, or would I get turned in to the FCC for singing CQ?

I need clarification before I go all Pavarotti on 40m.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

make the tone a SSTV partial, which is just rainbow but sounds like music.

Or rebroadcast the space shuttle but I don't think they have any good tunes.

Also singing I'm pretty sure counts but happy birthday doesn't, but people will be kc's about it.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Partycat posted:

Also singing I'm pretty sure counts but happy birthday doesn't, but people will be kc's about it.

How the hell does Happy Birthday not count?

I'm pretty sure it's still under copyright by Warner. I guess OFs are always right, even when they're wrong.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

xergm posted:

How the hell does Happy Birthday not count?

I'm pretty sure it's still under copyright by Warner. I guess OFs are always right, even when they're wrong.

Back in MY day we wished people a happy birthday using CW at 45 wpm!

Speaking of OF and KCs, there's a thread over at QRZ where someone asked if it was worth it to upgrade to Extra class and some old loving prick replies 'Sure, it's not like it used to be. They'll give an Extra ticket to ANYONE these days'.

What?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
No-Code Extras REPRESENT

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
No-code Extra representing!

Smugness was had when I did it my first try in front of a few OFs :smug:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

dv6speed posted:

Connect to node 548360, or you are asking a more specific question?

Unfortunately all the repeaters, links users and conferences dont seem to have numeric names, but callsign like names.

Like I said, ive not used echolink before, so I think I am missing something here.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
REPRAZENTING THA NO CODEZ POSSE

We should make it a bylaw of SAARS that only no-codes are allowed to join since we all hate beeping and booping.

Sniep posted:

Unfortunately all the repeaters, links users and conferences dont seem to have numeric names, but callsign like names.

Like I said, ive not used echolink before, so I think I am missing something here.

IF you're trying to connect to TNLTRPB's node, his call is WX5WTF. It doesn't look like his node is online right now though.

They give all users a node number, but I don't know exactly where to find that on the main client, much less the Droid app...

EDIT: In the PC version, if you hover your mouse over the call, it pops up a little window with details, including the node number.

EDIT 2: Wrong call. I can't read the thread worth a poo poo.

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 15, 2010

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Sniep posted:

The computer software allows you to connect to a specific node number. I can't speak about the Android app.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

BigHustle posted:

IF you're trying to connect to TNLTRPB's node, his call is KC9RTZ. It doesn't look like his node is online right now though.
This is incorrect.

Node: 548360
Call: WX5WTF-L

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW

BigHustle posted:

I don't think nmfree was going OF on you there, I think it's more a case of trying to avoid copyrighted sounds like horns.aiff that are easily recognizable. Having the repeater play a short, original courtesy tone is one thing, while having it play a random bass interlude from Seinfeld is another.

Yeah that's what happens when I come home from work and am about half asleep when reading stuff. Apologies.

Anyway those of you that have been using it, stay tuned for changes to the message that plays when you connect and stuff.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

dv6speed posted:

This is incorrect.

Node: 548360
Call: WX5WTF-L
Cool, I see it by the call sign now. Im on it but it doesnt seem to be active / I cant TX. Ill keep trying.

Edit: I've got it - the TX button looked grayed out but it wasn't.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 15, 2010

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Oh Dear. Someone on the local Sunday night net made a contact with them today.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
God drat this thread lit up over the weekend. I'm trying out the Echolink android app, but it doesn't let me use my callsign; even though I've been verified it keeps wanting me to sign up for an account. What gives?

EDIT: It's working now. So I can't just key in the node number and connect that way?

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 15, 2010

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I'm not a loving lawyer, so I don't know how to properly notate this, but in Part 97.5, B it says this:

quote:

(2) A club station license grant. A club station license grant may be held only by the person who is the license trustee designated by an officer of the club. The trustee must be a person who holds an Amateur Extra, Advanced, General, Technician Plus, or Technician operator license grant. The club must be composed of at least four persons and must have a name, a document of organization, management, and a primary purpose devoted to amateur service activities consistent with this part.

From what I can tell so far, there are no specific requirements as to the organizational structure. As far as the FCC and ARRL are concerned I'm the trustee of the club station license, and BigHustle is the responsible party. This does not necessarily mean we have to be officers of the club, although it seems evident that we are willing to do do so. Dijkstra volunteered to be an officer as well in his message to the club email address.

Based on the amount of emails sitting in the gmail inbox, we already pass the requirement of having more then 4 members.

As far as a purpose, I think we could say our mission statement has three points.

1. To bring humor to Amateur Radio.
2. To encourage more members of the younger generation to get involved with Amateur Radio.
3. To provide fellowship among the ham radio operators of the Something Awful forums.

So what I'm saying here is we need to figure out exactly how many officers we need, elect them, and then have those officers hold some type of meeting to conduct the initial club business and put the bureaucratic bullshit in writing.

In the mean time, I'll comb thru Part 97 and find anything else relating to clubs. If anyone has any better info on any of this, speak up.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

dv6speed posted:

I'm not a loving lawyer, so I don't know how to properly notate this, but in Part 97.5, B it says this:

From what I can tell so far, there are no specific requirements as to the organizational structure. As far as the FCC and ARRL are concerned I'm the trustee of the club station license, and BigHustle is the responsible party. This does not necessarily mean we have to be officers of the club, although it seems evident that we are willing to do do so. Dijkstra volunteered to be an officer as well in his message to the club email address.

Based on the amount of emails sitting in the gmail inbox, we already pass the requirement of having more then 4 members.

As far as a purpose, I think we could say our mission statement has three points.

1. To bring humor to Amateur Radio.
2. To encourage more members of the younger generation to get involved with Amateur Radio.
3. To provide fellowship among the ham radio operators of the Something Awful forums.

So what I'm saying here is we need to figure out exactly how many officers we need, elect them, and then have those officers hold some type of meeting to conduct the initial club business and put the bureaucratic bullshit in writing.

In the mean time, I'll comb thru Part 97 and find anything else relating to clubs. If anyone has any better info on any of this, speak up.

I elect myself as defacto leader and will be referred to as Fuhrer Ubercommandante Czar King BigHustle. Any and all challengers will be welcome to do battle with me, for my neckbeard is long and silky and my B.O. is strong.

FAKE EDIT: I am well stocked with Cheetos and Mountain Dew, so sieges will be ineffective.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

dv6speed posted:

According to one of the League's publications on this page, there needs to be 4 officers (Pres., V.P., Sec., and Treas.) but they don't say (and I don't know) whether that's a League thing or something for Uncle Charlie. Otherwise, their docs are surprisingly unhelpful as to the nitty gritty of setting up a new club; they're (unsurprisingly) more worried about getting people set us as affiliated clubs.

BigHustle posted:

Any and all challengers will be welcome to do battle with me, for my neckbeard is long and silky and my B.O. is strong.
Ah, but my neckbeard is unkempt and bristly, and my B.O. violates several aritcles of the Geneva Convention.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

TC the Giant posted:

God drat this thread lit up over the weekend. I'm trying out the Echolink android app, but it doesn't let me use my callsign; even though I've been verified it keeps wanting me to sign up for an account. What gives?

EDIT: It's working now. So I can't just key in the node number and connect that way?

I couldn't find a node number means, but using the call worked. Although its really quiet, max volume on my media output on my galaxy S is barely listenable (have to hold the speakerphone up to my ear)

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

nmfree posted:

Ah, but my neckbeard is unkempt and bristly, and my B.O. violates several aritcles of the Geneva Convention.

My moustache acts as a filter to block any and all air contaminates. BRING IT ON!

nmfree posted:

According to one of the League's publications on this page, there needs to be 4 officers (Pres., V.P., Sec., and Treas.) but they don't say (and I don't know) whether that's a League thing or something for Uncle Charlie. Otherwise, their docs are surprisingly unhelpful as to the nitty gritty of setting up a new club; they're (unsurprisingly) more worried about getting people set us as affiliated clubs.

The ARRL is like a vampire, It is only interested in getting new blood. I think this is supposed to be one of those 'copy those around you' kind of things. The good thing here is we won't have any club equipment or actual meetings to plan, other than EchoLink or HF nets. That cuts out the gavel and voting 'yea' and 'nay' at a big important meeting like some of the clubs love to do, but who needs that poo poo anyway?

I signed the paperwork as the 'responsible club official', but I have no loving clue exactly what that means since I'm neither responsible nor official. I suppose that means that I should be on the roster of 'officials' somewhere, where I don't really care. I have no problem being the Starscream to someone else's Megatron.

So, are we gonna try and take some kind of vote, do people want to volunteer, or what?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Awful Radio Relay League

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

blugu64 posted:

Awful Radio Relay League

Where were you before I mailed the paperwork off? :argh:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

blugu64 posted:

Awful Radio Relay League

Owns

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Now that I think about it...

Would they want us as an affiliated club with a name like that?

Also, I nominate Leonard J. Crabs as head legal counsel.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I think if we tried to name ourselves ARRL, the real ARRL would send out some type of death squad after us.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I don't qualify for any kind of officership, since I don't have a neckbeard (neatly trimmed Van Dyke), I maintain proper hygiene, I don't drink soda (and don't even like Mountain Dew), and actually get dates occasionally.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

I passed code like 8 years ago so I don't either. :(

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

AstroZamboni posted:

I don't qualify for any kind of officership, since I don't have a neckbeard (neatly trimmed Van Dyke), I maintain proper hygiene, I don't drink soda (and don't even like Mountain Dew), and actually get dates occasionally.

I may, I'm currenty sporting a neckbeard and drink soda. My downfall is I shower (sorry) and get continous dates since I'm married. I can do a half-rear end position, backup backup net coordinator? On my resume I was President of my college's radio club and ran their weekly net. Too bad their node seems to have fallen off the planet, would be the perfect node for this. I use to have college check-ins from all over, it was strange having a amateur radio net where most participants were under 40!

I also passed code to get General, in amateur radio land that makes me cooler.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Does running Windows 95 in VirtualBox count for officership?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Speaking of code...

There was an OF bitching on an area repeater last night about the FCC ruined ham radio by killing off the CW requirement for licenses. Someone asked him when he got his license and he said in the mid 70s. They then asked when he last used code and he said 'I only learned it to pass the license exam'.

OK, I can understand someone who actually USES CW complaining about the changes, but that comment just reeks of elitist bullshit. People like that would rather see the hobby die than change just because they think that since they had to do something means that everyone until the end of time should have to do it too.

Someone told him to go back down to 11m since they didn't like his kind on the REAL ham bands and he got all pissy and left. Apparently the St Louis area has more tolerant hams than Jersey did.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

BigHustle posted:

St Louis area

What repeater system are you on? When I'm not down at school in Cape Girardeau, I love about 30 miles to the east of STL. I doubt I'd be able to hit anything very well, but having a Goon relatively close might be a push for me to get some sort of cheap VHF/UHF rig. Although I'd still like to hold off for HF.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

xergm posted:

What repeater system are you on? When I'm not down at school in Cape Girardeau, I love about 30 miles to the east of STL. I doubt I'd be able to hit anything very well, but having a Goon relatively close might be a push for me to get some sort of cheap VHF/UHF rig. Although I'd still like to hold off for HF.

I listen in on several, but the one run by the club I joined is K0AMC, which is located in High Ridge, MO. I'm about 5-7 miles east of the repeater, which is about 30 miles west of St Louis. You might be able to hit the repeater if you picked up a rig with some decent output and got an antenna up high enough. We have one guy in the club who lives just outside of O'Fallon, IL that runs the 6m and 10m nets through the UHF links. He's about 60 miles west of the repeater, but I think he also has a tower up with a beam on it.

EDIT: Jesus, I can't type for poo poo tonight.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

nmfree posted:

According to one of the League's publications on this page, there needs to be 4 officers (Pres., V.P., Sec., and Treas.) but they don't say (and I don't know) whether that's a League thing or something for Uncle Charlie.

In their article about club constitutions, it says that it's important to list the specific duties of each officer - which is good advice - but I don't think those role names are an absolute mandate. If the club has a "Führer Übercommandante Czar King", an "Evil Prince(ss)", a "Tall Hatted Scribe", a "Keeper of the Precious Booty", and "The One Who is Given all Blame and Glory for Acts Committed upon the Luminiferous Aether", that is just as informative as Pres., V.P., Sec., Treas. and Trustee. All that matters is that when asked for the "President" or the "Trustee" on official forms, one knows who that translates into in the club.

For example, in my local club, the V.P. is tasked with organizing work, while the deputy member is responsible for licensing classes. In other clubs, the same roles names might have quite different duties.

Vir fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 16, 2010

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

I have my node on the dedicated server setup. Okay it's not really a "server" but it's a pretty fast workstation that will do nothing but be an echolink node.

Send email to the club email (saars.ag0on@gmail.com) for the node number. Sorry to be a poo poo but I really don't want to post my callsign. BigHustle and dv6speed also have the info.

I have to run out but there will hopefully be some people on tonight. I will try to join in if anyone is there when I get back. TNLTRPB if you want to conference your node in please do, I have it setup for multi-conference ( I think) so it should work.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

dv6speed posted:

I think if we tried to name ourselves ARRL, the real ARRL would send out some type of death squad after us.

yeah but we'd hear their Rascal scooters and the VHF noise cloud of their bitching coming from miles away

oh also make the courtesy tone 1sec of clapping and cheering.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 16, 2010

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Dijkstra posted:

Send email to the club email (saars.ag0on@gmail.com) for the node number. Sorry to be a poo poo but I really don't want to post my callsign. BigHustle and dv6speed also have the info.
If you've already sent the club an email, no need for a second one. I'll send it out shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 28, 2019