Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I seriously cannot believe that people are saying Kanye is a black supremacist because he told some white people his music was better.

He also said Eminem was the hottest MC number 1 and forever so what does that say?

I'll tell you- it's not about black and white, he says loving dumb poo poo no matter what the race. It's just that he's on top of hip hop at the moment so there is no need to talk poo poo to that genre. So he's left with talking poo poo about other things. Other things are dominated by white people. Case closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
I was thinking about this today. Not just Grammies, race poo poo, or anything in particular but just how hard Kanye cares about what he is doing to the point where he loses it because reality does not match his idealist vision. Awards shows are cynical and don't represent the best music or art or workmanship of that time period as much as Kanye believes they should.
We aren't used to POP stars in our era actually believing in what they do to the extent Kanye does, and most people kind of don't want to get used to it and get all kinds of flustered when he makes bold statements either with words directly or with artistic decisions or whatever.

edit: what i guess I'm saying is I understand when he tries to explain that his comments about GWB or Taylor Swift were coming from a positive place and he didnt mean to hurt anyone because he really seems to not be ironic or cynical or backhanded about anything he does. It's pretty much all genuine, even when he talks about excesses and does the whole Kanye ego thing that everybody loving HATES.

teacup posted:

I seriously cannot believe that people are saying Kanye is a black supremacist because he told some white people his music was better.

He also said Eminem was the hottest MC number 1 and forever so what does that say?

I'll tell you- it's not about black and white, he says loving dumb poo poo no matter what the race. It's just that he's on top of hip hop at the moment so there is no need to talk poo poo to that genre. So he's left with talking poo poo about other things. Other things are dominated by white people. Case closed.

This.
Also, "reverse racism." :bahgawd:

Bubble Bathory fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 15, 2010

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

cardedagain posted:

Second off: Paul's white. another white person. Kanye publicly talks poo poo to white people more than any other race. case closed.

There are proportionally several times more white people in the music industry, particularly when dealing with things like grammies, so this would be entirely expected?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Let's get off the race nonsense.

The album is good and growing on me, but how can anybody say this is album of the year, or even decade (which is just silly) when Big Boi freakin killed it earlier in the year. Hip Hop fans have such short term memory sometimes (unless y'all just didn't like it, but that just doesn't seem possible).

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've talked so much trash about both Kanye and Jay-Z in the last couple of years, but i'm listening to So Appalled and a couple of other of the tracks from this album and i've never been so pleased to be proven wrong in my life, they've both been absolutely killing it lately and I'm really excited for this to be released from what i've heard so far.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

zandert33 posted:

The album is good and growing on me, but how can anybody say this is album of the year, or even decade (which is just silly) when Big Boi freakin killed it earlier in the year. Hip Hop fans have such short term memory sometimes (unless y'all just didn't like it, but that just doesn't seem possible).

It's almost like different people have different tastes.

But I agree (sort of). Big Boi's album was beastly. I'll have to give it time before I decide which one I like better.

Hamsfield
Feb 19, 2008

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I've talked so much trash about both Kanye and Jay-Z in the last couple of years, but i'm listening to So Appalled and a couple of other of the tracks from this album and i've never been so pleased to be proven wrong in my life, they've both been absolutely killing it lately and I'm really excited for this to be released from what i've heard so far.

So Appalled is the best track released this year from anyone doing anything, end of story.

mcppants
May 2, 2005
bloody tampon popsicle
So Appalled and Runaway are sick nasty and I still think Power has the most raw beat UH ALL TIME

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I'm a bit confused - what is GOOD Friday? Is it another album coming out? Are these tracks he's still releasing going on a new album or..? And what's this Watch the Throne thing?

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
I was worried this album was gonna end up bloated and overblown... it is, but that's pretty much what makes it awesome.

(Jay-Z's verse on Monster is really awful :( )

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

nationalista posted:

Is this a joke

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

zandert33 posted:

Well said man, I was blown away by Big Boi's album and I've loved Outkast forever and prefer him to Andre, but everything on that album, production, his flows, subject matter was amazing. Then a month goes by and people start that ridiculous hip-hop is dead poo poo. Race nonsense and Something Awful, always a bad combination.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

teacup posted:

Is this a joke

I really didn't need to know that his achilles heel was "love"

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

NicelyNice posted:

Well, it's more that he can't get enough of it.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

NicelyNice posted:

But he doesn't get enough of it.

Edit: drat! Beaten like Kanye's fictional baby mama

Sulphuric Sundae fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 15, 2010

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

NicelyNice posted:

"Luuuhhhhhhvvve"

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

zandert33 posted:

I enjoyed Big Boi's album, but it's just not that memorable of an album.

stratdax posted:

I'm a bit confused - what is GOOD Friday? Is it another album coming out? Are these tracks he's still releasing going on a new album or..? And what's this Watch the Throne thing?

G.O.O.D. Friday is more like a mixtape than an album. He releases a new track every Friday @ http://www.kanyewest.com/ and he'll probably never release a full album with all of them because it's a whole lot of samples he would have to get cleared. Watch the Throne is his new collaboration album with Jay-Z, which will probably be out Q1-ish next year.

e: Apparently Kanye actually brought a ballerina on stage with him when he performed in Abu Dhabi :psyduck:

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 15, 2010

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby
I have only given the album two full playthroughs, and whilst I enjoy it, it seriously sounds like this was mastered by homeless children pulled off of the streets or some poo poo. I've listened to it at v0 and vbr encodes and tracks like monster just sound so loving irritating. It actually gets me a little angry, because I know it shouldn't sound so tacky, there's no good reason for it.
Is it just me? Please don't tell me I've just gone insane.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Dick Danger posted:

I have only given the album two full playthroughs, and whilst I enjoy it, it seriously sounds like this was mastered by homeless children pulled off of the streets or some poo poo. I've listened to it at v0 and vbr encodes and tracks like monster just sound so loving irritating. It actually gets me a little angry, because I know it shouldn't sound so tacky, there's no good reason for it.

Is THIS a troll? The production is second-to-none..

I'm in love with this album and I've never dug Kanye much before. Been looping this and the new Cudi for a few days now.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

nationalista posted:

I was worried this album was gonna end up bloated and overblown... it is, but that's pretty much what makes it awesome.

Yeah, Jay-Z's verse on Monster really keeps the song from being legendary. Same thing with his verse on "So Appalled." Both verses seem to be a mix of really tried rap themes and taking the topic of the song too literal, with no creative word play. It really sticks out in Monster.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 15, 2010

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

Jay has been phoning it in for a while now which is too bad because I like him too. I can't compare Kanye and Big Boi because they are just real different. Depending on mood I'll play one of them or The Roots. That is what is so drat great about hip-hop is that it is so varied and there is something to play for every day and mood.

I have an album of all the music he sampled a couple years ago and it introduced me to some artiest I never heard of before. This is why hip-hop will never die, it adapted to the times, it appeals to many rich poor black white Asian Arab it is international. Right now I can turn to the French MTV and hear from hip-hop, same for my German and Turkish channels. A Dutch rapper Brainpower did a duet with Nas and I love it.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Dick Danger posted:

People like you shouldn't listen to music.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
What's the sample at the beginning of Runaway saying, or where it's from? I thought it was "LOOK AT YA" but a lot of people are saying it's "WHO GOT YA". Doesn't really matter at all but it was on my mind.

edit - yeah, that's the first time I've ever seen anyone say that this album was mastered badly. I've read 100s of comments saying that even if they didn't like the music, they thought it was mastered very well.

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 15, 2010

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Mutation posted:

Yeah, Jay-Z's verse on Monster really keeps the song from being legendary. Same thing with his verse on "So Appalled." Both verses seem to be a mix of really tried rap themes and taking the topic of the song too literal, with no creative word play. It really sticks out in Monster.

:psyduck: Do you fools listen to music or do you skim through it?

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!

Dick Danger posted:

Then you must really hate The Black Keys.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Final Fart Buttball posted:

What's the sample at the beginning of Runaway saying, or where it's from? I thought it was "LOOK AT YA" but a lot of people are saying it's "WHO GOT YA". Doesn't really matter at all but it was on my mind.

It's LOOK AT CHA I'm pretty sure. It's from Rick James' performance of "Mary Jane" off of his live album (DVD? I dunno what it is) "Live in Long Beach" I'm pretty sure.

e: Yep, found it on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTChzv6UPEI&feature=player_embedded#t=03m08s

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 15, 2010

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

GET MONEY posted:

Haha perfect time to drop that well done. And Brett great job in this thread man, very informative stuff you stay on top of everything.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

GET MONEY posted:

Both songs have been on heavy rotation for me since they were on Good Friday and Jay Z is weak in both of them. On Monster, he's silly. On So Appalled, he's dull and cliche.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 15, 2010

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.

Mutation posted:

Both songs have been on heavy rotation for me since they were on Good Friday and Jay Z is weak in both of them. On Monster, he's silly. On So Appalled, he's cliche'd.

I totally didn't even notice Jay-Z was weak on Monster because I loving love that track. Minaj is insane.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat I think Jay slays it with both verses, on Monster though he's just eclipsed by Nicki's amazing verse. But this is some awesome stuff from Jay especially after Blueprint 3 which I hated.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

THAT'S THE JOKE.
I feel like I hear a lot of people saying they don't like Nicki Minaj except when they hear her verse on Monster and that song she did with Eminem or whatever else. It's like maybe you do like her then?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I don't like Jay's Monster verse either. Especially the beginning where he lists off a bunch of literal famous monsters, then says "what do these have in common-EVERYBODY KNOWS I'M A MUTHAFUCKIN MONSTA"

that makes NO SENSE GODDAMNIT.

I like his delivery on So Appalled a lot though.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

So who plays the guitar on Devil in a New Dress? It's fantastic.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Mutation posted:

95% chance it's Mike Dean.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mutation posted:

Lil' Wayne (joking)

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Okay guys call me crazy but I think Rick Ross' verse on DIAND is actually one of the best features on the album. Firstly, his voice obviously works really well with the beat and feel of the end of the song, but more importantly the way he juxtaposes these images of fame and excess (his "Devil in a New Dress") with images of his isolation and desperation is just brilliant.

quote:

Cherry red chariot
Excess is just my character
All black tux, nigga shoes lavender
I never needed acceptance from all you outsiders
Gettin' Tupac money twice over
Still a real nigga red gucci sweater dice roller
I'm makin' love to the angel of death
Catchin' feelins, never stumble retracin' my steps

I don't know if I'm being crazy here but after listening closely it's so well done.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 16, 2010

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
Rick Ross has been getting better with every album he's released. I'm glad that Kanye put this feature on. It definitely added to what was already a good song. Don't think you're crazy. Ross is the real deal. Aside from all that Officer Ricky poo poo.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Rick Ross started being great once he changed his voice, made enough money to hire the best ghostwriters, and decided to go full-on symphonic for his production. I'm not hating, I think Deeper Than Rap is one of the most overlooked albums from the previous decade. The first half, at least.

Heard
Oct 22, 2010

SkandalousPanda posted:

Rick Ross has been getting better with every album he's released. I'm glad that Kanye put this feature on. It definitely added to what was already a good song. Don't think you're crazy. Ross is the real deal. Aside from all that Officer Ricky poo poo.

Man, the beats Rozay's on he was almost tailor made for. "Devil in a New Dress", forget about it.

--

However, I've never vibed with an entire Kanye album. I think there are a few standout tracks on this album, most notably "So Appalled" (the swizzy beat is redonculous), but I don't think this album is classic. Kanye's flow is better than it's ever been ("Gorgeous" :eek:), and a few of the beats are good, but I don't call this classic. I do think the production isn't perfect. It's too loud or something else. I don't like how they did this. So, overall, I'd give this album an average rating. It certainly, to my mind, does not deserve anywhere near the accolades it's been getting.

I think the album is dark, overly so, and I don't think "Runaway" is a banger. It's lethargic with amateurish singing; I might not turn it if it pops up on the radio, but half of the reason for that is the intrigue the internet builds on his music, and I don't think he has the best stuff. I expect to see better releases from other mainstream rappers.

Heard fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Heard posted:

I think the album is dark, overly so

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

• Locked thread