Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I got Patrician 3 in a pack including Port Royale 2 and Tortuga as well, but when installed it looks EXACTLY inside the game like Patrician 2 (which I got from GOG), what the hell?

Is Patrician 3 on GOG also that way, or did I get a strangely identified Patrician 2 or what?
Still, it was worth it for Port Royale 2 and another game for less than the cost on GOG for either Pat 3 or Port Royale 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Yeah Patrician 3 is actually Patrician 2 with its expansion pack, which were released separately in germany but combined for the international release.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
drat. So GOG is selling Patrician 2 with expansion for more than for Patrician 2 AND Patrician 1? Hahah.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Patrician 3 is easily the best version of the series (I haven't played 4) so there's really no reason to ever play the first two, anyway.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

Hogburto posted:

I'd wager "Doom clone" came before "first-person shooter."

Yep.

(without actually delving into the Google Group archives, I'd wager that the few tiny squiggles for "first person shooter" pre-Doom are used in a different context)

Hogburto posted:

Edit: Actually, another game gets credit for deathmatch. But man, it doesn't get more esoteric than a 1987 game using MIDI ports for networking.

If you're talking about MIDI Maze, I'd hardly describe it as "esoteric" - it was pretty much the Super Mario Brothers 3 of the Atari ST, the game everyone either had or played at their friend's house every day. Certainly no more esoteric than videogaming in general in the late 80s.

uncle wrinkles fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 15, 2010

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups
Call me back when they have manhunter and quest for glory.

Thanks

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Johnnyonoes posted:

Call me back when they have manhunter and quest for glory.

Thanks

But you don't have platinum and haven't filled out any contact info! This looks like a job for Internet Detective Agency.

I hope the Pro Pinball games end up in a sale bundle without a bunch of other stuff sometime soon- the pinball thread has me itching for some new tables/games to play.

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

Dirk Muscleton posted:

Yep.

(without actually delving into the Google Group archives, I'd wager that the few tiny squiggles for "first person shooter" pre-Doom are used in a different context)

If you're talking about MIDI Maze, I'd hardly describe it as "esoteric" - it was pretty much the Super Mario Brothers 3 of the Atari ST, the game everyone either had or played at their friend's house every day. Certainly no more esoteric than videogaming in general in the late 80s.

I like how the use of "Doom clone" drops off as soon as Quake is released.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 2!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yes, just what everyone expected, but were still heavily anticipating.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Given that we have been graced with BG2, one of my very favorite games and by my lights the best thing Bioware has ever made, here are a couple of good mods that even beginning players should find useful.

First and foremost is Dungeon-B-Gone, which adds an NPC to the very beginning of the game that can teleport you outside of Chateau Irenicus, with just a bit less loot than you would have gained had you gone through the hour or so it takes to go through manually (since there's no accounting for randomized scrolls / gems / etc. Named equipment and the like is included). Good for those third or fourth playthroughs when you are just sick of killing mephits and identifying wands.

Then you get Ascension. You won't notice this mod until you get to Throne of Bhaal, but it adds a lot of cut content, and I mean a lot - the endgame is drastically different than the vanilla game's. You may want to beat the game without it before you add it, so you can fully appreciate it. I think this mod was actually overseen by one of the game's producers.

Banter packs. One of the things that a lot of people loved about BG2, myself included, was the intra-party banter between CNPCs. It was notable in that it was extensive to a degree that Bioware has not revisited, and also that it lacks the "mini-game" quality of Bioware titles post-NWN (where CNPC backstory is doled out in regular doses between core path quests, making backstory a quest in and of itself), randomly popping up at times. This adds a lot of extra interjections to the game.

Unfinished Business, which adds a lot of cut content that was originally supposed to be in the game, including alternate endings to certain quests and a sidequest for Minsc. Unless something's changed in the years since I've put down BG2, this mod is incompatible with the Fixpack.

BG2 Fixpack. Fixes a lot of scripting errors with weapons and classes and contains a lot of useful-but-optional features (bottomless stacks, etc.) I think this may be incompatible with Unfinished Business, but that might have been some other fixpack!

One of the things about the BG2 mod community that's a little different from other mod communities is the plethora of fully functional community-made CNPCs, many of which are fully VA'd and feature plenty of original content. The quality of these projects vary, of course, and a good number of them contain the sort of creepy and perverse fanservice that you've come to expect from mod communities in general. There are two CNPCs that I can really recommend:

Fade, who seems to have changed a bit since I used the mod. It's good for a few reasons - One, it adds a nicely balanced thief/rogue CNPC, which is sorely needed if you don't like the few the game gives you. It also lacked any of the bodice-ripping "romance" elements that make so many companion mods crash and burn, and the writing seemed fairly tight. Looks like a romance has been added since I last checked, so that may no longer be the case, and it looks like Throne of Bhaal content has not been created (and may never be created, at this rate). VA included.

Kelsey. Your mileage may vary with this one, since as a character he's annoying but in a way that Bioware characters often are. The VA's not bad and he's a sorcerer, and given a few key items he's an extraordinary magic tank. Content included for ToB.

There are lots of other CNPC mods, but the vast majority of them are overwrought, treacly, creepy, or some mixture of the three. I remember one mod that added a romance-able teen celestial paladin. Writing-wise it was actually not as terrible as you would expect, until you realized that every single quest suddenly became about that character.

Anyway, the game's plenty good on its own but these are just a few of the mods you can use to enhance your experience.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The surprise is it came out on Monday :)

I say I'm just going to skip Baldur's Gate, but the reality is I'll buy the rest of the old Bioware stuff the moment there's a sale. In the mean time I have thousands of gameplay hours between my current games, including Dragon Age, as well as Icewind Dale & Planescape: Torment.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Actually if you haven't played BG1 yet and you've got both games, consider getting BGTutu. Provided you've got both games installed, it essentially ports BG1 to the BG2 engine, making one gigantic mega-game, taking you from level 1 through the high 20s. There are a lot of other mods that add a lot of the aspects of BG2 that BG1 sorely lacked (namely intra-party banter). The only issue is that there are some balance issues - start out as a shapeshifter and absolutely wreck the poo poo of anything you come across! Start out as a monk and be unable to hit normal-weapon-resistant enemies until 3/4 of the way through the game! It also speeds up character movement, which nerfs ranged weapons to some extent (an accurate shot with a bow was is incredibly powerful in un-modded BG1). There are some bugs, but not as many as you'd expect from a total conversion mod.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Try to get Edwin (the Red Wizard that was also in the first game) for your party in BG2. His personal quest is my favourite for the pure comedy it provides.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

I have thousands of gameplay hours between my current games, including Dragon Age, as well as Icewind Dale & Planescape: Torment.

You are almost me. I own but have yet to play Dragon Age, Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape: Torment. And Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil. I think I went a bit RPG crazy*, and now must play games for way too many hours so as to atone for my sins.

Holding off buying BG2 from GOG because I've got it on CD, as is the case with BG1, TOTSC, IWD and IWD2. What can I say... I love the Infinity Engine.

*Also, I have Fallout: New Vegas waiting in the wings. :(

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
I played vanilla BG1 up until the chapter where you return to candlekeep before I corrupted my save with the widescreen mod. If I use that tutu mod with BGII and start all over I won't risk ruining the game with whatever differences if I've made it that far,
will I?

Edit: I started BGII back in the day, and never got any further than the opening dungeon really, before life got in the way and I got separated from my discs, if that means anything

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Saoshyant posted:

Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 2!

own it and bought it anyway crew represent

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

BadAstronaut posted:

You are almost me. I own but have yet to play Dragon Age, Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape: Torment. And Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil. I think I went a bit RPG crazy*, and now must play games for way too many hours so as to atone for my sins.

Holding off buying BG2 from GOG because I've got it on CD, as is the case with BG1, TOTSC, IWD and IWD2. What can I say... I love the Infinity Engine.
Supposedly the final Co8 patch should be out by the end of December so you'll win as far as ToEE goes if you're being patient. The current version has a few bugs including one rare game killers and one rare super annoying bug. Not that you couldn't really play the version that's out right now, just saying a better version will be out soon.

Omega Hans
Feb 6, 2010
Baldur's Gate 2 Complete for 9.99!

Omega Hans fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 15, 2010

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Supposedly the final Co8 patch should be out by the end of December so you'll win as far as ToEE goes if you're being patient. The current version has a few bugs including one rare game killers and one rare super annoying bug. Not that you couldn't really play the version that's out right now, just saying a better version will be out soon.

Thanks - yes, ToEE is definitely not first on the list. I've been having quite an old-school fest lately, and have a feeling that Dragon Age will be next up...
(not GOG-related at all, but hey)

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
HELL loving YES FINALLY.

I have beat this game so many times, but I haven't gone through the whole game with one character.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

thepopstalinist posted:

Then you get Ascension. You won't notice this mod until you get to Throne of Bhaal, but it adds a lot of cut content, and I mean a lot - the endgame is drastically different than the vanilla game's. You may want to beat the game without it before you add it, so you can fully appreciate it. I think this mod was actually overseen by one of the game's producers.

Yes, this one was done partly by David Gaider.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)
Thanks to the advice of goons I now know that Balder's Gate II is an exciting and cool RPG with a finely-tuned mix of combat, questing and dialog/role-playing.

Should I get the first too, so I can play that on the BGII engine? And will the various mods listed by thepopstalinist work for the BGI+BGII megagame?

Edit: I just got them. Is there any mod-setup stuff I have to know?

Kieselguhr Kid fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 15, 2010

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's tough to play BG1 after BG2. What kicks rear end is if you play BG1 and finish it, you can import your char into BG2.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

It's honestly hard to recommend BG1 to someone who hasn't played any infinity engine games before, it really can be clunky and unintuitive and BG1 isn't really the masterpiece that BG2 is, nor does it receive anywhere near as much acclaim. I liked it, though. I like all infinity engine games.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 15, 2010

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Dirk Muscleton posted:

Pretty sure Maze Wars predates even that.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I got too sick of random animals eating my 1 hp mage to ever stick with BG 1. Low level D&D is pretty terrible.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Would I like BG1/2? RPGs I enjoy the most are more loot-based ones(Diablo) but also Morrowind/Oblivion. I didn't really like Fallout(The story/RPG elements were great, just didn't have the right feel for what I like in games) but I'm open to try some of these older acclaimed isometric RPGs because of how much praise they get. I got pretty into Dragon Age at one point aswell.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Brace posted:

Would I like BG1/2? RPGs I enjoy the most are more loot-based ones(Diablo) but also Morrowind/Oblivion. I didn't really like Fallout(The story/RPG elements were great, just didn't have the right feel for what I like in games) but I'm open to try some of these older acclaimed isometric RPGs because of how much praise they get. I got pretty into Dragon Age at one point aswell.

There's honestly nothing in your post that screams YES or NO one way or another, I'd try out BG2 and see if you like it. In many ways BG2 is quite similar to Fallout but it's also different in a bunch of ways as well. There's much less of a focus on turn based combat in BG2, even though you will be pausing often.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GreenNight posted:

It's tough to play BG1 after BG2. What kicks rear end is if you play BG1 and finish it, you can import your char into BG2.

I never did that years ago :negative:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

SheepNameKiller posted:

There's honestly nothing in your post that screams YES or NO one way or another, I'd try out BG2 and see if you like it. In many ways BG2 is quite similar to Fallout but it's also different in a bunch of ways as well. There's much less of a focus on turn based combat in BG2, even though you will be pausing often.

What should be taken into account before I make the purchase? I really items, collecting loot, whether it be armor and weapons, and I... like being a warrior with heavy plate and hitting things a lot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Brace posted:

What should be taken into account before I make the purchase? I really items, collecting loot, whether it be armor and weapons, and I... like being a warrior with heavy plate and hitting things a lot.

there's a lot of item juggling in BG2, you should be fine

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Fag Boy Jim posted:

there's a lot of item juggling in BG2, you should be fine

What about in the way of action for a plate-wearing, sword/axe/hammer wielding warrior that kills lots of poo poo?

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Also, if you're playing BG2, I recommend going for one of the "kit" classes. I think there's a "mage killer" warrior class, that gets to cast Ruby Ray of Reversal and has substantial magic resistance. You'll be wearing heavy plate and wrecking mage's poo poo, which is a big part of BG2; lots of mages who need their poo poo wrecked.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Brace posted:

What about in the way of action for a plate-wearing, sword/axe/hammer wielding warrior that kills lots of poo poo?

if you think the playstyle of a warrior character in an RPG is "click on a lot of poo poo", good news, that is how being a warrior in the BG games works

of course, you also have to control your NPC mages, because you do not want an AI in charge of your spells.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

BG1 deserves a lot more than most people are willing to give it nowadays. The sequel may have "perfected the formula," but I've played through BG1 around five or six times compared to my single completion of BG2, and all but one of these were done without using BGTutu.

I think most people are just upset because they spent all that time making their special first character and got killed by a wolf of ogre because they foolishly wandered off the road. :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
BG2 does pretty much everything better than BG1 did, but BG1 (and Fallout) kinda saved the computer RPG, so it's cool in my book

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

adamarama posted:

Also, if you're playing BG2, I recommend going for one of the "kit" classes. I think there's a "mage killer" warrior class, that gets to cast Ruby Ray of Reversal and has substantial magic resistance. You'll be wearing heavy plate and wrecking mage's poo poo, which is a big part of BG2; lots of mages who need their poo poo wrecked.

The Wizardslayer actually really, really sucks. S/he makes spellcasters' spells fail upon landing hits (10% cumulative spell failure chance each hit) and gets a nice bit of magic resistance, BUT can't use ANY magic items except for weapons and armor. That's a REALLY huge disadvantage (no Belts of Giant Strength) for not much gain (landing a hit on a caster usually disrupts spellcasting anyway).

If you really want to wreck mages' poo poo, you should roll an Inquisitor (Paladin kit). Instead of the usual Paladin spells and pseudo-spells, they get one quick-cast Dispel Magic and True Sight per day per four levels at TWICE their level, AND 100% immunity to Hold and Charm in addition to the vanilla Paladin's +2 to saving throws and Protection from Evil.

Or you could just roll a Human Kensai 12/Mage and wreck poo poo in general.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Devil Wears Wings posted:

The Wizardslayer actually really, really sucks. S/he makes spellcasters' spells fail upon landing hits (10% cumulative spell failure chance each hit) and gets a nice bit of magic resistance, BUT can't use ANY magic items except for weapons and armor. That's a REALLY huge disadvantage (no Belts of Giant Strength) for not much gain (landing a hit on a caster usually disrupts spellcasting anyway).

If you really want to wreck mages' poo poo, you should roll an Inquisitor (Paladin kit). Instead of the usual Paladin spells and pseudo-spells, they get one quick-cast Dispel Magic and True Sight per day per four levels at TWICE their level, AND 100% immunity to Hold and Charm in addition to the vanilla Paladin's +2 to saving throws and Protection from Evil.

Or you could just roll a Human Kensai 12/Mage and wreck poo poo in general.

Well I don't think I could deal with being a paladin in a D&D ruleset where you actually have to be paladin-like, I thought the mageslayer sounded kind of cool, also the berserker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

thepopstalinist posted:

Unfinished Business, which adds a lot of cut content that was originally supposed to be in the game, including alternate endings to certain quests and a sidequest for Minsc. Unless something's changed in the years since I've put down BG2, this mod is incompatible with the Fixpack.

Unless they've revised the mod in the last year or two, I'd avoid Minsc's quest. The reward is bugged, giving Minsc twice the thaco increase, and coupled with his new 19 strength - makes the reward pretty broken considering how easy it is to solve. There's also a bug that makes the trolls you have to kill unkillable (even by ctrl-y). Quest just isn't good enough to warrant putting up with all that crap.

The rest is "so-so" to "a little better than so-so." All in all I feel it's pretty overrated on the whole.