Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I usually just focus on whatever team I'm rooting for. Where on that team I look usually changes depending on what I want to happen (or not happen).

I get very frustrated watching football on TV and not being able to see what is going on downfield. The quarterback is just standing there, you're yelling at him to throw it, but you have absolutely no idea if anybody is open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This is why I love watching option offenses; all the decisions are right there on camera where you can see them.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Crap, wrong thread.

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 14, 2010

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I watch the offensive line, because I get hard-ons for watching blocking schemes fold out, and I don't know how to read defenses yet.

Speaking of, does anyone have like, a graphic representation of who has what zone in Cover 2,3,4,6, etc?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Not graphical, but the shells are fairly easy to understand:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_coverage_shells

The only confusing one is 6 since all the others are just referring to how many players have deep zone responsibility.

e: 6 is basically a cover 3, except instead of everyone having a third of the field the coverage is rolled to one side, so two players have 1/4 of the field and the third guy is responsible for the other half of the field.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 14, 2010

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

Evoq posted:

Groucho Marxist posted:

You do not seem to know how divisional standings work.
If I dont then NFL.com doesnt know how they work either :confused:. Is it only based on wins or something?

Crosspostin from Open Letters. Someone care to explain how the divisional standings are supposed to work? I thought it was like regular W/L standings. How are the Chargers a game out of first place in the AFCW, at 1-2, when the Raiders are 3-0?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Evoq posted:

Crosspostin from Open Letters. Someone care to explain how the divisional standings are supposed to work? I thought it was like regular W/L standings. How are the Chargers a game out of first place in the AFCW, at 1-2, when the Raiders are 3-0?

The divisional standings are based on regular win/loss record, and divisional win/loss only comes into play as a tie breaker. So the Chargers at 4-5 are 1 game behind the 5-4 Raiders and Chiefs in the division.

The Raiders are currently in first over KC because while they're tied in regular w/l, Oakland is 3-0 in the division while KC is only 1-2.

e: Right, forgot that head to head tie break comes before divisional record.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 15, 2010

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Evoq posted:

quote:

If I dont then NFL.com doesnt know how they work either :confused:. Is it only based on wins or something?

Division standings don't kick in unless there is a tie with the overall standings.

So the 5-4 Raiders and the 5-4 Chiefs are winning the Division with the 4-5 Chargers one game behind them. If they end up with a tied record at the end of the year they go to Head to head, so if one team won two games against the other then they would win the division. If they split the head to head then they go to Divisional record.

For example in the NFC North right now.

The Bears and Pack are tied at 6-3, However if the season ended right now the Bears would win the Division as they beat the Packers in the one game they have played. thus winning the tiebreaker.

Edit:

Crowbear posted:

The divisional standings are based on regular win/loss record, and divisional win/loss only comes into play as a tie breaker. So the Chargers at 4-5 are 1 game behind the 5-4 Raiders in the division.

The Raiders are currently in first over KC because while they're tied in regular w/l, Oakland is 3-0 in the division while KC is only 1-2.

Hmm. I thought Head to Head came before Divisional record?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Dexo posted:

Hmm. I thought Head to Head came before Divisional record?

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're right, I just forgot about it.

Tie-break rules are pretty fun, and can get reaaaallllly wacky when there's stuff like 3-way ties.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 15, 2010

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007
Ohhhhhh okay, that makes sense, thanks guys.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Evoq posted:

Ohhhhhh okay, that makes sense, thanks guys.

Your way works in college football so there's that at least :shobon:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here are the exact NFL rules for tiebreakers:

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
12. Coin toss

==================

And for the Wildcard:

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
9. Best net points in conference games.
12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Your way works in college football so there's that at least :shobon:

And it makes sense in college football because the talent contrasts are so stark. Let's say that West Virginia went 6-1 in Big East play but Cincinnati went 5-2. Cincinnati finished 10-2 because their non-conference schedule was something like Miami Ohio, McNeese State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Troy, and ECU, whereas West Virginia goes 9-3 because they scheduled Florida State and Oklahoma for non-conference games and lost both of them. Even though West Virginia's record is worse, they did better in conference play so they win the conference, so that Cincinnati isn't rewarded for playing worse teams.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

For those who really want to get into the nitty-gritty of football, scheme/preparation-wise, you should look at https://www.coachhuey.com

quote:

"Run to the Numbers": Option Series out of 3x1
« Thread Started on Apr 25, 2010, 10:42am »
This is our base series out of 3x1. Everything we do, again, is based on numbers so these plays are drawn up with a numbers advantage for the offense. If the defense makes an adjustment to even the numbers, we will take advantage of that because they've left a void.

The first play of the series is speed option where we use zone blocking rules to create a veer blocking scheme leaving the DE unblocked for a read and we double team the invert. The formation and the blocking scheme create a 5 on 4 situation in the box (we cut the BSDE and invert loose because they will not make the play) and a 3 on 2 situation on the perimeter for a total of 8 on 6 in favor of our offense. We allow the FS to go because we will read him on playaction which creates big play opportunities.

Speed Option

The second play of the series is what we call Option Lock where we use zone blocking rules and base block what would be the read on speed option, the PSDE. We also double team down on the PSDE with our H-Back or "3 receiver" as we call him. Then we'll crack with the 2 receiver to the Mike or first LB inside. We create a 7 on 5 situation in the box and we read the invert. If the invert runs to the pitch, which is what usually happens because he's used to running through blocks to get to the pitchon speed option, then the QB keeps and stays tight to the edge set by the double team and crack. If the invert plays the QB then he obviously pitches and off we go. We see some B-gap blitzing to the playside by the Mike so you have to have an answer for that and ours during the play would be the double team constricting B-gap and the PSG go half on the DT and half on the blitzing backer. So playside it ends being a 4-man wall for the offense (3, PST, PSG, C) and only three defenders (DT, DE, Mike). Or you can have the aceback and 2 receiver who would be on the crack to switch assignments. The aceback would check B-Gap for a blitzer as he runs around the double team to seal off the backer if he scraped hard on the snap and the 2 receiver would step back and to the inside to become the pitch man. Option Lock is great when you seem to have difficulty double teaming the invert. If you can't block him...read him...right? Once he becomes a soft defender you can go back to double teaming him on speed option. I like to keep a steady dose of both to keep him guessing.

Option Lock

The next two plays are constraint plays in the series, a misdirection play and a playaction pass. Option Counter is an off-tackle trap in which the PST blocks down and the first uncovered lineman past the center pulls and traps the DE. This is a play we use when we feel like the box is on the run on the snap, more specifically, when the BSLB has made plays on Option and Option Lock. We want to keep him at bay so our backside blocking can get to him on Option and Option Lock. That's the toughest block to get when running the option...the BSLB. If we get a 3 technique on the playside, the PSG can make a call in which the PST will base the DE, the guard will block down to the first LB inside, and we will make it an inside trap on the 3 tech. That is when this play is huge I think because you are keeping the ball away from the backside hanger who will sometimes fall back inside and make the play on counter. Great play especially when teams scheme against it because it opens up the possibilities elsewhere.

Option Counter

The second of our two constraint plays in the base series is Option Pass which is simply BOB protection, an option fake by the backfield, and a four vertical concept. The receivers run their routes so they are properly spaced and the QB very similar to the way he makes his read in the option run game reads the FS and throws opposite with an inside-out mentality. We feel like this is a touchdown play for us. We throw this as many times as we feel like we need to throughout a game as a way to keep the FS honest meaning out of the alley immediately on option backfield action toward the perimeter. If he's making tackles at or within a few yards of the LOS we know we have a big play coming on Option Pass. He's cheating...we make him pay. It only takes one maybe two if the kid is a real hero to keep him from being aggressive in the run game like another LB. This play is great because we see alot of cover 3 against our trips formation. You don't have to be a former DC, like I am, to understand that 4 verticals into a 3 deep zone is problem for the defense.

Option Pass

Now we have many other ways to attack the 3 on 2 situation to the strong side but this is our base series. We have answers for the defensive alignment adjustments which can be accompanied by a coverage adjustment as well. We have the ability to attack weak side if they adjust with the backside invert, we have the ability to attack deep if they cover down with the FS, and we have the ability to attack the box if they thin it to 5 by adjusting with one of the inside backers. That's basically all the defense can do from an adjustment standpoint and as long as you have answers for those then you're in great shape. The situations we face as a 3x1 spread option team are as follows:

We only have single high safety situations listed because that is all we get. We have not faced a team that plays two high against us. But if we did, we would still seek out the numbers advantage the same way because the system of counting defenders is still intact. The counting system will point you in the direction you should be attacking. This is truly a "take what the defense gives you" type approach. But make now mistake, you are dictating to the defense because you have put them in a situation where you have made them adjust. However, you must be proficient in all of your answers to the possible scenarios the defense can give you otherwise now they are dictating to you because you are now trying to execute plays to attack an area that your offense is not proficient at getting to. Now the defense has dictating to you. Fine line between the two. You kids have to execute. Understanding the possible scenarios and having legitimate attacks for each give your kids the best opportunity to be successful.

If you can't already tell. This is my favorite topic offensively from a scheme perspective. Coachengy mentioned utilizing 3x2 Empty as very similar to 3x1 and I believe there is merit in that. The principles of finding a numbers advantage are the same as 3x1 but the empty formation could potentially ensure that the defense leave a backside invert which would give you your strongside, box, or deep zone packages again based on the adjustment of the defense. Did they leave 3 on 2, adjust with the backside invert, cover down with the FS, or thin the box? I have some ideas to share regarding empty, but that would involve getting into shovel which I will save for later discussion or a separate thread. Sorry this is long, I just can stand the drawings will all the {censored} periods. I'm a picture kind of guy. Thanks Coaches.

really, really exceptional resource

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
So I thought that when a player on the field lost his helmet the play was blown dead, but that didn't happen in the Packers/Vikings game. Does this rule only apply to the ballcarrier?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Xeras posted:

So I thought that when a player on the field lost his helmet the play was blown dead, but that didn't happen in the Packers/Vikings game. Does this rule only apply to the ballcarrier?

You are correct.

loosenukes
Feb 14, 2005

you don't put your best missile in your crummiest hole
I noticed this in the Northwestern-Illinois game yesterday, but I think I've seen it elsewhere in college football, too. When they line up for the extra point, they line up all spread out and then audible to a normal field goal formation. Why do they do this? Are they just trying to catch the other team off guard any way they can? It seems weird that they would do that every single extra point.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

loosenukes posted:

I noticed this in the Northwestern-Illinois game yesterday, but I think I've seen it elsewhere in college football, too. When they line up for the extra point, they line up all spread out and then audible to a normal field goal formation. Why do they do this? Are they just trying to catch the other team off guard any way they can? It seems weird that they would do that every single extra point.

I think it's because kickers prefer to line up their kick without the offensive line directly in front of them. Once they run through it in their head and step off to the starting point, the line moves into place.

Kicking is 99% psychological, so whatever helps them focus, I guess.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
I know when I played in HS there were teams who would default to a "swinging fence" formation as my coaches called it. The napper, kicker, and holder were in their normal position, but the line and everyone else were close to the sideline. The thought was they were trying to catch defenses off guard and pitch the ball over for an easy 2 point conversion. When we lined up in a defense to counter that they would line up for a normal pat.

This is what I would think it would be, but with the amount of time and prep that goes into big time college ball that it would be a lot harder to catch people off guard and for it to work, but what do I know.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
That's indeed called the "muddle huddle," "swinging gate," or "swinging fence." In theory depending on which way the defense lines up, you can run different fakes to different places, usually if someone is uncovered. Of course, the defense knows you run the muddle huddle from tapes, so they normally position their players reasonably and don't leave people uncovered. The typical set of muddle huddle fakes are a pass to one of the guys lined up on the opposite side from the linemen, a kicker draw up the middle, or a lateral to a wing lined up behind the offensive linemen. There are more creative versions. It's common at the high school level and used to be common at the college level, but has fallen out of favor over the last 5-10 years.

I've always found the fakes turn into debacles unless they're practiced a fairly large amount since you need to install at least two to have a successful muddle huddle, and the plays are normally complex and involve precise timing. Most teams just aren't going devote a practice period per day to running muddle huddle fakes, and realistically given the success rates on both you'd probably be better off using that practice period to hone your fake punts instead. You also get the occasional illegal shift, delay, or false start that wouldn't occur if you lined up normally.

Incidentally, most kickers that I've dealt with hate the thing because it screws up their regular routine.

eta: The best variation involves the short snapper being an eligible receiver, although I want to say the NCAA kiboshed that a few years ago. I once saw a team run an Urban Meyer-style double sprint option out of the muddle huddle with the snapper, holder, and kicker, which was quite a fun play although a resounding disaster.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 22, 2010

loosenukes
Feb 14, 2005

you don't put your best missile in your crummiest hole
Thanks, guys. I figured it was something along those lines.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

jeffersonlives posted:

I've always found the fakes turn into debacles unless they're practiced a fairly large amount since you need to install at least two to have a successful muddle huddle, and the plays are normally complex and involve precise timing. Most teams just aren't going devote a practice period per day to running muddle huddle fakes, and realistically given the success rates on both you'd probably be better off using that practice period to hone your fake punts instead. You also get the occasional illegal shift, delay, or false start that wouldn't occur if you lined up normally.

The muddle huddle (or formation shifts in general) are great if you know you're playing against a team with d-lineman who are undisciplined and have problems reacting only to the snap. I've seen muddle huddles result in 1st downs way more than a successful 2-point conversion.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Speaking of fakes turning into debacles and swinging gates, here's an example from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdX1rdLcTk8

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mr. Despair posted:

Speaking of fakes turning into debacles and swinging gates, here's an example from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdX1rdLcTk8

I'll bet it's been talked about to death, but honestly what were they trying to do there?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

C-Euro posted:

I'll bet it's been talked about to death, but honestly what were they trying to do there?

The play design is a screen left to either the kicker in motion or the left wing - and they actually had an 8-on-5 out there for that - but the holder freaked out when he saw the pass rush and just launched it. That destroys your numbers advantage because of the 8, most are ineligible receivers, of course.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

jeffersonlives posted:

The play design is a screen left to either the kicker in motion or the left wing - and they actually had an 8-on-5 out there for that - but the holder freaked out when he saw the pass rush and just launched it. That destroys your numbers advantage because of the 8, most are ineligible receivers, of course.

I also believe they lined up for that, there was a penalty, and then they tried it again. It has lost all it's surprise element.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bashez posted:

I also believe they lined up for that, there was a penalty, and then they tried it again. It has lost all it's surprise element.

It's also about a 5-10 yard play design and they tried it at the end of the half from a lot longer than that, so the most interesting question is why they ran that in that situation.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Random question. I was at a resteraunt working on a paper last night and my teams Left Tackle was talking with some NFL agent at the table next to me. At what point are players allowed to talk to agents? Are they permitted to talk to them any time after they get to college and just arent allowed to take money/gifts? Or are they not supposed to talk to them at all until after the season is over? At first thought it was pretty cool that he was there with agents and stuff, and then I couldnt remember what the rules about that were so maybe it wasnt so cool.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If they're just talking it's fine (even according to the NCAA).

The big no-no's are signing an agreement to be represented by the agent, taking benefits (in whatever form) from the agent or the agent's "runner's", or having the agent schedule workouts or gauge interest from a pro team.

The cynic in most of us think the interest thing at least (let alone all the other violations that could come to pass) happens all the time, although ostensibly what you saw was on the up and up.

From an NCAA page: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2010+news+stories/July+latest+news/Guidelines+for+agents

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Grittybeard posted:

If they're just talking it's fine (even according to the NCAA).

The big no-no's are signing an agreement to be represented by the agent, taking benefits (in whatever form) from the agent or the agent's "runner's", or having the agent schedule workouts or gauge interest from a pro team.

The cynic in most of us think the interest thing at least (let alone all the other violations that could come to pass) happens all the time, although ostensibly what you saw was on the up and up.

From an NCAA page: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2010+news+stories/July+latest+news/Guidelines+for+agents

Yeah, after I thought about this for a bit I realized that I already knew that as long as they werent receiving benefits, players were allowed to talk to agents. Thanks for that link that, thats pretty cool and helpful.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Somebody explain how the "lining up" stuff works? I know you have to have 7 men on the line of scrimmage, but I've heard stuff like "the tackle is uncovered" and I'm not exactly sure what the deal there is.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
5 of the 7 on the line of scrimmage are the O-line, and neither tackle can be uncovered IIRC. That means that there has to be a receiver (either a tight end or wide receiver) on the LOS between the tackle and the sideline.

Legal:
--W------TCGCTE-----
W----------QB------W

Illegal:
--------TCGCTE---W-
W---------QB------W

because the LT is uncovered on the line of scrimmage. I don't know why it's a rule, just that it is one. Also, tackles have to have their head between the shoulder pads and butt of the center, or else it's a penalty. It rarely gets called, though, unless your o-line is lovely (like Pittsburgh).

e: vvvv yeah, that's it.

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 6, 2010

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

5 of the 7 on the line of scrimmage are the O-line, and neither tackle can be uncovered IIRC. That means that there has to be a receiver (either a tight end or wide receiver) on the LOS between the tackle and the sideline.

Legal:
--W------TCGCTE-----
W----------QB------W

Illegal:
--------TCGCTE---W-
W---------QB------W

because the LT is uncovered on the line of scrimmage. I don't know why it's a rule, just that it is one. Also, tackles have to have their head between the shoulder pads and butt of the center, or else it's a penalty. It rarely gets called, though, unless your o-line is lovely (like Pittsburgh).

An uncovered tackle is technically an end, and therefore an eligible receiver. However, since he's wearing a lineman's number the player must inform the referee before the play that's he's an eligible receiver. Tackle-eligible plays turn up every now and then.

Any formation with 7 guys on the line and 4 in the backfield is legal as far as I know. When you see multiple WR sets, usually one or two will be back from the line a bit, putting them in the backfield.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

An uncovered tackle is technically an end, and therefore an eligible receiver. However, since he's wearing a lineman's number the player must inform the referee before the play that's he's an eligible receiver. Tackle-eligible plays turn up every now and then.

Any formation with 7 guys on the line and 4 in the backfield is legal as far as I know. When you see multiple WR sets, usually one or two will be back from the line a bit, putting them in the backfield.

This is mostly right. In college an offensive lineman can never be an eligible receiver because his number must be between 50-79 and those numbers are never allowed to be eligible receivers.

In the NFL an O-lineman can inform the ref that he's an eligible receiver, but he must do so every time since his eligibility lasts for only one play.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

crm posted:

Somebody explain how the "lining up" stuff works? I know you have to have 7 men on the line of scrimmage, but I've heard stuff like "the tackle is uncovered" and I'm not exactly sure what the deal there is.

I don't think you got a very good definition so here's my crack at it. Everyone in the backfield is an eligible receiver. The outermost players, on the LOS, on both sides are also eligible receivers. The outermost player on the line of scrimmage (for each side) is covering the guys inside of him, making them ineligible. For instance, you have a tight end and a wide receiver on the right hand side.

1) The receiver and TE are off the line. The tackle is uncovered and eligible (and the formation is likely illegal because the TE probably needed to be on the line to make 7, I think the tackle needs to report even if he isn't running a route but I'm not positive).

2)The receiver is off the line and the TE is on the line. The TE is covering the tackle and both the TE and WR are eligible receivers, the tackle is not.

3) The receiver and TE are both on the line. The receiver is covering the TE and the TE is ineligible. The WR probably hosed up here. When you see receivers go out you often see them point at the zebra next to him (line judge?) and he's basically asking I'm off the line, you got that right? so he can make sure he isn't accidentally covering/uncovering someone when he shouldn't be.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

DrGonzo90 posted:

In the NFL an O-lineman can inform the ref that he's an eligible receiver, but he must do so every time since his eligibility lasts for only one play.

I've seen this a few times, but how often does it actually work since it seems like it won't since the other team knows he's eligible. Goal line situations/short yardage?

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

Crunkjuice posted:

I've seen this a few times, but how often does it actually work since it seems like it won't since the other team knows he's eligible. Goal line situations/short yardage?

Usually it's in a goal line situation with the tackle lined up as a TE

That's how you get Mike Vrabel, stud TE

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You'll also occasionally see a defensive lineman or linebacker or even reserve offensive lineman at fullback or TE.

Usually they're terrible at it, but there you go.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Some teams do it more than occasionally. The Jets use backup tackle Wayne Hunter as a tight end in much of the base offense, about 20 percent of snaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's really annoying at games because they announce Hunter as an eligible receiver over the PA every single time he declares.

• Locked thread