Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Lamech posted:

I know little about law or lawyers, but I do enjoy Bill Handel's radio program "Handel on the Law." Podcast available via itunes if you're interested.

What do you guys think of his advice? I like his show, but was wondering about the accuracy of it. After reading the first few posts of the thread, the attitude seems correct.

Apologies if you guys have covered Handel.

Don't sue me.

I have heard a couple of his broadcasts, and found him to be amusing, mostly because he insults the callers so much. He also told about 90% of the callers that a lawsuit was more expensive than it was worth, which is usually pretty true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Solomon Grundy posted:

I have heard a couple of his broadcasts, and found him to be amusing, mostly because he insults the callers so much. He also told about 90% of the callers that a lawsuit was more expensive than it was worth, which is usually pretty true.

You'll probably like him a lot more when I tell you that his brother Mark Handel's stage name is Khan Tusion. Yep, the Meatholes.com guy.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

HooKars posted:

The rest of the time I just sit and wait, and often times, due to the nature of my practice area, nothing starts happening until 6 pm and then there is a sudden rush where everything must be edited and sent out THAT NIGHT (hence the nothingness again, the next day but of course, you still have to be there).
I was under the impression that my corporate/finance friends bill for their time spent waiting for a document to be turned over or what have you. Are you certain you aren't supposed to be billing this time?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

gvibes posted:

I was under the impression that my corporate/finance friends bill for their time spent waiting for a document to be turned over or what have you. Are you certain you aren't supposed to be billing this time?

In corporate law where your clients are big enough to be used to large bills, you can bill for practically anything, it's just a question of what shade of gray you draw your line on.

If you bill 100% ethically, you wind up in Hookars' situation. If you don't and are smart enough not to overbill in situations that get you caught by senior partners who have to write down your time, everyone loves you. If you are a pre-law major who cares about the implications of this statement you probably shouldn't go to law school.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Crazy clients only ever call right before quitting time on Friday, or first thing on Monday. Today: "How can he have a warrant for his arrest if he was never arrested before??"

loving investigations, how do they work?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Adar posted:

In corporate law where your clients are big enough to be used to large bills, you can bill for practically anything, it's just a question of what shade of gray you draw your line on.

If you bill 100% ethically, you wind up in Hookars' situation. If you don't and are smart enough not to overbill in situations that get you caught by senior partners who have to write down your time, everyone loves you. If you are a pre-law major who cares about the implications of this statement you probably shouldn't go to law school.

At least among the folks I know the commonly accepted practice is to bill after a certain time. If it's during business hours the expectation is that you would be in the office anyway so you don't get to bill for that time. If it's after whatever time you would otherwise have gone home then you can bill for it. HooKars's situation sucks but is not atypical. After the market closes/close of business everyone sends work out to the lawyers who then turn everything that night. This is a dumb way of giving your lawyers work and if, as an associate, you have a good partner they will manage the client so that this happens less frequently. Or they will manage you so that you aren't stuck with a bunch of work to do all night and nothing during the day. This is a big reason why transactional attorneys in NY come in at 10 (or later).

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

builds character posted:

At least among the folks I know the commonly accepted practice is to bill after a certain time. If it's during business hours the expectation is that you would be in the office anyway so you don't get to bill for that time.

How the hell does that work? Maybe if the client is paying a lump-sum per month/period I could see it.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
found a jerb... in finance

don't go to law school, not worth it

fougera fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 16, 2010

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

HooKars posted:

I will probably try to stay here for a year, if only for the sheer fact that I have lived in five different states since March of 2009.

The work, honestly, should not be bad but it's like everybody gets together to make it as miserable as possible, with a ton of fake self-imposed deadlines, and there's not even any camaraderie in the suffering - everyone is just kind of a bitch/rear end in a top hat. I'm in the office from 8 am to around 11 pm everyday but I probably only bill 8 - 10 hours so it's not even like there's the benefit of having awesome hours. The rest of the time I just sit and wait, and often times, due to the nature of my practice area, nothing starts happening until 6 pm and then there is a sudden rush where everything must be edited and sent out THAT NIGHT (hence the nothingness again, the next day but of course, you still have to be there).

Sadly, 8 am - 11pm is not enough. My coworker and I were told yesterday we were leaving way too early and to stop asking "Is there anything else we can do?" at the end of the evening (10 pm - 11 pm) when we have nothing to do. Instead, we must now sit in our office, doing nothing, not billing time, until we are affirmatively told we may leave the office in case "something comes up." It's like we have a babysitter. Never mind the fact that we both live within a two minute walk to the office and could hop over if anything ever did come up. No, if one person has to suffer and stay late, the whole team has to wait around for him and suffer as well.

Also, my practice group apparently hates food. I think for every three late nights we have, we get dinner on the client once. Other than that it's pay for it yourself or live off the free pretzels the office has.

Yay for my job.

Wow, that sounds incredibly frustrating! And how dare you take actual initiative and try to find work to do. Yikes. Law firms suck.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I would post my job situation but all the tears would be too sweet and I might drown.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

For starters here is the firm liquor cabinet.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What's that? Blantons gives you gas? Luckily we have EArly times as well. elp yourslef.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What's that? Blantons gives you gas? Luckily we have EArly times as well. elp yourslef.

Please toss out the Bacardi and for a few more bucks (like 6) shell out for the Zapata Centenario.

Post script: still awesome.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I'll suggest it at the next litigation meeting.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
What Captain Scrapps said. I found the firm rum. It's Captain Morgan and it's stored in the cabinet with the cleaning supplies, right by the Windex (an apropos placing if there ever was one). I want to say something but on the other hand I don't want to be too bitchy this early in my employment. I think the best plan is to use it to clean the conference room windows then take it upon myself to run to Liquor Barn on the firm's behalf.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

gvibes posted:

I'm in a smaller practice group where the bills are watched. There's some leeway but I can't turn my 10 hours of real billable time into the 16 hours of time I was actually in the office tonight (the last two of which I did absolutely nothing. At least I have bar studying that can get done while I sit around and wait).

Builds Character posted:

This is a big reason why transactional attorneys in NY come in at 10 (or later).

The 10 am start time in NYC made this all so much bearable. You could actually still go out (or drink alone) and be totally functional or at least relax until 2 am and still get plenty of sleep. Having to be by in 8 am after getting out so late, this job actually drives me to NOT drink... which is really impressive.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz is a Mad Man

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

HooKars posted:

this job actually drives me to NOT drink...
This is the most depressing thing I've ever read in this entire series of threads.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Phil Moscowitz posted:

i.e. the cabinet under the sink in the bathroom you share with the failing real estate agent, the startup collection agency, and the mafia-owned "consulting firm".

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Defleshed posted:

i.e. the cabinet under the sink in the bathroom you share with the failing real estate agent, the startup collection agency, and the mafia-owned "consulting firm".

I don't think that cabinet even has doors. It's like they're actively trying NOT to hide it.

I like that firm.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Job interview in a couple hours. Name partner is currently the subject of a reasonably high-profile disciplinary investigation. Do I bring it up? (I won't be interviewing with him)

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

tau posted:

I don't think that cabinet even has doors. It's like they're actively trying NOT to hide it.

I like that firm.

New Orleans

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Job interview in a couple hours. Name partner is currently the subject of a reasonably high-profile disciplinary investigation. Do I bring it up? (I won't be interviewing with him)

I had an interview for an internship with a firm like that and I think his first question was a kind of moody "tell us what you know about our firm" which technically isn't a question but at any rate I didn't bring up the fact that one of the partners was involved in...some kind of suit, I don't remember what now.

I didn't get the job but I knew the person who did and she didn't even know about it, much less bring it up.

So my advice to you is to undo your research into the firm until you forget you knew about it

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

If you bring it up you deserve to die homeless and alone*

*unless you've already hosed up the interview so badly you've nothing to lose, in which case you may as well go for the reality show gold standard and attempt to become memorable

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Roger_Mudd posted:

How the hell does that work? Maybe if the client is paying a lump-sum per month/period I could see it.

I think it's a holdover from going to the printer. When you went to the printers everyone would go and you'd all make changes to the disclosure and then waited for the printer to run another copy while you drank their ridiculous liquor, ate whatever food you wanted and played on their water slide. Then you reviewed the new copy and commented on the new copy, repeat ad nauseum until you were done. You still billed for the time you were at the printer. Now lots of disclosure is purely electronic and for public disclosure you still don't actually go to the printer they just send you a PDF and you review that and then go home. More commonly you send them the PDF and then review what they send back to make sure it's ok and then you go home. Anyway, I think that's where that particular practice comes from. As far as billing when you're just waiting for a partner to mark up a document or for the other side to return comments I don't know where that practice comes from but it's definitely there. Ideally you're doing other work at the same time and generally there's something for you to do but not all the time and people don't usually stop billing because there was 45 minutes where they didn't have work to do.

Think about it like travel time - you're not actually doing legal work during travel time but you still bill for it because the client needs you to go somewhere you wouldn't otherwise be. In this case the client needs you to stay at the office (or the partner is terrible at managing associates time but then the bill is really their problem anyway) rather than traveling to Manitoba but either way you're not getting to go home.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Why is it on the bottom shelf? Do you have top shelf liquors too?

HooKars posted:

I'm in a smaller practice group where the bills are watched. There's some leeway but I can't turn my 10 hours of real billable time into the 16 hours of time I was actually in the office tonight (the last two of which I did absolutely nothing. At least I have bar studying that can get done while I sit around and wait).

The 10 am start time in NYC made this all so much bearable. You could actually still go out (or drink alone) and be totally functional or at least relax until 2 am and still get plenty of sleep. Having to be by in 8 am after getting out so late, this job actually drives me to NOT drink... which is really impressive.

:glomp:
Seriously, this is terrible. Sorry.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
why does anyone drink anything that isn't tequila?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Because some of us are here legally.

I kid! We love your tacos.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Because there is whiskey.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Because tequila is for college students and cougars.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Defleshed posted:

Because tequila is for college students and cougars.

Go look in the mirror. Look at how wrong you are. Look.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

The Warszawa posted:

Go look in the mirror. Look at how wrong you are. Look.

Sorry there is only one liquor that is :chord: enough for me as an attorney. It is Scotch, and single malt only; none of that blended garbage. You kids run along and pay with your tequila, us grown ups have serious drinking to do. It's the only way to forget what a terrible mistake we've made.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Adar posted:

If you bring it up you deserve to die homeless and alone*

*unless you've already hosed up the interview so badly you've nothing to lose, in which case you may as well go for the reality show gold standard and attempt to become memorable

It didn't come up :sweatdrop:

What did come up was my boner when I saw the six-foot tall wine rack in the room.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Defleshed posted:

Sorry there is only one liquor that is :chord: enough for me as an attorney. It is Scotch, and single malt only; none of that blended garbage. You kids run along and pay with your tequila, us grown ups have serious drinking to do. It's the only way to forget what a terrible mistake we've made.

Here here!

The other night, I paid $17.50 for a Balvenie 15 year on the rocks. Did I flinch at the price? Of course not, I am a lawyer.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

entris posted:

Of course not, I am a lawyer.

Then you should learn that it's "Hear, hear!" :arghfist:

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Won 4 grand in a writing contest...was supposed to get the prize a month ago. I was told it was going to be sent out last week, didn't happen. Now the person is not responding to calls or emails.

The journal is probably folding or something. Also I think I ran up about $3,999 in bar tabs since I found out.

Don't go to law school, because even if you get money they take it away

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

J Miracle posted:

Won 4 grand in a writing contest...was supposed to get the prize a month ago. I was told it was going to be sent out last week, didn't happen. Now the person is not responding to calls or emails.

The journal is probably folding or something. Also I think I ran up about $3,999 in bar tabs since I found out.

Or don't spend your money before the check has cleared. :eng101:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wyatt posted:

Then you should learn that it's "Hear, hear!" :arghfist:

NO. It's "here here" because I was indicating that I wanted Scotch at my current location.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

J Miracle posted:

Use all those useful litigation skills they teach you in law school and sue their rear end.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

entris posted:

NO. It's "here here" because I was indicating that I wanted Scotch at my current location.

Carry on. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
gently caress USCIS and their price increases. Every single one of my clients is pushing me to file before the 23rd to avoid the new fees.