Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn
I just read attack & defense twice through while stuck in an airport. still just 11k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Hi, I'm new to this thread (why is it in A/T? I never go here. Put in Games?)

Used to be 7k, but haven't played much in a couple years. Now I'm working on getting a solid ranking again.

I look forward to playing with goons!
(Help me I can't get into ITGO) Nevermind, thanks Prodigious

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 6, 2010

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
My friend keeps babbling about Chess and he keeps making me want to play Go instead. Gah I need to get back into this.

I never really got anywhere skill-wise. Maybe around 17kyu at some point. But otherwise I just need to shut up and play games.

Or, at least, watch others. Go is fun :)

Also, there is an goon group on KGS? Awesome.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Reading through a tutorial on this. I love chess, and am decent enough at it, but this blows my mind.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Verr posted:

Reading through a tutorial on this. I love chess, and am decent enough at it, but this blows my mind.

I like Go a lot because it's so free and open in comparison to chess. After Go, chess feels a lot like two football teams trying to fight in a back alley. It's a great game, of course, but I don't have the deep calculation capacity for it just yet.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Hipster Scumbag posted:

I like Go a lot because it's so free and open in comparison to chess. After Go, chess feels a lot like two football teams trying to fight in a back alley. It's a great game, of course, but I don't have the deep calculation capacity for it just yet.

If you want to get that feeling in go, just play 9x9. It has all the read-all-the-way-to-endgame from chess that we know and love.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Under 15 posted:

If you want to get that feeling in go, just play 9x9. It has all the read-all-the-way-to-endgame from chess that we know and love.

When I'm bored sometimes I'll doodles a 7x7 in the margins of whatever I'm doing and it seems impossible for white to win or even survive on a 5x5

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

I've started playing go recently, still extremely inexperienced and I've only played against robots. I'm on KGS as medusoid; it'd be great to play against some other low-level goons out there.

Are there more people in the private room? SA seemed pretty dead, but maybe it's my timezone.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Discomedusae posted:

I've started playing go recently, still extremely inexperienced and I've only played against robots. I'm on KGS as medusoid; it'd be great to play against some other low-level goons out there.

Are there more people in the private room? SA seemed pretty dead, but maybe it's my timezone.

Ya, the private room is where people are active. Just keep askin'

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Ya, the private room is where people are active. Just keep askin'

People always join, and then say nothing. Maybe try saying hi?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Hipster Scumbag posted:

it seems impossible for white to win or even survive on a 5x5

:eng101: This is true, although white can often (always?) survive if white is really smart if black doesn't play tengen first even when black plays perfectly afterwards.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

helopticor posted:

:eng101: This is true, although white can often (always?) survive if white is really smart if black doesn't play tengen first even when black plays perfectly afterwards.

I always lead with tengen on 9x9 or smaller :) It's like getting tengen and four corner enclosures at the same time!

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Just made it to 10k... by the end of the year I may even be a single-digit kyu

Becoming one stone stronger is the supreme enjoyment.
- Go Seigen

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Hipster Scumbag posted:

Just made it to 10k... by the end of the year I may even be a single-digit kyu

Becoming one stone stronger is the supreme enjoyment.
- Go Seigen

Hipster I am roughly half a rank away from 9k, I think this month we should play lots of Go and achieve that enjoyment

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Hipster I am roughly half a rank away from 9k, I think this month we should play lots of Go and achieve that enjoyment

Make a new account KGS is slow to increase ranks.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Elby posted:

Make a new account KGS is slow to increase ranks.

Nah, it's fine. It's based on your last 50 games provided they are within a certain reasonable time period. If I win games my rank increases, if I lose them my rank decreases.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Nah, it's fine. It's based on your last 50 games provided they are within a certain reasonable time period. If I win games my rank increases, if I lose them my rank decreases.

It's based on all the ranked games that your opponents in the past six months have played in the last six months

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Ah, thanks Hels. In other news, I'm now SDK (KGS ranking)- it took almost 7 months from knowing nothing about Go at 30k in March. I expect to reach my goal of 1d by 2015!!! ahahaha

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

This means I have to Read Books now.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Ah, thanks Hels. In other news, I'm now SDK (KGS ranking)- it took almost 7 months from knowing nothing about Go at 30k in March. I expect to reach my goal of 1d by 2015!!! ahahaha

Congratulations! I'm hoping to make SDK by the end of the year, maybe - depends how much time I have to play.

IWantHam has also been shooting up through the ranks with surprising rapidity. I looked at his last 10k game and was pretty impressed by his victory by 35 points.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

If IWantHam had no prior knowledge of Go before he started playing on KGS then goddamn that's fast learning. One should expect to see him at 1d in a year provided he doesn't melt down first! Ahaha! ah!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
My goal is to be 3kyu by the end of the year, which should be possible. Currently 5k, was 10k in April.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

wossname put this picture in the OP

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Under 15 posted:

What a terrible shape.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Under 15 posted:

Looks good for Black

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

White still has some power in the bottom.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Black could have made better use of his handicap, I think.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I've started realizing that at least 50% of my lost games are due to me playing really lovely endgame moves.

I should probably stop playing for a while and just lock myself in a dark room with a bunch of yose books or something...

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
First time I've ever seen this error in KGS:
http://i.imgur.com/4qiZJ.png

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Buffis posted:

It happens from time to time if things are "complicated"

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
I have seen it a few times, but mostly in dan games. So congrats!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

It seems to happen more in complicated midgames, so yeah, mostly dan-level games. Lower level players tend to play less complex games and deplete aji a lot faster, so it's usually not a problem for the estimator to figure out. With that board, though, I don't really see why it is having trouble - maybe it's the group on the right and it can't decide if its a seki.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
Just a heads up for people wanting into the room, you might want to actually stay there for awhile. Sometimes we are going other things. BestGOer, you were kind of in the right room.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Under 15 posted:

It seems to happen more in complicated midgames, so yeah, mostly dan-level games. Lower level players tend to play less complex games and deplete aji a lot faster, so it's usually not a problem for the estimator to figure out. With that board, though, I don't really see why it is having trouble - maybe it's the group on the right and it can't decide if its a seki.

Yeah, that was my guess as well.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Elby posted:

Just a heads up for people wanting into the room, you might want to actually stay there for awhile. Sometimes we are going other things. BestGOer, you were kind of in the right room.

Yeah depending on the time of day there may not be very many people on or perhaps nobody at all. I would recommend just coming to the room a lot and spamming the poo poo out of it/the people in it

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Buffis posted:

textures off bitch

Edit: Can we start a new thread or something to get people interested because I'm still the worst player in the room.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 15, 2010

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

textures off bitch

Edit: Can we start a new thread or something to get people interested because I'm still the worst player in the room.

Hey, you were at least sdk for a little while... me, I went 10k and lost 3 out of 4 of my last games by -30 or worse

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
No girls allowed in the secret room.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

I liked playing this squeeze tesuji a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Buffis posted:

I liked playing this squeeze tesuji a lot.

More of a clamp tesuji than a squeeze, right? The idea is that black can't play L1, or else wK4, bK3, wJ4, bJ3, and wJ6 captures two stones, correct? What's black's best reply?