Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Brace posted:

Would I like BG1/2? RPGs I enjoy the most are more loot-based ones(Diablo) but also Morrowind/Oblivion. I didn't really like Fallout (The story/RPG elements were great, just didn't have the right feel for what I like in games) but I'm open to try some of these older acclaimed isometric RPGs because of how much praise they get. I got pretty into Dragon Age at one point as well.

Well, if you enjoyed Dragon Age, that's a good start, because (for the most part) Dragon Age is a 3D version of BG2. Same developers as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

ZakAce posted:

Well, if you enjoyed Dragon Age, that's a good start, because (for the most part) Dragon Age is a 3D version of BG2. Same developers as well.

Yeah, how does the combat differ though? Dragon Age's combat didn't rub me the right way, for some reason, possibly just the character I was playing but I sunk a good 40 hours into it on one playthrough.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
For anybody playing BG2 for the first time, consider the available NPCs before you decide one way or another on making your character. There's an inquisitor and a plate-wearing-axe-swinging warrior immediately available in the first city and they are both really good. Conversely the game kind of lacks decent wizards. You can make edwin work but he is kind of lovely due to his specialization.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Brace posted:

Yeah, how does the combat differ though? Dragon Age's combat didn't rub me the right way, for some reason, possibly just the character I was playing but I sunk a good 40 hours into it on one playthrough.

I hope you like pausing.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Toadsniff posted:

I hope you like pausing.

I don't mind, as long as it's not annoying and it's actually engaging/fun

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Brace posted:

Well I don't think I could deal with being a paladin in a D&D ruleset where you actually have to be paladin-like, I thought the mageslayer sounded kind of cool, also the berserker.

You only have to be "paladin-like" in the sense that you don't go around murdering innocents. You can lie, cheat, and even finish most quests the "evil" way without repercussions, you just have to keep your reputation above a certain level which is easy.

Note that there are one or two quests that will make you fall if you try to do them the evil way, but they're pretty obvious.

Also Berserkers own. Not as overpowered as Inquisitor or Kensai/Mage but still top tier stuff; Berserk comes with tons of useful immunities and ranged weapons mostly suck in BG2 anyway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

andrew smash posted:

For anybody playing BG2 for the first time, consider the available NPCs before you decide one way or another on making your character. There's an inquisitor and a plate-wearing-axe-swinging warrior immediately available in the first city and they are both really good. Conversely the game kind of lacks decent wizards. You can make edwin work but he is kind of lovely due to his specialization.

He's also evil. All the good dedicated casters (like Viconia) are evil for whatever reason and they'll leave you randomly once your reputation hits a certain point. You really can't go wrong with a mage or cleric but as mentioned a kensair/mage will cheese the game. Once you reach epic level and get that spell which removes casting time (alacrity I believe?) just cast time stop + that = instant win everything.

Brace posted:

I don't mind, as long as it's not annoying and it's actually engaging/fun

As with Dragon Age the goal to success is locking down your opponents and making sure the same doesn't happen to you. Anything that fucks your enemy over (hold person, charm, confusion) is godly and will ensure you win every single fight. The difference between DA and BG is that enemies can be any level. Just as an example, in the sewers under the priest district you'll fight some bandits who are slinging level 6 and 7 spells and will probably rock your party. BG also doesn't pull the bullshit invisible-enemy-magically-ambushes you fights. It's best to hide-in-shadows and scout ahead to see what monsters are hanging around. There are also moments when someone might turn hostile (but they're still blue) and you can "force attack" them. This is important because practically every wizard has a spell that automatically raises a bunch of defensive poo poo when they go hostile. There's even a trick to killing a nonhostile person by constantly attempt to talk to them while you have everyone else pelt that dude with arrows but you only receive a 1/4 of the normal experience points this way.

When magic doesn't work you revert to monster summoning. Even a useless wild dog is enough to distract an enemy long enough to damage them. Ranged attacks are also super good and there's no shortage of items that will let you fire 5+ arrows at once. I don't know if you're familiar with the AD&D rules but dart throwing fighters are super cheesy especially when you use poisoned and piercing darts and you pump all your proficiencies in darts.

The only other important thing to know is to always have your fighters carry a magical blunt, slashing, and piercing weapon. It doesn't occur too often but you'll fight enemies who are immune to a specific weapon type (like some golems in a stronghold).

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

Your morals are my morals. Your wishes are my code.

andrew smash posted:

Edwin lovely? He's hands down the best mage in the game you can get without cheating (including your PC) due to the ridiculous (unremovable) amulet he's wearing. You don't really miss out on (m)any important spells due to his specialization anyway.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Here is the current BG2 thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3136028

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

andrew smash posted:

You can make edwin work but he is kind of lovely due to his specialization.

You're going to get a lot of poo poo for this statement. Edwin is the poo poo in every way, you don't miss out on any overpowered spells and he's one of the most interesting characters in the game, plus if you bring Jan or Imoen along as a thief you'll have literally no gaps in your mage spells whatsoever.

He is also the only pure mage in the game and the only NPC mage that gets an extra slot in every spell school simply because he has a specialization, PLUS an extra two from his amulet, meaning he gets hands-down the most spells of any character in the game. The only actual bad thing I can think of to say about him is that his wisdom is low, making wish kind of lovely if he uses it.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 16, 2010

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
How does importing from BG1 work exactly? Hypothetically, if I imported a BG1 fighter could I make him into a kensai in BG2?

^^^ gently caress Jan and his turnips. Oswald Fiddlebender for life.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don't think you can pick a kit or change class when importing. However, you can just import a character, save and use Shadowkeeper to edit that save file.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
No you pick a kit when you import.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Kickass. Now I just need to finish IWD 1&2.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SheepNameKiller posted:

You're going to get a lot of poo poo for this statement. Edwin is the poo poo in every way, you don't miss out on any overpowered spells and he's one of the most interesting characters in the game, plus if you bring Jan or Imoen along as a thief you'll have literally no gaps in your mage spells whatsoever.

He is also the only pure mage in the game and the only NPC mage that gets an extra slot in every spell school simply because he has a specialization, PLUS an extra two from his amulet, meaning he gets hands-down the most spells of any character in the game. The only actual bad thing I can think of to say about him is that his wisdom is low, making wish kind of lovely if he uses it.

Also, let me remind you that Edwin's quest is comedy gold. Specifically, the conversations other party members have with him after the THING happens.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

al-azad posted:

He's also evil. All the good dedicated casters (like Viconia) are evil for whatever reason and they'll leave you randomly once your reputation hits a certain point. You really can't go wrong with a mage or cleric but as mentioned a kensair/mage will cheese the game. Once you reach epic level and get that spell which removes casting time (alacrity I believe?) just cast time stop + that = instant win everything.

As with Dragon Age the goal to success is locking down your opponents and making sure the same doesn't happen to you. Anything that fucks your enemy over (hold person, charm, confusion) is godly and will ensure you win every single fight. The difference between DA and BG is that enemies can be any level. Just as an example, in the sewers under the priest district you'll fight some bandits who are slinging level 6 and 7 spells and will probably rock your party. BG also doesn't pull the bullshit invisible-enemy-magically-ambushes you fights. It's best to hide-in-shadows and scout ahead to see what monsters are hanging around. There are also moments when someone might turn hostile (but they're still blue) and you can "force attack" them. This is important because practically every wizard has a spell that automatically raises a bunch of defensive poo poo when they go hostile. There's even a trick to killing a nonhostile person by constantly attempt to talk to them while you have everyone else pelt that dude with arrows but you only receive a 1/4 of the normal experience points this way.

When magic doesn't work you revert to monster summoning. Even a useless wild dog is enough to distract an enemy long enough to damage them. Ranged attacks are also super good and there's no shortage of items that will let you fire 5+ arrows at once. I don't know if you're familiar with the AD&D rules but dart throwing fighters are super cheesy especially when you use poisoned and piercing darts and you pump all your proficiencies in darts.

The only other important thing to know is to always have your fighters carry a magical blunt, slashing, and piercing weapon. It doesn't occur too often but you'll fight enemies who are immune to a specific weapon type (like some golems in a stronghold).

I really don't like cheesing through any game unless its right there infront of me, and I doubt that charm/hold/sleep whatever you said is pretty in your face, I'd rather fight my way through things :smug:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I imagine most people in this thread read the Steam thread too, but in case anyone missed it, did Microsoft ever rip off GOG's layout or what. :stare:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ha ha, wow!

It's almost like Microsoft doesn't have money to hire some professionals.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
At least Microsoft's website works in Opera browser. :iceburn:

Shame I have no interest in their website though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ah, worse is that I did have an interest, but as soon as I tried to login the site reminded me that I'm an unclean unamerican terrorist and thus cannot buy their stuff.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brace posted:

I really don't like cheesing through any game unless its right there infront of me, and I doubt that charm/hold/sleep whatever you said is pretty in your face, I'd rather fight my way through things :smug:

Confusion and fear are pretty standard spells and if you don't use them then the enemy will remind you how useful they are as basically every battle begins with fear + confusion + hold person + haste your entire party is now randomly walking around/attacking each other.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The thing about BG2 and Dungeons and Dragons in general is that the difficulty curve is essentially a big X, if you chart both warrior-types and mage-types. Mages are weak poo poo at beginning levels but by the time you get to Throne of Bhaal they are nigh-unstoppable. Likewise, warriors are powerful in the beginning but are essentially reduced to damage sponges in the closing hours of the game. Once you get to ToB you'll be worrying about overpowering mages more than anything else.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Is the GOG Downloader not working for anyone else? I WANT MY BG2 (I could download it manually, but I don't trust my connection)

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

al-azad posted:

Confusion and fear are pretty standard spells and if you don't use them then the enemy will remind you how useful they are as basically every battle begins with fear + confusion + hold person + haste your entire party is now randomly walking around/attacking each other.

As long as they're standard fare and not scummy I'm fine.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gog.com - Who cares what happened, they got Baldur's Gate 2 now!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
question: does Baldurs Gate Tutu remove the stupid, stupid respawning mechanic that BG1 had, because I'd love that

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Like in Firewine Bridge? Unfortunately not. Maybe elsewhere, though, I can't remember.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

404notfound posted:

Gog.com - Who cares what happened, they got Baldur's Gate 2 now!

The actual new title is better. Heh, nerds. :smug:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
but neverwinter nights was a few weeks ago!

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Mr Right posted:

At least Microsoft's website works in Opera browser. :iceburn:

Shame I have no interest in their website though.

But GoG works fine in Opera :confused:

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Holy poo poo that complete Icewind Dale is exactly what I've been craving for months ever since something reminded me that playing through it was the most fun I've had in a game ever. THANKS GOG THREAD!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Coolio posted:

D&D is pretty terrible.

Hey, someone convince me to play BG 1 and 2 even though I am well full sick of D&D. Like, to the point where even finally finishing Torment is something of an uphill struggle.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Hey, someone convince me to play BG 1 and 2 even though I am well full sick of D&D. Like, to the point where even finally finishing Torment is something of an uphill struggle.

if PST has too much combat for you, you probably will not like BG2 and will tear your teeth out at BG1

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Doc Hawkins posted:

If you find yourself wishing that Torment didn't have such a strong story, and want more combat then the Baldur's Gate series just might be for you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So now that all the Infinity Engine games are out, let's say I only want to get one- which one do you all recommend? I'm leaning towards BG2.
EDIT: Bear in mind I have never played an Infinity Engine game.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 16, 2010

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Planescape: Torment, definitely.
BG2 is all well and good, but Torment is just special.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

opblaaskrokodil posted:

Edwin lovely? He's hands down the best mage in the game you can get without cheating (including your PC) due to the ridiculous (unremovable) amulet he's wearing. You don't really miss out on (m)any important spells due to his specialization anyway.

It's been a while since I've played it so I'll admit that on reflection i was probably thinking of xan (zan? the enchanter guy) from BG1.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Luisfe posted:

Planescape: Torment, definitely.
BG2 is all well and good, but Torment is just special.

Torment is a cult classic - it's awesome for people who are into that kind of thing, but 'meh' for those who aren't.

For all-around appeal, BG2 for sure. It's got a good mix of story/combat, whereas Torment and IWD are on the extreme sides(story and combat respectively). Do pick up BG1 as well if you can.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

C-Euro posted:

So now that all the Infinity Engine games are out, let's say I only want to get one- which one do you all recommend? I'm leaning towards BG2.

BG2 is a better game in every respect. And it supports resolutions larger than 800X600 or whatever abysmally low res Torment runs at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the IE widescreen mod works for Torment FYI, so you can run it at any resolution you want without GUI stretching