Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paccione
Aug 17, 2003

The most famous shot in the history of television
What prevents my phone from receiving/recognizing the same radio signals a remote controlled helicopter receives from it's remote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Paccione posted:

What prevents my phone from receiving/recognizing the same radio signals a remote controlled helicopter receives from it's remote?

The same thing that keeps the helicopter from responding to your TV remote, or for your car radio to pick up air traffic control. They operate on different frequencies.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Mak0rz posted:

:eng101: You're posting in a thread that's located in a forum made just for that!

You did not read my question.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

You did not read my question.

You're looking for a place to ask a question longer than this thread was designed for. I suggested you make a thread in Ask/Tell.

It's what Ask/Tell is for...

EDIT: assuming it's not related to any of the subject-specific forums of course.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Elijya posted:

The same thing that keeps the helicopter from responding to your TV remote, or for your car radio to pick up air traffic control. They operate on different frequencies.

To expand on this, a single antenna is usually optimized to work for a single frequency. It's possible to add on a software (or hardware) filter to extend the range of an antenna - this is how your car radio works. However, the range that a given antenna will operate at is not infinite. Furthermore, antennas are designed so that, for a given configuration, it will only pick up radio waves from a very narrow bandwidth; this is what prevents radio stations from bleeding into one another. Your phone is listening very specifically to the spectrum that it expects cellular signals on. If it were listening to a wider bandwidth, there would be more noise on the signal, and with digital applications, anything past a certain threshold of noise means no operation whatsoever.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is there some kind of secret for making oatmeal in the microwave without it exploding out of the container?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Didn't CNN.com use to have a science category on the front page?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Use a deeper bowl and/or use your microwave’s lower power % settings.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Arriviste posted:

Use a deeper bowl and/or use your microwave’s lower power % settings.

It bubbles out even when I make it in a deep ceramic cup and cook it gradually. I know the ideal way is the stove but honestly I just don't have time for that.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Has anyone taken local comfort food to a friend and packed it in blue ice for a flight for a carry-on? Is TSA generally ok with this?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

change my name posted:

It bubbles out even when I make it in a deep ceramic cup and cook it gradually. I know the ideal way is the stove but honestly I just don't have time for that.
Well, aside from a much larger bowl and slower, lengthier cooking, you can stop it every once in a while and give it a stir before it goes ka-boom! Out of curiosity, I Googled the problem and ran across this thread: “Oatmeal boiling over…”. Liquid-to-oats ratio may play a role in your problem if you've eliminated the other factors?

Personally, I use my crock pot or rice cooker to make a big batch of McCann’s Steel Cut and portion that into individual servings for quick reheating. Properly-stored cooked oats will keep for about three months in the freezer!

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

change my name posted:

Is there some kind of secret for making oatmeal in the microwave without it exploding out of the container?

My secret recipe was always to make it in a bowl, one scoop oatmeal and an equal scoop of water. Mush the oatmeal down a bit so all of the oats get wet, then add a little more water as necessary. Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute--should come out perfect and fluffy. (I do 45 seconds but I have a 1300 watt microwave so adjust accordingly.)

edit: Then do yourself a favour and add a scoop of ON Rocky Road whey and two tbsp of natural peanut butter.

chachu fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 16, 2010

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

CatchrNdRy posted:

Has anyone taken local comfort food to a friend and packed it in blue ice for a flight for a carry-on? Is TSA generally ok with this?

If you are talking about ice packs, you can't take them on. Use bags of frozen peas, that's what pretty much everyone does now.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Very Strange Things posted:

If you are talking about ice packs, you can't take them on. Use bags of frozen peas, that's what pretty much everyone does now.

Not pure water, that ethyl alcohol/water mix. but i guess that's no good too.
Thanks for the info, I'll get some veggies.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
So, I uploaded a video on myspace back in the day. I no longer have the video on my computer. I would like to rip it off myspace so I can put it on facebook. How?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

davey4283 posted:

So, I uploaded a video on myspace back in the day. I no longer have the video on my computer. I would like to rip it off myspace so I can put it on facebook. How?
If you use Firefox, supposedly the DownloadHelper extension can do it. A stand-alone application is Orbit Downloader.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
That Firefox extension just worked perfectly. Thanks a lot, man. :v:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Are there any diseases that only affect Caucasians? Or at least diseases where incidence in non-Caucasians is very low indeed?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Anjow posted:

Are there any diseases that only affect Caucasians? Or at least diseases where incidence in non-Caucasians is very low indeed?
Tay-Sachs disease springs to mind.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008
Why do torrent uploaders use .nfo files instead of .txt files?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

a computer posted:

Why do torrent uploaders use .nfo files instead of .txt files?

Because they are not text files. Use a proper .nfo reader and you will see the diffference. >nfo readers show the ASCII art in its 'full' glory.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
What's the English word for this...

There is some sort of professional award being awarded but you don't make it to first prize. You got into the "finals" so to speak so instead of the award you get a framed paper that acknowledges you came close. How do you call that framed paper and that type of recognition in general?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
"Honorable Mention" is pretty common. There are a few other terms I can't seem to remember this morning.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
In regards to making oatmeal - why don't you just heat up water to near boiling (2-3 minutes) and then pour it into the dry oatmeal? It's what I do and works pretty well.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

DELETED posted:

"Honorable Mention" is pretty common. There are a few other terms I can't seem to remember this morning.

Nominee, Runner-Up, Finalist

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Taking a year off from school to room-and-board volunteer abroad overseas: good or bad idea?

Taking a year off *after* my degree to volunteer abroad: good, bad, or better idea?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Tostito posted:

Taking a year off *after* my degree to volunteer abroad: good, bad, or better idea?

Better idea, by far. Getting back into school after taking time off is a difficult hurdle that a lot of people don't overcome. I took a year off school and it turned into four years off because I couldn't ever slow down things enough. I wound up wishing I'd have graduated four years earlier instead of doing the other poo poo I did for four years.

The choice is entirely up to you though; you need to do what you feel is right. You'll likely get some experiences out of overseas travel that you'll never get in any school, and you can't put a price on that. You just have to ask yourself what will be more beneficial to you now and in the long run, make a choice, and do that thing like crazy.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Are Porter Cable tools any better than Riobi and B+D?
I want to get an 18V drill-driver, circular saw, reciprocal saw set for a non-profit community theater. Sets are built by professionals with their own tools primarily, so it would be for lighter-duty general household stuff and dismantling sets.
I know Porter Cable used to be more on the level of Makita, Dewalt, and Milwaukee, but the price is way too low for me to imagine that's the case.
I am asking a couple pros, but they always seem to be biased and never seem to want to recommend anything but what they use non-stop.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Someone better than me at liquid dynamics (thermodynamics?) tell me if this water cooling loop diagram will work (and work well). I have a specific set of components ready to buy hinging on whether this is correct or not:

What's throwing me is having two reservoirs, which admittedly, is an aesthetic choice. The case design is playing into the cooling loop, so I can lose one of the reservoirs and re-position the pump if I have to, I just don't want to unless it's functionally necessary.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 16, 2010

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Very Strange Things posted:

Are Porter Cable tools any better than Riobi and B+D?

Porter Cable was actually purchased by Black & Decker, who is rebranding Porter Cable to be their DIY amateur line (hence the price decrease). They also own DeWalt, which is marketed as their "pro" line. So Black & Decker is your entry-level, Porter Cable is mid-level, DeWalt is top-end. All three products are Black & Decker. All in all it's hard to categorize a tool by its brand. I have some B & D cord tools that are still my best tools and are 20 years old. I also have some old Craftsman tools that still work incredibly well. I've bought tools of all makes that haven't been great.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 16, 2010

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

Someone better than me at liquid dynamics (thermodynamics?) tell me if this water cooling loop diagram will work (and work well). I have a specific set of components ready to buy hinging on whether this is correct or not:

What's throwing me is having two reservoirs, which admittedly, is an aesthetic choice. The case design is playing into the cooling loop, so I can lose one of the reservoirs and re-position the pump if I have to, I just don't want to unless it's functionally necessary.

I'm assuming there is going to be overclocking done on the setup.

I'm no expert on water cooling but I would say that doing a series setup would be better. With a series you wouldn't need the splitter or the second reservoir. With your setup each component would get the same amount of cooling while each component gives off a different amount of heat. With the splitter you are dividing the mass flow rate out. You will get a better flow rate too since you won't have the two splitters in the system. The mobo block (Assuming the NB and SB) won't give off as much heat as your CPU would. The CPU will need a lot more cooling than the mobo will. If you want efficiency then you'd do one line which will give the most mass flow rate. I think...

Series setups look awesome too

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Slim Killington posted:

Porter Cable was actually purchased by Black & Decker, who is rebranding Porter Cable to be their DIY amateur line (hence the price decrease). They also own DeWalt, which is marketed as their "pro" line. So Black & Decker is your entry-level, Porter Cable is mid-level, DeWalt is top-end. ...

Thanks, I was almost sold on this kit but one of the pros just talked me out of it. I'm putting the link here because he said it was really an excellent deal IF we needed a cordless circular saw and a reciprocal saw but we really don't need either. He said the circular would devour batteries instantly and that we really wanted was a drilldriver, impact driver, a third battery, and a corded circular. I'm going to get them to spring for Makita after all.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
So then it would be best to do:

Pump -> CPU -> NB -> GPU -> SB -> out?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

So then it would be best to do:

Pump -> CPU -> NB -> GPU -> SB -> out?

The order should be the shortest tube route. You want the tube as short as possible without causing any resistance, so make sure there won't be kinks and don't use elbow bends. A couple extra inches shouldn't be a big deal.

The typical motherboard layout would be CPU -> NB -> GPU -> SB.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

sc4rs posted:

Nominee, Runner-Up, Finalist

Consolation prize, sometimes.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

There is/was a thread in SH/SC about helpful and or cool software that you use. It was huge so I don't have time to sort through it.

One person mentioned they have a program that allows them to use one mouse across multiple computers and even with different operating systems. Anyone know what this is? I have a pretty big need for it at work as I'm currently using three mice next to each other.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike
Synergy

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Mak0rz posted:

You're looking for a place to ask a question longer than this thread was designed for. I suggested you make a thread in Ask/Tell.

It's what Ask/Tell is for...

EDIT: assuming it's not related to any of the subject-specific forums of course.

Thank you, I am an idiot.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Drevoak posted:

The order should be the shortest tube route. You want the tube as short as possible without causing any resistance, so make sure there won't be kinks and don't use elbow bends. A couple extra inches shouldn't be a big deal.

The typical motherboard layout would be CPU -> NB -> GPU -> SB.

Just one final thing to clarify then, will a second reservoir cause a problem or a hindrance? Again it's aesthetic, it's purely for look because I want it to be there. The only way I'm not installing it is if it's detrimental to the loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Thanks Daemus, that's what I was looking for.