Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

gotly posted:

Oh man I want a Genz-Benz Shuttle 9.0 so bad. Quick question, has Avatar ever made a 300 watt version of their 2x10 Neo? I bought my 2x10 and 2x12 used and ran across someone talking about a 300 watt 2x10 version. I thought my cabs were both rated for 500 watts but never put close to that much power through them. Now that I'm thinking of buying a 900 watt head, I want to know for sure. Is there a way to tell?

Honestly if you're going to spring for the 9.0, you should really look at the ShuttleMAX 12.0. So much more versatile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thequiethero
Aug 13, 2002

Dork-rock rules
I'm currently trying to learn 'Portrait of Tracy' by Jaco Pastorius. It's way out out my skill level, but it's so fun to play. Anyone know of any other music like this?

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBG_2tPiOU
Tab: http://www.bassmasta.net/p/pastorius,_jaco/162835.html

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
My refinishing project is almost done! I've got 2 more days of spraying nitro clear coat and then letting it hang for a month, then it's time to finish it off and set it up!

No sneak previews this time, but I'll post the finished product. There were a lot of setbacks and it took months to finally get around to finishing, but I wanted to say thanks to everybody for their information and encouragement. Especially whoever it was that told me I should keep it and finish it when I was trying to sell it.

I'm feeling confident about it, it looks better than I imagined it would have turned out; the entire project was like sailing through fog though, I was constantly unsure of myself. No matter how many times you re-read the instructions, you only really see what's going on when you do it.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The easiest way to figure out what the speaker handles is to take a speaker out and check the label/markings.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My band needs a bass player, and I have free time, so I'm now the proud borrower of a piece of poo poo bass that someone had lying around.

Oh dear god what have I gotten myself into now

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Scarf posted:

Honestly if you're going to spring for the 9.0, you should really look at the ShuttleMAX 12.0. So much more versatile.

Eh, but I'd probably never utilize all the extras.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

thequiethero posted:

I'm currently trying to learn 'Portrait of Tracy' by Jaco Pastorius. It's way out out my skill level, but it's so fun to play. Anyone know of any other music like this?

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBG_2tPiOU
Tab: http://www.bassmasta.net/p/pastorius,_jaco/162835.html

I don't know if there is anything out there like this piece - it's certainly one of a kind. One of my good friends knows how to play it, an can ACTUALLY play it halfway decent for the most part. As far as similar-esque songs, you could always work on Teen Town, which is a bitch to learn but it'll improve your ability to play quick runs of notes.

That same bassist and I are both comfortable on electric and upright, with him a bit stronger on upright and me better on electric. There is a concert coming up in December where we would have a chance to perform something, so I threw together a duet of upright and fretless bass playing 'Crazy Train.' I exported the Finale part to an .mp3, so I apologize for the crappy MIDI sounds. Any thoughts or criticism would be appreciated.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?m4ya1ztipgt96t9

Golden War
Jan 18, 2004

Has anyone here been following whats going on with David Nordschow Amplification (http://dnaamps.com)? He's the guy that originally founded David Eden. Looks like they have some nice cabinets available now but I'm really interested to see what his new amps can do. They've been pretty hush, hush about all of it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dickeye posted:

My band needs a bass player, and I have free time, so I'm now the proud borrower of a piece of poo poo bass that someone had lying around.

Oh dear god what have I gotten myself into now

You my friend have got yourself into FUN

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
:black101: Sold my bass & gear for the asking price!

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Tried out a bunch of amps today!

Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 - This is all they had at any store. Very unimpressed. Dubious build quality, tone wasn't that great, really missing some bottom end. I wasn't playing it out of the nicest cab but still. I'm glad I tried it out in a store first. Fake edit: I'm going to throw it in a bigger cab (was playing it in a 2x10 by its self) and see if I like it better.

Ampeg SVT-4 PRO - I'm in love. This is the perfect example of what I want from a bass amp. Too bad it'll overpower my cabs. They can handle 500 each and they'd be getting 625. (I think? http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/SVT4PRO.pdf)

Orange Tiny Terror BT500H 500W Bass Amp Head - This thing sounded really good. I'm looking for about double the wattage though. I also hate how it looks.

Ampeg SVT-3PRO - Flat sounding compared to the SVT-4. Opposite problem here, only 450 watts. :(

Mesa Boogie M6 Carbine 600W - Sounded good, but definitely didn't sound $1,000 for 600 watts good. Overpriced.

Does Ampeg make a 700-1000 watt SVT-4 sounding head? I'm still searching.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

gotly posted:

Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 - This is all they had at any store. Very unimpressed. Dubious build quality, tone wasn't that great, really missing some bottom end. I wasn't playing it out of the nicest cab but still. I'm glad I tried it out in a store first. Fake edit: I'm going to throw it in a bigger cab (was playing it in a 2x10 by its self) and see if I like it better.

Ampeg SVT-4 PRO - I'm in love. This is the perfect example of what I want from a bass amp. Too bad it'll overpower my cabs. They can handle 500 each and they'd be getting 625. (I think? http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/SVT4PRO.pdf)

Orange Tiny Terror BT500H 500W Bass Amp Head - This thing sounded really good. I'm looking for about double the wattage though. I also hate how it looks.

Ampeg SVT-3PRO - Flat sounding compared to the SVT-4. Opposite problem here, only 450 watts. :(

Mesa Boogie M6 Carbine 600W - Sounded good, but definitely didn't sound $1,000 for 600 watts good. Overpriced.

SVT-8 Pro is 2500watts into 2ohms. But it is retarded to ever need that much clean headroom. Even 1000w is pretty drat ridiculous. Any place where you'd need that kind of output, you're going to be going through a PA as well.

As for the GB, jeez it almost sounds like you were going through an abused floor model, or returned unit. I've never seen anything but wonderful QC on their amps.

EDIT: And you need to keep a few things in mind... Just because an amp is rated at say 1200 RMS, that doesn't mean your speakers will be getting that load ALL the time. Only if you're pushing it really hard to it's maximum. Most speaker damage comes from clipping, coming from the amp.

Also, the SVT4 Pro is 1200w when in mono-bridged arrangement. If you ran it in the Dual Mono mode, each speaker would be receiving the 300w @ 8ohms each.

edit again: vvvv beaten.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 14, 2010

DrChu
May 14, 2002

gotly posted:

You have 8 ohm cabs, so that SVT-4 Pro will only put 350 watts into each which would be fine for them.

Orange does make a 1000W version of the Terror Bass

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Long story short, the svt-4 pro is great because of it's versatility in power and tone. Being bridgeable along with full-range and being able to send your highs/lows to separate cabinets is awesome.

Must make sure you're hooking them up in the Dual Mono arrangement.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

DrChu posted:

You have 8 ohm cabs, so that SVT-4 Pro will only put 350 watts into each which would be fine for them.

Orange does make a 1000W version of the Terror Bass

Ah that makes a lot more sense. I didn't realize it was two separate power amps. I'm so used to bridging the two I thought I'd be looking at the numbers for 4 ohms. I'll probably buy this :D.

Now to decide to buy it for $800 like-new or $1,400 new with a 5 year warranty...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

gotly posted:

Ah that makes a lot more sense. I didn't realize it was two separate power amps. I'm so used to bridging the two I thought I'd be looking at the numbers for 4 ohms. I'll probably buy this :D.

Now to decide to buy it for $800 like-new or $1,400 new with a 5 year warranty...

Bridging refers to power-amps, you're referring to setting up speaker cabinets in series or parallel...

YOU COULD still daisy chain your cabinets together, bringing you to 4 ohms of resistance, and hook them up to one of the power-amps, but then you'd be splitting 490w between the two of them. But the Dual Mono arrangement keeps them both at 8 ohms, but gives them 300w a piece.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Scarf posted:

I thought about that too, but it's more power than I would ever need. Plus, I'm really not into the channel-switching double-speaker-load thing- gimme one channel that sounds good and I'm happy.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
The 1000 watt version of Terror Bass isn't out yet. I have the 500 watt model and it's awesome. I dunno, maybe you do need the whole 1000 watt (can't imagine what for but eh, I guess there's a market for it since they're actually making it...).

Can't go wrong with an SVT-4 Pro tho.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Scarf posted:

As for the GB, jeez it almost sounds like you were going through an abused floor model, or returned unit. I've never seen anything but wonderful QC on their amps.

Yeah I'm going back on Monday when they're open with my cabs to see how the Genz-Benz 6.0 shuttle sounds in a 2x12 and 2x10. The 9.0 is virtually the same amp with more power, right? Meaning if I like what I hear on the 6.0 it'll be the same but with more overhead on the 9.0?

I'm still flopping back and forth between finding something compact or springing for the SVT-4. I never leave my rig in the same place for more than a week and the prospect of having a 45 LB amp is painful.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

gotly posted:

Yeah I'm going back on Monday when they're open with my cabs to see how the Genz-Benz 6.0 shuttle sounds in a 2x12 and 2x10. The 9.0 is virtually the same amp with more power, right? Meaning if I like what I hear on the 6.0 it'll be the same but with more overhead on the 9.0?

I'm still flopping back and forth between finding something compact or springing for the SVT-4. I never leave my rig in the same place for more than a week and the prospect of having a 45 LB amp is painful.

Apparently the 6.0 is weaker in the low end than both the 3.0 and 9.0. I had a 6.0 for a year but the lacking low end always bothered me, you should try out an actual 9.0.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

gotly posted:

Have a look at the T.C Electronics Rebelhead 450. I spent a lot of time looking for a decently priced micro amp that produced something near an 'ampeg' tone, and found this thing to be it. It's small, it sounds excellent, it's got heaps of features, and it's 450w. In my opinion, the tone it puts out beat the pants off the lower end Ampegs, and the GK Shuttles. That said, I play heavier music and was looking for a meatier tone.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If you want fantastic Ampeg tone, all you really need is a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal. Hell, I bypass the preamp on my amp and use the VT as a pre.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

baka kaba posted:

You my friend have got yourself into FUN

Like hell I did

I got myself out of trying to learn two instruments at the same time, thanks to a change in plans.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You just derailed the fun train, I hope you're happy :mad:

Seriously they're fairly similar instruments so there's a lot of carryover, you'll build up finger strength and rhythm and understand more about how music gets put together. I started on guitar but I wish I hadn't waited so long to get a bass, they're fun as hell

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

With that in mind guys, I've been thinking that a bass sounds super fun - but I'm only a few weeks into 'really' learning how to play a guitar. Some of my friends have told me to try learning the bass out instead, or simultaneously - and others have said that the musical theory and principals with guitar learning carry over so I should wait until I have a solid guitar foundation. Thoughts?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

The Will posted:

With that in mind guys, I've been thinking that a bass sounds super fun - but I'm only a few weeks into 'really' learning how to play a guitar. Some of my friends have told me to try learning the bass out instead, or simultaneously - and others have said that the musical theory and principals with guitar learning carry over so I should wait until I have a solid guitar foundation. Thoughts?

I'd honestly pick the instrument you like better and try to stick to it. They're two different instruments and play differently (bass isn't just a dumbed down guitar and the people who think this will never make good bassists) and while it's easier to go from guitar to bass you still have to learn a lot to become a good bassist. If you learning both at the same time you migh become overwhelmed since learning one instrument (with music theory on the side if I understood correctly?) is really hard and requires a lot of patience.

If you do plan on learning both and plan on actually playing both, learning the bass first isn't a bad option either. It's a bit easier for someone with no previous musical experience than guitar since it's got you know, less strings and no chords and whatnot :)

In the end it all boils down to motivation. Do you feel you have enough of it to practise two instruments daily for up to years?

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 15, 2010

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I guess if I'm honest, I couldn't say in good conscience that I have the drive to practice two instruments daily for years. I guess the way to find this out would be to borrow a bass to play for a few weeks too, and see how I find it? I don't have practical experience with one yet.

As an addition, I jammed with a friend for the first time yesterday and it was awesome. My first desire was to be able to play my own music and be self sufficient, but now I realise that doing it with other people is great too - I get the impression that bassists are rarer and in more demand, and by nature go well with other musicians?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

The Will posted:

I guess if I'm honest, I couldn't say in good conscience that I have the drive to practice two instruments daily for years. I guess the way to find this out would be to borrow a bass to play for a few weeks too, and see how I find it? I don't have practical experience with one yet.

In my opinion that would be a good idea, yes. I wrote my previous post on the assumption that you want to become good at both, that is learning all the tehcniques involved as well as theory. If you just want to be a good guitarist and know some bass on the side, stick to guitar. They're similar enough and it's easier to go from guitar to bass than the other way around.

Whatever you do, don't buy an expensive bass before you know if you'll like it at all.

The Will posted:

As an addition, I jammed with a friend for the first time yesterday and it was awesome. My first desire was to be able to play my own music and be self sufficient, but now I realise that doing it with other people is great too - I get the impression that bassists are rarer and in more demand, and by nature go well with other musicians?

I know more bassists than guitarists, at least good ones so this probably different everywhere. We're really hurting for good drummers here. But yeah, I guess guitar works by itself but a bass is more of a band instrument. Depends what you want to do. You can write songs on both.

I'd say playing well with other people is the most important thing if you want to form a band at some point. I've played with plenty of people who are technical, have a good grasp of theory but can't for the life of them jam or improvise because they don't listen to other people. It's also the best way to improve; play with musicians better than you. Theory is very useful but there are plenty of amazing musicians who've never had any formal training or know next to no theory.

If you're not sure, try both out and play with other people as much as you can. You'll notice which instrument you like better sooner or later.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 15, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Will posted:

Yes and no...

Of course it'll depend on where you are and just the general make-up of the music community in your area, but for the most part you'll see the "bassist" population made up of two groups.

You'll have your actual bassists; musicians whose primary instrument is the bass, know their rhythmic theory/roll of the bass, etc. etc. Then you'll have people who are just "bass players" as I like to refer to them. They're usually guitarists who just happen to own a bass and can get by on the instrument; they picked it up because there's a PLETHORA of guitarists and the competition in the band-market is much more intense. So they bide their time in a band playing an instrument they're not always 100% interested in. Which of course can change, there's been several famous bassists that originally started out as guitarists. Berry Oakley of the Allman Bros. for one...

You'll find the latter category to be much more common, at least I have around these parts. Again, that isn't to say they're not good at the instrument... Some people are just incredibly musically talented. It's like any other instrument though, it can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it.

And honestly, it's pretty nice being a bassist here, I have my pick of a lot of projects to get involved in if I'm looking for work. A lot of bands that really want to put the work in will get pretty tired of a "bass player" after a while if they don't get more dedicated to the instrument.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
You're more likely to blow a speaker underpowering it (that is, having less power than you need and driving the power amp to distortion, which makes square waves in a solid state power amp, which kills speakers) than overpowering it.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

Hekat posted:

Might you have any of these exercises you could link me to?
I don't play 5-string and I didn't mean to sound like an authority. Check out "The Evolving Bassist" and rewrite the patterns in the open string exercises in the first chapter to apply to 5 strings. Doing those exercises on 4-string every day for 6 weeks did more to improve my technique and physical approach to the instrument than anything else I did. Articulating everything cleanly, perfectly in time and with great tone did a whole lot to change my conception of the bass from "oversized guitar with fewer strings" to how I think of it now, and I ended up loving the instrument so much I switched to upright (which is an entirely different animal.)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hekat posted:

Might you have any of these exercises you could link me to?

Honestly StudyBass is a great website and I think it's well worth going through - it's based around 4-string bass but any of the exercises that aren't about scales (any that aren't about playing specific notes like C or E) you can just play on the 5th string too. Like this:

code:
G|-------------------------1-2-3-4----------
D|-----------------1-2-3-4------------------
A|---------1-2-3-4--------------------------
E|-1-2-3-4----------------------------------
can be turned into this:

code:
G|---------------------------------1-2-3-4--
D|-------------------------1-2-3-4----------
A|-----------------1-2-3-4------------------
E|---------1-2-3-4--------------------------
B|-1-2-3-4----------------------------------
All you're doing is following a pattern and moving to the next string, so you can easily throw the B string in there too. It will work for everything - if the exercise is playing a note, then playing the octave two frets and two strings higher, that will work on the B string as well.

If you're supposed to play a specific note (like a C) it does matter what string you're on, and for the exercises you'll probably just ignore your extra string and play along on the top four. But as you progress and learn the instrument you'll start to incorporate the extra notes your B string gives you. Honestly it'll probably click pretty quickly

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You're more likely to blow a speaker underpowering it (that is, having less power than you need and driving the power amp to distortion, which makes square waves in a solid state power amp, which kills speakers) than overpowering it.

This is just wrong, utterly wrong. That isn't how amps or speakers work.

Speakers blow up by having their maximum range of movement exceeded (xmax parameter) that places excessive stress on the cone, or having the amount of power the driver is rated for exceeded. Square waves do not kill speakers, either, because of the amount of mass and momentum in the drivers, which clips the edges of the waveform.

The only thing overdriving a solid state poweramp is going to get you is some loving lovely angry buzzy distortion.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Anyone have any experience with Speakon connectors? I bought a used Speakon to 1/4" adapter after I realized my new Shuttle 9 doesn't have 1/4" jacks, and it's giving me nothing but grief. I got no sound out of the Shuttle, and now the drat thing is stuck in the jack. I Googled "stuck speakon" and there's not a lot of advice out there. Several people mentioned that it's easy to insert it the wrong way around and get it stuck, but mine's the right way up, and it locks and unlocks without any difficulty, just doesn't want to come out of the socket. Did I gently caress something up or did I get a bad cable?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Square waves exceed the xmax of the speaker and don't allow the voice coil to cool properly, causing melted voice coils.

I'm not going back on what I said. I certainly know you can blow a speaker by overpowering it, but the most common reason for a bass speaker blowing is because you're pushing the amp harder than you should be.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Juaguocio posted:

Anyone have any experience with Speakon connectors? I bought a used Speakon to 1/4" adapter after I realized my new Shuttle 9 doesn't have 1/4" jacks, and it's giving me nothing but grief. I got no sound out of the Shuttle, and now the drat thing is stuck in the jack. I Googled "stuck speakon" and there's not a lot of advice out there. Several people mentioned that it's easy to insert it the wrong way around and get it stuck, but mine's the right way up, and it locks and unlocks without any difficulty, just doesn't want to come out of the socket. Did I gently caress something up or did I get a bad cable?

You are twisting the cable after you unlock it, right?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

DrChu posted:

You are twisting the cable after you unlock it, right?

Yes, isn't that how the locking mechanism works?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Juaguocio posted:

Yes, isn't that how the locking mechanism works?

On one of my cables, there's a collar around the jack that you have to pull up, then you can twist the cable out. My other cable is similar, but instead of a full collar there's just a switch you move then twist.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

DrChu posted:

On one of my cables, there's a collar around the jack that you have to pull up, then you can twist the cable out. My other cable is similar, but instead of a full collar there's just a switch you move then twist.

I think mine is the "collar" variety. The collar moves and the cable twists, but it ain't budging. I don't want to mess the jack up so I'm just gonna take the whole amp to the store where I bought the cable, plunk it down and say "what gives?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Seriously they're fairly similar instruments so there's a lot of carryover, you'll build up finger strength and rhythm and understand more about how music gets put together. I started on guitar but I wish I hadn't waited so long to get a bass, they're fun as hell

I was all set to buy a guitar (took a couple lessons in high school a decade or so back) but when I started really listen to what I like to listen to I'm not paying attention to the guitar so much as the bass. It made me really want to buy a bass, but the one i want (Squier Jaguar) is more expensive than the guitar I was going to get (Squier Affinity).

Now I'm rethinking that I just want SOMETHING to tide me over until I can afford the Jaguar, so I'm thinking I'll bite on the guitar sooner rather than later. I'm kicking myself for not jumping on a used one at GC last month.

Lot of words, sorry...all I know is I want to learn to play bass, without knowing anything at all about what that entails. This thread is a great resource.

Edit: Probably also worth mentioning that I have no idea if I have any musical talent. I played piano for a while in jr high to early high school. I just figure I've got to have some talent somewhere...this seems like a fun place to look for it.

Pehther fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 16, 2010