Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
More proof of America's two-tier justice system:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/08/martin-erzinger-morgan-stanley-hit-and-run-_n_780294.html

(Wealth manager for Morgan Stanley won't face charges for hit-and-run, because prosecutors don't want him to lose his job.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Hobologist posted:

My concern is more on the exhaustion of administrative remedies requirement. Plenty of opportunities for the state administration to "lose" paperwork, delay proceedings, and, of course, it is an invitation of reprisal from prison staff. Goro would know more about whether this is a severe problem, but the potential for abuse is there.

Exhaustion of remedies is kinda bad (namely because there is no futility defense). That said there are PLENTY of jailhouse lawyers who know the entire administrative procedure and when I was defending corrections we didn't have a lot of defective filings. The main problem I saw is that there are usually strict time limits for filing appeals and considering the haphazard/terrible system of prison mail people occasionally get dismissed for failure to exhaust who shouldn't have been (although I've also seen judges ignore the time limits where the prisoner has some evidence that they followed the mailbox rule).

On reprisal, it does happen BUT these cases tend to make it to jury trial a lot (summary judgment/dismissal is not appropriate for he said/she said). Also, most prison staff are not even aware that they are being sued unless the prisoner him/herself tells him (we actually got in trouble with this because we had a prison guard look like a skeeze in a deposition because he didn't know how many times he had been sued).

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Sir John Falstaff posted:

More proof of America's two-tier justice system:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/08/martin-erzinger-morgan-stanley-hit-and-run-_n_780294.html

(Wealth manager for Morgan Stanley won't face charges for hit-and-run, because prosecutors don't want him to lose his job.)

Huff post is a poo poo source, go deeper: http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20101104/NEWS/101109939/1078&ParentProfile=1062

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Maarak posted:

Huff post is a poo poo source, go deeper: http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20101104/NEWS/101109939/1078&ParentProfile=1062

Um, what's the substantive difference between those articles? And, how is the "Vail Daily" a particularly reputable source?

Edit:

A few other links:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/11/felony-charge-dropped-because-it-could-affect-wealth-managers-job/1
http://blogs.forbes.com/halahtouryalai/2010/11/08/wall-street-broker-escapes-felony-hit-and-run-charge/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1327323/Morgan-Stanley-financial-adviser-escapes-felony-charges-hit-run-jeopardise-job.html

I think my "favorite" part is:

"Felony convictions have some pretty serious job implications for someone in Mr. Erzinger's profession."

Like they don't for, say, anyone looking to get or retain any job.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 8, 2010

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I think my "favorite" part is:

"Felony convictions have some pretty serious job implications for someone in Mr. Erzinger's profession."

Like they don't for, say, anyone looking to get or retain any job.

I wonder how long it will take before the bankers become bold enough to start wearing crowns.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Frontline had a very interesting story 4 men who falsely confessed to crimes and the prosecutions desperate attempt to keep those confessions alive.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/the-confessions/

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
  • CA: Budget held hostage by prison costs.

• IA: Opponents & protestors stop Urbandale immigrant prison.

• PA: Township supervisors face hostile crowds opposed to a new GEO for-profit prison.

• MI & CA: GEO prison housing CA inmates will operate without state oversight.

quote:

The GEO prison is not regulated by the Michigan Dept. of Corrections or otherwise licensed by Michigan, officials said. Public oversight for the enterprise will be provided by a single California prison official who will be on site at the facility for approximately half of each month

quote:

"[For-profit prisons] are paying staff 8 dollars an hour and you have total amateurs dealing with serious offenders,” said Frank Smith. “It’s not a career, its job you have between Wendy’s and McDonalds.”

• IL: Are legislative maps hurting prison reforms?

• Republican-controlled House and the Drug War: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

quote:

"Budgetary issues is where I'm most optimistic," said Bill Piper, veteran national affairs director for the Drug Policy Alliance. "Given the fiscal climate, there could be real cuts in the federal budget. Next year is probably an unprecedented opportunity to de-fund the federal drug war. These new Republicans are a different breed—anti-government, anti-spending, pro-states' rights, and some are proven to be prone to bucking the leadership. If the Republican leadership votes to preserve the drug war, they may rebel," he said.

• Resisting Gender Violence and the Prison-Industrial Complex: an interview with Victoria Law.

• Coalition of human rights & criminal justice organizations announces opposition to Obama's nominee to head U.S. Marshals, because of her ties to for-profit prison companies.

quote:

"This is a prime example of the revolving door between the public and for-profit private sectors turning full circle," said Alex Friedmann, associate editor of Prison Legal News, a project of the Human Rights Defense Center that reports on criminal justice issues. "After cashing in on her experience in public law enforcement by taking a consulting job with GEO Group, Ms. Hylton has now been nominated for a high-level federal position where she will oversee detention services for the U.S. Marshals – including services provided by private prison firms such as GEO."

HidingFromGoro fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 15, 2010

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

HidingFromGoro posted:

[*]IL: Opponents & protestors stop Urbandale immigrant prison.

This is actually in Iowa. Urbandale is a suburb of Des Moines, the capitol of Iowa.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HidingFromGoro posted:

This is the only thing that gives me hope about this disgusting situation. At some point it will become fiscally impossible to keep ignoring the issue and legislators might figure out that a social safety net costs less than incarcerating everyone.

Of course bullets cost less than a social safety net, so it could go the other way (and we all know it has before).

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

This is the only thing that gives me hope about this disgusting situation. At some point it will become fiscally impossible to keep ignoring the issue and legislators might figure out that a social safety net costs less than incarcerating everyone.

Of course bullets cost less than a social safety net, so it could go the other way (and we all know it has before).

The fact the courts have pretty much said "Release 40K people now or else" indicates that at some point this poo poo is going to hit crisis. The problem is what does "or else" mean?

*Im aware thats not the actual wording. My point is, the order is there, it just seems like its getting ignored. The question is, how will the courts enforce it, if they do at all.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

duck monster posted:

The fact the courts have pretty much said "Release 40K people now or else" indicates that at some point this poo poo is going to hit crisis. The problem is what does "or else" mean?

It means sending the inmates to for-profit prisons in other states such as Michigan, where they will be incarcerated without government oversight.

That's what it means.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Sourcebook on Solitary Confinement (98-page PDF)

quote:

The Sourcebook on solitary confinement provides a comprehensive single point of reference on solitary confinement, its documented health effects, and professional, ethical and human rights guidelines and codes of practice relating to its use.
  • Front pages
  • Chapter 1: Introduction
  • Chapter 2: The health effects of solitary confinement
  • Chapter 3: The decision to place prisoners and detainees in solitary confinement
  • Chapter 4: Design, physical conditions and regime in solitary confinement units
  • Chapter 5: Ethics in prison medicine
  • Chapter 6: Inspection and monitoring
  • Chapter 7: Summary of recommendations
  • End pages
Resources and links

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Are doctors complicit in prison torture?

Maine tortures women, too.

Screams from solitary: by dehumanizing prisoners, we dehumanize ourselves.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

HidingFromGoro posted:

It means sending the inmates to for-profit prisons in other states such as Michigan, where they will be incarcerated without government oversight.

That's what it means.

At a guess, in the long run this will cost the State more than building and running its own prisons but because the cost is spread out over time and there are no significant up-front costs they can massage it into the figures?

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have something of a guilty pleasure. I love reading websites and watching COPS style shows that are sort of the other side of this issue. You see someone get busted, noteworthy either because the person was enormously stupid and ignorant, or the crime was particularly heinous, and I find myself torn. Objectively, our system is a travesty, but psychologically, I do sometimes see people like that and I have a hard time finding sympathy for them.

I'm talking about seeing videos of someone brazenly walking into a business, shooting someone without even asking for money, in front of innocent people and taking $37. I'm talking about seeing a meth head killing his girlfriend, then killing his own children as a form of revenge.

Or the worst one I saw, hearing about a newly we couple get abducted, gang raped, mutilated, dismembered, and tortured to death over three days for literally no reason, a completely random crime. We're not talking about someone losing their temper, they just decided to torture this couple to death.

Or this thing where some girl from the suburbs got abducted and sold into sex slavery, where she was drugged and repeatedly raped and these heartless pimps just brazenly sell these women over craiglist like a used couch.

Its hard to think about this rationally when you see that many of these inmates, even if not a majority are evil evil people who have done unforgivable things, and not even as a crime of passion or poor judgment, but deliberately, heartlessly, and without conscience.

The only thing that makes me hostile to the prison system, is that prosecutors, and the machine in general, seem to want to treat every single suspect, conviction, or evidence or not, like they are one of these people (provided they aren't a well connected white person.) Even if their crimes are really petty, like that starving homeless guy who steals $100 because he's starving and got several years.

Not that I am OK with seeing one of these evil people tortured or raped, even if they deserve it but, its kind of hard to make the case, even for myself.

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

Not recommended on thin sections.
You're talking about the 1%ers. Or rather 1% of 1%ers.

Why should the other 99(.9%) of people in there for random bullshit, mostly drugs, have to live through a fresh hell like what we read about in Dickens, or worse? The very poo poo we trump as a reason to go invade some random nation is the very poo poo we do here. The very poo poo we liked to use to bludgeon the rest of the world as being uncivilized her and you're trying to rationalize it.

Even the worst of the worst is still a human being and WE should have our standards, not rationalize and justify a deterioration of prison conditions on our watch as "heh they deserve it" - not even if it was only the worst of the worst enduring it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Fire posted:

Not that I am OK with seeing one of these evil people tortured or raped, even if they deserve it but, its kind of hard to make the case, even for myself.

I get the impression that what might be commonly called 'evil', may in fact be properly termed 'sociopathic'. People with broken processing of empathy that seem uncapable of giving other humans full equal status as beings worthy of moral consideration. It very well might be a broken-brain type thing.

Most people, including criminals, don't necesarily see themselves as evil people. Most are in bad circumstances or misunderstand the rules of behavior society needs to function fairly. And theres a small percentage who see other people as meat.

I do then wonder if sociopathy can be fixed. If it can't , well we have a problem, but if it can, I don't see why long term imprisonment is necessary for anything, assuming treatment is possible.

self counterargument: See Clockwork orange.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

duck monster posted:

I get the impression that what might be commonly called 'evil', may in fact be properly termed 'sociopathic'. People with broken processing of empathy that seem uncapable of giving other humans full equal status as beings worthy of moral consideration. It very well might be a broken-brain type thing.

Most people, including criminals, don't necesarily see themselves as evil people. Most are in bad circumstances or misunderstand the rules of behavior society needs to function fairly. And theres a small percentage who see other people as meat.

I do then wonder if sociopathy can be fixed. If it can't , well we have a problem, but if it can, I don't see why long term imprisonment is necessary for anything, assuming treatment is possible.

self counterargument: See Clockwork orange.

Plus, how much of their psychological problems have roots in the lovely society we provide? Why aren't there such insane sickos at the same rate of occurrence in countries with high qualities of life across all income spectrums, strong social services, and more human prison sentences, and cops that don't otherize and shoot on site?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Fire posted:

There's your problem, you think some people can deserve to be tortured or raped.

it's just my opinion, but i don't think any human being, ever, can deserve to be raped or tortured. No matter how heinous the acts, torture and rape (which can be considered a form of torture) are never warranted.

Society disagrees with me, obviously, but the easiest way to account for that 1% of 1% who are completely "evil". if you can believe that even these people do not deserve to be tortured, you can easily reconcile the "bad" part of prison reform. No one deserves that kind of treatment. Not even someone who tortures and dismembers a person over the course of a month.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fire posted:

Its hard to think about this rationally when you see that many of these inmates, even if not a majority are evil evil people who have done unforgivable things, and not even as a crime of passion or poor judgment, but deliberately, heartlessly, and without conscience.

The only thing that makes me hostile to the prison system, is that prosecutors, and the machine in general, seem to want to treat every single suspect, conviction, or evidence or not, like they are one of these people (provided they aren't a well connected white person.) Even if their crimes are really petty, like that starving homeless guy who steals $100 because he's starving and got several years.

Stop dehumanizing people just because they do bad things. It's this exact line of reasoning that lets people rationalize away any and all prison abuse: the belief that it's okay when the prison system happens to "bad" people, and the only issue is that a "good" person falls through the cracks and gets caught in it from time to time. What you've said here is little different from a prosecutor who rigs a trial to avoid letting an "obviously guilty criminal scum" go free for lack of evidence. Moreover, by objectifying criminals and then saying that it's okay for them to be abused, are you really that different from those guys who objectified women into something to be raped and sold? I'm being a little hyperbolic here, but that's because I'm trying to drive the point home hard and fast - once you decide "this group of people doesn't deserve to be counted as humans, so I don't care what happens to them", you're basically stating that morality has exceptions and loopholes through which you can shove the most terrible of tortures.

Prison doesn't exist to abuse the evil, that'd just be plain sociopathic. Prison is intended to resolve the problems that render people unable to abide by the rules of society, and to keep them segregated from mainstream society until that process is complete. There's no such thing as a "literally random crime" - everyone does things for a reason, even if that reason doesn't make sense to you or to the reporters. Oftentimes, such "senseless" crimes are the result of mental illness or a more brutal worldview brought about by previous prison time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

Prison doesn't exist to abuse the evil, that'd just be plain sociopathic. Prison is intended to resolve the problems that render people unable to abide by the rules of society, and to keep them segregated from mainstream society until that process is complete. There's no such thing as a "literally random crime" - everyone does things for a reason, even if that reason doesn't make sense to you or to the reporters. Oftentimes, such "senseless" crimes are the result of mental illness or a more brutal worldview brought about by previous prison time.

This is incorrect. Prison doesn't have any specifically defined goals, which is one it's major issues. People just project whatever they think it should be doing in order to justify it's existence. For the majority of people this means that prison is a place of retributive punishment, and therefor the more horrible it is the more effective.

This is why prison reform is such a difficult issue, there is no common framework for people to work with. If it was found that halving sentences and giving inmates WoW in prison reduced recidivism by 75% that would be considered a failure by many because reducing recidivism is only a secondary purpose, suffering is primary.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 16, 2010

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Rutibex posted:

This is why prison reform is such a difficult issue, there is no common framework for people to work with. If it was found that halving sentences and giving inmates WoW in prison reduced recidivism by 75% that would be considered a failure by many because reducing recidivism is only a secondary purpose, suffering is primary.
There are too many people (Christian fundies, mostly) who believe in ultimate consequences. They will ignore all proof that crime is reduced by mitigating the consequences of crime. These are the same people who think that the very existence of negative consequences for certain behaviors means the behavior is bad. They will always ignore the possibility of reducing suffering unless it involves reducing the related behavior.

Safe-sex is one example. Since sex can spread disease, lead to unwanted pregnancy, and cause social ills like domestic abuse, you should just stop having sex. In reality, you can prevent disease and pregnancy, and protect against domestic abuse. But no, that would be wrong, because sex is clearly the source of these miseries. :rolleyes:

Another example: needle swap programs (fresh needles for used ones). They hate these programs because they think it will lead to more harm as more people are encouraged to abuse intravenous drugs. Rather than go with the activity that produces the most good (preventing needle sharing) they stick to the theory of "if you can't do the time (being infected), don't do the crime (DRUGZ)".

That, of course, spills over into incarceration. They firmly believe that consequences should never be mitigated, never recognizing that doing so is sometimes better. Our prisons now are just engines for recidivism and recurring crimes. Small-timers go in; hardened criminals come out.

But, as I said, too many people would rather stick to their ideological guns, even in the face of more societal good from other methods.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
The date on the article is yesterday and I checked the last couple days of posts here first, but apologies if the story is a repost:

A New Jersey man gets seven years for being a responsible gun owner.
http://reason.com/archives/2010/11/15/brian-aitkens-mistake/

A summary: A man moving from CO to NJ with 3 or so handguns (registered, locked, unloaded, secure in the trunk, etc) was detained by police for non-criminal reasons, they searched his car, found his guns, arrested him and the judge/DA railroaded his trial and now he's looking at 7 years unless the conviction is overturned. This is due to a mixture of very strict gun laws in NJ (which it sounds like he followed), slightly overzealous police, and a judge (at least as the article paints him) who didn't let the jury become aware of the evidence that he transported those guns under a legal exemption of gun laws (transporting from residence to residence).

This might be more of a stupid laws / stupid trial / gun control topic, but one hand washes the other and all that.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 16, 2010

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

anonumos posted:

(Christian fundies, mostly)

Pretty much.

quote:

By 1839, the Protestant reformers who backed Auburn’s chaplain had no idea that the minister supported the warden’s move toward expanded use of physical punishments. At the same time, prison officials across the state argued that chaplains had a duty to uphold the state’s disciplinary interests, not sentimental, humanitarian ideals. Both Quaker and Calvinist reformers were appalled when investigations late in the decade revealed institutions racked by violence while some chaplains stood by.

Protestant reformers accepted, if not argued for some forms of inmate suffering. They advocated their own notions of suffering and redemption with the hope of controlling how prison officials imparted physical afflictions on inmates. For them, religion was the key to keeping suffering under strict controls and interpreting its purpose correctly.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

21stCentury posted:

Society disagrees with me, obviously, but the easiest way to account for that 1% of 1% who are completely "evil". if you can believe that even these people do not deserve to be tortured, you can easily reconcile the "bad" part of prison reform. No one deserves that kind of treatment. Not even someone who tortures and dismembers a person over the course of a month.

I agree with you but, for the sake of argument, how do you know they are only 1%? Its not like the statistics distinguish or are objectively capable of distinguishing between murder 1 committed by someone who was at the end of their rope because her husband was abusing her, someone who is pressured into confessing to something they didn't do, someone who committed what a sane court would consider to be crime of passion against someone they knew, and some complete monster who committed murder 1 against a total stranger so that he could eat their soul by cooking them and eating their flesh.

Same goes for other crimes, you can't look at the numbers an objectively tell the difference between the monsters and people who made mistakes to conclude that monsters are only 1%.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Fire posted:

I agree with you but, for the sake of argument, how do you know they are only 1%? Its not like the statistics distinguish or are objectively capable of distinguishing between murder 1 committed by someone who was at the end of their rope because her husband was abusing her, someone who is pressured into confessing to something they didn't do, someone who committed what a sane court would consider to be crime of passion against someone they knew, and some complete monster who committed murder 1 against a total stranger so that he could eat their soul by cooking them and eating their flesh.

Same goes for other crimes, you can't look at the numbers an objectively tell the difference between the monsters and people who made mistakes to conclude that monsters are only 1%.

My point is, no human being, ever, deserves to be tortured. No exceptions.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

21stCentury posted:

My point is, no human being, ever, deserves to be tortured. No exceptions.

Ok, no human being, ever, deserves to be tortured. But how do you know that the One-Percenters really are "one-percenters?"

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Fire posted:

Ok, no human being, ever, deserves to be tortured. But how do you know that the One-Percenters really are "one-percenters?"

I don't. That wasn't exactly my point. That was flux_core's point.

Even if it's 10% of all criminals or, hell, 100% of all criminals who are "absolute monsters", they still wouldn't deserve to be tortured.

21stCentury fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 17, 2010

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Fire posted:

It's irrelevant. You can't tell who deserves such awful punishment, so no one should get it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

s0meb0dy0 posted:

It's irrelevant. You can't tell who deserves such awful punishment, so no one should get it.

It's pretty easy to tell who's in the 1%, they wear patches on their cloths to that effect :v:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_motorcycle_club#One_percenter

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Bhaal posted:

The date on the article is yesterday and I checked the last couple days of posts here first, but apologies if the story is a repost:

A summary: A man moving from CO to NJ with 3 or so handguns (registered, locked, unloaded, secure in the trunk, etc) was detained by police for non-criminal reasons, they searched his car, found his guns, arrested him and the judge/DA railroaded his trial and now he's looking at 7 years unless the conviction is overturned. This is due to a mixture of very strict gun laws in NJ (which it sounds like he followed), slightly overzealous police, and a judge (at least as the article paints him) who didn't let the jury become aware of the evidence that he transported those guns under a legal exemption of gun laws (transporting from residence to residence).

This might be more of a stupid laws / stupid trial / gun control topic, but one hand washes the other and all that.

If the judge ignored or misinformed the jury, that ought get turned over in a higher court, assuming he's got the $$$ to pursue it (Which can be a hard call when your rotting in a cell)

Careful though. Reason Mag is a libertarian publication, so you'll want to treat it with a degree of suspicion.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 17, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Fire posted:

...or the sake of argument, how do you know they are only 1%? Its not like the statistics distinguish or are objectively capable of distinguishing between murder 1 committed by someone who was at the end of their rope because her husband was abusing her, someone who is pressured into confessing to something they didn't do, someone who committed what a sane court would consider to be crime of passion against someone they knew, and some complete monster who committed murder 1 against a total stranger so that he could eat their soul by cooking them and eating their flesh.

...But how do you know that the One-Percenters really are "one-percenters?"

"Completetly evil" and even "sociopathic" (in a cultural, rather than clinical sense) are very subjective terms, so you're never going to get a truly objective determination of either.

On a more objective level, when I did trial work I met 10-15 new clients every two weeks for five years for crimes ranging from marijuana possession to capital murder. I had lots of clients who would be clinically sociopathic, but that's not a very good metric because lots of 'successful' business people are similarly clinically sociopathic.

Out of those 1500 or so clients, exactly two were "completely evil" or "sociopathic" in a cultural (as well as clinical) sense. Neither of them were death penalty clients, or even murder clients.

On the other hand, my jurisdiction of about 450,000 sends about 10 people to prison each day, every day. In prison, the funds for treatment programs have dried up, there haven't been rehabilitation programs for over a decade, and the staff is 20% below minimum safe levels.
Rehabilitation is a farce, as is general deterrence. Specific deterrence while incarcerated works by definition, but with no treatment, no rehab, and next to no supervision, a person comes out of prison worse in every way than when they went in. That leaves retribution. And voters love retribution and they love awful punishment and torture of people in prison. As a legislator, you can't go wrong ignoring awful punishment and torture and voting for more retribution.

lurkaccount
Jan 4, 2009

by Diapered Witch

joat mon posted:

Rehabilitation is a farce, as is general deterrence. Specific deterrence while incarcerated works by definition, but with no treatment, no rehab, and next to no supervision, a person comes out of prison worse in every way than when they went in. That leaves retribution. And voters love retribution and they love awful punishment and torture of people in prison. As a legislator, you can't go wrong ignoring awful punishment and torture and voting for more retribution.
We've replaced rehabilitation with retribution, absolutely. This New Yorker article puts it better than I can:

quote:

Prison violence, it turns out, is not simply an issue of a few belligerents. In the past thirty years, the United States has quadrupled its incarceration rate but not its prison space. Work and education programs have been cancelled, out of a belief that the pursuit of rehabilitation is pointless. The result has been unprecedented overcrowding, along with unprecedented idleness—a nice formula for violence. Remove a few prisoners to solitary confinement, and the violence doesn’t change. So you remove some more, and still nothing happens. Before long, you find yourself in the position we are in today. The United States now has five per cent of the world’s population, twenty-five per cent of its prisoners, and probably the vast majority of prisoners who are in long-term solitary confinement.

It wasn’t always like this. The wide-scale use of isolation is, almost exclusively, a phenomenon of the past twenty years. In 1890, the United States Supreme Court came close to declaring the punishment to be unconstitutional. Writing for the majority in the case of a Colorado murderer who had been held in isolation for a month, Justice Samuel Miller noted that experience had revealed “serious objections” to solitary confinement:

quote:

A considerable number of the prisoners fell, after even a short confinement, into a semi-fatuous condition, from which it was next to impossible to arouse them, and others became violently insane; others, still, committed suicide; while those who stood the ordeal better were not generally reformed, and in most cases did not recover suffcient mental activity to be of any subsequent service to the community.

Prolonged isolation was used sparingly, if at all, by most American prisons for almost a century. Our first supermax—our first institution specifically designed for mass solitary confinement—was not established until 1983, in Marion, Illinois. In 1995, a federal court reviewing California’s first supermax admitted that the conditions “hover on the edge of what is humanly tolerable for those with normal resilience.” But it did not rule them to be unconstitutionally cruel or unusual, except in cases of mental illness. The prison’s supermax conditions, the court stated, did not pose “a sufficiently high risk to all inmates of incurring a serious mental illness.” In other words, there could be no legal objection to its routine use, given that the isolation didn’t make everyone crazy. The ruling seemed to fit the public mood. By the end of the nineteen-nineties, some sixty supermax institutions had opened across the country. And new solitary-confinement units were established within nearly all of our ordinary maximum-security prisons.
Our prison system is not longer justified and letting all the inmates go free is preferable to what we have now.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

joat mon posted:

Out of those 1500 or so clients, exactly two were "completely evil" or "sociopathic" in a cultural (as well as clinical) sense. Neither of them were death penalty clients, or even murder clients.

On anothe anecdotal level, I know some US prosecutors that have been doing this for over 20 years. Both agreed that they could only think of one person that they prosecuted that could be called "evil". And I saw their case files. Good or regular people can do some horrific things.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bhaal posted:

quote:

she said she works with children who have mental health problems, and she has always been taught to call police as a precaution when someone appears despondent and shows any sign that he might harm himself.
This is the problem, right here.
Stop calling the drat cops for every little thing and being shocked when the person you called the cops on gets arrested.
Maybe this isn't how it should be, but it is the way it is.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

nm posted:

This is the problem, right here.
Stop calling the drat cops for every little thing and being shocked when the person you called the cops on gets arrested.
Maybe this isn't how it should be, but it is the way it is.

This is the problem? Really?

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Woozy posted:

This is the problem? Really?

Well, its part of the problem, people have a rose tinted view of the police. The police are not your friend. Their job is to arrest and gather evidence to prosecute you. They only "serve and protect" the interests of the elite.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fire posted:

Well, its part of the problem, people have a rose tinted view of the police. The police are not your friend. Their job is to arrest and gather evidence to prosecute you. They only "serve and protect" the interests of the elite.

Is that more a commentary on the state of the police or the populace?

The myriad of laws in the US today means that literally everyone is a law-breaker and most are felons if the letter of the law is maximally adhered to in all instances. As in many other areas, the US citizenry has given up various freedoms for the claim of security. This happened slowly, with a volume of laws of which the totality can scarcely even be wholly known by a single human, let alone abided by.

Whether you are heavily fined or go to jail in any given LEO interaction is practically based on the whims of the individual officer(s) you are interacting with. I've seen in our own SA cop thread open bragging about nailing people that merely annoyed the officer with obscure statutes. Even while on direct camera footage (that is lost with an amazing frequency in claims of police abuse), your life is in their hands. The only thing separating you from wanton brutality and various false charges is the integrity of the officer(s).

Knowing this and knowing that the police are supposed to blindly enforce the law, who in their right mind would ever call the police except in the most egregious of circumstances calling for their attention?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
I'm starting to wonder... When will Americans, you know, do something?

You look at pretty much every part of American society and you can see it's full of bullshi. From a party with a platform that's basically "Disagree with the other guys" to a legal system where a cop who doesn't like you can beat you up and convict you as a rapist. I mean, how long can Americans stand for the 1% who own 90% of everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

21stCentury posted:

I mean, how long can Americans stand for the 1% who own 90% of everything?

Forever

• Locked thread