Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

Buane posted:

While you, personally, might not be one of these people who the admins (and the rest of the playerbase) would rather go without

I retract my previous statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
So, obsessive AND authority issues? I've so missed the four-paragraph rants about nazi admins because you can't be named Buttbert :allears:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Regardless of whether the naming policy is overbearing on here (it is), some of the admins do enjoy powertripping on here every so often. However, I don't think that's something that can be avoided on a free server where people aren't afraid of losing their paychecks.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Zero The Hero posted:

:words:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. This is precisely why(in my view) this rule was created and it seems to be working great.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It's pretty simple, if you want to play in their sandbox you have to follow their rules. Somehow I don't think most people let the fact they can't name their characters after pop culture icons stop them.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

Regardless of whether the naming policy is overbearing on here (it is), some of the admins do enjoy powertripping on here every so often. However, I don't think that's something that can be avoided on a free server where people aren't afraid of losing their paychecks.

You're probably right, and my years of experience with playing and occasionally hosting servers for free online games hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise. I wouldn't try to say I was ever a perfect admin. Even so, I have standards, and even higher ones for MMORPGs, where losing an account means losing a lot of work. Thanks for responding to me sensibly and civilly though, you're the first person in the topic to do so.

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

A hazard to himself and others.
So I'm leveling my first character on here and I'm terrified to join a religion. Between the inability to change your mind and the restrictions on what you can kill and loot, I don't feel qualified to make a good choice.

Is there a recommended religion for a good-leaning Erudite Magician?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Got my vah banner (well, the vah rehn one) on Saturday night! :toot:

It was like classic MMOing again for me- I put a raid together, had to burn through healers left and right with replacements, and basically grind it out until 1:50 AM (I started at like 10:00 PM recruiting). Was so tiring but so good to get that final kill. Good work SoD devs. =p

Xodi
May 20, 2004

Xodi is.. alien dinosaur? wtf?! (thanks OMG ITZ JAMES)
Ugh.. this.. again.. EverCrack.. Why..

I'm down. I gave this a shot a while ago and was stuck out in Innothule and hated life. I'm gonna try again as a wizard or something equally cool instead of the ole iksar monk.

I'll post a name later once I get a feel for what character I want to be.

Psionicfish
Nov 1, 2004
Boost is my Anti-Drug.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Agreed, you get what you pay for on free shards. My three year old character at the time was threatened by a name change from one of the lead Admins since my character's name supposedly meant 'dark' in German (which wasn't even true) and I played a shadowknight.

Hi Wiz and Woldaff! :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a goony goon guild to play in or how are you all playing together?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

I said come in! posted:

Is there a goony goon guild to play in or how are you all playing together?

There is a Goon Squad with a few active members including myself. There are other goons scattered throughout guilds on the server as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xeras posted:

There is a Goon Squad with a few active members including myself. There are other goons scattered throughout guilds on the server as well.

Who are you on there? I could use some help with learning the ropes. I rolled a rogue. I've played on this server before, but its been forever and I played on Live earlier this year, but I realize SoD is nothing like that one at all.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Who are you on there? I could use some help with learning the ropes. I rolled a rogue. I've played on this server before, but its been forever and I played on Live earlier this year, but I realize SoD is nothing like that one at all.

I am on Xoneru my beastlord and Xaltec my wizard usually. If you don't see me on feel free to hit me up on aim/msn/gmail are all soultari.

Edit: Also you can two box on this server which I strongly recommend as rogues aren't the best soloers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maybe i'll roll someone else then. I didn't even level up my rogue. Who is a good solo class?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Good solo classes are the same on live pretty much and most of it involves kiting. Necros bards Druids being top with other casters and such right behind. Rangers own at kite soloing too. But as xeras said you are allowed two characters online at a time and boxing something like healer + dps/tank is highly recommended. Makes it a lot more tolerable if you can't find a group, that way you can at least find something to kill.

And yeah there are a fair bit of goons, how active they are on here I dunno. I play Jotto in game.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Maybe i'll roll someone else then.

I've been trying to find ways to dick around and waste spare time, when I have it, and I was thinking of revisiting this for a while. I have a shaman and monk (Lheo/Oehl) which I worked on quite a bit but shaman and monk became boring, fast, for me. I was thinking of working on either a Paladin/Druid or Beastlord/Wizard combo. I might be willing to group up with you, if you don't get super addicted and play 24/7 and far surpass me in levels.

P.S. Nebi I know you stole my platinum, you bastarddddd!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Carwin posted:

So I'm leveling my first character on here and I'm terrified to join a religion. Between the inability to change your mind and the restrictions on what you can kill and loot, I don't feel qualified to make a good choice.

Is there a recommended religion for a good-leaning Erudite Magician?

I wouldn't choose a deity until you're max level and getting ready to raid. I believe adding some more deity quests is on the agenda, but generally the best choices are the ones that don't lock you out of a raid zone (Enthann, for example).

Just be careful not to kill any deity-tagged mobs as you level. I can only think of one example (some of the mobs in First Ruins) that can be a problem, so it isn't really a big concern.

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

Suprfli6 posted:

I wouldn't choose a deity until you're max level and getting ready to raid.

Just be careful not to kill any deity-tagged mobs as you level. I can only think of one example (some of the mobs in First Ruins) that can be a problem, so it isn't really a big concern.

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

borf
Apr 5, 2006
I just made a Shaman/Paladin duo to 2box. If anyone wants to get started, I'll be noobing it up outside the Froglok town. Chromat and Grutch are their names, hope to see someone!

Also, does anyone know how to get maps set up? I heard there's a map system in here but can't seem to find it.

borf fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 30, 2010

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

borf posted:

I just made a Shaman/Paladin duo to 2box. If anyone wants to get started, I'll be noobing it up outside the Froglok town. Chromat and Grutch are their names, hope to see someone!

Also, does anyone know how to get maps set up? I heard there's a map system in here but can't seem to find it.

I think map files are downloaded when you patch up, but if not you can search for the live map files from one of those map websites.

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

borf posted:

You might need to click off the "height" box in the map window to make the map non-useless. Also, zoom out a bit with the mouse wheel.

I'll keep an eye out for your chars. I've got a level 6 cleric who's trying to catch up with my uber level 16 main.

borf
Apr 5, 2006

Carwin posted:

You might need to click off the "height" box in the map window to make the map non-useless. Also, zoom out a bit with the mouse wheel.

I'll keep an eye out for your chars. I've got a level 6 cleric who's trying to catch up with my uber level 16 main.
This helped, thanks! What's your cleric's name?

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

Smamdo!

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Susvain, do you browse this thread at all? Holla back if you read this!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
new Mansion of Portals is scary =(

Although humorously enough my one trip in it since the update I ran in, didn't get hit by anything, but I got Portal Contagion. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Null1fy posted:

Hey Susvain, do you browse this thread at all? Holla back if you read this!

Yeah every now and then. What's up?

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah every now and then. What's up?

Hey, dude, it's Lheo from in game. I came back and started playing and I noticed I had some plat missing. I had Slaariel look into it and saw you borrowed it from me. Do you think you could spot me back the cash you borrowed? :)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Hmm do you know the amount? As far as I recall I borrowed 5k for like my juggo charm and then put it back a week later. That was almost a year ago though so my memory might not be perfect. I haven't played in months but I'll log in and see what I have.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

Hmm do you know the amount? As far as I recall I borrowed 5k for like my juggo charm and then put it back a week later. That was almost a year ago though so my memory might not be perfect. I haven't played in months but I'll log in and see what I have.

=/ ... Slaariel counted that you borrowed around 9.5k from Oehl, and about 7.5k from Lheo.

Want to coordinate a time where we can both log on?

Null1fy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 16, 2010

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Null1fy posted:

=/ ... Slaariel counted that you borrowed around 9.5k from Oehl, and about 7.5k from Lheo.

Want to coordinate a time where we can both log on?

K I've got money for you, when are you normally on?

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 16, 2010

Hover
Jun 14, 2003

Your post hits a tree.
The tree is an ent.
The tree is angry.
So I'm considering jumping on SoD for a hit of EQ nostalgia and a fun game for my spare time, but is Goon Squad or something similar still around? MMO's are boring as hell when there's no one to play with and talk to, so I sure hope so.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

K I've got money for you, when are you normally on?

I appreciate it, duder. I'll be on now, through the afternoon for a few hours - at least.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Hover posted:

So I'm considering jumping on SoD for a hit of EQ nostalgia and a fun game for my spare time, but is Goon Squad or something similar still around? MMO's are boring as hell when there's no one to play with and talk to, so I sure hope so.

Goon Squad is around, albeit not very large. You start out in a newbie guild along with all the other noobs so you aren't necessarily alone from the start.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Jotto posted:

Goon Squad is around, albeit not very large. You start out in a newbie guild along with all the other noobs so you aren't necessarily alone from the start.

If he ever makes it to 65 we usually do a thing pretty often.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

Mercury_Storm posted:

What's your character name again? :angel:

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

I dont know if any of you old retired people ever read this, but if you've been tossing around the idea of playing SoD again now would be a good time! We raid pretty often on Goon Squad, now, and we just cleared Sepulcher of Darkness (T6!) last night. So big things could be potentially heading Goon Squad's way. We're still pretty heavily boxed.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Ruach here!

I will be able to "do a thing" on fridays and saturdays I work 7:30 am-6pm pst other days so it would have to be late night pugs or questing for me.

I am a handful of drops from finishing a bunch of the vah flags.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
you guys got spot for a decently geared Paladin? Prob. can't raid a lot but I can do what I can and I love group quests :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

What's the lowest level you can be useful to a raid? 65 I assume?

Cataclysm has been stealing my Dalaya time lately, but I'm still playing and really enjoying this server. I'm up to 30-something now. However at the rate I XP it'll be forever until I hit cap.

• Locked thread