Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Heard posted:

I think the album is dark, overly so, and I don't think "Runaway" is a banger. It's lethargic with amateurish singing; I might not turn it if it pops up on the radio, but half of the reason for that is the intrigue the internet builds on his music, and I don't think he has the best stuff. I expect to see better releases from other mainstream rappers.

Why's it matter if it's not a "banger"? Hip-hop is diverse as rock and roll, why does every track have to be an energetic masturbatory power anthem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

the Bunt posted:

Why's it matter if it's not a "banger"? Hip-hop is diverse as rock and roll, why does every track have to be an energetic masturbatory power anthem?

This. This a million times. Kid Cudi is so popular right now 'cause (IMHO) he bridges these two aesthetics, combining catchy hooks and pop tunes with emotional and reflective songwriting.

This is why I laugh when I'm on campus and some hungover sorority bitch hears something other than Ke$ha or Nelly she goes "ugh this is so boring!!! omg *text text text*" If you seriously can't listen to a song without having a loving thumping bass and sticky sweet synth hooks then you should just stop listening to music.

The ironic part is that I just described Graduation/808s almost to a T. They're pop albums in the most basic definition of the word. That's not to say they're bad, but MBDTF is an entirely different creature. MBDTF is a critics album first and a hip-hop album second.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Rick Ross is pretty much awesome Iunno what y'all were on

Heard
Oct 22, 2010

the Bunt posted:

Because "Runaway"'s a pop radio single.

Heard
Oct 22, 2010

Superchunk posted:

This. This a million times. Kid Cudi is so popular right now 'cause (IMHO) he bridges these two aesthetics, combining catchy hooks and pop tunes with emotional and reflective songwriting.

This is why I laugh when I'm on campus and some hungover sorority bitch hears something other than Ke$ha or Nelly she goes "ugh this is so boring!!! omg *text text text*" If you seriously can't listen to a song without having a loving thumping bass and sticky sweet synth hooks then you should just stop listening to music.

The ironic part is that I just described Graduation/808s almost to a T. They're pop albums in the most basic definition of the word. That's not to say they're bad, but MBDTF is an entirely different creature. MBDTF is a critics album first and a hip-hop album second.

I disagree. I think he should be able to deliver tracks that are relevant to pop music trends and that are simultaneously musically stimulating, a marriage of the two. The-Dream on a good day can do this.

Heard fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 16, 2010

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Are you guys kidding about So Appalled? That has the be one of the most retarded hooks I've ever heard. "Life can be sometimes ridiculous." What the gently caress does that even mean? Swizz Beatz phoned that poo poo in.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
Every time since last week when I try to listen to an album, I always just end up coming back to this one. It's kind of annoying, actually. :negative: I'm starting to wonder if this album has a lot of initial appeal but will fade on repeat listens / people will grow a little tired of it. I guess "wearing it out because you like it so much" is not a bad thing to say about a record, but I don't know how much lasting appeal this has. Time will tell

edit - So Appalled is probably the weakest song here cause the hook is so drat awkward. The music during the verses is nice though. Fuckin ridickalis!

edit 2 - Swizz Beatz talks like a goat

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 16, 2010

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
"Life can be sometimes ridiculous."

I'm going to take a stab but perhaps he's trying to convey that life can be, at times, ridikalis.

Heard
Oct 22, 2010

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Are you guys kidding about So Appalled? That has the be one of the most retarded hooks I've ever heard. "Life can be sometimes ridiculous." What the gently caress does that even mean? Swizz Beatz phoned that poo poo in.

Nevermind, I see what you're saying.

Heard fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 16, 2010

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Heard posted:

I disagree. I think he should be able to deliver tracks that are relevant to pop music trends and that are simultaneously musically stimulating, a marriage of the two. The-Dream on a good day can do this.

Runaway and Monster were both ~10 on the Hot 100 and the album's gonna do 500k-600k first week (more than Drake at least). I'd say he's doing something right to stay relevant.

He'll never have another "Stronger" or "Gold Digger", and he'll never release another "Graduation" (sales wise). It's just not the poo poo that dude's on.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 16, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Bubble Bathory posted:

I totally didn't even notice Jay-Z was weak on Monster because I loving love that track. Minaj is insane.

Seriously. Hearing her talking in what I assume is her natural accent to half screaming to some weird innocent girl voice with a British accent to screaming again is all sorts of :psyduck:.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

Always skip it. Only listened to it on the leak once to see how much it had changed. Easily the worst song on the album

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Is there any sort of deeper meaning behind the Runaway video? I mean, I've written essays on Lady Gaga videos and just recently, unintentionally, a Katy Perry video, but the most I get out of runaway is just "A BUNCH OF poo poo THAT LOOKS FUCKIN' COOL." which sorta fits with Kanye but man I just don't know

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

bows1 posted:

Always skip it. Only listened to it on the leak once to see how much it had changed. Easily the worst song on the album

:stare:

I don't understand, I think this song is excellent.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Yeah, Swizz is really doing his hardest to make that song bad. Although I can't help but love the beat and the line "I met this girl on Valentine's Day, hosed her in May, she found out about April, so she chose to march" enough where I can forgive the chorus.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Sockser posted:

Is there any sort of deeper meaning behind the Runaway video? I mean, I've written essays on Lady Gaga videos and just recently, unintentionally, a Katy Perry video, but the most I get out of runaway is just "A BUNCH OF poo poo THAT LOOKS FUCKIN' COOL." which sorta fits with Kanye but man I just don't know
At the core of it it's apparently something about Kanye('s ego) not being accepted in this world, and that he needs to be freed from it like a Phoenix rising from the ashes. Or something artsy like that.

I think it's more telling that Kanye said they shot the whole thing somewhere in Europe(France?) in 4 days with almost zero storyboarding. I think he took less than a week getting the crew together and whatever permits needed to film.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

It was filmed in Prague (great city to visit) and I thought it was more about him and his relationships. The phoenix was supposed to represent the different women in his life.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

It's not even that abstract. The phoenix literally says "anything that is different, people try to change". It hammers you over the head with the theme with every line of dialogue.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

the Bunt posted:

It's not even that abstract. The phoenix literally says "anything that is different, people try to change". It hammers you over the head with the theme with every line of dialogue.

It's definitely not abstract, nor really deep. But it is wonderfully shot and nicely executed. Plus, the soundtrack goes beautifully with the images. There are some scenes that are just really really well done. It's not a masterpiece or anything, just entertaining and pretty to look at as well at to listen to. It's more of a long music video.. but an awesome one. It seems more like an influence from mj's long epic videos more than anything. i think people might be thinking its trying too hard to be artsy, but i dont see that at all. a lot of it is coming from an honest place and it seems like he's just doing poo poo he thinks is cool or interesting. i don't think he's coming from a place of "oh look how abstract and deep my video is". It's more like, i got these ideas and im gonna have fun with them.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Sockser posted:

If you mean specifically the portion of the movie for the song Runaway that's being shown on MTV, there's a bunch of stuff to pick apart. The lack of sync between the beat and the ballerinas, the ballerinas' dirty shoes, the contrast of the colors of the ballerinas vs. the teal-ish walls, etc.

e: also the image of him off to the side, playing piano with ballerinas in front of him singing about douchebags contrasted with the mild mannered dinner table.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 16, 2010

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
I love the Runaway vid and the short film. People are complaining about Kanye's "acting" but I think it's perfect for what he is. It's self-assured and awkward at the same time, like a "grown-rear end kid."

I don't get why everyone needs the message of the film/album to be "abstract," as if that by itself adds more credibility.
He's not talking about abstract poo poo, he's talking about his relationships with the women in his life (his mom, girlfriends, even Taylor Swift) and to the music/fame "game." It can be applied on a broader scale to the listeners' relationships with whatever, the world around them.
It's pretty concrete poo poo, just done in Kanye's grandiose pseudo-cinematic style.

At the very least if it gets you psyched on life while you're listening to it, I'd say Kanye has gotten his point across.

And yeah So Appalled is definitely the weak link on the album but sometimes I don't skip it so I can hear RZA yelling about something at the end. I could say that about a few songs actually.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Guys you know all of that poo poo is loving ridiculous.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Brett824 posted:

If you mean specifically the portion of the movie for the song Runaway that's being shown on MTV, there's a bunch of stuff to pick apart. The lack of sync between the beat and the ballerinas, the ballerinas' dirty shoes, the contrast of the colors of the ballerinas vs. the teal-ish walls, etc.

e: also the image of him off to the side, playing piano with ballerinas in front of him singing about douchebags contrasted with the mild mannered dinner table.

Nah the actual Runaway portion I noticed all of that and loved the visuals. That portion of the film really relies on a duality between black/white. Everyone at the dinner is black, wearing all white (except for Kanye and his date), all the servers at the dinner are white, wearing white. The ballerinas are all white (or at least non-black. I think a few are like, pacific island-looking), mostly wearing white shoes.

The dinner itself is presented perfectly, everything is neatly arranged in proper order, and all the guests and servers are dressed in such a fashion as well. In contrast to the rough concrete floors, the grodiness of the ballerinas slippers as they dance, the beat up old fuckin' piano that's not in tune, the rough metal shipping container walls, or even the rough, animalistic appearance of the Phoenix.

But, I dunno, typically I'd be able to say like, "the difference in appearance between the dinner and the setting is relevant to x" and I can't come up with anything, but I guess I don't really know all that much about Kanye so

e: before he sings, one of the other guests compares the Phoenix to a monkey in a zoo (something like that, it's hard to make out what he says) to which Kanye sings a song about toasting assholes and douchebags. Duality of perfection/grimyness represents the perfectly dressed people vs how lovely they are despite appearances? While the ballerinas or the piano, while looking gross, are beautiful inside?

I'll roll with that. I got a message out of it, I'm happy.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 16, 2010

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
"The prettiest people, do the ugliest things"

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
Can I just almost-verbatim copy something I wrote on last.fm, cause I'm really curious:

what the gently caress is 'All of the Lights' about. I can't discern any kind of meaning or reason from it; it's like a stream of consciousness. The lyrics at the beginning have nothing to do with the chorus and Fergie's part has nothing to do with anything. Who is going all the way this time? MJ gone, dat nigga dead? What is going on here you guys

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Final Fart Buttball posted:

what the gently caress is 'All of the Lights' about.
I don't know but Hell of a Life is a hilarious biopic of when Kanye took his year off.

Make her knees shake, make a priest faint, uh
Make a nun cum, make her cremate, uh

Have you lost your mind?
Tell me when you think we crossed the line
No more drugs for me, pussy and religion is all I need
Grab my hand and baby we’ll live a hell of a life

You a wild bitch
Tell me what I gotta do to be that guy
Said her price go down, she ever gently caress a black guy
Or do anal, or do a gangbang
It’s kinda crazy that’s all considered the same thing
Well I guess alotta niggas do gang bang
And if we run trains, we all in the same gang
Runaway slaves all on a chain gang

I take it Amber Rose is a bad bitch.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Final Fart Buttball posted:

Can I just almost-verbatim copy something I wrote on last.fm, cause I'm really curious:

what the gently caress is 'All of the Lights' about. I can't discern any kind of meaning or reason from it; it's like a stream of consciousness. The lyrics at the beginning have nothing to do with the chorus and Fergie's part has nothing to do with anything. Who is going all the way this time? MJ gone, dat nigga dead? What is going on here you guys

It's a story about a black male??? I'm not sure what you want here. Dude finds out MJ is dead, hits his girl and gets the cops called. He comes back from jail and the girl has moved on to a different guy. Next verse talks about him trying to reconcile with his baby mama and getting a restraining order, and the ensuing legal drama. The hook seems to be just generally associated with the "black man's plight": Fast life, drug life, thug life, rock life.

Oh then Kanye decided he needed it to be a #1 single so he poo poo Fergie, Rihanna, Elton John, Kid Cudi, a bit of Ryan Leslie and a bit of the chick who looks like a dude from La Roux on to the track with no particular significance.

e: seriously gently caress AotL, worst track on the album.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 17, 2010

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Brett824 posted:

e: seriously gently caress AotL, worst track on the album.
Isn't it weird how different of an appeal "Lost in the World" and "All of the Lights" have even though they have similar aesthetics? I love the latter (especially the string intro), but I think the only bad track on the album is the former. You love the former, but hate the latter. I've noticed this with many reviews too.

But yea seriously that song has the easiest lyrics on the album to follow :confused:

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 17, 2010

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

machchunk posted:

Isn't it weird how different of an appeal "Lost in the World" and "All of the Lights" have even though they have similar aesthetics? I love the latter (especially the string intro"), but I think the only bad track on the album is the former. You love the former, but hate the latter. I've noticed this with many reviews too.

But yea seriously that song has the easiest lyrics on the album to follow :confused:

Lost in the World is my favourite song on the album.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
All of the Lights is such wasted potential, epic sounding instrumental wasted on lyrics that don't make any sense.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

illcendiary posted:

All of the Lights is such wasted potential, epic sounding instrumental wasted on lyrics that don't make any sense.

Wow. Between the Hating on AotL and the adoration of So Appalled, I don't even know what the gently caress.

Seriously, though: AotL is the most lyrically straightforward "narrative" track on the album. And it's "MJ gone -- OUR nigga dead!" I don't remember the line before, but the rhyme is something like "hand to my head." He's in a crazy spiral, capped off by the collective mourning of a sudden death.

Brett gave the rundown. He snaps under pressure, hits his girl, comes back from jail, finds his girl with a new man, beats the new guy up (takes him to Ghetto University), restraining order, supervised visitation, legal drama, trying to be a father so his daughter doesn't end up on the same path to Ghetto University.

I can understand not liking the song (not really, but that's opinion), but there's absolutely nothing confusing about it except that it's written as a first person character who isn't Kanye West.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 17, 2010

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
So, is this album getting a vinyl release?

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
I think All of the Lights, Lost in the World, and So Appalled all rule. So Appalled took a while to grow on me though.

This album is amazing.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

The fact that everyone seems to have different opinions on every track only makes me love this disc more.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Yup, All of the Lights is still my favorite track by far. It may not be much lyrically but musically I think it's one of the greatest pop songs ever.

I like So Appalled as well, especially that beat. The track I listen to the least and don't vibe much with is Blame Game honestly.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
I like every single track. The only thing I skip is the two-minute outro on Blame Game, which I got tired of even during my first listen of it.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

the Bunt posted:

Yup, All of the Lights is still my favorite track by far. It may not be much lyrically but musically I think it's one of the greatest pop songs ever.

I like So Appalled as well, especially that beat. The track I listen to the least and don't vibe much with is Blame Game honestly.

All of the Lights is also a loving awesome treadmill song. Although, to be fair, lots of Kanye's songs are. Singing about being awesome over the top of great beats? Oh yes.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
Are you guys serious? The chorus to All Of The Lights is about the dynamics of celebrity, and Kanye's verses are allegory for the music game. Thought it was kinda obvious, what else would he be fixating on.

I only really skip So Appalled, the rest of them are so drat good, like all of them.
Blame Game did have to grow on me.

Heard
Oct 22, 2010
I've been having a bit of trouble seeing one foot in front of the other, so I apologize in advance if this comes off as complete, gratuitous overkill.

Re-listening again, the sheer immensity of his meticulousness, of his musical genius and attention to every feature of the beat shows that beyond hype, he created an album of immensely skilled attention to craft and mastery of hip hop, of a keenness to, and intention with, the sound of musical instrumentation in general. Every vibration and melodic switch. Every note that he adds. All the embellishments. The frantic percussion elements everywhere. It really is a classic to be treasured and admired for all ages. Say what you will about him but he certainly is trying harder than The Beatles. All the samples. Everything he did. it's all there. Production is top notch. The pauses he creates in the song, the added stuff; it goes beyond what a live rock band could ever do. Close to perfection. The notes are played as if there are musical masters playing, the flourishes underneath the main melody, a skilled black jazz pianist of another age behind the keys, which are forceful and purposeful, tactfully. And not to mention, his unexplainable ability to make each featured artist feel like an actor in a play, including himself. The vocal samples and insertions are great, too. Like he's talking back in forth. Doing stuff Lupe only wishes he could do to make his tracks live. The vocal effects are A+, as well. And amazingly, yes, the Chris Rock bit works. Unheard of. Kanye knows how to turn vocals into instrumentation, whether he modifies or modulates the vocals, and that'll probably be my last word on this album.

He was desperately grappling here, grasping for a classic, and he drat near did it. Best work he's done.

Heard fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Bubble Bathory posted:

Are you guys serious? The chorus to All Of The Lights is about the dynamics of celebrity, and Kanye's verses are allegory for the music game. Thought it was kinda obvious, what else would he be fixating on.

I only really skip So Appalled, the rest of them are so drat good, like all of them.
Blame Game did have to grow on me.
Yea, I was definitely under the impression that All of the Lights is another "hip-hop personified" song, like Common's I Used to Love H.E.R. and Em's 25 to Life. The girl that he hits is Taylor Swift, and Kanye just spent the last year away from the game. When he gets back, other rappers have taken his spot (maybe Drake, as a specific example).

And then Fergie's verse is just completely pointless, but that's to be expected because she's loving Fergie.

• Locked thread