Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brown_recluse
Jul 19, 2006
Pessimist by policy, optimist by temperament.
I almost choked on my pizza when I saw Bluddy the mascot. The Red Cross also has a mascot who is a drop of blood, and his name is Bloody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

PFlats posted:

It could be a sinister flute.

That pun is horrible. Even worse is that it's only the second worst pun I've heard today.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
:frogsiren: New Strip :frogsiren:

Saw that one coming waaaay back when he made the deal

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Elans dad is the best villain :)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Affi posted:

Elans dad is the best villain :)

Yes he is. He's pretty much the villain for whom the phrase "evil will always triumph because good is dumb" was made for.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes he is. He's pretty much the villain for whom the phrase "evil will always triumph because good is dumb" was made for.

What is that phrase from?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Pope Guilty posted:

Spaceballs.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Raposa posted:

Spaceballs.

Pope, you need to fix this knowledge gap of yours immediately by watching that movie.

And now, I am going to go back and read all the strips with Elan's dad in them while imagining him played by a Dark Helmet-like Rick Moranis.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
I can never remember that quote's origins, because the Spaceballs villains are really dumb, too.

I love that he's not so much smugly gloating as he is giddily happy that the plan came off so well. It's Elan's "tee-hee I did something right" grin with a completely different context.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Elan's dad is what happens when you take a chaotic good idiot, make him a lawful neutral-to-evil-I'm-not-entirely-sure-yet mastermind, and change absolutely nothing else about his personality. It's tremendous.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
He's a lawful evil tyrant, but he's got style.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LightWarden posted:

He's a lawful evil tyrant, but he's got style.

Check it out, Elan even mentioned his father's knack for dramatic wrangling way back then.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
That was the best pun ever =)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Why are all the evil characters in OOTS (Elan's dad, Xykon, Redcloak, Belkar) so much more enjoyable than the good characters?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Wolfsheim posted:

Why are all the evil characters in OOTS (Elan's dad, Xykon, Redcloak, Belkar) so much more enjoyable than the good characters?

Don't forget Epic-level V. Familicide was basically the only time he was interesting.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Wolfsheim posted:

Because the good characters never get the fun dialogue. Also, anyone else getting really tired of the whole "Elan doesn't get that his dad's evil" schtick? They even hung a lampshade on it in this comic - the whole "fool" bit.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Green Intern posted:

Because the good characters never get the fun dialogue. Also, anyone else getting really tired of the whole "Elan doesn't get that his dad's evil" schtick? They even hung a lampshade on it in this comic - the whole "fool" bit.
He's getting it, he just really really doesn't want to. Look how plaintively he asks Tarquin if the Empress ordered him to do that stuff.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

CapnAndy posted:

He's getting it, he just really really doesn't want to. Look how plaintively he asks Tarquin if the Empress ordered him to do that stuff.

I think he might actually know and just be ignoring it because he's aware that dramatic convention will only let him "realize" it under far more tense and dramatic circumstances. He's been known to do stuff like this.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ashenai posted:

I think he might actually know and just be ignoring it because he's aware that dramatic convention will only let him "realize" it under far more tense and dramatic circumstances. He's been known to do stuff like this.

I guess he'll wait until the arena fights commence and the party can stagea daring and dramatic escape from BloodTown.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
New strip.

I'm pretty sure someone called that one.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This is actually much better PLOT than I expected!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tyrinaria I saw coming. This, not so much. And I think I have a dramatically appropriate idea who Roy might be set to fight. :ohdear:

Also, a possible return of the old "red strikes true" prophecy from the first, what, 20 episodes or so?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
When was Tyrinaria first mentioned? The OotS archives are intimidating.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Wait... where is Haley's father imprisoned?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One post answers the other.

Tyrinaria is the now defunct empire where Hayley's dad was imprisoned.

EDIT: Wait, I just remembered Hayley's dad's name is Ian. Herpaderp.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

#131, first proper mention of Tyrinaria and Haley's dad.

For reference, Elan and Nale's backstory, including who we now know is Tarquin and what people have speculated for a while might be Tyrinaria's flag, and the business with the prophecy was mentioned here, here and here. Then again this seems a long time to call back even for Burlew so I'm gonna assume he just put Ian's nickname in the latest one as an additional reminder who this dude is.

e: dammit all this revealed and we didn't even get to Elan's surprise.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Spiderdrake posted:

This is actually much better PLOT than I expected!

Thats because its the backstory to 1984.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

Well. It incorporates the inverse of a plot element of 1984, yeah, but I think everyone is mainly referring to the fact that Roy is totally in jail with Haley's dad.

Also hooray for two Yiddish puns in like a week. :toot:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

What, perpetual combat against a foreign power to provide stability of empire? That's not something from 1984, that's a real thing that goes on to this day.

I'm just surprised OoTS tied up several elements effectively like this. All this stuff was referenced earlier and then neatly tied together.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Spiderdrake posted:

What, perpetual combat against a foreign power to provide stability of empire? That's not something from 1984, that's a real thing that goes on to this day.

I'm just surprised OoTS tied up several elements effectively like this. All this stuff was referenced earlier and then neatly tied together.

How are you surprised? Burlow does this all the time and I'm surprised people still question his story telling prowess.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, odds that the dad will ask Elan to be the "young adventurer to help overthrow the kingdom", but Elan will be a super good good guy and defeat his father for good?

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
But more importantly, WHO IS GEOFF?!?!? (besides Haley's uncle)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

HKR posted:

How are you surprised? Burlow does this all the time and I'm surprised people still question his story telling prowess.

It's almost as if the guy has some kind of long term plan for his story, but that level of plotting can't be possible, not in a mere webcomic.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nipponophile posted:

It's almost as if the guy has some kind of long term plan for his story, but that level of plotting can't be possible, not in a mere webcomic.
A pre-written plot doesn't make the writing smooth or keep the monologue both in character and a functional parody. It was a good strip and a good reveal that might just set up why Girard is so hard to find and roll this plotline into the overarching plotline.

I even have a glimmer of hope we won't see the boring and cliché Elan must kill his father crap.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

Spiderdrake posted:

I even have a glimmer of hope we won't see the boring and cliché Elan must kill his father crap.

The fact that this cliche will involve both Elan and his Dad is the exact reason why it will happen. Just because something is cliche doesn't make it necessarily bad and those 2 are suckers for that kind of stuff.

EDIT - Also, Elan's Dad is proving once again he is the epitome of Lawful Evil.

tazman fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 17, 2010

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

tazman posted:

The fact that this cliche will involve both Elan and his Dad is the exact reason why it will happen. Just because something is cliche doesn't make it necessarily bad and those 2 are suckers for that kind of stuff.

Plus, they're into drama enough for Tarquin to mysteriously survive and vow vengeance against his other son.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

terminal mehmet posted:

Wait... where is Haley's father imprisoned?

Look at the last panel of the most recent comic. A prisoner of a land once called Tyrinaria was called Red before his hair was bleached white. :wink:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Daaaaamn. poo poo just got real. Also, it's sort of amazing what this suggests about what Elan could do if he put his mind to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
We've seen Haley's dad, when he was younger: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0608.html