Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Is that your website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

My lens collection, which one does not belong? Sorry for horrible cell phone pic.

Reverse Jesus
Dec 25, 2004
Come on Cranky! Take it to the fridge!
Some guy at work's collection of lenses

http://photos.jibble.org/Photography/Canon%20Lenses/Big_Collection_of_Canon_Lenses_IMG_0729.html

Shout out to Paul since I know he's vain enough to be checking referrers!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ringo R posted:

My lens collection, which one does not belong? Sorry for horrible cell phone pic.

You could beat someone to death with that 70-200 lens hood.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

DJExile posted:

You could beat someone to death with that 70-200 lens hood.

How easy it is to beat someone to death with things really should be the standard metric for photographic equipment.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Greybone posted:

How easy it is to beat someone to death with things really should be the standard metric for photographic equipment.

just like how many puppies can be killed in a bathtub and how many bodies fit in the trunk of a vehicle.

"Oh ya, 'bout a three body boot."

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Lifting my arm up makes me feel so cool! :banjo:

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

The sky above his mother's basement was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel....

That line hasn't aged well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
At least its not UV, right? Really hope its the FD version otherwise I'm pissed he's not two hours closer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I have a guy driving 2 hours to "take a look at" my Tokina 11-16. I'm pretty sure he's going to buy it. He better not try to haggle!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

dunkman posted:

I have a guy driving 2 hours to "take a look at" my Tokina 11-16. I'm pretty sure he's going to buy it. He better not try to haggle!
Best way to win these battles is to be prepared to walk away from the sale. If he was ever thinking about buying it, he will.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

This guy built a cool rig for taking photos of water balloons mid-pop. via npr:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2010/10/13/130536054/water-balloons

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

This guy built a cool rig for taking photos of water balloons mid-pop. via npr:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2010/10/13/130536054/water-balloons

That is cool as hell. I really need to play with various trigger ideas like this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Interrupting Moss posted:

Best way to win these battles is to be prepared to walk away from the sale. If he was ever thinking about buying it, he will.

Seriously, if he's driving two hours then he's obviously interested. As long as you described it thoroughly then really if he tries to haggle and gives you poo poo because he drove two hours then all you need to say is "hey look, you knew the price I listed at.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

a foolish pianist posted:

I have had the urge to try to get a bullet coming out of a barrel by just trying to get lucky with a 1/8000th shutter speed as fast as the camera can shoot in succession.

Doing it with a sound activated flash and a small aperture and long exposure sounds like it might create a better result.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ease posted:

I have had the urge to try to get a bullet coming out of a barrel by just trying to get lucky with a 1/8000th shutter speed as fast as the camera can shoot in succession.

Doing it with a sound activated flash and a small aperture and long exposure sounds like it might create a better result.

I doubt using a fast shutter speed will do it, I think using a flash would get you much better results.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

dunkman posted:

All my craigslist postings end in "Cash only. No haggling !"

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ease posted:

I think you'll still be going on luck given how fast a bullet comes out of a barrel. The latency of the flash trigger, flash and camera added together may be too long. One way you can tip the odds in your favour is using a slower cartridge like .45ACP, .22LR or black powder. When I'm at the range and the light is just right(bright sunlight on the bullet against a shadowed background), I can actually see .45ACP bullets flying out of the barrel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can buy electronic timers you can use to delay sending a signal when the trigger is pulled.. giving thousandths of a second accuracy you can adjust with a dial. So assuming that the bullet has no variance in how long it takes to ignite, you can adjust the delay until you get it right.

Mythbusters has done it several times for various projects, I'm sure it's a common application but Mythbusters is probably the most widely documented.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Last time I heard about this someone was using a laser trigger along with some insane high-speed flash he built himself (!) to do freeze frames of bullets piercing things, it was pretty cool.

Anyone know who that was?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I built this trigger a little while ago http://hiviz.com/kits/mt.htm and tried some gun stuff with it in bright sunlight. I put my camera downrange and to the side, then used the sound trigger, spliced to a Yongnuo trigger. My camera fired via a Yongnuo receiver.

It looks like the delay from sound --> trigger --> receiver --> fire camera was too great to catch any bullet hits (we shot .223 out an AR and a .40 handgun), but I still caught some cool stuff.

Now that I have a .22lr I want to go and do some more, maybe with subsonic ammo, and with a better way of triggering the camera.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
What did you shoot for the explosion?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think the easiest thing to do to catch a bullet coming out of the barrel would be to hold down the shutter on a burst, shoot the gun in the middle of the burst and hope you catch lightning.

They have timers that detect gunfire for timing shooting competitions, but again, we're talking a whole new level of speed if you're trying to get a just-fired bullet versus a bullet hitting a target a distance away.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

HPL posted:

I think the easiest thing to do to catch a bullet coming out of the barrel would be to hold down the shutter on a burst, shoot the gun in the middle of the burst and hope you catch lightning.
If you have a camera that shoots 10fps, the difference in bullet position between frames is around 100m (~300 feet). If your shutter speed is 1/1000, the bullet will appear faint and roughly 3 feet long. This is why a flash is used since you can have flash durations that are much shorter than 1/8000.

This is assuming a muzzle velocity of 1000m/s. His rimfire is probably half that and subsonic ammo would help even more, but with the shutter delay it would still be best to use the dark room + flash trigger method.

Cool picture though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

brad industry posted:

I can't answer what he used, but I used to shoot bic lighters with a pellet gun and got cute little fireballs out of it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

TheLastManStanding posted:

If you have a camera that shoots 10fps, the difference in bullet position between frames is around 100m (~300 feet). If your shutter speed is 1/1000, the bullet will appear faint and roughly 3 feet long. This is why a flash is used since you can have flash durations that are much shorter than 1/8000.

No, my idea was to put the camera on burst and shooting in the middle of the burst in hopes that you catch the bullet just as it's leaving the barrel through sheer luck and coincidence.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HPL posted:

No, my idea was to put the camera on burst and shooting in the middle of the burst in hopes that you catch the bullet just as it's leaving the barrel through sheer luck and coincidence.
TheLastManStanding addressed this. The bullet is a few cm at most long, but travels 300m between the individual frames of your burst. So your odds of actually capturing a picture of the bullet are about 1 in 10 000, regardless of where along the bullet's trajectory the camera is pointed. At 1/8000s shutter speed, the bullet will travel several times its own length while the shutter is open, so even if one of your burst shots is (accidentally) exactly correctly timed, the bullet will be a long smear. If the muzzle is in-frame, you'll see the flash because it lasts much longer than the bullet remains in that space, but you almost certainly won't see the bullet at all.

High-speed film cameras used to capture bullets impacting things go through tens of thousands of frames in one second. They use motors that could run a lawnmower to spin the film reels.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So how does everyone handle their gear in public? I went to a local pub quiz tonight and some guy was there taking photos for something. He left a Canon 70-200 2.8 IS I in the corner with his bag of gear and then wandered around the bar taking pictures. Is this normal? He had a friend helping him but neither of them seemed to be paying particularly close attention to his stuff. I was sitting there shooting random photos with my 7D in the table right next to the corner so maybe he figured I'd watch it for him. I don't know, is this normal and I'm just over-protective of my stuff? I keep my poo poo on or around me at all times.

If I was leaving it somewhere to take pictures of the bar I'd probably leave it behind the bar or at least leave my $1500 lens in the bag and not right out in the open. I don't know, Maybe I'm paranoid, but I thought it was weird. I wouldn't leave my 50 1.8 just sitting around in public like that.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So how does everyone handle their gear in public? I went to a local pub quiz tonight and some guy was there taking photos for something. He left a Canon 70-200 2.8 IS I in the corner with his bag of gear and then wandered around the bar taking pictures. Is this normal? He had a friend helping him but neither of them seemed to be paying particularly close attention to his stuff. I was sitting there shooting random photos with my 7D in the table right next to the corner so maybe he figured I'd watch it for him. I don't know, is this normal and I'm just over-protective of my stuff? I keep my poo poo on or around me at all times.

If I was leaving it somewhere to take pictures of the bar I'd probably leave it behind the bar or at least leave my $1500 lens in the bag and not right out in the open. I don't know, Maybe I'm paranoid, but I thought it was weird. I wouldn't leave my 50 1.8 just sitting around in public like that.

At Quakecon, I saw someone leave a 5d2 with a 16-35 II on it for HOURS on the end of a table row. I think just because it was kind of near the NOC they thought it would be safe.

Personally, I put my camera bag somewhere "safe" like in the DJ Booth (just ask any DJ, they function as coat checks!) or behind the bar or something while I have my camera on me. If that's not an option, I bring a satchel that will hold my 70-200 or 2 other lenses and just wear that. I would never leave my camera bag on a bar seat or something completely unattended. I often have friends who will watch my bag for me, as they're aware of how expensive camera stuff can be.

So yes, that guy is crazy. Even if he knew the bar really well and a lot of the patrons, 30 seconds of going to the bathroom and that lens could be gone forever and no one would notice.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I carry a D3s when I'm travelling. If I'm not carrying the bag, the bag is between my feet. It is under my arm. It is under my head. If I'm sleeping, I'm hugging it. I don't show people it. If someone sees it, I am extra vigilant.

Mind you, I'm not sure if I have trust. That poo poo is just rust with a t.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

You want to know for comp purposes, don't you? That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it too.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

xzzy posted:

I can't answer what he used, but I used to shoot bic lighters with a pellet gun and got cute little fireballs out of it.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be secretive about this. Blowing things up in your back yard isn't really a crime. More of an American pass time. I'm going to use my TFR powers to venture a guess that it was one of those little propane tanks. Like the ones you hook up to a coleman camping stove. The problem is you need an ignition source, if not all the gas just escapes in that white plume and disperses, most people will stick a road flare near by to solve this issue. I've done it a couple times myself with the bigger tanks. I've never gotten a decent photo though. I've always been too busy giggling like a school girl. Here's a pretty decent example. You don't need a .50BMG like those guys, just a decent velocity rifle round like a .308 or a .223.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Wooten posted:

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be secretive about this.
He's not being secretive, he doesn't know - someone else posted those.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

FasterThanLight posted:

He's not being secretive, he doesn't know - someone else posted those.

Oh, my apologies. I misunderstood his post.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, sorry. Just because english is my first language doesn't mean I'm any good at it.

Mounting a candle near the object you're shooting is a great way to ignite whatever gas you're putting into the air. :supaburn:

You can also make some glorious fireballs throwing flour on a campfire.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The explosion might have been tannerite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannerite

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
The green was obviously green spray paint so that next to a flame would ignite
I did the same at ten feet with a bow when I was a kid. Scared the stupid out of me.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
If any of you Bay Area Dorkroomers want to come out of your parents' basements on Saturday night (11/20) I have some work in an art show in SOMA.
http://www.wix.com/purposebeyondreach/inksoftruth

There are several good photographers as well as a bunch of painters and also some live music. It's at Rancho Parnassus at 6th and Minna from 4-10:30. The show is a benefit for a local food bank, so the cover is 5 cans of food. It should be a pretty cool event, we actually got a little pre-coverage in the Guardian.
http://www.sfbayguardian.com/pixel_vision/2010/11/16/sf-local-artists-purpose-within-reach

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

dunkman posted:

I just set a price of more than I really want for it. Something worth a few hundred I'd add something like $50 to my real asking price. If they wanna haggle I'll give them $25 off and if they're really stubborn I'll give them $50. Last time I sold a lens the guy didn't haggle and gave me that $50 more than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

You want to know for comp purposes, don't you? That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it too.

Haha of course, I think I'll be in North Carolina for the holidays :banjo: