Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

21stCentury posted:

I'm starting to wonder... When will Americans, you know, do something?

You look at pretty much every part of American society and you can see it's full of bullshi. From a party with a platform that's basically "Disagree with the other guys" to a legal system where a cop who doesn't like you can beat you up and convict you as a rapist. I mean, how long can Americans stand for the 1% who own 90% of everything?

You might look at it and see bullshit but most of those Americans can't. A large portion of the population is indoctrinated to believe that they live in the best and most virtuous nation in the world. This will be very difficult to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kawalimus posted:

You might look at it and see bullshit but most of those Americans can't. A large portion of the population is indoctrinated to believe that they live in the best and most virtuous nation in the world. This will be very difficult to change.

Of all the marginalized groups in the country, prisoners are the most isolated from the suburban white guy.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
The indoctrination can't be that good that it cannot possibly be broken! I mean, after all, plenty of posters are Americans and post all about how terrible America really is, right?

They wouldn't do that if they were sure it was entirely in vain.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

21stCentury posted:

The indoctrination can't be that good that it cannot possibly be broken! I mean, after all, plenty of posters are Americans and post all about how terrible America really is, right?

They wouldn't do that if they were sure it was entirely in vain.

Coping mechanism

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

Of all the marginalized groups in the country, prisoners are the most isolated from the suburban white guy.

If there is going to be any kind of revolution it will start with large scale prison revolts. At this point there are literally as many people behind bars as there are in the entire US military.

No one can tell me this isn't a recipe for some kind of violence:

Click here for the full 1807x1200 image.

Nodrog
Apr 17, 2002

by angerbeet

Fire posted:

Or this thing where some girl from the suburbs got abducted and sold into sex slavery, where she was drugged and repeatedly raped and these heartless pimps just brazenly sell these women over craiglist like a used couch.
Is there another source for this because it seems really really fishy to me, like its been massively media sensationalised (or just made up). I googled and all the stories seem to be secondhand pieces based on the same documentary.

Specifically; why were the people who abducted her not found straight away (since the mother knew who they were)? Why would they take the risk of abducting someone who knew them, rather than just abducting a random stranger? The other teenage girl prostitute was enrolled in a highschoool just so she could lure girls as bait? really?

Also: Why would they feed her random drugs while she was unconscious? Why would they risk needlessly killing her when they were going to sell her for $300000? The whole rescue thing seems like too big a coincidence to be true; theyre just going to leave a kidnapped girl in the back of a car while they go buy a can of coke? Etc etc.

edit: this reports the same story with a lot of details changed (they abandoned her, she wasnt rescued. There was no intent to sell/traffick her. etc)

Nodrog fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 17, 2010

VoidAltoid
Sep 27, 2005

Nodrog posted:

:words:

I saw this movie with Liam Neeson where he was tracking down his daughter and killing people. I think it was called The Phantom Menace.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Woozy posted:

This is the problem? Really?
It is in my line of work (Public Defender).
When you call the police, don't be shocked when someone gets arrested.
Every drat day (ok, several weeks), I get a client who gets his rear end kicked because someone called the police, generally a family member, who is SHOCKED that it happened.
If there's a real victim, call the police. If your son is "moody," don't call the cops, call a shrink. You call the police when you want someone arrested, whether it was the guy who shot you or the guy who broke your window. That is what they are there for. They are not mediators. They are not shrinks. They are cops. And they arrest people. (They also taze people).

(Ok, this is not the police thread, but still)

nm fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 17, 2010

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

nm posted:

It is in my line of work (Public Defender).
When you call the police, don't be shocked when someone gets arrested.
Every drat day (ok, several weeks), I get a client who gets his rear end kicked because someone called the police, generally a family member, who is SHOCKED that it happened.
If there's a real victim, call the police. If your son is "moody," don't call the cops, call a shrink. You call the police when you want someone arrested, whether it was the guy who shot you or the guy who broke your window. That is what they are there for. They are not mediators. They are not shrinks. They are cops. And they arrest people. (They also taze people).

(Ok, this is not the police thread, but still)

I would consider that a problem with the police, not the people.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kawalimus posted:

I would consider that a problem with the police, not the people.
The primary issue is with the police.
But people could avoid the whole problem themselves may times.

If I crack my oil pan slightly, the real fix is replacing the oil pan. But that is expensive and hard in some cars. I can top off the oil, which is cheaper and easier in the short term while I get the money together to replace it.
Similar to the police, we can and should always work to reform, but we also need to realize until we fix the problem, we need to do our own thing.

However, there is a problem with the people in that many people don't realize there is a problem. This is why a jury can convict a man of resisting for trying to stop a bunch of officers beating him. He must have been doing something wrong.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
ACLU and SPLC file federal lawsuit challenging inhumane conditions at for-profit youth prison

ACLU posted:

JACKSON, MS – The American Civil Liberties Union, Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) and Jackson civil rights attorney Robert B. McDuff today filed a federal class-action lawsuit against the for-profit operators of the Walnut Grove Youth Correctional Facility (WGYCF), charging that the children there are forced to live in barbaric and unconstitutional conditions and are subjected to excessive uses of force by prison staff. The lawsuit was filed on behalf of all the teenagers and young men in the facility.

Among the named defendants in the lawsuit are the Walnut Grove Correctional Authority and the Geo Group, Inc., which is the second-largest private prison company in the country. The facility houses youth between the ages of 13 and 22 who have been tried and convicted as adults, more than two-thirds of whom are incarcerated for non-violent offenses.

"Lawmakers deciding to send children as young as 13 into the adult criminal justice system is a symptom of our nation's addiction to mass incarceration," said Margaret Winter, Associate Director of the ACLU National Prison Project. "Studies show that young people diverted into the adult criminal justice system are far more likely to re-offend than those treated as juveniles. And it ratchets up the likelihood of bad outcomes when the law commits kids to prisons run by profit-driven corporations that skimp on basic supervision and services to squeeze out more profit, leading to the kinds of suicides, rapes and beatings that are commonplace at WGYCF."

The lawsuit describes a facility known for its culture of violence and corruption. Some prison staff exploit youth by selling drugs inside the facility or by entering into sexual relationships with them. Staff members savagely beat young prisoners who are handcuffed and defenseless, or spray them with chemicals when they are locked in their cells.

WGYCF, which opened in 2001, was constructed with over $41 million of taxpayer money. Since then, the Mississippi legislature has tripled the size of the facility, leading to significantly increased profits for Geo Group.

"The Mississippi legislature established WGYCF with the hope that the young men housed there would be provided a second chance," said Sheila Bedi, Deputy Legal Director of SPLC. "Unfortunately, private prison companies prioritized their profits over the well being of Mississippi's youth. As a result, the young men imprisoned in this facility endure unspeakable abuses at a tremendous cost to Mississippi's taxpayers."

According to the lawsuit, one young man was tied to his bunk for over 24 hours, brutally raped and sexually assaulted after prison staff failed to heed his pleas for protection. Other youth have suffered multiple stabbings and beatings, including one youth who will live with permanent brain damage as a result of an attack in which prison staff were entirely complicit.

Michael McIntosh, the father of a young man who was incarcerated at the facility and a founder of Friends and Family of Youth Incarcerated at Walnut Grove, a coalition of individuals who advocate for the youth at WGYCF, said, "Because of the abuse my son suffered at WGYCF, he will live with permanent brain damage for the rest of his life."
Full complaint

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

duck monster posted:

If the judge ignored or misinformed the jury, that ought get turned over in a higher court, assuming he's got the $$$ to pursue it (Which can be a hard call when your rotting in a cell)

Careful though. Reason Mag is a libertarian publication, so you'll want to treat it with a degree of suspicion.

I don't get how the NRA didn't send an attack lawyer in a loving helicopter gunship to defend this guy.

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

Not recommended on thin sections.

Any particular reason that the programs which don't come across as obvious prisons, or sell themselves as 'therapy' haven't gotten ANY attention by the ACLU yet?

Really, do you have an inkling? If it's just them not knowing I'd happily call them.

Hourly. Until they do something, of course.

lurkaccount
Jan 4, 2009

by Diapered Witch
I wonder if it's the same at youth prisons, but there are many reports of inmates being threatened with reprisals for talking to the ACLU and filing complaints. I have no reason to believe it would be, especially at private prisons.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Nodrog posted:

Is there another source for this because it seems really really fishy to me, like its been massively media sensationalised (or just made up). I googled and all the stories seem to be secondhand pieces based on the same documentary.

Human trafficking and sex trafficking is a lot more prevalent than you would think. It happens in the US with alarming frequency, and I'm not sure where you're from, but I'm willing to bet it happens in your home country. I don't want to go all crime control and "think of the children" here, but it's one of those crimes that you don't see getting a lot of coverage. I can't really comment on the accuracy of the story you're talking about, though.

http://www.aclu.org/files/pdfs/womensrights/200705humantraffickingfs.pdf

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

lurkaccount posted:

I wonder if it's the same at youth prisons, but there are many reports of inmates being threatened with reprisals for talking to the ACLU and filing complaints. I have no reason to believe it would be, especially at private prisons.

Yes, the kids get threatened. However, it didn't stop the DoJ from investigating my state's only high security juvenile facility, finding violations, filing suit, and entering into a consent decree to try to fix things.
In reprisal, the legislature changed to law so that if you're late 16 or 17 years old, you can't go to that facility; you go straight to adult prison. Also, the state is closing the facility but won't spend the money to build a new one.

Nodrog
Apr 17, 2002

by angerbeet

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Human trafficking and sex trafficking is a lot more prevalent than you would think. It happens in the US with alarming frequency, and I'm not sure where you're from, but I'm willing to bet it happens in your home country. I don't want to go all crime control and "think of the children" here, but it's one of those crimes that you don't see getting a lot of coverage. I can't really comment on the accuracy of the story you're talking about, though.

http://www.aclu.org/files/pdfs/womensrights/200705humantraffickingfs.pdf
Im aware trafficking exists, however that story is probably either exaggerated or altered, and the idea that suburban white kids are likely to be snatched off the street and sold as prostitutes sounds like moral panic.

Nodrog fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 18, 2010

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nodrog posted:

Im aware trafficking exists, however that story is probably either exaggerated or altered, and the idea that suburban white kids are likely to be snatched off the street and sold as prostitutes sounds like moral panic.

My bet is the pimp was providing her with crack or meth and she went willingly.

A lot of human trafficking starts voluntarily, for a variety of reasons like searching for a job in a foreign country. It's only once they get there that they realize they are a slave and can't leave. Kind of like Dubai.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Rutibex posted:

My bet is the pimp was providing her with crack or meth and she went willingly.

A lot of human trafficking starts voluntarily, for a variety of reasons like searching for a job in a foreign country. It's only once they get there that they realize they are a slave and can't leave. Kind of like Dubai.
I wouldn't say that. Consider how many privileged white girls go missing every day, never to be heard from again. Consider also cases like Elizabeth Smart, held for 9 months by a fringe Mormon as his "wife".

Not all missing white girls are involuntary abductions; there are still a lot of rebels who get themselves in bad situations. But I'm also convinced there's a thriving trade in "white cargo".

And it's not exclusive to white girls. Or even girls in particular.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

anonumos posted:

I wouldn't say that. Consider how many privileged white girls go missing every day, never to be heard from again. Consider also cases like Elizabeth Smart, held for 9 months by a fringe Mormon as his "wife".

Not all missing white girls are involuntary abductions; there are still a lot of rebels who get themselves in bad situations. But I'm also convinced there's a thriving trade in "white cargo".

And it's not exclusive to white girls. Or even girls in particular.

If you are looking for white girls why go to the hassle of kidnapping an American? She could run away and just go to the police. If you trick and import a Russian girl she will have much less of an ability to escape. If she goes to the police she'll just be deported.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
There was a huge story a few years ago about how Japan treated the child and sex trafficking rings as an immigration problem instead of a real problem. The would put there heads in the sand and say, "you don't have a passport, you should be deported" instead of, "Wow you just escaped from a crappy situation, here lets see what we can do".

It was really funny when Japan came out and said "we have no sex trafficking problem" only to have a reporter and human rights groups point out how big of an issue it really was.

The problem really is huge, well known, and kept out of the light as much as possible.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Rutibex posted:

If you are looking for white girls why go to the hassle of kidnapping an American? She could run away and just go to the police. If you trick and import a Russian girl she will have much less of an ability to escape. If she goes to the police she'll just be deported.
Because you don't have to import a kidnapped American. The smuggled victims are 'handled' the same way: dope them up, isolate and intimidate, demean them to submission, and convince them that there's no hope of escape and that they will be scorned by their families and police even if they do escape.

It's cheaper to find a local source and if there aren't enough runways and delinquents, you just nabb a good looking one from suburbia.

PS: I don't know why I've spent so much time thinking about this, but it really is all over the news. White girls, black girls, foreign immigrant girls...they go missing all the time. Usually its "runaway", crimes of opportunity, or home invasions gone wrong. But often enough, there's just no hint of what happened to the victim. They dissapear. Then, sometimes, they show up years later as if they were changelings raised by a new mommy and daddy. Some of those stories come out paired with horrific testimony about sex-slavery and forced prostitution. It happens.

Take this story for instance: the girl was found, no sign of her family or the family friend. Why was she kept, if not for possible abuse or trade?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20022831-504083.html

anonumos fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 18, 2010

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Inmates who want to see a doctor or nurse will be required to make a $15 co-payment. The prison board on Wednesday approved the new fee, along with a $20 booking and processing fee. [...] "The inmates were abusing their medical privileges, and this eliminated overcrowding in the medical units," said Sue Bensinger, spokeswoman for the state Department of Corrections.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dailycourier/guestcolumn/s_709919.html

VoidAltoid
Sep 27, 2005

HidingFromGoro posted:

Inmates who want to see a doctor or nurse will be required to make a $15 co-payment. The prison board on Wednesday approved the new fee, along with a $20 booking and processing fee. [...] "The inmates were abusing their medical privileges, and this eliminated overcrowding in the medical units," said Sue Bensinger, spokeswoman for the state Department of Corrections.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dailycourier/guestcolumn/s_709919.html

Yeah, charging them for medical care when they make next to nothing, I'm sure no preventable medical problems will come from this :downs:

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
"The inmates were abusing their medical privileges, and this eliminated overcrowding in the medical units" -- there is just so much wrong with this statement, it's hard to believe.

"The inmates were abusing medical privileges..." Classic reasoning of punish all when a few abuse the system. The most egregious use of this I've personally come across was this guy I knew who was very proud of his stance on giving spare change or a buck to vagrants who were asking. Basically he wasn't "against helping those in need", but there are people out there with jobs and a roof over their head who go out on the street and "act" homeless to beg for cash. Ergo, he could be giving money to someone who was "faking", ergo he stopped giving out any money so that the fakers couldn't profit. Not to get left/right political but it's fun to identify arguments made on political issues like univ. health care that borrow this same reasoning.

"...and this eliminated overcrowding in the medical units" :bravo:. I hear you can eliminate all the dogshit in your back yard by cutting down on how much you feed your pets, too.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 19, 2010

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

VoidAltoid posted:

Yeah, charging them for medical care when they make next to nothing, I'm sure no preventable medical problems will come from this :downs:

This isn't a matter of stupidity. They know exactly what will result from this new policy, and they don't give a poo poo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rutibex posted:

This isn't a matter of stupidity. They know exactly what will result from this new policy, and they don't give a poo poo.

Ofcourse they give a poo poo. They have overcrowding problems. Increasing the mortality rate will help alleviate that problem. This policy is beneficial for them and so I'm sure they care a lot. Don't be upset about the increased prisoner deaths, they aren't really humans anyway.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Rutibex posted:

It's even worse than you think, because with this system, cash money (or credit to prison accounts) just got a whole lot more valuable. So that means the whole prison economy is going to go into disarray. "Commodities" like ramen packets, coffee, and junk food will be suddenly worth less, and direct deposits into prison accounts will be worth a lot more; to say nothing of cash payments on the outside. And the economy- like all economies- is nothing if not fast-acting. So now, since medical treatment is literally a consumer product that is sold & purchased, enormous leverage has been given to the gangs. Do you need an example. John (who has no money) owes me, I am a gang lieutenant. I fracture John's rib, and now he has to go to medical. John had the choice of, pay me $10 worth of ramen packets and coffee, or I break the rib and John's mom has to deposit $35 in John's account for him to go to medical. Or I sell that debt to Pablo for $2, and now John has to pay Pablo $18 worth of food plus the $35 from his mom to the prison. Maybe I tell John, hey we can take care of this, I can have my old lady come deposit the $35 in your account so you can go to medical- but now you owe me $50; so how are you going to make that up to me? I'm sure more intelligent posters than me can come up with something better, but don't think that the same practices and mentalities that exist in financial institutions don't exist in prison.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

flux_core posted:

Any particular reason that the programs which don't come across as obvious prisons, or sell themselves as 'therapy' haven't gotten ANY attention by the ACLU yet?

Really, do you have an inkling? If it's just them not knowing I'd happily call them.

Hourly. Until they do something, of course.

I'm sure they know. The ACLU just doesn't have enough time or money to actually pursue every case of injustice, unfortunately. Even the case HFG quoted, it looks the SPLC and a local lawyer are doing a lot of the work.

The programs you are talking about are horrific though.

edit: It isn't just the ACLU, either. Look at the Innocence Project, they do tons of great work, but they probably get thousands of more potential cases per year than they have the resources to deal with, so they have to pick the most promising ones.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 20, 2010

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Xandu posted:

I'm sure they know. The ACLU just doesn't have enough time or money to actually pursue every case of injustice, unfortunately. Even the case HFG quoted, it looks the SPLC and a local lawyer are doing a lot of the work.

The programs you are talking about are horrific though.

There's a movie called "Over the GW" that's about programs. I've shown it to a lot of people, and both veteran (30+ year) prison staff and validated prison-gang shot-callers were physically sick at it, as well as both sets advocating violence/waving guns in the air. And more than half were like "turn it off- turn this poo poo off right now or you and I are going to have a problem, and I don't care who you are."

The programs are easily as bad as our prison system. Worse, maybe, because they are for children.

Children.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I'll check it out, I don't think I've seen it. Honestly the saddest part of that is that parents willingly send their kids there. I'm sure in some cases they don't know how bad it is, but a lot of it is just giving up on their kids and washing their hands of them.

I can't turn up anything from Google, but didn't one of the companies in Utah actually get shut down?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Xandu posted:

I'll check it out, I don't think I've seen it. Honestly the saddest part of that is that parents willingly send their kids there. I'm sure in some cases they don't know how bad it is, but a lot of it is just giving up on their kids and washing their hands of them.

I can't turn up anything from Google, but didn't one of the companies in Utah actually get shut down?

Dude, those companies actually offer a "Kidnap your kids" service.

if you check the "Please kidnap my kids and add a 50$ surcharge" option on your form... Can the treatment surprise you so much?

Also, the WWASP is the king of terrible. They had a facility in the caribbean built specifically to avoid pesky laws that make it harder to administer tough love.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Rutibex posted:

Keep in mind, the goal is to have the maximum amount of people in jail, so minor care will still happen (each person is worth like 30,000 / year) There trying to reduce costs for those who will get out some day and will cover costs for those with life + time to go.

Its really evil.

Thlom
Feb 24, 2008
It's interesting that two countries within the (more or less) same cultural sphere can treat their prisoners so differently as Norway and USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4L6-0WRfSA (jump to 5:20)

All prisons in Norway isn't like this, but they're closer to this than to american prisons. My hope is that if (when) the populist right manages to get to power that they won't destroy our human treatment of inmates ...

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Thlom posted:

two countries within the (more or less) same cultural sphere

We're radically different in our racial makeup than Norway, and that contributes greatly to the realities of our police and prison systems. I mean, policies and procedures in the prison system were implemented immediately after the end of our Civil War to maintain the ability to essentially buy or lease black people to do work- and as soon as those were enacted, the percentage of black inmates increased greatly, sometimes as much as tenfold, immediately following the War. Also, what little I know of Norway also suggests that we have much greater disparities in wealth/income/affluence than y'all as well; which also plays a part.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!
drat Norway kicks rear end. Good music, best prisons and amazing quailty of life. Other countries should definatly learn from their example. Rehabilitating prisoners works better then forcing them into inhuman conditions and making it so they can never work a good job again.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

HidingFromGoro posted:

We're radically different in our racial makeup than Norway, and that contributes greatly to the realities of our police and prison systems. I mean, policies and procedures in the prison system were implemented immediately after the end of our Civil War to maintain the ability to essentially buy or lease black people to do work- and as soon as those were enacted, the percentage of black inmates increased greatly, sometimes as much as tenfold, immediately following the War.

Do you have some sources for this? I'd like to do some further reading on it.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

HidingFromGoro posted:

We're radically different in our racial makeup than Norway, and that contributes greatly to the realities of our police and prison systems. I mean, policies and procedures in the prison system were implemented immediately after the end of our Civil War to maintain the ability to essentially buy or lease black people to do work- and as soon as those were enacted, the percentage of black inmates increased greatly, sometimes as much as tenfold, immediately following the War.
So perhaps we should stop following our Civil War model then? Treat people like people and they're behave as such.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

joat mon posted:

Do you have some sources for this? I'd like to do some further reading on it.

The prison industry in the United States: big business or a new form of slavery?
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=8289

A Brief History of the Prison Industry
http://www.insideprison.com/prison-industry-labor.asp

Rooted in Slavery: Prison Labor Exploitation
http://www.urbanhabitat.org/node/856

What would happen is the former slaves would be given a "share-cropping" deal whereby they remained basically in slavery but got to keep a portion of what they farmed. Of course like the record industry of today the land owners knew how to adjust the books so that the former slaves could never really pay their "expenses". This was a crime, and the former slaves who couldn't pay their debts would be carted off to prisons to be leased out by the government. Gotcha!

The civil war wasn't about ending slavery, it was about nationalizing and industrializing it.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medieval Thinker
Nov 6, 2010
The most practical system for improving prisons would be to use wage garnishment or paid forced labor to deal with people who commit minor property crimes, basically not putting them in a big violent filing cabinet but forcing them to do something productive to pay off the harm they have caused. In the case of drugs, possession of whatever drug could be simply like a speeding or parking ticket. For drug dealers, especially of soft drugs, again, just make them pay a big fine. For smaller time violent offenders, send them to a prison with people of the same ilk, and put everyone in solitary so they don't fight each other. You could then use the savings on guards to rehabilitate them. Those who commit serious violent crimes (assault with deadly weapon, rape, etc.) put them right into the system we have now, especially the recidivist ones. And for the most heinous crimes of all, execute them. A lot of the cruelty could be lessened if they simply shortened the appeals process to a maximum of 3 years between death sentence and execution. To lessen the danger of executing the innocent, make DNA testing mandatory in every death sentence case.

Since my suggestions on property crimes and drug use would probably get 2/3rds of prisoners out of prison, there would be enough money and resources to really deal with the people who need to be locked away from civil society.

As for the slavery analogy everyone is making, I don't think it is accurate. When someone is dehumanized and forced to work simply because of who they are (Black), that is one of the most abhorrent things about slavery. When someone is forced to work as a means of paying off their debt to society (the wrong that they committed to be imprisoned and be in a situation where they are coerced to work), that seems entirely different.

EDIT:
One very major thing that is not taken into account when we look at the value of separating violent offenders from society with long sentences is the difference seen in crime rates since the more draconian sentencing laws came in. You look at the US during the 1970s and early 1980s where the big focus was on the poor disenfranchised criminals and how we needed to rehabilitate them, and how high the murder and violent crime rates were in cities like New York and Los Angeles. Admittedly, much of that crime was criminal on criminal crime which is now simply happening in prisons instead of on the streets, but the value for the whole society in not having sociopaths or folks with sociopathic tendencies running around free is immense. The case of Bernard Goetz captured pretty clearly that the general population is not willing to put up with a climate of fear for the benefit of people who they believe are gaming a bleeding heart system. The alternative to incarcerating large numbers of violent offenders is either the depopulation and destruction of areas they frequent, worsening the problem (see US inner cities from the 1960s-1990s), or individual reaction to said violence through self-help (read: Everybody has to carry guns and shoot people who try to hurt them).

Medieval Thinker fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 21, 2010

• Locked thread