Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wutz
Oct 23, 2010

berserk 317 on somemanga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm rereading Berserk, and his art is great even on chapter 26, but it's amazing now. Wow. Great chapter overall.

Also, I started on chapter 1, and there was a weird thing where I was reading (somemanga). The chapters are titled The Golden Age and there's a mayor/priest type thing who becomes an apostle in order to fight heretics. Is that a one-shot type thing that he later developed into the manga, or some misplaced chapter? There's no sign of Caska or anything, and he meets Puck in those chapters as well. He's one-armed, and...I can't remember if he's one-eyed.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^ If you are talking about the first chapters where Guts meets Puck and fights Serpent-Duke and Snail-Baron, well that's the way the series starts.

It's great to see that there will be another berserk in 2 weeks. Hopefully Miura can keep going full-steam for a long while.

And now, and keeping with tradition, with mermaid girl and moonlight boy, Guts has attracted even more children into his group. Besides Serpico (And Farneze, but see is also pretty childish) everybody else is a figurative or literal child

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Koalas March posted:

I do wonder why he he's only able to manifest (or whatever) when the moon is full. I know the moon is supposed to have crazy supernatural powers in just about any culture, but I'd like an official reason that links his appearances, instead of "The moon is magic!". Especially in light of the creepy demon fetus that shows up whenever it pleases.

I see two possible reasons why he has only shown up during a full moon since Femto used his body to be reincarnated as Griffith. One being that "magical powers peak with the full moon", which you and Schierke have already said. The second possible reason could be because Casca gave birth to the demon child in volume 14 during a full moon. The moon is seen in at the end of volume 13 after Guts breaks down and runs out into the night. However this could all be coincidence since the demon child has been seen when the moon has not been full, like in volume 1, or maybe at that time Miura didn't really know where he was going with him at that point. I don't really know what phase the moon has been in every time we have seen the demon child. Next time I read through the manga it will definitely be something I look for, but either way, the fact that a full moon increases the power of magic and that he was born on the night of a full moon is reason enough I think.

What really has me interested is Schierke's comment about how she sensed no hostility from the Moonlight Boy. I really want to know if Griffith, Femto, and the Moonlight Boy can only exist in the world one at a time like it was suggested with Zodds presence the last time he showed up. And if so how come Guts and Cascas brands are not effected by him? Or can they be in multiple places at once? I hope more insight is given next episode. Fusing with Guts child seems to be Griffith's only weakness, I wonder if Guts would try to take advantage of it if he found out.

I hope that makes sense. I had a really hard time putting that into words since one character is really three different characters. Two being the same person and one being a different person. :suicide:

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
My idea is that the kid who shows up at the full moon is their child's spirit, while Griffith is currently inhabiting the kid's body. Might even be the traditional body/mind/soul division. Griffith watches Guts battle Zodd on the Hill of Swords to make sure that he doesn't still love him, and as the battle goes on Griffith finds himself being moved. He theorizes that its due to the body he's using, so maybe the mind is in there too. The soul gets displaced, doomed to wander the earth, only able to take the form of an androgynous boy-child on the full moon.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

L.E. Cheetah posted:

My idea is that the kid who shows up at the full moon is their child's spirit, while Griffith is currently inhabiting the kid's body. Might even be the traditional body/mind/soul division. Griffith watches Guts battle Zodd on the Hill of Swords to make sure that he doesn't still love him, and as the battle goes on Griffith finds himself being moved. He theorizes that its due to the body he's using, so maybe the mind is in there too. The soul gets displaced, doomed to wander the earth, only able to take the form of an androgynous boy-child on the full moon.

I'm confused by your post. It is a complex topic but maybe you could clear it up.

So you think that when Griffith fused with Guts' child he just took the physical flesh and kicked out its "soul"? Griffiths response to Guts while fighting Zodd was because he fused with the body/mind not the soul?

If I understood your post correctly... Is there anything in the manga that supports the body/mind/soul view of people? And if the childs soul is separate from Griffith, wandering the earth only able to take on a physical form during a full moon, why was Zodd seen in volume 28 when Casca was found with the boy?

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

trucutru posted:

Hopefully Miura can keep going full-steam for a long while.
At least until Idolmaster 2 comes out.

Anyone else notice he is starting to draw Guts differently? It looked like he slimmed down Guts' face in some of the panels in the newest chapter.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Gwynne posted:

I'm confused by your post. It is a complex topic but maybe you could clear it up.

So you think that when Griffith fused with Guts' child he just took the physical flesh and kicked out its "soul"? Griffiths response to Guts while fighting Zodd was because he fused with the body/mind not the soul?

If I understood your post correctly... Is there anything in the manga that supports the body/mind/soul view of people? And if the childs soul is separate from Griffith, wandering the earth only able to take on a physical form during a full moon, why was Zodd seen in volume 28 when Casca was found with the boy?

I don't think there's anything like that in the manga so far. The most we've seen is a mind/body duality via all the Gut's getting possessing, kid witch knocking him out of it. I do still feel that the moon child is Gut's and Casca's child if untainted, the demon baby is the tainted version, and that Griffith is taking the place of the child in some way (as evidenced by his feelings toward Guts/Casca post-resurrection and Zodd being with the moon child.) Maybe during the full moon Griffith turns into the moonchild?

Also I doubt this is going to happen in the next five years, but I'd really like to see how screwed up human society is by the age of myth starting.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

trucutru posted:

^^^^ If you are talking about the first chapters where Guts meets Puck and fights Serpent-Duke and Snail-Baron, well that's the way the series starts.

It's great to see that there will be another berserk in 2 weeks. Hopefully Miura can keep going full-steam for a long while.

And now, and keeping with tradition, with mermaid girl and moonlight boy, Guts has attracted even more children into his group. Besides Serpico (And Farneze, but see is also pretty childish) everybody else is a figurative or literal child
But he has his iron slab sword and his robohand :psyduck:. Is it just setting the scene?

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Elysiume posted:

But he has his iron slab sword and his robohand :psyduck:. Is it just setting the scene?

The manga starts out with Guts already on his quest for revenge, then after that first arc it flashes back to when he was born and continues from there.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_media_res

We're introduced to Guts as the Black Swordsman, then we see how he got there, then he finds Caska again and so forth and so on.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's rather well done in that, because it goes from a lot more fantastic to a lot more realistic, which makes the slowly encroaching fanstastic in the 2nd "Chapter" much more interesting

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Zorak posted:

It's rather well done in that, because it goes from a lot more fantastic to a lot more realistic, which makes the slowly encroaching fanstastic in the 2nd "Chapter" much more interesting

I still think that the Golden Age Arc should have been longer. It was the best part of the manga in my opinion.

Salsa McManus posted:

Anyone else notice he is starting to draw Guts differently? It looked like he slimmed down Guts' face in some of the panels in the newest chapter.

I think all of Guts has been slimmed down, since using the armor is thinning him out considerably.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

mune posted:

I still think that the Golden Age Arc should have been longer. It was the best part of the manga in my opinion.

I think all of Guts has been slimmed down, since using the armor is thinning him out considerably.

When he got on the ship initially it really showed. Just this last chapter it seems Miura thinned down his face quite a bit.

Has anyone read any of the Sci-Fi novels that Miura used as inspiration for naming the God Hand? I was reading Do Android Dream Of Electric Sheep the other day and noticed Phillip K. Dick also wrote Ubik. I remember looking up all the novels to the corresponding names awhile ago. I think I might go pick up Ubik after I finish my current read.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Salsa McManus posted:

Has anyone read any of the Sci-Fi novels that Miura used as inspiration for naming the God Hand? I was reading Do Android Dream Of Electric Sheep the other day and noticed Phillip K. Dick also wrote Ubik. I remember looking up all the novels to the corresponding names awhile ago. I think I might go pick up Ubik after I finish my current read.

You may already know, but for everyone else:

http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/God_Hand

They're all based on a mishmash of genre fiction / occult / art references. I've read The Hellbound Heart but none of the other likely inspirations.

Gomegoth
Oct 8, 2009

Koalas March posted:

I do wonder why he he's only able to manifest (or whatever) when the moon is full. I know the moon is supposed to have crazy supernatural powers in just about any culture, but I'd like an official reason that links his appearances, instead of "The moon is magic!". Especially in light of the creepy demon fetus that shows up whenever it pleases.

I for one hope we never get anything like an "official" reason. Berserk is a Gothic fantasy - it's about the wonder/fear of the unknown. To start explaining everything would be to ruin what makes Berserk so great.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Salsa McManus posted:

When he got on the ship initially it really showed. Just this last chapter it seems Miura thinned down his face quite a bit.

I've read Ubik. And, to be honest, it's hard to explain and I also don't want to because the book is short and rather fun. Having to check the wiki to see if I had the right book in mind, I'm reminded of another side of it.

What you need to know:
-It's old sci-fi, some of the ideas are impossible, others probably became 100% in digital format instead of with reel-to-reel magnetic tape. Reading a few PKD books a year, it's amazing how many of his ideas became reality sans the reel-to-reel.
-People near death are frozen so the whole death business is stretched out. Family defrost them every few years or decades to hook up with their brain waves and chat with them about what's happened. There's a finite time left though.
-It's been almost 2 years, but it seems to be the book with psychic espionage. Yes, mind reading to steal data. To counter that you need anti-psychics to create fields that nullify other powers.

I've said too much.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Gomegoth posted:

I for one hope we never get anything like an "official" reason. Berserk is a Gothic fantasy - it's about the wonder/fear of the unknown. To start explaining everything would be to ruin what makes Berserk so great.
I agree. "The moon is magic!" is a perfectly sound reason. Not every settings needs scientific magic.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The Full Moon has an effect on the human psyche, which in turn results in a physical effect on the world. That's it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zorak posted:

Also, it manages to introduce a non-traditional protagonist pretty well. Guts is a goddamn monster in those first few chapters. He is a complete bastard and he particularly hates that "Griffith" demon. But the reader is not told much besides that. Then, a few chapters into the golden age arc, he meets Griffith who seems like a decent enough dude. The reader will naturally think about what could have he done to piss Guts so much, which is a great hook.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
I've read Roger Zelazny's "...And Call Me Conrad" also known as "This Immortal". To be honest, I find it pretty hard to tell whether Berserk's Conrad has anything in common with the one in the book. There probably isn't a literal connection.

In the book, Conrad is supposed to be either a low-echelon ancient Greek god or a long-living mutant. He is ugly and uber strong and wrestles all the time (because he is Greek?). His main objective is to save a post-apocalyptic nearly deserted Earth from being forgotten and/or overrun by aliens.

It's a pretty good read, but I honestly expected it to be some kind of a Vampire Hunter D thing. There is a vampire in it, but not that kind. It's just weird.

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 18, 2010

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

This was a good chapter. I really wish they were off the island already but at least it felt like there was some good progress

The girl's already decided to come with them (could've easily went down some several chapters of indecision route), coming up with a plan to take down the Pirates or whatever once and for all to stop an endless loving journey panning out with them constantly being chased and antagonised again, some progress on Farnese's witch abilities, some set up for there to be progress on the identity of the kid, etc.

imfrustrtd
Apr 24, 2010
Next chapter is out looks like it's going to be mermaids to the rescue clean-up crew.:v:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like another break in releases.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

YouTuber posted:

At least he apologizes for it!

... or, actually, at least his editor apologizes for him :geno:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

YouTuber posted:

At least he apologized this time. Still, they said it would be a "short" suspension. What qualifies as a "short" suspension for Berserk?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nalin posted:

At least he apologized this time. Still, they said it would be a "short" suspension. What qualifies as a "short" suspension for Berserk?

Anything less than 8 months.

wutz
Oct 23, 2010

berserk 318

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

God drat this loving thing. I can't help but feel every intended range of emotion in that chapter.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That new helmet that came from being mentally aware makes me think of him as Batguts now. The only downside of which is that I kept hearing him talk in Christian Bale's bat-voice.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Andrigaar posted:

That new helmet that came from being mentally aware makes me think of him as Batguts now. The only downside of which is that I kept hearing him talk in Christian Bale's bat-voice.

Don't worry; you're not the only one.

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.

Andrigaar posted:

gently caress you now I can't stop hearing it in my mind.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
Nunanunanuna Bat-Guts! Nunanunanunanuna Bat-Guts!

Now we just need some fan-art depicting Isidro in some spandex.

edit: Griffith as Catwoman.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A bit of useless trivia:

The ritual Farnese performed at the beginning "exists" and is called Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram, from Thelema. It's supposed to do exactly what it does in the manga - protect the caster from evil spirits. The words she utters is broken hebraic probably from hebraic-to-japanese-to-english translation.

As with most of the older animes/mangas, Berserk has a plethora of occultism references. Mostly stuff made popular by Crowley though, I believe. Magic in Berserk is exactly how the occultists from the past centuries envisioned it to be. The whole thing with astral bodies, etc.

Unlike Evangelion which has some really, really obscure poo poo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Elentor posted:

Unlike Evangelion which has some really, really obscure poo poo.

Obscure poo poo thrown around without any idea about what it meant, yeah.

Batguts!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

trucutru posted:

Obscure poo poo thrown around without any idea about what it meant, yeah.

Well, it means what Eva needs it to mean, regardless of its original context. It's not properly referential but I wouldn't call most of it meaningless, either.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I promised myself that I would slow down on my reading, that I would ration out the books so I can fully enjoy them... but it turns out I enjoyed them so much, I read about one or two volumes a night, now I'm close to the end. Currently I'm on book 29 of 34 and I'm wondering how fast do these books get released? Also how caught up am I with the scan releases? :sigh:

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

obi_ant posted:

I promised myself that I would slow down on my reading, that I would ration out the books so I can fully enjoy them... but it turns out I enjoyed them so much, I read about one or two volumes a night, now I'm close to the end. Currently I'm on book 29 of 34 and I'm wondering how fast do these books get released? Also how caught up am I with the scan releases? :sigh:

Per Wikipedia Volume 35, the most recent volume, was released in Japan in late September with no scheduled English release date.

Only three chapters have been published that follow Volume 35, so it's fair to assume there's not going to be a new volume for quite some time.

Edit: Volume 29 starts at Chapter 247 of 318 total released chapters. After Volume 34 you'll be only 12 chapters away from the latest release.

SeedyV fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 13, 2010

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This manga is great. I'm on volume 27 so far. Theres a few things that have been bugging me. How did Griffith get all these super powerful apostles to start following himw illingly and with such devotion. Especially Zodd. Is it all because Griffith got a power boost or are apostles supposed to be the gods hands servants? Also what happened to the last god hand that Fento replaced. And Fento/Griffith are they the same person right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Kneel Before Zog posted:

This manga is great. I'm on volume 27 so far. Theres a few things that have been bugging me. How did Griffith get all these super powerful apostles to start following himw illingly and with such devotion. Especially Zodd. Is it all because Griffith got a power boost or are apostles supposed to be the gods hands servants? Also what happened to the last god hand that Fento replaced. And Fento/Griffith are they the same person right now?

Apostles are basically the God Hand's servants. As far as I know there never was a 5th God Hand until Femto. It hasn't been specifically stated that Femto and New Griffith are one and the same, at least, not yet.