Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Mirror, rear turn signals, Seat cover, cleaned... guess I don't know much about dirtbikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
My Suzuki GN250, she's a work in progress, slowly being bobbed...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
It's a work in progress.

1977 Honda CB750K

It's got Keihin CR carbs, a Yamiya 4-1, and a Hondaman transistorized ignition at the moment.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the reason why I'm not riding it...

The tappet adjuster nut is still on the loose somewhere in the valvetrain.
I'll be pulling the motor soon and doing a lot of work to the bike.

If you care to keep up with the progress you can check my blog.

blog url changed

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 24, 2011

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Neckbeard v. 2.0 posted:

Mirror, rear turn signals, Seat cover, cleaned... guess I don't know much about dirtbikes.

You got it! You also can't tell but I painted the front sprocket guard. Also on the first picture, you can barely see a line on the front forks from the leaking oil seals. Forks are now rebuilt with progressive springs / new seals. :)

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

p0stal b0b posted:

My Suzuki GN250, she's a work in progress, slowly being bobbed...

This bike looks so... simple.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Clank posted:

This bike looks so... simple.

It's an '84, & they haven't changed much since then. It's an ideal learning bike, for riding, mechanics & tinkering.

And of course, I'm slowly making it simpler... :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Since I know CA loves big-rear end "dual sports", allow me to present my '91 KDX250SR. This one's a JDM/Asia market SR, near as I can make out from the VIN, which came to the UK most recently via France (to judge by the centimes and euros in the tail pack). The SR features full KPH instruments + horn signals and lights, a metal tank (WHY?), oil pump and oil reservoir to save you mixing your own, steering lock and ignition key lock (no battery), pillion pegs, a smaller carb and a different piston and KIPS setup.

Bought it from a guy who did a complete engine rebuild, including a KX head gasket (huge reduction in size, though no idea what the CR is now) and one of them tassinari v-force reed block thingumbobs. He also put Renthals, OEM handguards, a new OEM pipe, new panels and a new front fender on it, and the "tasteful" headlight unit (in his defence, the OEM item is properly hosed as well as sun-faded).

He sold it as hard to start and probably thought he'd done well to get rid of it, as this soon became not starting at all. With the help of an experienced master of crummy Italian 2Ts (though admittedly after a lot of swearing and head scratching on my part), it turned out the laugh was on him, as the bike had simply sheared its woodruff key. $1.99 and some gasket sealant and lapping paste later, the air was filled with expensive, strawberry flavored smoke and the KDX was ready to wreak havoc again. (Probably on my wallet, right?)

On the list is a repaint and new stickers for the fork guards and rear fender (in natty Kwakasucki green, like the stylin' rear caliper guard), a works connection skid plate, new front wheel bearings, '91 KX250 forks (KDX forks are stupidly undersprung and lack anything approaching damping - they're actually worse than the better-known 220's RWU units) new caliper bleed nipples and new sintered pads for the back. Also thinking of a retrofit new-school kickstand - I know people do this to 220s to deal with the self-deploying character of the OEM item.

It's a bit of a heavy old beast, even in comparison to my old 220, but after a bit of initial trepidation, it seems like you can take almost the same liberties with it. I'm taking it on an outing to a local MX track on Saturday - it'll be interesting to see how it does in that particular china shop.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Jabs posted:

This may not be the wisest thing I've ever done...

...or maybe it is.

The seller trailered the bike up this afternoon, and took the KLR with him.
He brought a PILE of spare parts.
Two brand new knobbies - one still in the shipping box.
The OEM gas tank and shrouds.
An eBay ignition.
Skid plate, some fluids (brake fluid, rattle can of black)
Brand new throttle cable.

...and...

The big bore kit.

I loving STOLE this bike. (There's $1330 in the tank, big bore, and Dual Sport kit - and that doesn't count the extra headlight, ignition, original tank and shrouds, etc., that came with it.)

More pictures!

On the other bike, I kept a spare KLR seat and plopped it on the SR-250 earlier...
Kind of badass, but it needs a little better fitment.
It's a huge improvement from the stock seat.

To:

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 15, 2010

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I decided to take the plunge after getting sideswiped on my Ninja 250 and upgrade to something else. I've kicked around ideas of getting a DRZ, an SV650, or one of the 600 inline sportbikes. Couldn't decide. DRZs are too expensive, the 600s have slightly more power than my Ninja until you get above 9k, and I didn't like the previous generation round style of SV, or the factory naked style.

I jumped on Craigslist while I was waiting for the total loss value of the Ninja to come, and found an SV 650 locally for a few grand, with full fairings that caught my eye. On a lark, I also searched for a 1000, not even thinking to consider it seriously. Too bad I found this.

I never even went to look at the 650.

2005 SV1000S, naked conversion with Aztec-8 dual headlights, and stainless steel brake lines. Other than that its pretty much stock. 6101 miles after getting it home, a thousand or so miles on the 2CTs though the rear has a little gash in it. Front brake discs are ever so slightly warped, talked him down a bit for that. Its barely noticeable though.

It was very docile on surface streets on the ride home, though I can't wait to crack the throttle a little on the freeway.

Not sure about the bar end mirrors yet, I may be looking into a higher solution so I don't have to look at the ground to see what's behind me.

Somehow, it feels smaller than the 250. Probably the lack of a windscreen.

And the full garage shot. Too many bikes! I only started a year and a half ago.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 16, 2010

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
That's a good looking SV, nicely done to you for picking it up and to the PO for doing a tasteful job on it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

If you've lost 10mpg because of a PC map you're running the wrong map or something else is wrong.

To come back to this, it was the bad map definitely.

My last tank was 133.1 miles and 3.311 gallons putting it right about 40mpg. This was mainly suburban and backroad riding, with some lovely downtown city traffic and about 10 miles 2up, with less than 10 on the highway.

So what I'm saying is, the mileage is great. Getting 40 while doing whatever with little highway on a 100hp bike is the definition of win.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

2005 SV1000S, naked conversion with Aztec-8 dual headlights, and stainless steel brake lines. Other than that its pretty much stock. 6101 miles after getting it home, a thousand or so miles on the 2CTs though the rear has a little gash in it. Front brake discs are ever so slightly warped, talked him down a bit for that. Its barely noticeable though.

What's up Suzuki 1000cc v-twin buddy? I don't think I've ever seen an SV1000 here. I've had a TL for almost 10 years. I've always wondered what the differences were. The TL has upside down forks and frame is more oval/tube than box section. Does the SV have a conventional rear shock? I'm probably the only person left with the TL's rotary unit in the rear.

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
Here is an old picture of my ape 50. 50cc 4 stroke, 5 speed, 12 inch wheels, and slow as poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
That Ape looks really fun to ride.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cmorrow001 posted:

That Ape looks really fun to ride.

Looks nice to work on too--tons of space around the engine and really simple overall.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AnnoyBot posted:

What's up Suzuki 1000cc v-twin buddy? I don't think I've ever seen an SV1000 here. I've had a TL for almost 10 years. I've always wondered what the differences were. The TL has upside down forks and frame is more oval/tube than box section. Does the SV have a conventional rear shock? I'm probably the only person left with the TL's rotary unit in the rear.

The SV has a detuned TL engine, I believe it's a bit heavier, and it has lower spec suspension (earlier model RSU GSX-R forks), although it does have a conventional rear shock. It wasn't hugely popular because it was a step to the touring side from the TL, and it's little brother was just as quick up a twisty road or around a track.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Plus Jack the Smack owned one, so nobody wanted one after that.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

This is literally the worst part about my new bike.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
Those Ape's wheels are so tiny, makes the bike even more adorable.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Spiffness posted:

So that's why needknees sold his CBR1k!

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

mattmofob posted:

Here is an old picture of my ape 50. 50cc 4 stroke, 5 speed, 12 inch wheels, and slow as poo poo.

This looks like an awesome bike for terrorizing the neighbourhood.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
That's a great looking SV1000 man. Everything looks better naked.

But me.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Spiffness posted:

Do you think he has one of those shirts which says "If you can read this, the bitch fell off the back"?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Saga posted:

Do you think he has one of those shirts which says "If you can read this, the bitch fell off the back"?

That's what he's currently writing in poo poo on his bathroom wall, naked and sobbing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

That's what he's currently writing in poo poo on his bathroom wall, naked and sobbing.

I think this is how he does everything.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Whats the deal with Jack the Smack? Ive seen the name a couple times before but I don't really know who he is.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

He was a poster who basically made all the wrong decisions pertaining to motorcycles. He'd "boast" by showing off his wheelies on populated suburban streets, make retarded comments about good riding habits, and recently started a thread on BARF about drunkenly throwing his pillion off by doing a wheelie at highway speed. At first people thought he was a troll but it turns out he's the real deal.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

He was the squid in all of us, out and proud.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

He was the squid in all of us, out and proud.

:cthulhu::hf::cthulhu:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Clank posted:

Whats the deal with Jack the Smack? Ive seen the name a couple times before but I don't really know who he is.
Everything you need to know about JtS:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=125293

It's truly hilarious reading.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Jabs posted:

Amazing.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

He was a poster who basically made all the wrong decisions pertaining to motorcycles. He'd "boast" by showing off his wheelies on populated suburban streets, make retarded comments about good riding habits, and recently started a thread on BARF about drunkenly throwing his pillion off by doing a wheelie at highway speed. At first people thought he was a troll but it turns out he's the real deal.

I think the pillion was drunk, not him. It sounded from the BARF posted that was linked to like they are made for each other.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jabs posted:

I'd never read this before, it's gold. I wish I had archives so I could see all those other threads he got banned in.

He gave me the impression that he probably tried really hard to get everyone to call him Jack the Smack IRL.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

I still hold firm that he was the best cross-forum troll ever. Eloquently planting news of his other trolls to members of the various forums he belonged to.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
I bought this 2004 Deuce in October

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 6, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Wouldn't the combination of extended forward controls and lower drag bars fold you in half like a pretzel?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Wouldn't the combination of extended forward controls and lower drag bars fold you in half like a pretzel?

I might've used the wrong nomenclature, I don't mean café-style racing bars, I just mean some bars that have one bend in them - straight back - instead of three - which are the stock bars, and which have the traditional bends - back, up, then down again.

So more like this instead of this.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah I know what drag bars are, I'm just not used to how offset the handlebars mount from the triple tree on a cruiser. On a regular standard/sportbike, having drag bars is still a pretty low setup.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

2008 ZX6R with 517 miles on it. Very excited to go from my SV650 to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

They really should have mashed the first 6k together on the tach, because it's all effectively useless ;)

Congrats on the bike!