Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

It will probably be okay as long as you were shooting negs. A third of a stop is nothing to film unless you were running slide film.

But I was shooting a white wall w/center metering so I'm thinking it underexposed it anyway. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

spog posted:

option A - create a new catalog on the first computer, add/edit the photos, then copy that catalog file to the 2nd computer and open it. it should find the duplicate RAWs and apply the edits to them.

option B - 'xmp sidecar' is the phrase you want to google (I am not familiar with the exact process)
I have this habit of keeping every shot in one catalog, because I've never learned enough to create separate catalogs for separate shoots; someday I've got to delve into that and find a smarter way of doing things. I know a fair amount about how to use lightroom for processing, but not so much about its organizational abilities.

For now, since all I care about is this one shoot (a wedding) I've created xmp files for everything; since they're so small that's the fastest way I know of switching between computers. Thanks!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

I have a stupid question.

How much of a total waste of $8 would it be for me to buy a cheapo IR filter? I've got a Pentax K10D, and I'm thinking of getting an IR filter for the kit lens, 18-55mm. Googling leads to some vague descriptions of IR-cutting glass in front of the sensor, and much talk of modifying cameras, which I do not wish to do. Will an IR filter just result in blackness and boredom, or is there a possibility I can get some interesting / fun pictures, even at 2 or 3 stops penalty?
The easiest way to test your hot mirror and see how much IR still passes through is to point a TV remote at your camera and hold a button down. You'll get a blueish white flare if a decent amount of IR passes through.

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I got assigned Annie Lebovitz to mimic as a photo project. On B&W film. No composites. I also can't light subjects individually due to my complete lack of studio lighting. Any ideas to what light I should try to take this in?
No lighting means outdoor shots.

http://www.npg.org.uk:8080/annieleibovitz/exhib.htm

You can also ghetto rig indoor lighting with a $8 few clamp-mount work lights from Home Depot, 150W bulbs, and silicone baking mats for diffusers. It gets really hot but it works.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Mannequin posted:

But I was shooting a white wall w/center metering so I'm thinking it underexposed it anyway. Oh well.

Third of a stop wouldn't have been enough anyways. Meter averages to middle gray so to get a white wall white you need to overexpose what your meter says by 2-4 whole stops depending on what value of white you want.

Learn the zone system :)

quote:

No lighting means outdoor shots.

Stretch a large sheet to some kind of wood or PVC frame and build a 4x8 V-flat for fill. Pick a good time of day and you're 90% of the way there technically.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

brad industry posted:

Stretch a large sheet to some kind of wood or PVC frame and build a 4x8 V-flat for fill. Pick a good time of day and you're 90% of the way there technically.

Dumb Question time: What are v flats and how do you use them? I googled and saw a v shaped board used to flag light. http://www.zarias.com/white-seamless-tutorial-part-1-gear-space/ here.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

brad industry posted:

Third of a stop wouldn't have been enough anyways. Meter averages to middle gray so to get a white wall white you need to overexpose what your meter says by 2-4 whole stops depending on what value of white you want.

Yeah, actually, just started reading about it. It looks interesting. Took me long enough...

brad industry
May 22, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Dumb Question time: What are v flats and how do you use them? I googled and saw a v shaped board used to flag light. http://www.zarias.com/white-seamless-tutorial-part-1-gear-space/ here.

I don't know why he is using doors as flags (WTF?) but you can buy 4'x8' sheets of foam core that are white on one side and black on the other. You tape two together to make a hinged 'V'. They have a million uses and are probably the most used thing in studio. You can use them as large fills/flags, bounce heads into them, etc. Most pro rental places carry the foam core, if not check production or film expendable houses.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

TheLastManStanding posted:

Or he could find a rock band, sit them in a green room or tour bus, get them trashed on booze and coke, and just take pictures of how wasted they get. It's what got her famous. No special lighting or composites required.

She, and this is not out of the question. I'll keep you updated.

I've got a ghetto foamcore V-flat, but it's a really huge pain to use, so I think I'm just going to do this naturally, maybe with some diffusers and that's it. I'm going to attempt one group shot of 5 people, one John and Yoko emulation, and one portrait a la Miley Cyrus, for the comedy. Then I also get to do Helen Levitt, which is considerably easier. Going to do these:

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
I haven't had a DSLR or even a compact since last year when I discovered my 400D had unrepairable fine-focusing problems. At the time I had no money to replace it so I just sold it and moved entirely to film.

Looking around Amazon.co.uk to get back into digital, and there are 3 plausible combinations that come to about the same price

• Canon 500D
  • 18-55mm kit lens
  • Canon EF 35mm f/2
  • Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
  • Nikon D5000
  • 18-55mm kit lens
  • Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
  • Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
  • Nikon D90 Body Only
  • Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
  • Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

Main uses would be available light in bar/club conditions, headshots and walkaround B&W photography. I would hope to get some good use from ISO 6400. Any perspectives from Dorkroom?

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 16, 2010

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The D5000 won't autofocus the f/1.4D lens.

Personally I think you are best off with the D90 kit you outlined. Find the cash for a used 20mm f/2.8 and you have a nice light fast kit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would opt for the D90 over the D5000 just for the sake of having a better body. What's your actual budget? You can also consider the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, which is a little more expensive than the 50mm 1.4 you're looking at. It all depends on what focal range you're happier with.

So I'd say D90 for body, the rest either what you can budget for or save up and purchase each individually as you can afford them.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tshirt Ninja posted:

She, and this is not out of the question. I'll keep you updated.

I've got a ghetto foamcore V-flat, but it's a really huge pain to use, so I think I'm just going to do this naturally, maybe with some diffusers and that's it. I'm going to attempt one group shot of 5 people, one John and Yoko emulation, and one portrait a la Miley Cyrus, for the comedy. Then I also get to do Helen Levitt, which is considerably easier. Going to do these:

Do a copy of that shot of Demi Moore preggers, but with a fat guy instead.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Thanks for the tips :)

8th-samurai posted:

The D5000 won't autofocus the f/1.4D lens.

Oops didn't realise, that's an extra £75 for the G. Why would anyone ever buy a DSLR without a focus screw then? Might as well get a bridge camera.

quote:

I would opt for the D90 over the D5000 just for the sake of having a better body. What's your actual budget? You can also consider the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, which is a little more expensive than the 50mm 1.4 you're looking at. It all depends on what focal range you're happier with.

Budget is about £900 including a memory card and a bag. The 30/1.4 is very nice, I hadn't considered that - though I would be a little nervous with Sigma of getting a 'bad copy'. I could only really afford it coupled with the 500D, so I suppose it's a trade off between wider aperture/worse high ISO performance.

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 16, 2010

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

brad industry posted:

So what zone would it fall into? VII for the wall and V for an expected 20% gray reference ?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Cross_ posted:

So what zone would it fall into? VII for the wall and V for an expected 20% gray reference ?

The wall would have been a VII and the camera would have set a shutter speed to bring it down to V. One shift in zone = 2 stops, so it would have gone down two zones or 4 stops. My 1/3 increment wouldn't have made enough difference even if I had flicked it in the correct direction.

Edit: Since it was a white wall getting a decent amount of light it might have even been at a VIII, so it's really going to be underexposed.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 16, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zegnar posted:

• Nikon D90 Body Only
  • Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
  • Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

Main uses would be available light in bar/club conditions, headshots and walkaround B&W photography. I would hope to get some good use from ISO 6400. Any perspectives from Dorkroom?
This. These days I mostly shoot with just a D90/30mm/85mm and I love it.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Mannequin posted:

One shift in zone = 2 stops, so it would have gone down two zones or 4 stops.

I was always under the impression that there were two stops between zone V and zone VII - not 4.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
one zone = one stop

one stop = twice as much light / half as much light

two zones = two stops = 4 times as much light

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Zegnar posted:

I find my D90 is OK at 3200 with the new noise reduction in LR3, but I like to stay under 2000 to be safe. I don't have a 30 yet, but I love my 35 and 85. The 85 kills for portraits.

Lensrentals.com is selling a used D90 for $550. http://www.lensrentals.com/buy/nikon-d90-serial-number-3148010

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Thanks for the advice all - I'm going for it! I have had really bad experiences with refurbished and used kit in the past so I am doing things properly and going to a Nikon accredited shop in central London.

Final shopping list

Nikon D90 Body £628
Nikon 35mm 1.8G £161
Nikon 50mm 1.8D £91
Hoya 52mm UV Filter £11 ea
Sandisk 8gb 15mb/s £12

I hope this is the right choice! It's awful nervy

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I find my D90 is OK at 3200 with the new noise reduction in LR3, but I like to stay under 2000 to be safe. I don't have a 30 yet, but I love my 35 and 85. The 85 kills for portraits.

Lensrentals.com is selling a used D90 for $550. http://www.lensrentals.com/buy/nikon-d90-serial-number-3148010

Yeah I have adjusted my expectations a bit on that front. I figure that 3200 with LR3 NR should be as usable as 800 ISO was on my old 400D though.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Skip the UV filters

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, get a hood for the 35 if it doesn't come with one (85 comes with a screw-on).

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The 35/1.8G should have a hood included in the box.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dumbass rookie question here:

When I want shots of interiors, landscapes, etc. Where exactly does the line sit between small aperture and focus point? Would I want to focus on something close by in the room/area and re-compose to the shot I want, or do I just want a small aperture and MF to infinity?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Figure out your exact situation yourself, with the power of math!

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

If your lens has distance and DOF markings around the barrel, those are awesomely handy (and you're more likely to have them with you). This describes how to use them, and includes a formula if you don't have them and are actually willing to do that while shooting. Either way and either link, read about hyperfocal distance.

I've never done math while shooting; if I've got my beautiful modern kit lens with no loving dof markers I focus on the nearest thing I want focused and stop up as high as I can :P. If I want more precise depth that's what my old primes are for.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 17, 2010

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Bought it today! It's a beauty - I think I've made the right choice so thanks everyone for the advice. I am doing without the 50mm, going to buy an 85mm instead.

I had to put an old Olympus strap on it - all I can think when I see that Nikon strap is K-ROCK/Japanese tourist.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OK I should elaborate, since I don't know what the hell is going on between the following:

1: Focus on something close, have a small aperture for huge DOF

2: Small aperture for huge DOF, but just compose how I want it and MF at infinity.

What exactly would focusing all the way there (or as close to it as possible) do differently?

network.guy
Jun 20, 2004

Can the area of focus be thought of as a sphere with the camera in the middle? So if I focus on an object and then recompose such that that object is in the corner of the image, that object would still be perfectly in focus?

edit: Just tested this and this definitely doen’t seem to be the case up close. But the focus area definitely isn’t a plane either. Could it be plane-like up close and sphere-like further away?

edit: alright question answered it seems to be plane-like all the way through.

network.guy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 17, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

OK I should elaborate, since I don't know what the hell is going on between the following:

1: Focus on something close, have a small aperture for huge DOF

2: Small aperture for huge DOF, but just compose how I want it and MF at infinity.

What exactly would focusing all the way there (or as close to it as possible) do differently?

Focusing at infinity means that near objects will almost definitely be out of focus. If doing it off the cuff, focus in front of item you want to be center of attention, and let the DOF extend thru that point and beyond. Smaller aperture makes for more forgiving guesses.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Focusing at infinity means that near objects will almost definitely be out of focus. If doing it off the cuff, focus in front of item you want to be center of attention, and let the DOF extend thru that point and beyond. Smaller aperture makes for more forgiving guesses.

Gotcha, thanks :)

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

network.guy posted:

Can the area of focus be thought of as a sphere with the camera in the middle? So if I focus on an object and then recompose such that that object is in the corner of the image, that object would still be perfectly in focus?

edit: Just tested this and this definitely doen’t seem to be the case up close. But the focus area definitely isn’t a plane either. Could it be plane-like up close and sphere-like further away?

edit: alright question answered it seems to be plane-like all the way through.

The plane of focus is a spherical surface equidistant from the imaging surface (which will be marked on your camera with a Φ). The sphere has a large radius (of the focusing distance), so its curvature is very small and it is approximately flat for the field of view of a standard lens. In theory.

Edit: For a standard 50mm lens on full frame (or equivalent), photographing a flat canvas 2 metres from the camera, the focal point will be 10-20 centimetres closer than the canvas at the frame edges

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 17, 2010

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Zegnar posted:

The plane of focus is a spherical surface equidistant from the imaging surface (which will be marked on your camera with a Φ). The sphere has a large radius (of the focusing distance), so its curvature is very small and it is approximately flat for the field of view of a standard lens. In theory.

Edit: For a standard 50mm lens on full frame (or equivalent), photographing a flat canvas 2 metres from the camera, the focal point will be 10-20 centimetres closer than the canvas at the frame edges
Nope. They call it a focal plane for a reason. If the canvas is parallel to the focal plane and you focus on the center of it then all of the canvas will be in focus. If you have trouble visualizing why this is you can actually draw it out: The corners of the canvas will be further away from the lens, but so will the corners of the film plane and by the law of similar triangles they will hold the same ratio to the center distances. This is how large format cameras can manipulate focus (ie. tilt shift).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zegnar posted:

This is so wrong :(

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Too much physics and not enough photography :( Of course the imaging surface is just that, not a point. I take it all back!

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Will I be able to take a photo backpack and a small shoulder bag on an international flight as carry on? I've heard mixed responses about what they consider photo gear as.

I might just ring thai airways as their website has nothing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fists Up posted:

Will I be able to take a photo backpack and a small shoulder bag on an international flight as carry on? I've heard mixed responses about what they consider photo gear as.

Officially, most airlines state you're allowed a single carry-on, they don't care about the contents. In practice they seem to not mind as long as your stuff fits under the seat in front of you. They get a little more pissy during the holidays because everyone is trying to bend the rules.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
You can take any electronics you want, but you'll have to take them out of the bag or have them showing so make sure you pack them in an accessible way.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Fists Up posted:

Yes. It's like when women carry a purse and a carry on. I have personally traveled with a backpack and my camera bag internationally and within us many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

While we're on the subject, anyone have any problems with tripods? I'm going to Cancun tomorrow and I haven't flown internationally since 2002.