Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

knees of putty posted:

10. Raging Bull. On the shelf, but for some reason I’ve never been able to watch hours of De Niro beating the poo poo out of everyone around him.

This is a great movie and as far as I'm concerned one of the greatest American movies ever made, so I choose this for you. Enjoy.

Finished The General, and was very impressed by it. I don't think I like Keaton as much as I like Chaplin, but the stunts in this film are terrific and I was laughing throughout most of the movie. Not sure I'd call it the greatest comedy ever made like some might, but it's drat good.

Updated list:

1. La Dolce Vita- I haven’t seen enough Fellini

2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. Red River- See # 2

4. The Big Parade- See # 2

5. Grave of the Fireflies- I’m afraid I might shoot myself after watching it, but I want to see it nonetheless.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

8. Swimming to Cambodia- I like me some Jonathan Demme and own this on video but haven’t watched it yet.

9. The Kingdom- I've seen Dogville but I'm otherwise inexperienced with von Trier. I have it on video and I've started it, but...

10. Sherlock, Jr.- Here’s another Buster Keaton I haven’t seen that’s probably hilarious.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

meanmikhail posted:

5. Grave of the Fireflies- I’m afraid I might shoot myself after watching it, but I want to see it nonetheless.

I'm not sure what you mean by "shoot yourself" but I think the movie is worth watching, if only once... so your next movie is Grave of the Fireflies.

Watched Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey last night and holy crap, that movie is terrible. It wasn't funny in the slightest and felt much, much longer than its 90 minute running time. With the exception of the iconic Death and Board Game scene, there's absolutely nothing worth remembering from this dud... and what the hell was that Station character? Just terrible. 3/10

1. The Godfather - Started watching it and that loving wedding (or whatever) scene went on for like half an hour. I was done, son... no reason to revisit it again since.
2. Annie Hall - I've been told that I will love this, but I just haven't gotten the motivation to check it out... I've only seen three Allen movies: Sleeper, Celebrity, and Match Point (the only one I actually enjoyed).
3. 2046 - I ADORE WONG KAR-WAI, but I tried to watch this movie and fell instantly asleep. Same goes for Days of Being Wild.
4. Last Year at Marienbad - Looks boring as gently caress, told I may enjoy it.
5. The City of Lost Children - 6.5/10
6. The Saragossa Manuscript - Is there really a reason for anyone to see this? I hear it's over three hours long... not sure if that's three hours in a good way (Seven Samurai) or three hours in a bad way (Solaris).
7. Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey - 3/10
8. Jacob's Ladder - I don't really like scary movies. This movie is scary, right? [note: I did like The Jacket]
9. Lust, Caution - What, what?? In da butt! (this is all I know about this movie)
10. M - I love noir, but I'm wary of German cinema... make me a believer!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Edit. nm

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

zenintrude, you get to watch M.

I finally, FINALLY sat down and watched Ikiru and it’s pretty amazing how it straddles the line between depressing and uplifting. I really enjoyed it along with its great cinematography.
9.1/10

My Shameful List:

1. A Fistful of Dollars – Love Sergio Leone. Love Yojimbo. Seems like a no-brainer…

2. The Rules of the Game – I’m going down the TSPDT list and this is right after Vertigo, I don't know much about it though.

3. 8 ½ - I've never watched a single Fellini film and I’ve recently bought the BluRay at the insistence of a friend with usually questionable tastes in film.

4. Tokyo Story – An other unseen film from the TSPDT list.

5. Ingmar Bergman – I’ve seen The Seventh Seal and The Virgin Spring. I need to see more of his stuff.

6. O Brother, Where Art Thou? – I really dig the Coen Brothers and I’ve heard lots of good things about this one

7. Rear Window – I need to watch more Hitchcock.

8. The Shawshank Redemption – IMDB loves this movie, I should see what the fuss is all about.

9. The Searchers – An other unseen film from the TSPDT list.

10. The Conformist – Criticker says I’ll give it a 100, might as well check it out.

Watched: Raging Bull – 9.8, The New World – 9.4, Pan’s Labyrinth – 9.5, Barry Lyndon – 9.0, The Trial – 9.6, Amadeus – 9.7, M – 9.3, Vertigo – 9.4, Ikiru – 9.1

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Nroo posted:

4. Tokyo Story – An other unseen film from the TSPDT list.

This is a beautiful movie and you're going to watch it.

Watched Grave of the Fireflies. Bawled my eyes out. To clarify an earlier post, I said I was afraid I would end up shooting myself because I expected something gut-wrenchingly, viscerally depressing like Requiem for a Dream, a great movie which I look forward to never seeing again. This isn't like that. It's a movie full of incredible beauty and delicacy. It's not an easy watch, but it's an essential one. The film is an unflinchingly honest look at how a brother/sister relationship might look in a situation of incredible desperation. I understand that the writer wrote it as a way to deal with his failure to save his sister in a similar situation. It shows. This is a great movie. I strongly, strongly urge anyone in this thread who hasn't seen it to see it.

Updated list:

3. Red River- See # 2

5. The Adventures of Robin Hood- I’ve heard that it’s as fun as movies get.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

8. Swimming to Cambodia- I like me some Jonathan Demme and own this on video but haven’t watched it yet.

9. The Kingdom- I've seen Dogville but I'm otherwise inexperienced with von Trier. I have it on video and I've started it, but...

10. Sherlock, Jr.- Here’s another Buster Keaton I haven’t seen that’s probably hilarious.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
I choose

meanmikhail posted:

3. Red River- See # 2

for you. I've not seen any of your films, but even a bad western has something to say.

So for me, Raging Bull seen and replaced with Rules of the Game, Jean Renoir.

Raging Bull captured me from the first moment. The credits show an animal, lean and hungry, caged by the ropes of a boxing ring. Progressively this animal is unleashed upon his wife, his second wife, his family and finally upon himself, in an ever decreasing circle of male neurosis, self-pity and jealousy. Outstanding.

My list is

1. Wild Strawberries Never seen a Bergman

2. King Kong The original monster flick.

3. Johnny Guitar My experience of Western is really Wayne plus post-Wild Bunch.

4. Eight and a half. I’m interested in watching Italian neo-realism, but figured that I should start by watching Fellini’s most well known piece.

5. Pickpocket. French cinema is pretty cool.

6. Tokyo Story. Because I should.

7. Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

8. Last year at marianbad. The start of the nouveau vague must be good, right?

9. Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

10. Rules of the Game Early classic.

knees of putty fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 16, 2010

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
knees of putty - you get Wild Strawberries. Everyone should watch Bergman.

I finally got around to watching The Godfather. I don't think there's really anything I can say about it that hasn't been said before. I mean, it's The Godfather. One thing that did bother me is how badly women are treated in the movie. I get the feeling that it was a form of commentary though, so I don't think I can necessarily fault the movie for that.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line
The Haunting - I've seen a few Wise films and this one's pretty well regarded, plus it fits the whole horror film criteria I've got going.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation
Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek
Rosemary's Baby
Destiny - old Lang silent I've been meaning to see for a few years. It's on Netflix Instant, though, so I can finally get around to it.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game
Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita
Through a Glass Darkly
Even Dwarfs Started Small
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II - Welp, seems like the obvious next step here.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or
Bride of Frankenstein
The Brood - I love Cronenberg but this one has eluded me so far.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010

dotCommunism posted:

The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one
I'm in the same boat, so you should check it out.

Toy Story 2 was about exactly what I expected: a fun Pixar adventure. I haven't seen the first one for a long time so I can't compare it. The "bloopers" at the end were great. 3.5/5.

1. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu:
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.

2. Toy Story 2:
2. Sherman's March
I've heard good things, and I love documentaries, but there's always been something else to watch instead.

3. Lawrence of Arabia
3. His Girl Friday
I've owned this for a long time, but just never had the inclination to watch it.

4. M:
Peter Lorre is always interesting to listen to.

5. Lost Highway:
I love Mulholland Drive, but I've heard that this isn't nearly as good.

6. Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?

7. Downfall:
Just haven't gotten around to it.

8. The Battle of Algiers
8. A Shot in the Dark:
I didn't like The Pink Panther, but I've heard that this is much, much better.

9. La Dolce Vita
I like 8 1/2, but I'm not sure if this would be worth the running time.

10. Europa:
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

knees of putty posted:

So for me, Raging Bull seen and replaced with Rules of the Game, Jean Renoir.

Great, but part of the thread is giving a short critique on the film and whether or not you liked it and why. It doesn't have to be epically long or detailed, just a few sentences.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Great, but part of the thread is giving a short critique on the film and whether or not you liked it and why. It doesn't have to be epically long or detailed, just a few sentences.

Ah, OK. I didn't feel that a one liner would do it justice and was going to pop something in the review thread, but I'll add something here instead.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
TenSpadesBeTrump, let's go with Sherman's March

I loved every minute of Le Samourai. Alain Delon maybe the coolest person to have ever lived. Just everything he does is so smooth. I was riveted throughout, some nice tense moments as well. A great movie.

1) Dracula (Legosi)- haven't seen many of the universal Monsters and I should start
2) Dog Day Afternoon- I hear that this may be Pacino's best work
3) 8 1/2- gotta start somewhere with Fellini
4) Le Cercle Rouge- supposed to be one of the finest heist films made
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Vertigo- tightening up my Hitchcock faults
9) Double Indemnity- I should have seen this by now
10) She Wore A Yellow Ribbon- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Mistletoe Donkey, watch Vertigo because it's the best.

Adaptation was terrific. It was ridiculous, hilarious at times, and at other times more ridiculous. Out of the (now) three films that I don't mind Nicolas Cage in, this is the only one where he's able to transcend Nic Cage at least a little, especially as Donald. The film is ridiculous in the best way, and almost definitely my favorite of Charlie Kaufman/Spike Jonze's work. Again, ridiculous. 4/5

1. Requiem for a Dream - I need to see more of the recent "classics"

2. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Should really get to this eventually

3. Spartacus - One of the last Kubrick films I haven't seen

4. Hiroshima Mon Amour - I need to see Resnais; I seem to love French films

5. Masculin, féminin - Love Godard, this is a random one I haven't seen

6. Sullivan's Travels - I love Preston Sturges. Or can I not say that because I haven't seen this?

7. Touch of Evil - Orson Welles! He's not bad.

8. Notorious - I'm definitely a Hitchcock fan/I'm definitely a Cary Grant fan

9. Boogie Nights - I guess I'm just really bad with films after 1990

10. Easy Rider - Really should have seen this by now

Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3.5/5; Adaptation - 4/5

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
PDMChubby, Sullivan's Travels is your next viewing. Preston Sturges owns.

Anyway, This is Spinal Tap was kind of amusing, especially for Christopher Guest and Michael McKean totally slipping into their characters. But I dunno, it just didn't grab me like I expected it to. I guess my expectations are a little skewed because I've seen Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, and A Mighty Wind, and I expected something a bit closer to that. Three stars out of five

*A Clockwork Orange - Uh, weirdly, I actually bought this for five bucks at a used Movie/Music/Video Games store, six months ago. But I've been kind of leery of watching it because I really don't like watching rape on film. It just makes me feel unclean.

*8 1/2 - really no excuse for this. I've seen four Fellini films (La Strada, Nights of Cabiria, La Dolce Vita, and Amarcord), and loved all of them. I just have a weird thing about foreign films where, unless they have action or comedy, it seems like homework to watch them. I feel tremendously guilty about this impulse.

*Singin' in the Rain - I've seen clips from it, enough that I feel like I've seen the whole thing, but...I'm pretty sure I haven't. Which is weird, because Gene Kelly is one of my favorite actors ever.

*Apocalypse Now - I watched part of it on cable on vacation in a hotel room when I was young, and then my parents made me change the channel. Ever since, I've felt like I'm doing something wrong every time I make an attempt to watch it, so I don't.

* The Seventh Seal.
Tokyo Story - Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm always weirdly wary about getting bored by foreign films with no action scenes.

*Jaws - uh, I have no idea why I've never seen it, guess I've just never said to myself "you know what movie I absolutely have to watch right now? Jaws, man."

*Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs - I own this as well, for some reason. I have no idea why I haven't watched it yet.

*Unforgiven
This is Spinal Tap
Contempt - Recently watched Breathless and loved it, so I'm thinking I might like early Godard.

*The 39 Steps - Being a huge Hitchcock fan, I'm guilty about not having seen this already.

*Eraserhead - well, I've always heard it was kind of squicky.

Watch list: The Seventh Seal, Unforgiven, Pulp Fiction, This is Spinal Tap

Spatula City fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 17, 2010

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Spatula City, your homework assignment is watching 8 1/2.

I watched It Happened one Night. I can't say it grabbed me as much as a lot of screwball comedies I've seen -- I understand it was one of the first, but I prefer ones where the dialogue is a little more fast-paced and witty. Still, I understand why it's a classic romantic comedy and Gable is really good.

My list:

New list:

1. The Holy Mountain - Already have this downloaded and it looks visually amazing.
2. Cinema paradiso - don't know anything about it other than it's rated quite high on IMDB
3. All About Eve - It's on every best-of list.
4. Rebecca - one of the major Hitch films I haven't seen
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds intriguingly abstract.
6. The Philadelphia Story - Stewart, Grant & Hepburn, how could it be bad?
7. Repulsion - always wanted to see this. Catherine Deneuve.
8. Germany, Year Zero - I clicked on a random page on TSPTD and saw this and realized I've never seen a Rossellini film.
9. Viridiana - I have not really enjoyed any Bunuel film i've seen but i'll keep trying him, as a fan of surrealism in general.
10. Le Samourai - has supposedly influenced a lot of movies i enjoy.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven, The Best Years of our Lives, High & Low, It Happened one Night

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Arturo Ui posted:

10. Le Samourai - has supposedly influenced a lot of movies i enjoy.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven, The Best Years of our Lives, High & Low, It Happened one Night

I'm on a Melville kick right now, and Le Samourai is a lot of fun.

My list:

1.) Fantomas- I'm not familiar with this era of silent serials, and there's a new set of these out. I love Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse so the genesis of that sort of criminal mastermind genre is also interesting to me.

2.) Sweet Movie- I like Makavejev but I'm sort of squeamish about scatological imagery. I've been putting this one off for sort of a long time.

3.) If...- I was talking to a friend of mine about the difficulties of adapting a Brechtian aesthetic to film and he brought up Lindsay Anderson. I don't think I've seen anything he did except maybe Look Back In Anger.

4.) Cria Cuevos- I really liked Ana Torrent in The Spirit of the Beehive. I've heard good things about this too, and Spanish film is kind of a lacunae in my education.

5.) Short Cuts- Actually anything by Robert Altman. I love Raymond Carver, but not necessarily enough to sit and stare at his whole business for three hours.

6.) Late Spring- I just recently have begun getting familiar with Ozu. I still find his style sort of forbiddingly austere, but I want to keep exploring.

7. Z- Or any Costa-Gavras. Army of Shadows sort of put me in the mood for political thrillers.

8. Paris Texas- The only Wim Wenders movie I've seen is Wings of Desire. I actually have a copy of Paris Texas sitting around that I've never gotten around to. Like Short Cuts, I think I'm just put off by the length.

9. Joan of Arc- I like Dreyer, I like Vivre Sa Vie, but this always looked like kind of a drag.

10. Beauty and the Beast- Actually I haven't ever seen a Cocteau movie. I'm most intrigued by the Orphic Trilogy but B&B seems like a better place to start.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Archyduke posted:

8. Paris Texas- The only Wim Wenders movie I've seen is Wings of Desire. I actually have a copy of Paris Texas sitting around that I've never gotten around to. Like Short Cuts, I think I'm just put off by the length.

Haven't seen anything on your list, but if you do have a copy of this already then you might as well watch it.

I watched Diabolique and it was a great thriller. The movie builds up tension really well and the last 10 minutes are spectacularly creepy. Whether Hitchcock himself could have made it a better movie, I don't know. It doesn't really matter because this version is very good.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. Dirty Harry - I have no idea how I have not seen this.

6. Mulholland Dr. - The only Lynch movie I have seen is Blue Velvet, which I loved. Not sure why I haven't seen any of his other films.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

8. The 39 Steps - I want to see more Hitchcock.

9. M - It has a very compact title, doesn't it?

10. Pickpocket - Another French movie that I don't know much about.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Atheistdeals.com posted:

6. Mulholland Dr. - The only Lynch movie I have seen is Blue Velvet, which I loved. Not sure why I haven't seen any of his other films.

It was between that and Dirty Harry (since those were the only two I've seen off your list) and I enjoyed Mulholland Dr. much more.

My assignment was The Man With No Name Trilogy. I watched A Fistful Of Dollars (in Italian) yesterday morning, For A Few More Dollars (in English) yesterday evening and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (in English - Extended Cut) this afternoon. I enjoyed all of them despite not being a big Western fan. A Fistful Of Dollars had more humor than I was expecting. I had a little trouble following the story but I think that was because of the speed of certain subtitles (although I am glad I watched it in Italian). For A Few More Dollars was my favorite. I loved the story. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly disappointed me. It felt extremely bloated and I couldn't disconnect from what had happened in the previous movie (mainly with Lee Van Cleef's character). I was surprised to read that people liked it so much more than For A Few More Dollars. Rated on Criticker; A Fistful Of Dollars - 79/100, For A Few More Dollars - 80/100, The Good The Bad And The Ugly - 79/100

My list:

The Seven Samurai: I rented this one from Blockbuster Online a few years ago. Tried to watch it at 3 in the morning and fell asleep. Thought the picture looked lovely and I decided to wait for the HD-DVD Blu-Ray instead of holding up one of my BBO slots to watch the movie later.

City Lights: I have never watched a Chaplin movie and I have heard this is his best.

8 1/2: Mix the reasons for The Seven Samurai/The Seventh Seal (It sounds lovely but "deep" movies tend to intimidate me before I force myself to sit through them.) together and you'll have the reason why I haven't watched 8 1/2 yet.

Metropolis Restored: I'm 0-2 when it comes to silent films (fell asleep twice during Nosferatu and once during The General). I've heard a ton of good things about this one and Netflix has it available for streaming in HD.

Once Upon A Time In The West: For some reason I have clumped this movie in with the Man With No Name Trilogy in my mind. I was waiting to watch those before I watched this.

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: I'm a loving idiot. Everybody kept asking me about these movies when they first came out and how I must like them since I'm nerdy looking they are fantasy. So I avoided them out of spite.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God: I went through a big Herzog kick a few years ago but stopped before I watched this movie. Why I didn't watch Aguirre before his remake of Nosferatu is beyond me.

Lawrence of Arabia: Waiting for the Blu-Ray but I do have a HD copy on my DVR.

Barry Lyndon: One of the few Kubrick movies I have left to watch. I'm intrigued since he used only natural light when he filmed it but I've never tried to track it down. (And I do have a Netflix account so I can watch it in HD)

Solaris: I haven't seen any Andrei Tarkovsky yet.

Woodstock: No excuse for this one. I own it on Blu-Ray, I've watched some of the song outtakes but I've never sat down and watched the whole thing. The runtime always make me grab a different movie over this one.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, The Man With No Name Trilogy

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 18, 2010

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Sporadic, i give you Once Upon A Time In The West, my favorite movie I've watched for this thread

Vertigo was just excellent. It was good to see Jimmy Stewart in a different (creepy obsessive) kind of role. Hitchcock was great at usual, but my favorite part was the Bernard Hermann score. It ratcheted up the tension by a thousand and was perfect for every scene.

1) Dracula (Legosi)- haven't seen many of the universal Monsters and I should start
2) Dog Day Afternoon- I hear that this may be Pacino's best work
3) 8 1/2- gotta start somewhere with Fellini
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Singin' In the Rain- it never really piqued my interest but I keep hearing how good it is
9) Double Indemnity- I should have seen this by now
10) She Wore A Yellow Ribbon- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

It is, so watch it.

Finished Red River, really enjoyed it. I don't think it's quite as good as Hawks' Rio Bravo, but it's a well cast, well directed movie with some great performances from John Wayne and Montgomery Clift. Walter Brennan is as fun as ever, too.

Updated list:

3. Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

meanmikhail posted:

Literally, one of my top ten movies ever made. So watch that!

1. The King of Comedy - I love Scorsese, but this gem has always eluded me.

2. City of God - I don't actually know all that much about it, other than apparently: GRITTY.

3. Grave of the Fireflies - I love Studio Ghibli, but I've heard that SAD!

4. The Kid - Not the Disney one, the Charlie Chaplin one. I love the man, but I haven't really seen a lot of his works.

5. Umberto D. - The only De Sica film I've seen is Bicycle Thieves and I love it. In fact, I really haven't seen all that many Italian Neorealist films at all.

6. Run Lola Run - I know nothing about this film. My guess is it has something to do with a girl named Lola running.

7. Stalker - I actually haven't seen any Tarkovsky.

8. Irreversible - RAAAAAAAAPE!!

9. Glengarry Glen Ross - I've only seen that once scene with Alec Baldwin. I love Mamet. What is wrong with me?

10. Peeping Tom - Apparently very controversial and I like Michael Powell, but I've only seen The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus, which were both co-directed with Emeric Pressburger.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

azechiel posted:

8. Irreversible - RAAAAAAAAPE!!

There's alot of great stuff on your list but I'm gonna pick this just because I want to hear your reaction.

The Sting was alright but I was a bit let down by it. I think I kind of went in expecting that everything was gonna be part of the con and it was so there wasn't really any surprises in the film, despite the fact that I didn't know the plot at all. It's not really the movie's fault but it didn't blow me away like I hoped. Still the acting was fantastic and it was still very enjoyable. 7/10

anyways
1) The Searcher: I am not really into westerns and honestly never heard of this until I saw it brought up in CinD.
2) Schindler's List: It seems like I really should not just go into this film all willy nilly. Still, I really feel I should watch it.
3) The French Connection: I started watching this and just sort of lost interest early on. I'm willing to give it another try though
4) Solaris 10/10
4) 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days: I actually really want to watch it but I'm expecting it to be brutal and that's kept me from actually going through with it.
5) Raging Bull: I also started watching this and sort of lost interest. Really feel I should give it another try.
6) Sex, Lies, and Videotape 8/10
6) Fanny and Alexander: I have only seen two Bergman films. This needs to be remedied immediately.
7) Cool Hand Luke 9/10
7) The Bicycle Thief 6/10
7) Amadeus: I saw half of this in music class in high school and it was really good but I've never got around to seeing the rest and I don't know why.
8) 8 1/2: Like most of these, it's a long and intimidating movie that I've really meant to get around to seeing.
9) Stalker: I know nothing about this other than this forum seems to like it, so why the hell not?
10) The Sting 7/10
10) Wings of Desire: I was some of this but was not really in the mood to see it. This is not a movie you want sprung on you at a time you weren't really in the mood for one.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

AxeBraid posted:

9) Stalker: I know nothing about this other than this forum seems to like it, so why the hell not?

Watch Stalker.
I enjoyed it, didn't think I would but something about it that I can't put my finger on made it enjoyable.

My Shameful Listtm.

1.Vertigo - Looking through this thread and thinking about it, I had seen Hitchcock movies on tv years ago on some classic movie channel. Loved them all but it seems I'd missed this one.
2.Citizen Kane - The 'Rose Bud' twist had been spoiled long before I knew about the movie and I had seen a parody done by Tiny Toons and thought the movie was ruined for me. Maybe I'm wrong?
3.The Third Man - Parts of this have been spoiled too. Hope it's still good when I get around to watching it.
4.Solaris - Saw the remake, always wanted to but never got around to looking up the original.
5.Aguirre: The Wrath of God - My dad actually recommended this one to me a long time ago. I should get around to seeing it sometime before he dies or whatever.
6.Casa Blanca - Pretty much the same reasons as #2.
7.Eyes Wide Shut - Love Kubrick, think this is the only movie of his I haven't seen.
8.Taxi Driver - "You talin' to me? You talkin' to me!?" always wanted to watch this but :effort:
9.This is Spinal Tap - Friend of mine from high school had this but we never got around to watching it.
10.A Fist Full of Dollars/A Few Dollars More - Always loved 'The Good the Bad and the Ugly, never knew it was part of a trilogy till a year or two ago.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

6.Casa Blanca - Pretty much the same reasons as #2.

MariusLecter you get Casablanca.

So, two months ago I was told to go watch Breathless and I did. I managed to watch a lot of movies between now and then but apparently didn't really knock many off my list here and now I've got a bit more free time so I'm back.

As for Breathless, it was a really fun film. Great style and easy to look back on it and see how much of an influence it has had. I actually did a double feature that night and right after watched Days of Heaven which I knew very little about. It turned out to be kind of a funny coincidence as it was a very good pairing and then later browsing IMDB I saw that Richard Gere starred in a remake of Breathless in the early 80s.

Updated list:

L'Age D'Or - I've seen quite a bit of Bunuel, but not this. Caught Un Chien Andalou on Netflix Instant the other day and enjoyed it so this made the list.

The Third Man - I have the Criterion bluray. Started watching it once but got interrupted.

Wild Strawberries - I need more Bergman in my life.

8 1/2 - Bluray on my shelf, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Faces - Having only seen A Woman Under the Influence, I'm interested in watching more Cassavetes

Hoop Dreams - I should keep a slot on here for documentaries and this one was first on my netflix queue.

Battleship Potemkin - I need to watch more silents.

Ikiru - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen this one yet. It's been recommended to me many times.

A Woman is a Woman - More Godard, this one's been on the Netflix queue forever.

The Trial - Haven't seen too much of Welles and this one really interests me as I've read the book.

Finally Watched: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Raging Bull, Ben-Hur(1959), Taxi Driver, Andrei Rublev, Breathless

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

FancyMike posted:

MariusLecter you get Casablanca.

8 1/2 - Bluray on my shelf, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Tough, because you have so many of my favorite movies on your list, but 8 1/2 is absolutely revelatory.

I just finished watching Paris, Texas. One of my complaints about Wings of Desire was that it insisted on speaking when silence was sufficient. In particular, the narration was often embarrassing. I was pleased that Paris, Texas used silence so well. I was also surprised and moved that a movie that could do so much so well without words could produce such intensely sad moments of language. I think the first meeting between Travis and Jane was one of the most heartbreaking and hard-to-watch scenes I've ever watched, and both of their later monologues were excellent. So much of this movie, visually, is going to stick with me. The gorgeous desert photography, the way cityscapes were shot as background, and of course Harry Dean Stanton's face. Just such a good movie.

I also watched If..., just because the opportunity arose. I didn't see the Brecht in it-- not that it was close to its characters, per se, but it had too much empathy towards them, and sort of let them behave too naturalistically. I of course feel kind of silly describing If... as naturalistic but I hope you can kind of see my point in the comparison. It was angry and driven, but it wasn't that self-consciously didactic, it was a strange vision but not a fable. I think the final scene has a whole complex of associations now that it didn't in 1968, but I can't really hold Lindsay Anderson accountable for that. I wish I could have seen this back when it was an article of the present. It's aged well but, I don't know, it doesn't seem like a movie that has pretensions of doing so.

My revised list:

1.) Fantomas- I'm not familiar with this era of silent serials, and there's a new set of these out. I love Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse so the genesis of that sort of criminal mastermind genre is also interesting to me.

2.) Sweet Movie- I like Makavejev but I'm sort of squeamish about scatological imagery. I've been putting this one off for sort of a long time.

3.) Cria Cuevos- I really liked Ana Torrent in The Spirit of the Beehive. I've heard good things about this too, and Spanish film is kind of a lacunae in my education.

4.) Short Cuts- Actually anything by Robert Altman. I love Raymond Carver, but not necessarily enough to sit and stare at his whole business for three hours.

5.) Late Spring- I just recently have begun getting familiar with Ozu. I still find his style sort of forbiddingly austere, but I want to keep exploring.

6.) Z- Or any Costa-Gavras. Army of Shadows sort of put me in the mood for political thrillers.

7.) Joan of Arc- I like Dreyer, I like Vivre Sa Vie, but this always looked like kind of a drag.

8.) Beauty and the Beast- Actually I haven't ever seen a Cocteau movie. I'm most intrigued by the Orphic Trilogy but B&B seems like a better place to start.

9.) Chungking Express- Haven't seen anything by Wong Kar-Wai. I've heard good things about it, though.

10.) The Earrings of Madame de...- I've just never seen anything by Max Ophuls. I recall reading about him in one of Pauline Kael's books. Sounds like somebody I should know, I guess.

Watched: If..., Paris, Texas

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 19, 2010

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

Archyduke posted:

9.) Chungking Express- Haven't seen anything by Wong Kar-Wai. I've heard good things about it, though.

This is a good one. Watch it.

Finished Koyaanisqatski. Not entirely sure what to make of it. It looks fantastic, no doubt, and Phillip Glass' score is terrfic (it actually reminds me of Pink Floyd), but I can't say I'll watch it again anytime soon. I suppose I'm shackled to the concept of story.

Updated list:

2. American Graffiti- I should probably see a non-Star Wars Lucas film.

4. The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

meanmikhail posted:

2. American Graffiti- I should probably see a non-Star Wars Lucas film.

Now it's my turn to select for you. Only one I've seen on your list. But I liked it.

City Lights - I didn't like the first 1/3 of the movie but it got better. My favorite aspect was the rich friend who liked the tramp when drunk but then threw him out over and over while sober.

New IMDb List:

#20 Toy Story 3 The final frontier. This is now on DVD and is the only one I haven't seen in the top 50. I saw the first two in theaters and liked both of them. I also recall watching the first one again in high school on a big screen in a computer art class. There were a lot of naysayers saying "not this stupid kids movie" but by the end everyone was into it.

#73 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#78 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#89 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once.

#96 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#102 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

#106 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie?

#107 Oldboy - I've seen music clips of this on youtube but that is all.

#112 Slumdog Millionaire - Seems to be lauded. Plot really didn't pique my interest.

#113 Hotel Rwanda - Another one I didn't get around to watching.

greenTYPEWRITERS
Nov 5, 2010

by T. Finn

Zogo posted:

#107 Oldboy - I've seen music clips of this on youtube but that is all.

I select this one for you to watch next.. great film but what I consider to be far too many people's Holy Grail of cinema.
Entering this thread for the first time so nothing to review yet.

1| The Lives of Others - Friend lended it to me so it would be easy to watch.
2| The Hudsucker Proxy - ibid.
3| Fallen Angels - LOVED Chungking Express.. haven't got around to this yet.
4| Once Upon a Time in the West - I know.. I know..
5| 12 Angry Men - Heard tons about it bu that's it.
6| The Notebook - Never got around to it/didn't have a girlfriend at the time.
7| Unforgiven - Never had a cowboy phase.
8| Ed Wood - Never got around to it.
9| Before Sunrise - "" ""
10| The Secret In Their Eyes - Suprised me by beating out The White Ribbon and The Prophet at the Oscars last year.

What have you?

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Once Upon a Time in the West will certainly put you into a cowboy phase.

Just finished Rio Bravo and liked it well enough. I've never been a big John Wayne fan, but I love Howard Hawks, and I thought the supporting cast was great. I also loved the humor of it and the use of music, though the singing scene seemed like it was there only because of Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson and it took me out of the movie a little bit. The ending was a little too clean for me and I didn't like the fact that they just ended with 'Oh, the marshal will be here in a few days, they'll be fine in the jail.' It seemed rather anti-climactic. All in all I did enjoy myself, but I still prefer a grittier western.

New List:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

La Dolce Vita Fellini is becoming one of my favorite directors.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Wild Strawberries I know absolutely nothing about either of these except that they are Bergman films.

North by Northwest I've seen parts of this before, and know the basic story.

The Apartment I'm a fan of most of the people involved in this one, not sure why I haven't watched it yet.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

tokillthesunflower posted:

Wild Strawberries I know absolutely nothing about either of these except that they are Bergman films.

I had to watch this from this thread and I loved it, I hope you do to.

I watched Mulholland Drive last night and while I didn't quite grasp everything that was going on, I still had a blast watching it. This film just oozes tension and dread while also being funny at times, and I thought the romance between Betty/Rita was done really well. I was most impressed with the cliched dream/fantasy twist, it worked out brilliantly and the ending was great. The only complaint that I can think of is that some minor characters like the detective played by Robert Forster and the Cowboy don't really do much.

I'm going to watch this again very soon. So far this might be my favorite movie that I've seen from this thread. Of course, watching this late at night was a bad idea. I had a nightmare where I was trapped in an evil Los Angeles hellscape. That was less fun.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. Dirty Harry - I have no idea how I have not seen this.

6. Boogie Nights - Supposed to be a great Scorseseish movie, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

8. The 39 Steps - I want to see more Hitchcock.

9. M - It has a very compact title, doesn't it?

10. Pickpocket - Another French movie that I don't know much about.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Atheistdeals.com, you get The 39 Steps! It bloody makes me happy thinking of that film & I hope it'll do the same for you after you watch it.

Sullivan's Travels is a strange one, large swathes of it I really disliked but every piece of satire & self-reference was just great - especially the line "There's always a girl in the picture. What's the matter, don't you go to the movies? " shortly after introducing the insanely attractive Veronica Lake as the co-star for no apparent reason. I didn't really like Sullivan even though he reminded me of the Pulp song 'Common People' & an Alan Partridge line "I want to understand mans inhumanity to man... and then make a TV programme about it" - he talked like an rear end in a top hat & he didn't really learn anything about poverty because it felt like he was never in any position of danger. I also found the apparent point of the film pretty patronising, that poor people don't want to see films with any real substance & just want to sit around hollering & laughing at Disney cartoons. There's a decent point in there somewhere - that sometimes people just want a little light relief - but that's for all types of people, whether rich or poor so the film comes across as insensitive & ill-thought out, for me. There's also some pretty cruel lines said about people in poverty which a light is never shone on to disprove, every happy thing that happens in the film is due to Sullivan's riches or a contrived piece of hard-to-believe kindness driving the plot on to a happy ending but hey, that's the point of the film! Basically I saw this film as an argument for your Adam Sandler type movies of today, which is fitting because I really could see him starring in the remake... which I wouldn't bother seeing because it wouldn't have Veronica Lake in it! *rubs thighs*

Also, thanks for the heads up from the guy who said this was nothing like Grapes of Wrath - without that warning I probably would have sat with a big unhappy face all the way through!

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
I've recently become really interested in early-cinema and although I don't have the patience to deal with Birth of a Nation I realise that D.W. Griffith was pretty important to the development of cinema and would like to see at least one of his films, Intolerance seems to have a message which is the polar opposite of Birth of a Nation so it seems to be a natural choice.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
I like the synopsis of the story and want to see as much Lang as I can.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
Until very recently I had this and Casablanca lumped into the same "old romantic film I don't really need to see" box in my head - after watching the greatness that is Casablanca I fear that this may not actually be worth my time. It's like the Danny DeVito to the Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins... or is it?

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

12. Un Chien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog) (1929, Luis Buñuel)
I became aware of it a few years ago when I was looking back at milestone moments in horror & the eye-cutting scene is still with me, iconic. I'd like to experience the whole film though.

14. Bronenosets Potyomkin (Battleship Potemkin) (1925, Sergei M. Eisenstein)
I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy it if what I read is correct but I'm more than willing to give it a chance considering how highly regarded it is.

15. Shadow of a Doubt (1943, Alfred Hitchcock)
I mean to watch every Hitchcock film.

16. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927, F.W. Murnau)
I've only ever seen Nosferatu from Murnau but I'm well aware that he is considered as one of cinemas greatest directors & it seems like this is the obvious choice to see some more of his work.

18. The Public Enemy (1931, William A. Wellman)
I've never sat through an old Warner Brothers gangster movie & I think it's fair to say I've been missing out.

20. The Thin Man (1934, W.S. Van Dyke)
It just sounds entertaining as hell.

Seen:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Gojira (Godzilla) - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10. 5. The Grapes of Wrath - 9/10, 13. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (The Passion of Joan of Arc) - 8/10 17. Stagecoach - 7/10 19. Sullivan's Travels - 5/10

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

12. Un Chien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog) (1929, Luis Buñuel)
I became aware of it a few years ago when I was looking back at milestone moments in horror & the eye-cutting scene is still with me, iconic. I'd like to experience the whole film though.

Watch this one. It's a 15 minute short that's available through Netflix instant so I expect you to be back here pretty quick.

I watched 8 1/2 last night and I kind of feel like an rear end for putting it off. I suppose that's kind of the point of a list of shame though. There might not be anything for me to say that hasn't already been said of this one but I would describe it as pure cinematic joy. Nearly every scene left a smile on my face and the style and fluidity of fantasy and reality were delightful.

Updated list:

L'Age D'Or - I've seen quite a bit of Bunuel, but not this. Caught Un Chien Andalou on Netflix Instant the other day and enjoyed it so this made the list.

The Third Man - I have the Criterion bluray. Started watching it once but got interrupted.

Wild Strawberries - I need more Bergman in my life.

Faces - Having only seen A Woman Under the Influence, I'm interested in watching more Cassavetes

Hoop Dreams - I should keep a slot on here for documentaries and this one was first on my netflix queue.

Battleship Potemkin - I need to watch more silents.

Ikiru - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen this one yet. It's been recommended to me many times.

A Woman is a Woman - More Godard, this one's been on the Netflix queue forever.

The Trial - Haven't seen too much of Welles and this one really interests me as I've read the book.

Tokyo Story - I've been meaning to check out some Ozu for a while.

Finally Watched: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Raging Bull, Ben-Hur(1959), Taxi Driver, Andrei Rublev, Breathless, 8 1/2

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
FancyMike, you get The Third Man. It's one of the more idiosyncratic noir movies out there. The zither score is something I've never seen in any other movie, plus Welles is very talented (more on that in a couple paragraphs). It's not my favorite movie, but I'm glad I watched it.

I just finished Boogie Nights. I really liked it; it's definitely my favorite Anderson film. The long shots in the middle and end of the film were really well-done. The Golden Age of Porn is a great setting for a story about the gap between sex and love. The Rahad Jackson scene was an amazing climax, particularly in the boiling tension, the loud sounds, and the total change it brings about in Dirk. I particularly liked that the movie didn't use porn as a scapegoat; in fact, the ending was very much the contrary and probably my favorite part of the movie.

I also knocked out F for Fake so I could free up some space. I thought it was good but not spectacular. The unconventional approach—weaving real shams into a documentary about them—was novel and the film's biggest asset. Orson Welles was clearly a legitimately intelligent man but his ego was even more of a vice for him than food. For a film about façades and pretenses it took itself remarkably seriously. If there's one real lesson the film taught, it's that if you're rich and smart you can land an amazing girlfriend.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights

Amarcord: I've never seen a Fellini movie, and I've heard the best things about this one.
Annie Hall: I've only seen two Woody Allen films: Melinda and Melinda and The Purple Rose of Cairo. I didn't like the former; the latter was good but I wasn't blown away. I feel like I should give Allen more of a chance.
American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Casino: I've been meaning to watch this movie forever; never got around to it.
Evil Dead: Probably an odd choice to put here, but I'm a massive fan of cult movies and Bruce Campbell. I also like Sam Raimi. It feels weird saying I'm a fan of any of the above without having seen any films from this series.
Léon/The Professional: I'm a big fan of Jean Reno—and indies—and this appears to be an extremely highly-regarded movie. I'm actually not as big a Natalie Portman fan as most of the rest of the Internet, but everything else about this movie sounds really interesting.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

FancyMike posted:

Watch this one. It's a 15 minute short that's available through Netflix instant so I expect you to be back here pretty quick.

Dude, I should've watched this ages ago. Completely bizarre, twisted & surreal - it made me feel at unease, I liked it a lot!

CloseFriend, enjoy The Evil Dead and consider watching Evil Dead 2 directly afterwards, I much prefer the latter although it is very much a slapstick comedy and less a horror.

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
I've recently become really interested in early-cinema and although I don't have the patience to deal with Birth of a Nation I realise that D.W. Griffith was pretty important to the development of cinema and would like to see at least one of his films, Intolerance seems to have a message which is the polar opposite of Birth of a Nation so it seems to be a natural choice.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
I like the synopsis of the story and want to see as much Lang as I can.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
Until very recently I had this and Casablanca lumped into the same "old romantic film I don't really need to see" box in my head - after watching the greatness that is Casablanca I fear that this may not actually be worth my time. It's like the Danny DeVito to the Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins... or is it?

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

14. Bronenosets Potyomkin (Battleship Potemkin) (1925, Sergei M. Eisenstein)
I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy it if what I read is correct but I'm more than willing to give it a chance considering how highly regarded it is.

15. Shadow of a Doubt (1943, Alfred Hitchcock)
I mean to watch every Hitchcock film.

16. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927, F.W. Murnau)
I've only ever seen Nosferatu from Murnau but I'm well aware that he is considered as one of cinemas greatest directors & it seems like this is the obvious choice to see some more of his work.

18. The Public Enemy (1931, William A. Wellman)
I've never sat through an old Warner Brothers gangster movie & I think it's fair to say I've been missing out.

20. The Thin Man (1934, W.S. Van Dyke)
It just sounds entertaining as hell.

21. It Happened One Night (1934, Frank Capra)
Cited as one of the greatest romantic movies ever made & although I'm a hopeless, lonely turd I want to watch it and enjoy it - not burst into a frenzied, psychopathic rage like what I do when I see couples holding hands in the streets...

Seen:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Gojira (Godzilla) - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10. 5. The Grapes of Wrath - 9/10, 13. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (The Passion of Joan of Arc) - 8/10 17. Stagecoach - 7/10 19. Sullivan's Travels - 5/10 12. Un Chien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog) - 8/10

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 20, 2010

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

BisonDollah posted:

21. It Happened One Night (1934, Frank Capra)
Cited as one of the greatest romantic movies ever made & although I'm a hopeless, lonely turd I want to watch it and enjoy it - not burst into a frenzied, psychopathic rage like what I do when I see couples holding hands in the streets...

While The Public Enemy is worth watching just to see somebody get smushed in the face with a grapefruit, I'm going to recommend It Happened One Night for you. Sounds like you need a nice light comedy. No psychopathic rages. Just a cute movie.

I watched Chungking Express earlier today and really liked it. I've seen it described as the 90s' answer to Masculin Feminin, and while I think the comparison is a bit off it did have a very similar feeling of joyful and effervescent experimentation and spontaneity. Neither movie really wears its complexity on the sleeve either, do they? It's like light playing on the surface of water. I'll probably be watching it again very soon.

My revised list:

3.) Cria Cuevos- I really liked Ana Torrent in The Spirit of the Beehive. I've heard good things about this too, and Spanish film is kind of a lacunae in my education.

4.) Short Cuts- Actually anything by Robert Altman. I love Raymond Carver, but not necessarily enough to sit and stare at his whole business for three hours.

5.) Late Spring- I just recently have begun getting familiar with Ozu. I still find his style sort of forbiddingly austere, but I want to keep exploring.

6.) Z- Or any Costa-Gavras. Army of Shadows sort of put me in the mood for political thrillers.

7.) Joan of Arc- I like Dreyer, I like Vivre Sa Vie, but this always looked like kind of a drag.

8.) Beauty and the Beast- Actually I haven't ever seen a Cocteau movie. I'm most intrigued by the Orphic Trilogy but B&B seems like a better place to start.

11.) The Earrings of Madame de...- I've just never seen anything by Max Ophuls. I recall reading about him in one of Pauline Kael's books. Sounds like somebody I should know, I guess.

12.) Modern Times- I got the new Criterion edition of this in the mail today. I like Chaplin but I've never seen this (or The Great Dictator, actually).

Watched: If..., Paris, Texas

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Archyduke, I haven't seen any of yours, so due to the magic of randomization you get Joan of Arc.

I just finished The Evil Dead and I liked it. Great film for a director on his first feature with such a low budget. I was impressed with how Raimi used mid-level, neutral angles for most of the film, then really busted out the Dutch angles, low angles, and overheads during the climax. The zombies were indeed comically excessive, although to be honest I don't feel like I picked up entirely on the movie's sense of humor. I'm still greatly looking forward to watching the other two; I've already always wanted to. I'm surprised that I liked this movie and I didn't like the similarly low-budget and comically excessive Dead Alive; even I'm not sure why.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead

Amarcord: I've never seen a Fellini movie, and I've heard the best things about this one.
Annie Hall: I've only seen two Woody Allen films: Melinda and Melinda and The Purple Rose of Cairo. I didn't like the former; the latter was good but I wasn't blown away. I feel like I should give Allen more of a chance.
American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Casino: I've been meaning to watch this movie forever; never got around to it.
Léon/The Professional: I'm a big fan of Jean Reno—and indies—and this appears to be an extremely highly-regarded movie. I'm actually not as big a Natalie Portman fan as most of the rest of the Internet, but everything else about this movie sounds really interesting.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Paris, Texas: I don't know a drat thing about this movie, except that I always confuse it with Happy, Texas. Apparently they aren't the same movie.
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

This movie is hilarious and sweet and is generally considered the best place to start with Allen, so watch it.

Finished American Graffiti, really enjoyed it. It really has a sense of the time it's in, and I can totally understand why someone might say that it's hard to see how fresh it was at the time considering all the movies it influenced later on (Dazed and Confused practically seems like Richard Linklater's response to this movie). The doo-wop, surf, and rockabilly soundtrack is a lot of fun, and all the actors give really likeable performances. Ron Howard's performance really makes me want to get into Happy Days now.

Updated list:

2. Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

meanmikhail posted:

This movie is hilarious and sweet and is generally considered the best place to start with Allen, so watch it.

Finished American Graffiti, really enjoyed it. It really has a sense of the time it's in, and I can totally understand why someone might say that it's hard to see how fresh it was at the time considering all the movies it influenced later on (Dazed and Confused practically seems like Richard Linklater's response to this movie). The doo-wop, surf, and rockabilly soundtrack is a lot of fun, and all the actors give really likeable performances. Ron Howard's performance really makes me want to get into Happy Days now.

Updated list:

2. Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti

The only one of that list I've seen is The Kingdom and I didn't think it was all that great so I'm going to select The Adventures of Robin Hood for you to watch.

My list, based on Roger Ebert's top-scored movies on netflix:

1)Seven Samurai - My dad is obsessed with samurai stuff so it's odd I haven't seen this already growing up, but there ya go.

2)Downfall - To be honest I think I never rented this because I felt weirded out renting a movie with a big picture of Hitler on the front of it at a movie store.

3)The Sting - I've seen bits of this, but never the full thing front-to-back.

4)Jaws - I've seen Jaws 2 and I guess I always thought the original would be just as lame. Prove me wrong.

5)This is Spinal Tap - Seems right up my alley, but never gotten around to watching it.

6)12 Angry Men - Classic that I haven't gotten a chance to see yet.

7)Cool Hand Luke - All I really know about this movie is someone eats a lot of hard boiled eggs or something.

8)Rocky - Yeah...

9)The Exorcist - I started watching this with my friends on Halloween but they got bored and we ended up watching The Human Centipede instead. Kinda wanted to see the rest of it though.

10)Jackie Brown - I think this is the only Tarantino movie I haven't seen yet.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Flippycunt - you get The Sting

So I watched The Idiots a few days ago and despite its rather sociopathic concept (people pretending to be retarded) it pulls it off as well as possible. Manages to be really funny in parts, especially earlier in the movie. The end pretty much upturns any sort of lightness from earlier on and comes down pretty hard on the group of main characters. I really like Von Trier, though, so your mileage may vary.

Updated list:
The Idiots
Scarlet Street - NOIRVEMBER

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line
The Haunting - I've seen a few Wise films and this one's pretty well regarded, plus it fits the whole horror film criteria I've got going.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation
Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek
Rosemary's Baby
Destiny - old Lang silent I've been meaning to see for a few years. It's on Netflix Instant, though, so I can finally get around to it.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game
Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita
Through a Glass Darkly
Even Dwarfs Started Small
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II - Welp, seems like the obvious next step here.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or
Bride of Frankenstein
The Brood - I love Cronenberg but this one has eluded me so far.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

dotCommunism, go with The Godfather Part II.

Sullivan's Travels was pretty good. It was less funny than other Sturges films, which I was okay with, but it still felt slightly "off". I probably liked it as much as The Lady Eve, which is a compliment. I was kind of underwhelmed by it, to be honest, but I can't expect everything that Sturges came out with to be pure, 100% gold. Nevertheless, 3.5/5

1. Requiem for a Dream - I need to see more of the recent "classics"

2. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Should really get to this eventually

3. Spartacus - One of the last Kubrick films I haven't seen

4. Hiroshima Mon Amour - Apparently next to Breathless and The 400 Blows in starting the New Wave, and I've seen the other two and enjoyed them

5. Masculin, féminin - Love Godard, this is a random one I haven't seen

6. sex, lies, and videotape - Probably an important film to watch

8. Notorious - I'm definitely a Hitchcock fan/I'm definitely a Cary Grant fan

9. Boogie Nights - I guess I'm just really bad with films after 1990

10. Easy Rider - Really should have seen this by now

Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3.5/5; Adaptation - 4/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
For you

PDMChubby posted:

if just for the grandstanding opening shot.

Wild Strawberries was a revelation. A thoroughly warm and touching film, deep with humanity.

My list is now

1. Singing in the Rain Urgh, musicals are just not my thing, but maybe now's the time.

2. King Kong The original monster flick.

3. Johnny Guitar My experience of Western is really Wayne plus post-Wild Bunch.

4. Eight and a half. I’m interested in watching Italian neo-realism, but figured that I should start by watching Fellini’s most well known piece.

5. Pickpocket. French cinema is pretty cool.

6. Tokyo Story. Because I should.

7. Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

8. Last year at marianbad. The start of the nouveau vague must be good, right?

9. Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

10. Rules of the Game Early classic.