Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

dietcokefiend posted:

No warning lights, assume its during acceleration. Manual transmission

Turbo lag?

It also might just be a function of the ESP, I know I sometimes get a "cut out" of power if the car doesn't like the way I'm treating it in certain conditions.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.

dietcokefiend posted:

Last week my brother and his wife picked up a new 2010 TDI SportWagon. So far about 400-500 miles on the clock. He was recently asking me about an intermittant loss of power, which he described as lifting off the accelerator for a split section and pressing it back down.

I don't have any experience with modern diesel passenger cars to help him out any. It sounds like it has happened a few times. Any ideas?
When researching TDIs I ran across quite a few forum posts complaining about hesitation/'skips'/&c on 2009/2010 models, while the vehicle was in motion. This post on tdiclub implies that there's an update the dealer can apply that may fix the issue. Then there's another post below that claims the opposite.

It doesn't look like the 2011s have this issue, so I'm hoping that my allocated-but-yet-to-be-built Golf TDI does not exhibit this. Oh lord, the waiting.

Nevergirls fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 16, 2010

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

my1999gsr posted:

I hope it helps and things work out for you.

OK here is an update...

Friday..., the guy working on the car took it to a VW dealership for a "throttle module reset". (I forgot the paper work, I meant to scan it and post it.)

Saturday... morning I picked up the car a drove it a mile to my house. It was noted that if problems continue the throttle module may need to be replaced. The car sat in the drive way for approx. an hour. I had an hour road trip planned and thought that would be a good test drive for the car. I back out of the drive and it starts stuttering as soon as I start going forward. I park it and take a different car on my trip cause I didn't want to risk it.

Sunday... I find time to test drive it again, and drove for maybe 20 miles. It drove "OK" no stuttering but it also didn't feel right. It seemed kind of slow to react to acceleration.

Monday... I back it out of the driveway and it stalls twice before I get off my street. Now even with it stalling twice I didn't get any fault lights. I went ahead and drove it for a quick 5 mile errand.

Tuesday... Start the car and get the check engine light. I go ahead and drive it 17 miles to work, and it actually drove better than it has in a long time, but I still have the warning light. About to call the garage again and see what they say now.

This is now going on 3 weeks and will be the 4th seperate time I've taken it in, during this time.

EDIT: One other thing... It seems to be, and I know this is probably the wrong wording, but it seems to be "geared differently". I can get it up to 70+ miles per hour in 4th gear and it still doesn't feel like I need to shift to 5th. Again this is me guessing, but it seems they maybe changed something within the throttle module to try and hide the problem rather than fix it.

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 16, 2010

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

loving sweet! Nice car. I used to have a blue one. Personal preference but nothing looks better on them than the original Aristos.
Thanks. I got the Koseis because I foolishly thought I was going track my car a whole bunch. Nope. Still, I like the look of the slightly smaller wheels and it shows off the rotors. :)

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I've got an '04 V10 5.0l diesel Phaeton and I'm after a bit of advice really.

I can't be of any help, but nice Phaeton. Good luck.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 17, 2010

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Click here for the full 1131x1463 image.

Here is the invoice from the "throttle adaption".

I took the car back to the garage last night. He gave me some bullshit story about the old codes that were erased must have "came back because they didn't have enough drive time". ??? He said they should have kept the car for a couple of more days and drove it themselves to make sure it was ok, and they just gave it back to me too soon. Now I don't believe a single word of that. I really think they are now trying to do as little as possible to satisfy me and are hoping I go away.

Questions: How much is a new throttle? And I guess I would feel obligated to pay for that right? But I also feel like this could go on and on to a point where I wouldn't want to put that much $$$ into the car. My initial estimate was $1600 and that went up to what I paid, $1743, when some vacuum hoses were found that needed replaced. He paid for the "throttle adaption".

I am now on week three without a car. The vehicle I am now driving because I don't have my car is a diesal pick-up truck, that I've put $150 in fuel in over this time. I have paid out $1743 for a car that I could argue is actually running worse then when I took it in.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
What model VW is my coolant tank from? If I ever need another it's good to know.

Yes I know one of the hoses is blocked off with a bolt. I'm not finished yet!
edit: Oh it's not visible. Nevermind.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

What model VW is my coolant tank from? If I ever need another it's good to know.
That looks almost exactly like the coolant tank under the hood of a 1992 Eurovan (scroll down to "radiator flush" to see the pictures), but it's probable that there are subtle differences.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That looks almost exactly like the coolant tank under the hood of a 1992 Eurovan (scroll down to "radiator flush" to see the pictures), but it's probable that there are subtle differences.

That's it exactly. Thank you :)

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

General_Failure posted:

That's it exactly. Thank you :)

It looks very similar to the coolant tank on any A4-style Jetta/Golf/Beetle too.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Click here for the full 1131x1463 image.

Here is the invoice from the "throttle adaption".

I took the car back to the garage last night. He gave me some bullshit story about the old codes that were erased must have "came back because they didn't have enough drive time". ??? He said they should have kept the car for a couple of more days and drove it themselves to make sure it was ok, and they just gave it back to me too soon. Now I don't believe a single word of that. I really think they are now trying to do as little as possible to satisfy me and are hoping I go away.

Questions: How much is a new throttle? And I guess I would feel obligated to pay for that right? But I also feel like this could go on and on to a point where I wouldn't want to put that much $$$ into the car. My initial estimate was $1600 and that went up to what I paid, $1743, when some vacuum hoses were found that needed replaced. He paid for the "throttle adaption".

I am now on week three without a car. The vehicle I am now driving because I don't have my car is a diesal pick-up truck, that I've put $150 in fuel in over this time. I have paid out $1743 for a car that I could argue is actually running worse then when I took it in.

Well, I'm not there to look at the car myself so it's very difficult to say what your next step should be. Obviously the shop you've been going to feels that it's a problem with the throttle body or something closely related to it so the next logical step (if they're right) is to replace the throttle body and see if it solves the problem. I'm not sure on the dealership price of that part but I'm guessing it's $500 or more so and that's a lot of money to spend on a "maybe". You could try a used part from a junkyard to save some money but it's still not a 100% sure repair. If it were my car I'd ask the shop that's been working on it for an estimate to replace the throttle body and then find out what happens if the new throttle body doesn't fix the problem.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
[2005 3.0L B6 A4]
I've got about 10k till my timing belt service is due. I think I'm going to hit it 5k early to be safe since I drive my car pretty hard.

What should I go ahead and replace while I'm in there? Are one of the "timing belt kits" worth it?

http://www.europaparts.com/timing-belt-kit-3-0l.html
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-Quattro-V6_30v/Search/Timing_Belt/ES4708/

Other than that I'm going to replace my snub mount and motor mounts.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

General_Failure posted:

Yes I know one of the hoses is blocked off with a bolt. I'm not finished yet!
edit: Oh it's not visible. Nevermind.

I also have that exact same tank in my 98 tdi. They just added a max fill line to it as well.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I was doing my monthly surfing of the VWoA website and I see that they changed up all the "build your own" cars. You can only get a freaking 2.5 or tdi in the jetta sportwagen now. What's that poo poo about. And then the TDI only has a 5 speed :( So I guess when my GLI gets smashed up i'm going GTI.

How much smaller is the GTI vs the Wagon when it comes to actual useable storage space?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

I was doing my monthly surfing of the VWoA website and I see that they changed up all the "build your own" cars. You can only get a freaking 2.5 or tdi in the jetta sportwagen now. What's that poo poo about. And then the TDI only has a 5 speed :( So I guess when my GLI gets smashed up i'm going GTI.

How much smaller is the GTI vs the Wagon when it comes to actual useable storage space?

As far as I know, the 2.0T was never an option in the Sportwagen, which is a shame.

edit: Apparently I could not be more wrong.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Another thing that annoys me on the 2011s, you can't get Karthooms on the GTI, the huffs are just too drat heavy and I'm not really a fan either.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Another thing that annoys me on the 2011s, you can't get Karthooms on the GTI, the huffs are just too drat heavy and I'm not really a fan either.

I'm sure a dealership would happily swap wheels for you. My inlaws got a set of OE wheels on their last purchase from the dealership that aren't "official" VW options for the Sportwagen. But if you don't like either option, then get the base wheel and go aftermarket.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
Ok, got a pretty big problem related to the wheel thing I posted about before.

The new wheel and tire were put on the rear of the car and an old rear tire went on the front, at which point we discovered that the old tire was cupped (who knows why). This was causing some noise and generally weird behavior, so I got another new tire and that went to the rear as well (so two good new tires in rear + two old good tires in front now).

So far so good.

Except when I go above 40 mph I still hear the humming noise and at speeds of 50+ (especially at highway speeds) there's a pretty noticeable humming/droning noise and vibration coming from the front left of the car. The noise/vibration happen as I turn the wheel to the right; when I'm going straight or turning left, everything is perfect.

Here's what I know so far:

- This vibration and noise thing began after I jumped the curb and messed up the front left wheel and tire.
- Tires/wheels aren't the problem at this point.
- Alignment isn't the problem (checked twice by the tire shop, everything checks out according to them).
- Suspension components were checked out by the shop that was doing insurance work and by a dealership, nothing was found to be out of place (no blown shocks, bent control arms etc).

It definitely feels like something is rubbing against, well, something when I turn right. The whole humming and vibration business is hard to describe, but it feels like something is touching the wheel. Again, this is when turning right only..

What the hell could it be? What would you guys recommend? There sure is a whole lot of other stuff in that area, and I'm assuming that something got knocked out of whack by the impact (brakes?)

My plan for now is to open a supplemental claim and get the shop to inspect, I don't know what. Something. I'd rather not sell or trade the car in for something else because I do love the GTI, but after all the problems I had with it... (and yeah I know, my own fault for being a dumbass and hitting a curb, but it's definitely still messed up)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

On the plus side, the "build your own" stuff is all HTML & JavaScript, so you can build your own on an iPad :shobon:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Autism Sundae posted:

Ok, got a pretty big problem related to the wheel thing I posted about before.

The new wheel and tire were put on the rear of the car and an old rear tire went on the front, at which point we discovered that the old tire was cupped (who knows why). This was causing some noise and generally weird behavior, so I got another new tire and that went to the rear as well (so two good new tires in rear + two old good tires in front now).

So far so good.

Except when I go above 40 mph I still hear the humming noise and at speeds of 50+ (especially at highway speeds) there's a pretty noticeable humming/droning noise and vibration coming from the front left of the car. The noise/vibration happen as I turn the wheel to the right; when I'm going straight or turning left, everything is perfect.

Here's what I know so far:

- This vibration and noise thing began after I jumped the curb and messed up the front left wheel and tire.
- Tires/wheels aren't the problem at this point.
- Alignment isn't the problem (checked twice by the tire shop, everything checks out according to them).
- Suspension components were checked out by the shop that was doing insurance work and by a dealership, nothing was found to be out of place (no blown shocks, bent control arms etc).

It definitely feels like something is rubbing against, well, something when I turn right. The whole humming and vibration business is hard to describe, but it feels like something is touching the wheel. Again, this is when turning right only..

What the hell could it be? What would you guys recommend? There sure is a whole lot of other stuff in that area, and I'm assuming that something got knocked out of whack by the impact (brakes?)

My plan for now is to open a supplemental claim and get the shop to inspect, I don't know what. Something. I'd rather not sell or trade the car in for something else because I do love the GTI, but after all the problems I had with it... (and yeah I know, my own fault for being a dumbass and hitting a curb, but it's definitely still messed up)

You might have trashed one of the CV joints when you went curb stomping.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

You might have trashed one of the CV joints when you went curb stomping.

Possibly a wheel bearing from the sounds you're describing. A decent side impact on a wheel bearing can damage it enough that it gets noisy.

my1999gsr fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 20, 2010

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
Right, thanks guys. Hopefully they'll be able to figure out what's causing the problem. It's weird that the shop didn't catch it before.

Autism Monday fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 20, 2010

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!
I'm looking for a daily driver and found a 1991 8v GTI for about a grand. At this price I'd have some money set aside to fix whatever came up. How stupid am I being?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I still haven't got my Jetta back. They are going to call me Monday which will be one day short of a month. Here's today's conversations with them.

I said "Well this is FFF, my Jetta has been in there for about a month. I'm just looking for an update."
Him: Well Corey is on his way to Mississppi right now.
I said, "OK I just haven't heard from you guys for a week, I just wondered what was going on."
Him: Well we've been really busy.
"OK, but what's going on with my car?"
Him: Why do you need it?
"Uh no.... I just want to know what's going on."
Him: I don't know.
"You can't tell me anything?"
Him: No. I'll give you a call Friday.

They charged my credit card on Nov. 8th.

I called back because I'm getting pissed and I wanted to get the guys name.

I said "this is FFF again, are you the guy that I talked to about an hour ago?"

He (Craig) said, Yes and I apologize for being a little short with you before. Between doing an oil change and watching the front desk it gets a little hectic. I talked with Corey and he said it was still stuttering a few days ago and that he would call you Monday. (So now it's Monday not Friday)

I said "OK... Have we talked before? face to face?"
He said, "Yes we have."
I said, "Oh ok... and your name is??? I don't think I ever caught it...."
He said, "It's Craig".
I said, "OK, Craig.... I'm just trying to keep track of who said what when."
He laughed... I said bye.

Now what I think is happening is they realize that they are going to have to come out of pocket for a $500 throttle module, (something I actually didn't have a problem paying for until I realized I've been jerked around for a month) and they don't want to do that, so they are looking for the cheapest one they can find.

Well I'm not giving them another dime.

I'm going to push them on that Catalytic Converter "Core" return they say was in a VW bulletin.

Are these bulletins available online anywhere?

If I was a dick, I'd cancel the credit card payment and "steal" the car off the lot, and tell them to come get me in court. Maybe they'd like to produce that bulletin for a judge.

I'll gladly listen to any and all advice.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I still haven't got my Jetta back. They are going to call me Monday which will be one day short of a month. Here's today's conversations with them.

I said "Well this is FFF, my Jetta has been in there for about a month. I'm just looking for an update."
Him: Well Corey is on his way to Mississppi right now.
I said, "OK I just haven't heard from you guys for a week, I just wondered what was going on."
Him: Well we've been really busy.
"OK, but what's going on with my car?"
Him: Why do you need it?
"Uh no.... I just want to know what's going on."
Him: I don't know.
"You can't tell me anything?"
Him: No. I'll give you a call Friday.

They charged my credit card on Nov. 8th.

I called back because I'm getting pissed and I wanted to get the guys name.

I said "this is FFF again, are you the guy that I talked to about an hour ago?"

He (Craig) said, Yes and I apologize for being a little short with you before. Between doing an oil change and watching the front desk it gets a little hectic. I talked with Corey and he said it was still stuttering a few days ago and that he would call you Monday. (So now it's Monday not Friday)

I said "OK... Have we talked before? face to face?"
He said, "Yes we have."
I said, "Oh ok... and your name is??? I don't think I ever caught it...."
He said, "It's Craig".
I said, "OK, Craig.... I'm just trying to keep track of who said what when."
He laughed... I said bye.

Now what I think is happening is they realize that they are going to have to come out of pocket for a $500 throttle module, (something I actually didn't have a problem paying for until I realized I've been jerked around for a month) and they don't want to do that, so they are looking for the cheapest one they can find.

Well I'm not giving them another dime.

I'm going to push them on that Catalytic Converter "Core" return they say was in a VW bulletin.

Are these bulletins available online anywhere?

If I was a dick, I'd cancel the credit card payment and "steal" the car off the lot, and tell them to come get me in court. Maybe they'd like to produce that bulletin for a judge.

I'll gladly listen to any and all advice.

Ok, well this shop sounds a little slipshod in how they deal with their customers - keeping your car for as long as they have with no answers is, in my opinion, very poor customer service and it's not moving their diagnosis forward in any way.

Concerning your cat replacement: Just to reiterate, the only way VW would want your old catalytic convertor back as a "core" is if it was replaced under warranty. If that were the case then you wouldn't have had to pay for it in the first place so it seems like something funny is going on there.

I don't think there's anywhere online you can get a copy of the TSB unless they've leaked out somewhere. If it comes down to it I might be able to fax you a copy of the TSB you need so keep me posted. You could try dropping by your local VW dealer and asking them for a copy of the TSB - they may help you out.

At this point I'd be tempted to take the car back and try another shop. Maybe wait and see how they deal with you on Monday.

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!
You can look up bulletins here. I didn't see anything related to the cat for your car.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Lord Flashheart posted:

You can look up bulletins here. I didn't see anything related to the cat for your car.

I'm not sure if that site shows all the TSB's available - maybe only the safety related ones. In any case, VW North America has issued a dealer-circulated bulletin regarding this problem and the steps we're supposed to take in the event that a vehicle arrives at the dealership with these faults logged.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
How about putting your VIN in here:
http://owners.vw.com/vww/touareg/vw_service/recalls.html

I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how much info it gives back.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
This is more general automotive than VW but since it's my Passat I'll post it here. I just did a spark plug change on my 2000 Passat v6, Plug housing 2 and 4 were filled with oil but all of the others were dry. The plugs were probably OEM and the car has 94k miles on it (NGK plugs), I'm not the original owner. It doesn't burn oil at all and no blue smoke when I accelerate hard, I'm stumped as to why oil was sitting in there. I can't even tell you if the cylinder has a slight oil leak because the plugs got doused in oil on their way out of the head, but if the other plugs are any indication then no, no leaks.

On the #2 plug I noticed a dark line on the insulation but didn't notice it on #4 so I was thinking insulation crack but I still don't get how that would put oil in the housing if there's no oil burning in the chamber.

edit: probably the valve cover, gonna put some new ones in

Sepist fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 25, 2010

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Sepist posted:

This is more general automotive than VW but since it's my Passat I'll post it here. I just did a spark plug change on my 2000 Passat v6, Plug housing 2 and 4 were filled with oil but all of the others were dry. The plugs were probably OEM and the car has 94k miles on it (NGK plugs), I'm not the original owner. It doesn't burn oil at all and no blue smoke when I accelerate hard, I'm stumped as to why oil was sitting in there. I can't even tell you if the cylinder has a slight oil leak because the plugs got doused in oil on their way out of the head, but if the other plugs are any indication then no, no leaks.

On the #2 plug I noticed a dark line on the insulation but didn't notice it on #4 so I was thinking insulation crack but I still don't get how that would put oil in the housing if there's no oil burning in the chamber.

edit: probably the valve cover, gonna put some new ones in

100% it's a bad valve cover gasket - it's very common.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Got a fault code b2000. Can't find any reference for what it is other then body fault. Had the check gas cap icon go off a few times before even when it was fine. Just a bit paranoid after the cam shaft had to be replaced 6 months after i got the car. 06 gli in case that matters.

Alighieri fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 26, 2010

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Alighieri posted:

Got a fault code b2000. Can't find any reference for what it is other then body fault. Had the check gas cap icon go off a few times before even when it was fine. Just a bit paranoid after the cam shaft had to be replaced 6 months after i got the car. 06 gli in case that matters.

I believe that's for a fault regarding incorrect pressure at the fuel rail.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

my1999gsr posted:

I believe that's for a fault regarding incorrect pressure at the fuel rail.

Could it possibly be linked to a bad fuel cap or is it usually a HPFP issue?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Alighieri posted:

Could it possibly be linked to a bad fuel cap or is it usually a HPFP issue?

It *should* be a fuel rail pressure issue. The fault code you listed isn't exactly the same as the one my VAG scan tool would show for that problem (usually it's a P-code followed by a 4 digit code - the B code you listed shows up as part of the 4 digit code). There's a possibility that your code and the code I'm referring to aren't related but without seeing the scan tool's info I can't be 100% sure.

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest
My rear-seat armrest wont go down.

It'll budge about 1-2 inches and that's about it. I feel like im going to break something if i pull it any tougher. Any ideas?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

mrbucket posted:

My rear-seat armrest wont go down.

It'll budge about 1-2 inches and that's about it. I feel like im going to break something if i pull it any tougher. Any ideas?

Let me guess: 2010/2011 Golf/Jetta? There's a manufacturing problem with the arm rest and there's a TSB about it. You can try to pull the arm rest open slightly, press down on the top edge and slowly lower it to the down position. We've had some luck with this method but some of them have required replacement.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
In 2010 TDI my driver side door, the panel where the handle that holds the window control buttons (circled in the picture) protrudes by about half a centimeter. I've pushed it back inwards but it just bounces right back out. Would this be something covered under warranty?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

In 2010 TDI my driver side door, the panel where the handle that holds the window control buttons (circled in the picture) protrudes by about half a centimeter. I've pushed it back inwards but it just bounces right back out. Would this be something covered under warranty?

Interior panel fitment *should* be covered by your warranty but it really depends on how your local dealer treats their customers. I keep hearing things in this thread about shoddy customer service practices at VW dealers so your mileage may vary.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Does anyone know how to use the Elsawin DB software? I didn't feel like dropping 100 bucks on a manual so I went to Ebay and bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-J...#ht_3322wt_1149

It is a copy of an electronic service manual that runs in a VMWare player install :pwn:

Apparently it's what the actual dealerships use for finding parts information, and accordingly is a bitch to use. I can't even find my own car in there and it doesn't support looking up by VIN's unless you subscribe to their service.

Anyone have experience with it that could give me some tips on how to use it, because apparently the seller omitted the manual. :downs:

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Wicaeed posted:

Does anyone know how to use the Elsawin DB software? I didn't feel like dropping 100 bucks on a manual so I went to Ebay and bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-J...#ht_3322wt_1149

It is a copy of an electronic service manual that runs in a VMWare player install :pwn:

Apparently it's what the actual dealerships use for finding parts information, and accordingly is a bitch to use. I can't even find my own car in there and it doesn't support looking up by VIN's unless you subscribe to their service.

Anyone have experience with it that could give me some tips on how to use it, because apparently the seller omitted the manual. :downs:

I don't really know how to operate this manual but it's a very interesting product. Judging by the screen shots from the ad it looks like it's based on an early version of our VAG online manual which is funny since it was never given to the dealerships on CD or DVD.

When you load the manual does the first page have about 6 fields where you can enter your vehicle's information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Well, today Nov. 30th, means they have had my car for exactly one month, with me getting it back and returning it basically the very next day because of the same problem 4 times.

I have....

paid them $1743 on Nov. 8th.
spent approximately $400 on fuel in the vehicle I am now driving, instead of the $120 I would normally spend on gas over this time.

(I recorded all phone calls that happened yesterday on audio tape.)

I was told last Friday that Corey would call me first thing Monday morning. I assumed that meant 8am. I waited until 8:30am and called them. Corey wasn't in yet, but he will call as soon as he gets in. I wait until 12:00pm... and call him again. Before I can really even ask him what's going on with my car. He mentions the fuel filter,

"Have you ever cleaned the fuel filter on this thing yourself or had it done?"
"Uh no, what does that have to do with anything?"
"Well I'm about to pull it in here and put a new one on, see if that fixes the problem."
"Why does it take a month for you to think to check the fuel filter?"
"Well you said you hadn't cleaned it." (This kind of round about way of putting blame on me for things continues for the rest of this day.)
"So?"
"Well, I've just done all I could. Me and my guys have driven it alot and don't have the problems you seem to have when you drive it." (Is he saying I'm driving it wrong? Also, it seems that my car has become the garages errand car for the last month. Corey mentions many times how much he has driven it, to pick up parts etc. and how he uses these trips as test drives, and how the car is always fine for him. I guess this ok... if you were going to test drive it anyway, it's killing two bird with one stone.... but it may also be another example of unprofessionalism by this garage if it was abused. I don't know what the milage put on it is yet.) The more I push him on the phone, the more he tries to get off, and finally says, "Can I call you right back?"
I say sure... thinking I kind of needed a break to cool down a little bit and plan my next move.

After 30 minutes he doesn't call back, I get pissed and call him, he is on another line. I'm super heated now. I start getting all my notes organized, I have a gently caress ton of documentation, including this very thread. It takes me til 1:50pm, to get all my frustration and paperwork organized, and call HIM yet again.

He is getting ready to check the fuel filter and take it on another test drive.

Fine whatever.

He calls me back, (for the first time ever I think) at 5:25pm.

(The following is all recorded but I'm typing this from memory and paraphrasing)

He says, "It's not pulling any codes and it's running fine for me. Everythings great. I'd like you to come pick it up tonight."
I said "No it will have to be tomorrow morning" He can't do the morning so I am picking it up tonight, Nov. 30th 2010 approx. 5:30. He says that will give him time today to do some more test driving.

I ask, "What I don't understand is if VW told you on the 12th of Nov. that "May need throttle replaced if condition returns", why you never mentioned that to me or even just went ahead and did it?" "I never heard anything from you guys after I dropped it back off on the 15th."
He says, "Well I fixed what I found wrong with it. I replaced the MAF and the Cat. Conv. and I got your EPC reprogrammed, I didn't charge you for that. And I just put in a new feul filter, I'm not charging you for that."
"But the car isn't fixed! I paid you $1743, you've had it for a month and I could argue that it is even running worse now then before I brought it to you... because before you touched it never cut completely out while going 60 mph on the highway! It did that after you put $1300 worth of new parts on it, and wasted a month of my time."

He kept going on and on about how he can't fix it, and how twice the battery has somehow totally become discharged and then somehow recharges. He asks me if I can explain. I say, "NO THAT'S WHAT I PAY YOU FOR!!"

He says he still has my old MAF, and Cat. Conv., (the Cat. Conv. he originally said VW wanted back as a 'core') if I want them. (WTF? why would he ask me that?) He mentions that I tried to clean the MAF myself before he got it. Again trying to deflect some blame to me it seems like.

I say, "Well if you've got my old parts there can you just put them back on my car and we'll call it a day? Cause those new parts, whether they were "needed" or not didn't do me any good at all."

He said he couldn't do that.

I talked to Visa about canceling payment. They said all I have to do is say the word and they will dispute it for me. The Visa representative said, "I would have snapped by now."

I'm calling a lawyer friend right now to figuare out the best way to play this.

I am really not the "lawyer" type at all, but this is just too screwed up, and I'm tired of getting run over.