Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

This might be kind of out there but capillary tubes might work. They're disposable and dirt cheap too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Prefect Six posted:

So you guys were talking about transferring paint from the pot to the palette. Someone was talking about using droppers - I've been using some cheap plastic ones, but I think I'm wasting poo poo tons of paint when I do this as it all doesn't come back out. Do I need a better dropper or am I doing something wrong?

I've tried a few things, ranging from eyedroppers to hypodermic needles for drawing paint out and depositing it on palettes. I have tried using brushes, but it winds up sucking so much paint up into the bristles that it's hard to get it out on the palette. My current preferred method is using one of the spoon shaped sculpting tools I have to just scoop some paint out.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

spruethpick
I laughed.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would second using dropper-bottles like vallejo makes. You can buy very similar ones empty super cheap and transfer all your paints over. It's so much easier and less wasteful to be able to drop right from the bottle to your palette than screw around with pipettes and brushes and sticks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ashcans posted:

I would second using dropper-bottles like vallejo makes. You can buy very similar ones empty super cheap and transfer all your paints over. It's so much easier and less wasteful to be able to drop right from the bottle to your palette than screw around with pipettes and brushes and sticks.

How'd you get them out of the tiny GW bottle and into your dropper?

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

How'd you get them out of the tiny GW bottle and into your dropper?

a really tiny funnel?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Ashcans posted:

This works until the nozzle gets clogged and you wind up blowing the entire dropper top part off of the bottle and paint sprays all over your hand, miniatures, desk, and cat.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I don't know why I still try but gently caress GW paints when using an airbrush. I swear every batch of paint requires a different amount of thinner compared to the last. I had a pot of regal blue that I did 50:50 paint/Iso alcohol mix with and it still turned out to be way too thick. I swear by the time I got it thin enough it was more like 10:90 paint to alcohol. Of course by that time the airbrush was super clogged and I had to drop everything to strip it down and clean out.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

HKR posted:

I don't know why I still try but gently caress GW paints when using an airbrush. I swear every batch of paint requires a different amount of thinner compared to the last. I had a pot of regal blue that I did 50:50 paint/Iso alcohol mix with and it still turned out to be way too thick. I swear by the time I got it thin enough it was more like 10:90 paint to alcohol. Of course by that time the airbrush was super clogged and I had to drop everything to strip it down and clean out.

try windex instead of rubbing alcohol.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

HKR posted:

Isopropyl is fine with tamaya acrylics, say, but it makes GW paint gunk up terrible. You can use windex like blunt said, or even try just water. I personally have had success using a mixture of 1:1 future floor polish to slightly soapy water as a thinner.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

Fauxtool posted:

what is a "plant light?"

All i see are lights for growing indoors, Im not interested in starting a grow op :2bong:

http://www.amazon.com/41624-Plant-Light-A19-60-Watt/dp/B000092R12

The first picture on that page is of printer paper or some poo poo. Look at the second. They're about $5 at the store.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Bachtere posted:

I honestly think using a brush is fine. Maybe an older one when you are scooping out tons of paint or working with Foundation paints.

This times a jillion billion, involving droppers and whatnot is just pure fancy schmancy madness and you're just making extra work for yourself in having to clean those out as well.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

So you guys were talking about transferring paint from the pot to the palette. Someone was talking about using droppers - I've been using some cheap plastic ones, but I think I'm wasting poo poo tons of paint when I do this as it all doesn't come back out. Do I need a better dropper or am I doing something wrong?

I think that may have been me. I use pipettes, but I do batch painting. I lose maybe 10%, at most, when I transfer. I try to leave the thing over my palette, so it drips in there, or over the pot. I also flush them with water when I'm finished, preventing them from clogging.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

a really tiny funnel?
I actually have a little funnel, but if you are lazy/unable to find one you can make one out of foil in about two minutes. You will obviously get paint left on the funnel, but you can let it drain and push remaining paint down with a brush or, if you are seriously worried about waste, wash it down with a bit of water. This usually works great for me because you're transferring the 12ml GW bottle into a 17ml or 20ml dropper, and I like to thin the paint a little anyway.

Aranan posted:

This works until the nozzle gets clogged and you wind up blowing the entire dropper top part off of the bottle and paint sprays all over your hand, miniatures, desk, and cat.
Just wipe it clean and maybe check for build-up once in a while, it's not a big deal. Also better than regular GW pots where your cat jumps on the table and knocks them down, sending a wave of paint over your pants, kitchen table, and half-finished miniature.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ashcans posted:

I actually have a little funnel, but if you are lazy/unable to find one you can make one out of foil in about two minutes. You will obviously get paint left on the funnel, but you can let it drain and push remaining paint down with a brush or, if you are seriously worried about waste, wash it down with a bit of water. This usually works great for me because you're transferring the 12ml GW bottle into a 17ml or 20ml dropper, and I like to thin the paint a little anyway.

That was what I was wondering. It seems like the paint you'd save in a dropper would be lost on the funnel transfer.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have a little sculpting tool that has one side with a spoon-like edge and the other is a flat chisel-like shape. That works great cause I then use the same tool to mix the stuff up and it wipes clean without any effort at all. Involving pipettes or trying to use an old brush just sounds really difficult.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
For transferring to the pallet, I just use the same cheapo wooden skewers that I use as holders for when I'm painting individual parts. Gets what I need, wipes off easy, and quite plentiful.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

That was what I was wondering. It seems like the paint you'd save in a dropper would be lost on the funnel transfer.

Honestly, I have no idea. If you are careful with pouring it doesn't seem like a lot gets lost on a funnel, but it's not like I've really measured it. It also depends how you paint, I guess. If you do big batch jobs then the amount you lose using a brush or dropper to transfer is small compared to what you're using. I usually end up painting just one thing or only doing a little bit of work at a time, so it feels like I waste as much paint on a brush transfer as I am putting on the model.

I also find the dropper bottles a lot more convenient - no messing around with eyedroppers or sticks all the time and worrying about transfer, every bottle is its own dropper.

Ultimately you just need to pick what works for you and your comfort, it's not like there is really a right answer. I'm sure there is someone who transfers paint with their fingers and is as happy as a clam.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Honestly, I have no idea. If you are careful with pouring it doesn't seem like a lot gets lost on a funnel, but it's not like I've really measured it. It also depends how you paint, I guess. If you do big batch jobs then the amount you lose using a brush or dropper to transfer is small compared to what you're using. I usually end up painting just one thing or only doing a little bit of work at a time, so it feels like I waste as much paint on a brush transfer as I am putting on the model.

I also find the dropper bottles a lot more convenient - no messing around with eyedroppers or sticks all the time and worrying about transfer, every bottle is its own dropper.

Ultimately you just need to pick what works for you and your comfort, it's not like there is really a right answer. I'm sure there is someone who transfers paint with their fingers and is as happy as a clam.

With PV becoming a casualty of war, where do you find the droppers? Michaels?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I just use the end of the paintbrush handle. v:shobon:v

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Aranan posted:

I laughed.

You're welcome.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

bhsman posted:

I just use the end of the paintbrush handle.

It's cheap and works. I use it to stir too.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Crossposting from the warhammer thread.

I made a bit of forest terrain. Just took some cardboard and cut it into the shape I wanted. Then I took an old branch from a broken fake christmas tree and cut off several of the tips. I then dug holes into the middle of some corks and put the tips into the corks. Glue the corks to the cardboard, then glue green felt to the rest of the board. Did it all for free thanks to my mother being both a seamstress and wine drinker, thus having all the corks and spare fabric I need.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Anyone have a trip report from using Vallejo Model Air Gray Primer ?

Primarily I'm concerned with how well it stands up compared to aerosol primers when used with gaming miniatures.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

bhsman posted:

I just use the end of the paintbrush handle. v:shobon:v

Also for the people worried about using an airbrush inside, one option is to build a booth out of a cardboard box and do your spraying under the hood fan for you stove. My wife and I do this just to make sure the paint doesn't give my wife an astma attack.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Master Twig posted:

Crossposting from the warhammer thread.

I made a bit of forest terrain. Just took some cardboard and cut it into the shape I wanted. Then I took an old branch from a broken fake christmas tree and cut off several of the tips. I then dug holes into the middle of some corks and put the tips into the corks. Glue the corks to the cardboard, then glue green felt to the rest of the board. Did it all for free thanks to my mother being both a seamstress and wine drinker, thus having all the corks and spare fabric I need.

I would at least paint the corks.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

NecronSchmecron posted:

I would at least paint the corks.

I probably will. Someoene in the warhammer thread suggested spraying with glue then putting a basing layer on it. Might just do that. But it works as is for now for simple games.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Since I find myself unexpectedly unemployed I had a bit of time on my hands so I thought i'd do a bit of painting.

First thing I've done in a couple of months and I quite like it so have an in progress shot.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Holy dang, that's hot.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Master Twig posted:

I probably will. Someoene in the warhammer thread suggested spraying with glue then putting a basing layer on it. Might just do that. But it works as is for now for simple games.

That was me; I was actually referring to putting some foliage on the branches of the trees to make them look more natural.

You've done the tedious part already: making the skeletons of the trees. Hit them with some paint, some foliage, and you're good to go.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

This on top of my oath this month. It's for a commission, btw. One space marine army is enough for me right now.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So I never could paint anything past basecoating a couple crisis suits or painting a couple drones, until I figured out it was too boring for me. So I looked for something else a bit more interesting to do and came up with the demon project. First guy I've done was this guy, a kitbash of two reaper models: Maladorn and Rauthuros. Took me a while, as I've been essentially learning to paint with him, plus took a lot of time away to prep/convert other models. Picture's a bit crummy and washes out a lot of the detail I took pains to achieve, I'll try 'n deal with that soon. Trouble is his wings were too big to fit in the lil lightbox I had made.

Anyway, figured I'd share it for criticism... or at least to have some proof that I'd accomplished something for once.

e: oh ya, what should I do to his eyes?

Mondian fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 18, 2010

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NecronSchmecron posted:

This on top of my oath this month. It's for a commission, btw. One space marine army is enough for me right now.

What else does this commission entail? Those look really crisp.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
it entails 7 more tanks. I'm taking it slow since it's my first. I think I also put more time into it than I should have. This is pretty much the basic level I'm willing to do.

I believe he has 3 more preds, and a bunch of razorbacks. Your standard BA spamfest. :toot:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Bhyo posted:

Since I find myself unexpectedly unemployed I had a bit of time on my hands so I thought i'd do a bit of painting.

First thing I've done in a couple of months and I quite like it so have an in progress shot.

looking hot, keep us posted (and good luck with the job hunting)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

KingMob posted:

I've been fully into this hobby for 2 years and only now have a proper place to work:

Now I can work at at my usual snail's pace, but in a more comfortable fashion!

Where is this desk from? I could really use a small little workstation like that. It would be nice to have my kitchen table back.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Finished all but the base. Its amazing how much you can get done when you still get up at the usual time to go to work :negative:

The gun is most likely going to get a complete redo because it just doesnt look right in pictures. Looks decent enough in person but its just not quite there.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Krion posted:

Where is this desk from? I could really use a small little workstation like that. It would be nice to have my kitchen table back.

That, my friend, is the legendary Ikea Jerker desk, sadly no longer in production. Also, it ain't small. The picture was taken at an angle so it's hard to tell that it's about 5 feet wide and 2.5 feet deep. I still have to make some room for the notebook, speakers and dremel mount.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Oh how I wish I had a basement :smith:

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Anyone have a trip report from using Vallejo Model Air Gray Primer ?

Primarily I'm concerned with how well it stands up compared to aerosol primers when used with gaming miniatures.

Never used it myself but my understanding is that it's paint that's the color of gray primer, not actual gray primer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Bhyo posted:

Finished all but the base. Its amazing how much you can get done when you still get up at the usual time to go to work :negative:

The gun is most likely going to get a complete redo because it just doesnt look right in pictures. Looks decent enough in person but its just not quite there.

Looks great! How'd you do the wings?

• Locked thread