Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Aggro posted:

And then Fergie's verse is just completely pointless, but that's to be expected because she's loving Fergie.

WE GOING ALL THE WAY THIS TIMEEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverWolf
Jan 5, 2005
There's someone in my head, but it's not me
Aside from Aphex Twin - Avril 14th on Blame Game, has anyone identified any other samples?

I do a college radio show and one of our features is called the Back to Back Sample Pack where we play a song and then the rap song that sampled it and I'd like to get something from Kanye's new album for tonight's show but Blame Game isn't my favorite song on the album and I've never been into Aphex Twin either.

And don't tell me Power and King Crimson because we already used it :P

illcendiary posted:

Lost in the World samples Bon Iver's "Woods"

I should have mentioned that I knew this as well. Dark Fantasy or Gorgeous samples, anyone?

NeverWolf fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 17, 2010

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Lost in the World samples Bon Iver's "Woods"

bullet
Feb 20, 2003

NeverWolf posted:

I should have mentioned that I knew this as well. Dark Fantasy or Gorgeous samples, anyone?

Dark Fantasy is Mike Oldfield - In High Places

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Heard posted:

I've been having a bit of trouble seeing one foot in front of the other, so I apologize in advance if this comes off as complete, gratuitous overkill.

Re-listening again, the sheer immensity of his meticulousness, of his musical genius and attention to every feature of the beat shows that beyond hype, he created an album of immensely skilled attention to craft and mastery of hip hop, of a keenness to, and intention with, the sound of musical instrumentation in general. Every vibration and melodic switch. Every note that he adds. All the embellishments. The frantic percussion elements everywhere. It really is a classic to be treasured and admired for all ages. Say what you will about him but he certainly is trying harder than The Beatles. All the samples. Everything he did. it's all there. Production is top notch. The pauses he creates in the song, the added stuff; it goes beyond what a live rock band could ever do. Close to perfection. The notes are played as if there are musical masters playing, the flourishes underneath the main melody, a skilled black jazz pianist of another age behind the keys, which are forceful and purposeful, tactfully. And not to mention, his unexplainable ability to make each featured artist feel like an actor in a play, including himself. The vocal samples and insertions are great, too. Like he's talking back in forth. Doing stuff Lupe only wishes he could do to make his tracks live. The vocal effects are A+, as well. And amazingly, yes, the Chris Rock bit works. Unheard of. Kanye knows how to turn vocals into instrumentation, whether he modifies or modulates the vocals, and that'll probably be my last word on this album.

He was desperately grappling here, grasping for a classic, and he drat near did it. Best work he's done.

I love the album but this blurb is a whole lot of meaninglessness.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I love the beat to All of the Lights :colbert:

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

NeverWolf posted:

Aside from Aphex Twin - Avril 14th on Blame Game, has anyone identified any other samples?

Devil in a New Dress samples Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow as performed by Smokey Robinson, but that's an easy one.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

NeverWolf posted:

I do a college radio show and one of our features is called the Back to Back Sample Pack where we play a song and then the rap song that sampled it and I'd like to get something from Kanye's new album for tonight's show but Blame Game isn't my favorite song on the album and I've never been into Aphex Twin either.

And don't tell me Power and King Crimson because we already used it :P

This should help

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Heard posted:

Say what you will about him but he certainly is trying harder than The Beatles.

This is the single dumbest quote about Kanye West I've ever read.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I asked someone a question today and they replied with "Yeezy taught me." :D

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Korak posted:

Did he teach them well?

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.

Aggro posted:

Yea, I was definitely under the impression that All of the Lights is another "hip-hop personified" song, like Common's I Used to Love H.E.R. and Em's 25 to Life. The girl that he hits is Taylor Swift, and Kanye just spent the last year away from the game. When he gets back, other rappers have taken his spot (maybe Drake, as a specific example).

And then Fergie's verse is just completely pointless, but that's to be expected because she's loving Fergie.

Yeah exactly. When he talks about "her mother brother grandmother" hating him I believe he's talking the various media publicity circles surrounding television and music.

This level of awareness isn't expected from most mainstream artists so people don't look for it. Once you start looking at things that way though, Kanye's lyrics are revealed to be a lot more purposeful than they seem when you originally hear his single on the radio or whatever.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

maxnmona posted:

This is the single dumbest quote about Kanye West I've ever read.

It has caused some great rants in my house tonight.

This is a well produced album, but so many of the verses fall flat on me.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I would like to add myself to the people saying how good Rick Ross's verse on Devil in a New Dress is. I'm not a Rick Ross fan. I don't even know who he is. His 8 bars on Monster are pretty decent but somehow Kanye managed to help him hit one out of the park.

I do have to say I love the entire album, though Hell of a Life isn't a favorite. I'm seriously considering giving it a 10/10 when I review it in two weeks.

Even So Appalled is great, despite everything about it seeming terrible at first listen. My roommates and I have parroted "fuckin ridikalus" back and forth for days now.

greenTYPEWRITERS
Nov 5, 2010

by T. Finn
Should I be ashamed to admit that this has taken my number one spot this year?

It's hard to deny how well put together this album is... There is literally no overbearing weak/slow points like those found in The Suburbs (eg. "Wasted Hours"/"Half Light II"/"Sprawl") and Cosmogramma (eg. "Arkestry"/"Mmmhmm"/"Satelllliiiiiteee"/"German Haircut"). The album's a banger through and through but the ballads are probably the best tracks on the album ("Runaway"/"Blame Game"). Even the misplaced tracks are incredibly well produced and do not detract from the album very much (dem french horns on "Turn on the Lights" and bass on "Monster"!)

I think I'll need to invest in a better set of headphones and toss FlyLo and Kanye into a ring together before the year is up.. It's difficult for the majority of people to seperate the man from his undoubted talent and this album is the culmination of his developing talent and the vast influences that are ingrained in him.

There's been a bunch of talk about the Chris Rock "skit".

The same people that say they loved the old skits that Kanye used to do go on to say that they hate the Chris Rock part in Blame Game. I love it.. I loooove it. It's such a hilarious throw back to hip-hop's great use of skits and because it is a part of Blame Game you think it "nearly ruins" it? Pleeease.. sooo if it were a stand alone track, Blame Game would remain the best song on the album and you would just not like the skit? wtf brah. Makes no sense.

I don't really know anything about Rick Ross besides his name and his face and while I agree that Devil in a New Dress isn't the greatest song on the album I don't have enough pre-empted hate against Ross to think that his verse isn't decent. He's got a good voice... It has the type of beat that I usually love but even that gets repetitive. I think it might be my favourite verse by Kanye, which is what saves it. SATANNN SATANNNN SATANNNNNN. Either way it def could do without Ross.

I agree that Gorgeous is pretty bland.. and at first I hated that Kanye blatently copped Mos Def's style on the track buuuut who really cares if someone else uses distortion and poo poo. I like the hook but it gets repetitive. Rae is great as always. This track needs to be played loud to get the effect that I assume is needed. But you're right.. it needs either an instrumental change or an added featuring artist to take this track further. It's too long for what it is but I'm nitpicking a ton.. still a very good track.

I should also mention that he put on the best performance that SNL has seen since who the gently caress knows.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy [2010]

1| Dark Fantasy :: 4.5
2| Gorgeous [ft. Kid Cudi & Raekwon] :: 4
3| Power :: 4.5
4| All Of The Lights (Interlude) :: 4
5| All Of The Lights [ft. Rihanna] :: 4
6| Monster [ft. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver] :: 4
7| So Appalled [ft. Jay-Z, Pusha T, Prynce Cy Hi, Swizz Beatz & The RZA] :: 4.5
8| Devil In A New Dress [ft. Rick Ross] :: 4.25
9| Runaway [ft. Pusha T] :: 4.75
10| Hell Of A Life :: 4.25
11| Blame Game [ft. John Legend] :: 5
12| Lost In The World [ft. Bon Iver] :: 4.25
13| Who Will Survive In America :: 4

Overall :: 56 / 65 :: 86.15%

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Korak posted:

Between my cousin and I this has become a running thing on facebook, then a girl got involved and I told her "Yeezy taught her well." Will update when I "Reupholster her pussy." I don't even like Chris Rock and I love that skit, I can't skip it even though I want to get back into the song.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

greenTYPEWRITERS posted:

Cosmogramma (eg. "Arkestry"/"Mmmhmm"/"Satelllliiiiiteee"/"German Haircut").
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy [2010]

1| Dark Fantasy :: 4.5
2| Gorgeous [ft. Kid Cudi & Raekwon] :: 4
3| Power :: 4.5
4| All Of The Lights (Interlude) :: 4
5| All Of The Lights [ft. Rihanna] :: 4
6| Monster [ft. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver] :: 4
7| So Appalled [ft. Jay-Z, Pusha T, Prynce Cy Hi, Swizz Beatz & The RZA] :: 4.5
8| Devil In A New Dress [ft. Rick Ross] :: 4.25
9| Runaway [ft. Pusha T] :: 4.75
10| Hell Of A Life :: 4.25
11| Blame Game [ft. John Legend] :: 5
12| Lost In The World [ft. Bon Iver] :: 4.25
13| Who Will Survive In America :: 4

Overall :: 56 / 65 :: 86.15%

1. Mmmhmm, Satelllliiiiiteee, and German Haircut are arguably the three best songs on Cosmogramma (throw in Zodiac poo poo and you're good).

2. Is it necessary to make your album review look like you're grading a midterm paper? I mean christ... Pitchfork gets crap for assigning a number 1-10 to an album, you're going down to hundredths of percents? :psyduck:

hatersg2haet
Nov 10, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Not a Bad Album. Missing a lot of cuts that should be on it. Featuring a lot of cuts that shouldn't. Definitely needed more Bon Iver, for all the supposed poo poo they recorded, I mean Justin was saying that they spent 50 hours in the studio in Hawaii in one week, there has to be more content and Lost in The World is by far the most innovative track on there.

Kanye really branched out stylistically here, but he didn't branch out with the artists he featured outside of Bon Iver. I mean most of these guys are the same folks he's always worked with. He can sample anything and make it friendly to the Jay-Z crew. Where's the work produced by Girl Talk, Danger Mouse, or Madlib? With so much work done with Q-Tip where is De La Soul. Why not have alternative and independent rappers make a strong appearance on a Kanye album for once? Mf Doom, Aesop Rock, Das Racist, are all worthy of this more than loving Swizz Beatz and T-Pain.

Kanye West has shown himself as a transformative figure being one of the biggest artists to move away from the Gangster top 40 rap influence he inherited from Jay-Z. Nonetheless he still manages to feature enough Gangster rappers on this album to make me a bit sick. I'm just surprised Ludacris didn't show up. And most of the cuts featuring Lupe Fiasco and Kid Cudi were not featured nearly strong enought, not even mentioning that he could of worked with Mos Def and The Roots.

But I digress, it's a good album. The sad thing is it could of been a better one. Kanye built a lot of good Producers into this album from himself to Q-Tip and Boi-Rida. But with all that possibility of a new direction behind the scene Kanye took a predictable route with his guests here.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

hatersg2haet posted:

Not a Bad Album. Missing a lot of cuts that should be on it. Featuring a lot of cuts that shouldn't. Definitely needed more Bon Iver, for all the supposed poo poo they recorded, I mean Justin was saying that they spent 50 hours in the studio in Hawaii in one week, there has to be more content and Lost in The World is by far the most innovative track on there.

Kanye really branched out stylistically here, but he didn't branch out with the artists he featured outside of Bon Iver. I mean most of these guys are the same folks he's always worked with. He can sample anything and make it friendly to the Jay-Z crew. Where's the work produced by Girl Talk, Danger Mouse, or Madlib? With so much work done with Q-Tip where is De La Soul. Why not have alternative and independent rappers make a strong appearance on a Kanye album for once? Mf Doom, Aesop Rock, Das Racist, are all worthy of this more than loving Swizz Beatz and T-Pain.

Kanye West has shown himself as a transformative figure being one of the biggest artists to move away from the Gangster top 40 rap influence he inherited from Jay-Z. Nonetheless he still manages to feature enough Gangster rappers on this album to make me a bit sick. I'm just surprised Ludacris didn't show up. And most of the cuts featuring Lupe Fiasco and Kid Cudi were not featured nearly strong enought, not even mentioning that he could of worked with Mos Def and The Roots.

But I digress, it's a good album. The sad thing is it could of been a better one. Kanye built a lot of good Producers into this album from himself to Q-Tip and Boi-Rida. But with all that possibility of a new direction behind the scene Kanye took a predictable route with his guests here.

T-Pain isn't on the album? Also Bon Iver, Elton John, Nicki Minaj etc these are not predictable Kanye guests? I get it's everyone's opinion once more but really, some of these "complaints" are quite funny. I wish he did a Lightspeed Champion feature but I'm not mad :)

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

hatersg2haet posted:

Maybe, but think about it. Dude has been releasing a new track almost every single week for quite a while now. Sure it might not all be on one album, but Ye's been putting out mad material lately

hatersg2haet
Nov 10, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Bonye West posted:

T-Pain isn't on the album? Also Bon Iver, Elton John, Nicki Minaj etc these are not predictable Kanye guests? I get it's everyone's opinion once more but really, some of these "complaints" are quite funny. I wish he did a Lightspeed Champion feature but I'm not mad :)

I was criticizing T-Pain being on the album.

As for Nicki Minaj after the Drake thign she's pretty drat mainstream. As for Elton John, it's not like rappers haven't worked with him before (I'm looking at you eminem)

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
T-Pain isn't on the album. You're thinking of The Good Life from Graduation.

The MTV Awards performance of Stan is literally the only other time Elton John has worked with a rapper.

Also, Sir Elton should have done one chorus of So Appalled. Preferably right after RZA's.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If you're not sure what Rick Ross' music is typically like click this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCeEN-VVSac

What you're hearing on Devil In A New Dress is kind of a divergence for the self-proclained 'Boss'.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

hatersg2haet posted:

I was criticizing T-Pain being on the album.

As for Nicki Minaj after the Drake thign she's pretty drat mainstream. As for Elton John, it's not like rappers haven't worked with him before (I'm looking at you eminem)

Stop being wrong please I'm trying to do this the right way but you're making it hard. There is no T-Pain feature on this album as said by two people now. Eminem is one guy, so one rapper has used him? I really don't know what you want aside from Kanye to work with strictly lesser known rappers or heralded "underground" types? He's worked with Mos before as well so I'm not sure why that wouldn't be considered going back to the well again.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
He wants Kanye to be the white man's wet dream and work with strictly backpack artists, creating the ultimate Conscious Hip-Hop Supergroup featuring The Roots, Aesop Rock and Girl Talk, instead of being a top-selling pop artist that produced a large proportion of Jay-Z's sickening Gangster hits and seems to be more interested in bridging the gap between Bon Iver and Rick Ross than giving Das Racist a leg up. Lupe's not on the album either.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Role Play McMurphy posted:

He wants Kanye to be the white man's wet dream and work with strictly backpack artists, creating the ultimate Conscious Hip-Hop Supergroup featuring The Roots, Aesop Rock and Girl Talk, instead of being a top-selling pop artist that produced a large proportion of Jay-Z's sickening Gangster hits and seems to be more interested in bridging the gap between Bon Iver and Rick Ross than giving Das Racist a leg up. Lupe's not on the album either.

:hfive: I mean, you want obscure features, how many people could honestly say they knew of Bon Iver, or more to the point that's not the dude's actual name. I remember being 16 and feeling like a vanguard of hip-hop too :allears: Kanye West, simultaneously both a genius and not innovative enough.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I support Kanye working with Aesop Rock, if only because it means he's a step closer to working with John Darnielle, which would produce the greatest album of all time.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
The ending of the Power Remix (the whole "I've got the power" segment) is driving me nuts. The bass, the pace and that weird delivery, so mean, so cool. It's easily one of my favorite moments on a Kanye album.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Sisgmund posted:

working with John Darnielle, which would produce the greatest album of all time.

Dayummmm
Pretty sure the world would implode, one of the best possible collabs of all time

greenTYPEWRITERS
Nov 5, 2010

by T. Finn

Superchunk posted:

1. Mmmhmm, Satelllliiiiiteee, and German Haircut are arguably the three best songs on Cosmogramma (throw in Zodiac poo poo and you're good).

2. Is it necessary to make your album review look like you're grading a midterm paper? I mean christ... Pitchfork gets crap for assigning a number 1-10 to an album, you're going down to hundredths of percents? :psyduck:

Haters gonna hate.. I feel that it is a more just way to actually back-up a mark that an album receives rather just tossing a random number or grade at it.. and you couldn't be more wrong about Cosmogramma breeeeh. What does anything have to do with pitchfork?

Cosmogramma [2010]

1| Clock Catcher :: 4.5
2| Pickled! :: 4.25
3| Nose Art :: 4
4| Intro / A Cosmic Drama :: 4
5| Zodiac poo poo :: 4.75
6| Computer Face / Pure Being :: 4.5
7| ...and the World Laughs With You [ft. Thom Yorke] :: 4.5
8| Arkestry :: 4
9| Mmmhmm [ft. Thundercat] :: 3.75
10| Do the Astral Plane :: 4.5
11| Satelllliiiiiteee :: 3.75
12| German Haircut :: 3.75
13| Recoiled :: 4.25
14| Dance of the Pseudo Nymph :: 4
15| Drips / Auntie's Harp :: 4.25
16| Table Tennis [ft. Laura Darlington] :: 4.5
17| Galaxy in Janaki :: 4.25

Overall :: 71.82 / 85 :: 84.11%

The system, for the most part, works.. it'll be interesting once I review albums like Lift Yr Skinny Fists...

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/greenTYPEWRITERScritic/top_albums_of_2010

greenTYPEWRITERS fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 18, 2010

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I give this album a 7.3625. I'd have gone up to a 7.3628 but the length of some of the tracks brought it down by 0.0003.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Sisgmund posted:

I support Kanye working with Aesop Rock, if only because it means he's a step closer to working with John Darnielle, which would produce the greatest album of all time.

God? God are you listening? Please?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYLPNGZM9JU

This video is kinda dope as gently caress.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
:O that was dope

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Brett824 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYLPNGZM9JU

This video is kinda dope as gently caress.
Asians are the coolest people on Earth.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

iTunes had a version of the album without Monster which I apparently pre-ordered somehow (pretty sure it was there when I pre-ordered it).

loving awesome.

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008

greenTYPEWRITERS posted:

Should I be ashamed to admit that this has taken my number one spot this year?

No, I completely agree.

I've always liked, been interested in, and enjoyed all of Kanye's records, but this really feels like the best record to come out this year. As much as I love rap, it's rare that I find every song and verse to compliment the album as a whole. Honestly, the last hip hop album that hit me this hard immediately was "Hell Hath No Fury". I haven't listened to that Clipse record in a long time, but I still find myself getting verses from it randomly stuck in my head. MBDTF feels like it'll do this, too. In that sense, it might be my favorite rap album in half a decade.

I haven't read much of this thread at all, but I'm sure there's been talk of Kanye's production being infinitely better than his rapping. Honestly, I feel that he's made HUGE strides in his abilities as an MC. His "flow" seems better, and he's had some of the best lines I've heard dropped this year. I just love everything about Kanye on it.

Rae's verse on "Gorgeous" is up to his typical standards. I'm a huge Pusha-T fan and his verses are excellent as well. Jay-Z and (especially) Nicki Minaj steal the show on "Monster", but Kanye's way more interesting on this record. It's this aspect alone that makes me think it's his best album.

The only negative aspect to me is the mastering. It sounds really good coming from a car stereo, but there's clipping all over the place that I notice when listening to it on good headphones.

greenTYPEWRITERS posted:

I should also mention that he put on the best performance that SNL has seen since who the gently caress knows.

Agreed, again. Probably the best SNL performance since Radiohead in 2000, in my opinion.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

THAT'S THE JOKE.

cymbalrush posted:

The only negative aspect to me is the mastering. It sounds really good coming from a car stereo, but there's clipping all over the place that I notice when listening to it on good headphones.

I haven't noticed this at all, and I'm using some Senheiser studio headphones. But yeah I've heard opinions all over the place about the production/mastering. Weird.

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008

Bubble Bathory posted:

I haven't noticed this at all, and I'm using some Senheiser studio headphones. But yeah I've heard opinions all over the place about the production/mastering. Weird.

What model Sennheiser?

I'm listening on some Sennheiser HD-595s. I'll try it out on my HD-580s and my friend's AKG 701's, but a lot of the Senns seem pretty sensitive in general to clipping. I don't have a good stereo setup to try it out on though. Weird, indeed.

edit: I should mention that a lot of rap records sound mediocre on "good headphones" so I'm not faulting the record too much in this regard.

cymbalrush fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greenTYPEWRITERS
Nov 5, 2010

by T. Finn

Bubble Bathory posted:

Well I know that the "320kbps" version that I have is a transcode of a V2 and I'm pretty sure that a truly legit V0 version of the album has not been released yet... so I'm pretty sure that your complaints can be summed up by the fact that the version that you have is not the exact same quality version that will be released on Tuesday.

• Locked thread