Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

Facial Fracture posted:

Who were/are some good Central/Eastern-European writers I probably haven't heard of? (I've read the Big Russians; leaving them aside, you can assume a fair degree of ignorance on my part.) I'd particularly like to read some Polish stuff.

For Poles, I can recommend Witold Gombrowicz (novels have a strong absurdist streak, but the underlying themes are a lot stronger and he has a more coherent vision than most absurdists; one of my favourite authors), Tadeusz Borowski (Auschwitz-lit, but full of gossip and opportunism), Wislawa Szymborska (a poet, but she has a very chatty colloquial style and is fixated on history and art) and Bruno Schulz (childhood rendered in some sort of surreal half-mythical style). Going a little older, Boleslaw Prus is the big 19th century writer, but he suffers a bit from serialised-novelist syndrome, so his books can be a little overpadded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I recommend this Lovecraft collection, The Road to Madness: http://www.amazon.com/Road-Madness-H-P-Lovecraft/dp/0345384229/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290011299&sr=8-4. It's got "At the Mountains of Madness", which like ShutteredIn said is probably one of his best, but also contains a lot of other good short fiction.

I've also got this one, The Best of H.P. Lovecraft, which I recommend too: http://www.amazon.com/Best-H-P-Lovecraft-Bloodcurdling/dp/0345350804/ref=pd_sim_b_2. It contains "The Call of Cthulhu", "The Dunwich Horror", and a bunch of others that are good too.

I haven't read all of Lovecraft's work, but from my experience I'd recommend sticking to the short stories, the novels aren't nearly as good.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Daveski posted:

I haven't read all of Lovecraft's work, but from my experience I'd recommend sticking to the short stories, the novels aren't nearly as good.

I recommend just not reading any of it. His approach to horror basically boils down to "And then John walked through the door and saw... something really scary! It was totally spooky I promise! I'm super serious guys. If you saw it you'd pee your pants! Have I said how scary it was yet?"

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Hedrigall posted:

I recommend just not reading any of it. His approach to horror basically boils down to "And then John walked through the door and saw... something really scary! It was totally spooky I promise! I'm super serious guys. If you saw it you'd pee your pants! Have I said how scary it was yet?"

WOW! Thanks for the super awesome recommendations. You totally helped me out there.

Thanks a million.

It's exactly what I was looking for! :allears:

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

inktvis posted:

For Poles, I can recommend Witold Gombrowicz (novels have a strong absurdist streak, but the underlying themes are a lot stronger and he has a more coherent vision than most absurdists; one of my favourite authors), Tadeusz Borowski (Auschwitz-lit, but full of gossip and opportunism), Wislawa Szymborska (a poet, but she has a very chatty colloquial style and is fixated on history and art) and Bruno Schulz (childhood rendered in some sort of surreal half-mythical style). Going a little older, Boleslaw Prus is the big 19th century writer, but he suffers a bit from serialised-novelist syndrome, so his books can be a little overpadded.

Thanks! That's just the kind of stuff I was hoping for.

Jack Black
Nov 6, 2007
Alright, a cherries jubilee and that's it.

Enentol posted:

WOW! Thanks for the super awesome recommendations. You totally helped me out there.

Thanks a million.

It's exactly what I was looking for! :allears:

Why do some people get so drat offended by comments? You look like a loving 12 year old responding like that to him.

(Yea I know I'm pretty much doing the same, but sweet jesus just let it go and wait for a better response.)

SpunkyWeazle
Oct 31, 2010

Rhombus!
So obviously, since I'm here, I'm looking for a good read. But not just any read, one from the many, many books I own and haven't really read. I have a sad habit of buying a book I'm truly interested in and then a chapter or 2 later something comes up or happens where I don't get a chance to read much anymore. I'm trying to put an end to that, so here's a picture of the books I own and currently have on me (in the middle of a move.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/SpunkyWeazle/SANY0029.jpg

If the picture makes it too hard to read the titles I'll make a list. Figured this would be easier though.

I want to read all of them eventually, but maybe I can get some responses as to which one is maybe more fulfilling, or will really have a richer experience than the others. By the way the very bottom row is the sad collection of books I have on me and did read. And I know I'm missing my Monster Manual; it's killing me.

2 notes though. I also have Voltaire's Candide that I found only after the picture, and Eragon was a gift my grandmom got for less than a dollar at a yard sale, so while I haven't heard rave reviews about it (or at least the movie) I figure I'll give it a try one day.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Enentol posted:

I'm trying to get into the Cthulhu mythos. Where should I start? There's a ton of H.P. Lovecraft anthologies and volumes, and different versions of Call of Cthulhu. What should I pick up? (amazon.ca links would be awesome)
Read The Shadow over Innsmouth, it's short and very good. Most of the stories you can likely find online, if you really like the material the Arkham House volumes are the best.

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.

Lackadaisical posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for books like Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar? I liked the old time feel of her writing and the poetic rhythm of it.

I wonder if you might like Jeanette Winterson, especially Sexing the Cherry. Their styles aren't the same by any means - Winterson is a lot more light-hearted and a bit humourous. In that novel, interspliced with the main story, is a story of the 12 dancing princesses (from the fairy tale) and where they are "now" (about 40 years after the 12 princes came to marry them). Winterson is known for her feminist and sometimes magic realist literature. That surreal style gives her writing an interesting quality which I find a bit lyrical at times.

Other than that, I would second the recommendation of Virginia Woolf.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Enentol posted:

I'm trying to get into the Cthulhu mythos. Where should I start? There's a ton of H.P. Lovecraft anthologies and volumes, and different versions of Call of Cthulhu. What should I pick up? (amazon.ca links would be awesome)

Get this and you'll have everything in one sexy volume.

Or you can check out some much, much higher quality Mythos stories in this volume, though it is a bit pricey.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What is the absolute, drizzling loving shiznit, I-know-nothing-and-would-like-a-broad-base-of-knowledge-to-work-from anthology of poetry? I would like to buy a book and have the most important poems there are (preferrably with biographical snapshots and a quick analysis of the poem).

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What is the absolute, drizzling loving shiznit, I-know-nothing-and-would-like-a-broad-base-of-knowledge-to-work-from anthology of poetry? I would like to buy a book and have the most important poems there are (preferrably with biographical snapshots and a quick analysis of the poem).

One book, expensive new but used you can get it for 10 bucks: http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Anthology-Poetry-Margaret-Ferguson/dp/0393979210/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290204756&sr=8-1

1500 pages, spans pretty much all of english language poetry, isn't too heavily biased on making up the numbers. And Nortons should always have decent bios before each major poet.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Will be grabbing something soon.

Private Snowball
Jul 22, 2007

Ride the Snide
I just finished Nothing to Envy:Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick and now I want to read more first hand accounts of living in a communist state. I'm interested in the Great Leap Forward, Soviet Union and easing out of communism with figures like Deng Xiaoping. Like I said I'd prefer it to be accounts from people who lived during the times because I am familiar with the events historically.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

QVT posted:

One book, expensive new but used you can get it for 10 bucks: http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Anthology-Poetry-Margaret-Ferguson/dp/0393979210/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290204756&sr=8-1

1500 pages, spans pretty much all of english language poetry, isn't too heavily biased on making up the numbers. And Nortons should always have decent bios before each major poet.
That is fantastic, thank you very much for the recommendation!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Ornamented Death posted:

Or you can check out some much, much higher quality Mythos stories in this volume, though it is a bit pricey.

This looks awesome, but I can't bring myself to spend $50 on a single book.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Private Snowball posted:

I just finished Nothing to Envy:Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick and now I want to read more first hand accounts of living in a communist state. I'm interested in the Great Leap Forward, Soviet Union and easing out of communism with figures like Deng Xiaoping. Like I said I'd prefer it to be accounts from people who lived during the times because I am familiar with the events historically.

what an fascinating, devastating book - i found Guy Delisle's Pyongyang graphic novel to be a nice companion (he evens brings accordions into it!). while it doesn't deal as much with life under communist rule as Nothing to Envy, Dean King's Unbound is an amazing account of the women that were part of the Mao's Long March.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Daveski posted:

This looks awesome, but I can't bring myself to spend $50 on a single book.

That's understandable. To be fair, I got my copy at Dragon*Con from a dealer that probably didn't realize that funny little symbol meant pounds sterling and the cost in USD would be nearly double.

Though, to be perfectly honest with you, if that price stops you in your tracks, I wouldn't venture too much farther into this particular offshoot of the horror genre, as $50 tends to be the entry point for most of the good stuff.

hatersg2haet
Nov 10, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I need a recommendation for books to take my friend whose in rehab. All the books I have are depressing, and I don't think someone whose basically in jail want's to read The Stranger.

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc
I just finished Let the Right One In (no movie adaptation crap) and before that House of Leaves is my crusade to read more. Before that, Paradise Lost and Harris' Hannibal Lector stuff. I'm loving books like these, and I'm looking for more! Please recommend away...

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Looking for something along the lines of Bukowski. I've been reading Raymond Carver as well lately and am up for some suggestions on other writers in this style.

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

That was a stupid thing to say. And you're stupid for saying it.
I'm looking for books that are compilations of interesting scientific studies. Like "Quirkology", "Elephants on Acid", or "Supersense".

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I'm looking for mystery books based in Alaska, or the Pacific Northwest. Anything from Oregon, to Alaska, and everything in between. Something like the Alex McKnight series from Scott Hamilton. That is a series about an ex-cop who moves to Northern Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and gets dragged into various cases, some murder, some not. Mostly mystery-ish. Something Goon approved would be awesome.

Thanks

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Flyboy925 posted:

I'm looking for mystery books based in Alaska, or the Pacific Northwest.

Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak series is set in Alaska. JA Jance's JP Beaumont series and Earl Emeerson's Thomas Black series are both set in Seattle. William Deverrell writes excellent legal thrillers based mostly in Vancouver and small towns on Vancouver Island. I'll vouch for the quality of the latter two authors.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Christmas time's a-coming and I'm looking for a book to get my little sister.

She's early twenties but she's only ever really read Twilight and some YA chick-li(gh)t. Wondering what the next logical step between "Twilight" and "a good book" would be?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Evfedu posted:

She's early twenties but she's only ever really read Twilight and some YA chick-li(gh)t. Wondering what the next logical step between "Twilight" and "a good book" would be?

This is an easy one. Harry Potter.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Grawl posted:

This is an easy one. Harry Potter.

is the correct answer, but a teenage early 20s girl who's only read Twilight is likely to look at you and laugh derisively for giving her "a dumb book for kids"

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Hedrigall posted:

is the correct answer, but a teenage early 20s girl who's only read Twilight is likely to look at you and laugh derisively for giving her "a dumb book for kids"

But then how do you bridge the gap? :ohdear:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Grawl posted:

I don't know :negative:

If I did, I would be able to get my sisters (15 and 22) into reading.

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc

Evfedu posted:

The Magician's, Lev Grossman

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Grawl posted:

Diana Gabaldon's books might be a step up from the Twilight Series and are accessible.

EDIT: VVVV 7 y.o. bitch's first suggestion would be a lot better than Gabaldon.

Another EDIT: Maybe The Mill on the Floss, Atonement or Never Let Me Go.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 27, 2010

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

Evfedu posted:

Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale or Susan Faludi's Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I vote Sunshine by Robin McKinley. It's sort of the anti-twilight in terms of vampire attractiveness, and McKinley has written a lot of YA-but-works-for-adult-readers books. For someone just getting into reading for pleasure it's a nice safe option.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

DirtyRobot posted:

EDIT: VVVV 7 y.o. bitch's first suggestion would be a lot better than Gabaldon.

Another EDIT: Maybe The Mill on the Floss, Atonement or Never Let Me Go.

That was a half-joke post, but yeah, Atwood probably would be pretty good, especially since your sister's probably read and loved 1984 like every other high schooler in history. Atonement is really fantastic as well, and Eliot is always wonderful, although I don't if lengthy books are always the way to go for gifts unless you know the person already loves that author. There are also complete editions of, like, Jane Austen's novels that are nice as gifts, and she's probably already read one or two, if not all of them.

I just see no reason to try to get people to increasingly "scale-up" their reading, going from "easiest" to "hardest" or something like that. What people read depends on what their reading for. Unless you're a scholar or Romanticist, the kind of person who wants to read Keats is going to be completely different from the kind of person who wants to read Byron. Like, Evfedu, are you trying to get her to just read more? To read "better" things? Why do you care if she reads "better" things? Do you think she needs to be smarter and reading better things makes you smarter? Is she not happy? Is she, in your opinion, too happy, or too naive? Do you think she's never had the deep emotional experience of a "good book" and is missing out on a something incredibly valuable? Do you think she's becoming an automaton? Do you think it will harm her future job/love prospects? Do you just want to have a book you can both talk about? Like, what's the reason you have for wanting to push a book on her, as a gift, that you aren't sure she wants?

Complete Austen would be the safest route, imho. I can't imagine anyone being upset about that, and most people would like it or even love it. Of course, this is coming from a person who wants his dad to buy him the complete works of Hegel for Christmas, so grain of salt and all that.

e: I'm just thinking of my own reading experience. The book that got me "into reading" was Hardy's Jude the Obscure, and it was during Sophomore or Junior year of high school, and the reason I picked it up was because I thought most of what we read in English class was too easy/sentimental/obvious, and so I wanted to read something that was more difficult and completely unsentimental. So I was walking in Barnes and Noble and thought their Classics series books looked nice and looked through any of the titles that I had never heard of before and read the back covers, and when the cover described Jude the Obscure as having "one of the most shocking endings in literature," I was thinking, "I have to read this! Why haven't I been told about this!" And then I read it over just a couple of days, the first time I really devoured a book, and the first time I ever felt a lasting sort of resonance with a novel, something that actually changed who I was and how I looked on the world. I can guarantee you that absolutely no one in their right mind would have given me (or anyone else) Jude the Obscure as a gift. It was just will and fate. I feel like that sort of thing, a nascent curiosity for reading literature, is much more likely to be the spark of a productive reading career, but I don't think like you can force that on anyone, especially through a gift. Conversational namedropping might work, especially if you describe the emotion that attended reading something, but that's all I can really think of, especially for someone that old.

7 y.o. bitch fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 27, 2010

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Now that I'm thinking about it a little bit more, especially in light of Hedrigall's astute observation that she won't want to read something "for little kids," you could get her Flannery O'Connor's Complete Stories, which have a conversational feel with the sort of gothic element that people read Twilight for (not to compare the two at all, but you know what I mean). I think that might be perfect. Or there's The Lovely Bones, which I can't stand, but a lot of people really love.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The Norton Anthology that QVT posted is really good, and it's pretty much considered the definition of the canon of English and American poetry. However, I think a better on-your-own "student" text is the Wadsworth Anthology of Poetry, since it's organized around genres and themes, has very helpful, if basic, introductions, and has some more "exotic" poems that aren't strictly canonical, but are definitely fun.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1413014151/ref=ord_cart_shr

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grawl posted:

'Salem's Lot.

Sgt. Pepper09
Dec 12, 2008

I want to get into some good Russian literature. I know there is a thread around here somewhere but I can't seem to locate it. Any recommendations?

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD

Sgt. Pepper09 posted:

I want to get into some good Russian literature. I know there is a thread around here somewhere but I can't seem to locate it. Any recommendations?

Besides the obligatory Tolstoi and Dostoevsky, there's Gogol, Pushkin, Turgenev, Chekhov, Gorky, Brodsky, Kruchenykh, Mayakovsky, Bely, and Grossman among others, but those are some big names. Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate might be a great place to start since it's the best Russian novel of the last century, or you might want to go with Turgenev's Fathers and Sons, the first Russian novel to gain prominence in Western literary circles, or if you want the best Russian Modernist/Symbolist novel, there's Andrei Bely's Petersburg.

7 y.o. bitch fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

Sgt. Pepper09 posted:

You should start at the beginning with A Hero of Our Time. It doesn't have a lot in common with something like War and Peace, if that was the line you wanted to follow, but it's probably an easier starting point. You can get the Nabokov translation here: http://www.amazon.com/Hero-Our-Time-Worlds-classics/dp/0875010490/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290852506&sr=8-1 but it was a big gap between me reading the standard translation, don't know too much on how essential it is.

Gogol's short stories are some of the most unique and original that you'll ever read, all collected and newly translated here: http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Tales-Nikolai-Gogol/dp/0375706151/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290852324&sr=8-2 )

You're also welcome to read Nabokov's severely underrated and underdiscussed Russian years, especially Mary, Laughter in the Dark, and Despair.

Despair which I would argue for being the best Russian novel of the last century, but wildly different from Life and Fate, something more aptly called the best Russian Novel of the last century :D