Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

NJ Deac posted:

Also, I hope you've mailed in your application to the PTO, because they take at least a couple of weeks (longer if you're a CS grad from a non-ABET college) to process, and then you have to schedule time at a ProMetric facility (which can be annoyingly difficult if you don't want to drive hours to a remote facility on exam day). The patent bar is no joke, so if you haven't started to study, you need to get on it immediately. Most of the home study programs are about 50 hours of lecture and a ton of sample questions, so if you're going to get through one before the end of the year, you're running out of time.
Yeah all my PTO stuff is in, what I meant is I have a month-left in my three-month window to take it. I went ahead and scheduled it for 12/17 since that had dates free in nearby Prometric centers.

When I was on the IP journal in law school I was told by students that if you took a bunch of patent electives, a week of solid studying is enough to pass and that the main skills are familiarity with the MPEP and a solid grasp of CTRL+F for the online copy you get. I don't really have much interest in lectures since I always learn best by reading which is why I'll likely buy some secondhand materials from one of those courses off eBay and cram for a week and call it good. Worked for the TX bar. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Elotana posted:

Yeah all my PTO stuff is in, what I meant is I have a month-left in my three-month window to take it. I went ahead and scheduled it for 12/17 since that had dates free in nearby Prometric centers.

When I was on the IP journal in law school I was told by students that if you took a bunch of patent electives, a week of solid studying is enough to pass and that the main skills are familiarity with the MPEP and a solid grasp of CTRL+F for the online copy you get. I don't really have much interest in lectures since I always learn best by reading which is why I'll likely buy some secondhand materials from one of those courses off eBay and cram for a week and call it good. Worked for the TX bar. :shobon:

I suppose that depends upon what electives your school offered and how much of them you retained. If all you've studied is a basic survey of 101/102/103/112, then you probably have a rude awakening ahead of you. If you've actually dealt with the nitty-gritty of PTO practice, then you're probably in much better shape (Check out chapter 700 of the MPEP - if everything in there is old hat, then you're probably ok with just studying the more narrow chapters I guess).

For perspective, I've been drafting and prosecuting patent applications for two years now, and plenty of the lecture material was either new stuff, or stuff I'd always just relied on paralegals/docketing software to handle. On the other hand, some of the lectures made me roll my eyes because they were stuff that was completely second nature by now. YMMV.

The simplest way to see how screwed you are is to take one of the practice tests from the PTO website. Either you'll come away feeling pretty good about your chances or you'll get scared straight (I was scared straight).

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 17, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mrtoodles posted:

Don'tgonojobsdiealone story hits locally.

I went to school with this girl and she worked in our office.

http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=106260&catid=2&GID=xbnknwelvYtY8la8feObgB/op4Knf9dkvCl1RlW1CGQ%3D

Link includes 4 minute video news story.
Also known as gently caress this gay earth.
I'm going to become a prison guard, that looks like a growth industry

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Elotana posted:

Law thread what is the best plan to study for the patent bar. I have a month left to take it and I don't want to spend a lot of money on a self-prep course (I'll buy secondhand materials off eBay if someone recommends their books specifically but that's about it).
I just took assloads of practice tests, studied for about a week. Passed on the first try.

I had been doing about 20% patent prosecution for a few years though.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Random legal advice goin' on in this thread:

Minecraft's creator should sue a guy making Minecraft refrigerator magnets!

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but The Economist says going to law school is bad so now it's definitely true

http://www.economist.com/node/17461573?story_id=17461573&fsrc=rss

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vander posted:

Random legal advice goin' on in this thread:

Minecraft's creator should sue a guy making Minecraft refrigerator magnets!

Minecraft law is the best law.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

entris posted:

Minecraft law is the best law.

I don't wanna make the big bucks or anything, I'll be happy to live comfortably on $80k a year doing Minecraft Law

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If you want some real law-related humor, take a look here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

evilweasel posted:

If you want some real law-related humor, take a look here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php
That was a good idea. . . .
Does SA need a lawyer/soon to be prison guard?

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS

_areaman posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but The Economist says going to law school is bad so now it's definitely true

http://www.economist.com/node/17461573?story_id=17461573&fsrc=rss

It doesn't matter when the economy picks up tons of law students will get jobs plus a law degree is so malleable you can do anything the sky is the limit.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evilweasel posted:

I always thought the dudes in LF who were all "DTA DTI :D we're havin a good time here!!" were being pretty stupid in that not only was their poo poo not funny, but if they ever planned to apply for anything with a real security clearance the conversation would be interesting. "No, you see, it was ironic. Heh, heh. *pulls at collar*"

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

gvibes posted:

I just took assloads of practice tests, studied for about a week. Passed on the first try.

I had been doing about 20% patent prosecution for a few years though.

I had zero patent experience, but that's a condensed version of what I did. I studied the PLI materials for a couple of months (especially the old tests) and passed on the first try.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

hypocrite lecteur posted:

I always thought the dudes in LF who were all "DTA DTI :D we're havin a good time here!!" were being pretty stupid in that not only was their poo poo not funny, but if they ever planned to apply for anything with a real security clearance the conversation would be interesting. "No, you see, it was ironic. Heh, heh. *pulls at collar*"

Oh well.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
The Korilla truck is pretty good.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Petey posted:

Oh well.

So is Lowtax serious or what I don't really "get" the other forums. I used to post in Helldump but making fun of people is something I understand.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

billion dollar bitch posted:

The Korilla truck is pretty good.

It really is, I hope it sticks around.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Defleshed posted:

So is Lowtax serious or what I don't really "get" the other forums. I used to post in Helldump but making fun of people is something I understand.

It is seriously the case that a few posters posting 'I am going to assassinate Barack Obama' in LF got Lowtax a subpoena from the Secret Service.

In other news: people are idiots on the Internet.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

:stare:

quote:

Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski is venturing into television with a drama project at Fox, which puts a supernatural twist on the cop/legal genre. Titled Magical Law, the project is being written by Pirates scribe Terry Rossio. It is set in a world where the existence of supernatural beings is commonplace and follows the specialized cops and lawyers who face the unique challenges of prosecuting otherworldly crimes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Like if Harvey Birdman tried to be serious?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Petey posted:

It is seriously the case that a few posters posting 'I am going to assassinate Barack Obama' in LF got Lowtax a subpoena from the Secret Service.

In other news: people are idiots on the Internet.

To law enforcement: there are like 3477237878324 subforums on this site and not all of us are retards, please don't make us all fail background checks

(unless they post in ADTRW, imprison + gas the lot of them)

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Wasn't the bad guy on Charmed some kind of lawyer wizard?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

diospadre posted:

Wasn't the bad guy on Charmed some kind of lawyer wizard?

Monstroso from the Venture Brothers is the best.

"He's a lawyer AND a supervillain!"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That's so great that the SS actually monitored that poo poo and will be paying those idiots a visit.

*~Godspeed sweet gunes~*

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Number of pages produced to insurance company in response to their request for production: 5,806.

Number of pages produced by insurance company in response to my request for production: About 30.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elotana posted:

[b]When I was on the IP journal in law school I was told by students that if you took a bunch of patent electives, a week of solid studying is enough to pass and that the main skills are familiarity with the MPEP and a solid grasp of CTRL+F for the online copy you get.[b/]

Having taken and passed the patent bar right after law school, I can confirm that this is the case (minus the week of studying).

Honestly, the only important thing is knowing what chapter of the MPEP things will be in, because you can't search the entire MPEP during the test, only within a chapter.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
also is anyone hiring i need more $

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
I may have posted something out of anger. I may have then retracted it because I will not feed trolls.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That's so great that the SS actually monitored that poo poo and will be paying those idiots a visit.

*~Godspeed sweet gunes~*

As someone in LF said - there is someone at the Secret Service who has had to scroll through the RFA background and pages and pages of goatse in order to monitor threats to the President.

"we've located the threat sir, on the something awful forums. dear god...what is that man doing to his anus????"

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
pretty sure every federal worker that monitors the Internet has already seen 4chan soooo

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Petey posted:

"we've located the threat sir, on the something awful forums. dear god...what is that man doing to his anus????"

Is this lemon party some sort of terrorist movement? Let me investiga..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
gotta do the PMF online assessment. For this "Situational Judgment" test, is like a test you would take for a job where you should just always choose the most bootlicking, toadying, sell-out-your-coworkers answer? I hear there are actually right and wrong answers for this part based on what actual govt workers responded to the questions.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Petey posted:

As someone in LF said - there is someone at the Secret Service who has had to scroll through the RFA background and pages and pages of goatse in order to monitor threats to the President.

Or much more likely the guy who "joked" in that thread about alerting the secret service probably actually did it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
My prelaw advisor has invited me back to my undergrad to give a talk to his prelaw dumbs about law school and the law school experience. I have 15 minutes plus a guided question/answer session to fill.

I am considering silently taking the podium, and then wordlessly dousing myself in kerosene and setting myself ablaze. As my skin peels away and the fat of my body renders away from my now-useless meat, I will marshal the strength for one final scream of "DON'T loving GO YOU RETARDS"

(seriously what can I really tell these kids other than DONT GO YOU loving RETARDS? the LSAT average at my school is like 151, all these kids are going to end up at Cooley, with no scholly. I think my advisor is expecting a "gosh law school sure is grand" speech, but I don't have it in me. he's a nice guy and I hate to disappoint him but I will not send more skulls to the skull throne)

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 18, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

(seriously what can I really tell these kids other than DONT GO YOU loving RETARDS? the LSAT average at my school is like 151, all these kids are going to end up at Cooley, with no scholly. I think my advisor is expecting a "gosh law school sure is grand" speech, but I don't have it in me. he's a nice guy and I hate to disappoint him but I will not send more skulls to the skull throne)
The beast demands sacrifice.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

I am considering silently taking the podium, and then wordlessly dousing myself in kerosene and setting myself ablaze. As my skin peels away and the fat of my body renders away from my now-useless meat, I will marshal the strength for one final scream of "DON'T loving GO YOU RETARDS"

Print out copies of the OP and distribute them to the students as they enter the lecture before you do this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

My prelaw advisor has invited me back to my undergrad to give a talk to his prelaw dumbs about law school and the law school experience. I have 15 minutes plus a guided question/answer session to fill.

It's like The Ring, start distributing that videotape if you want to save yourself.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Is it prelaw majors because obviously you aren't going to convince any of them. If its just people with other degrees that show up because they "love to argue" then just print out HooKars and Ainsley's posts and show that them that the only thing worse than not having a legal job is having one.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Soothing Vapors posted:

I think just be completely honest about it. Approach it from a strategic perspective, people coming to the meeting want to go to law school so just lay out the facts so they can figure it out for themselves. No one appreciates being told they're wrong, no matter how wrong they happen to be, so just talk about what kinds of jobs you can get from the lower tier vs the upper tier schools.

The biggest thing people need to lose is the idea that all lawyers start with 6 figure jobs - once they realize that, like all professions, there's a huge range of salaries, they can better figure out their own odds and what kinds of options are available for them. Lay out the facts and answer questions - I don't think your prelaw adviser would want anything more from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm starting to wonder what the actual benefit is to individually briefing the cases. Honestly, I already understand the cases as is, but it just saves me hours to just read Legalines and not bother reading Yeazell's paperweight and I understand the material far better than anyone who just struggled through reading the book.

I mean, unless the test busts out with, "what's the name of the plaintiff's brother in Interational Shoe!" I'm not getting how it's any more useful.