Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Gary at DVDBeaver recommends the Sherwood BDP-5004, which is a clone of the Momitsu BDP-899 he uses for his reviews. While I've never personally used one (I have an Oppo which costs quite a bit more), I've heard great things from people who own them, and they are very affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bambi posted:

Aaand here's what you see if you try to play Metropolis in a region A player:

Bravo MoC :golfclap:

Nick, never change. :hfive:

I just realised Amazon upped my credit limit by $500, so the Sherwood is on the way. I've never been happy with my cheap Philips all-region player, so this should be a nice upgrade. The Philips doesn't upscale that well, especially on PAL.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Region B UK titles out there, but are there any good French/European or Asian locked titles worth getting?

edit: Looks like Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown are out in France.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 18, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm somewhat familiar with the Region B UK titles out there, but are there any good French/European or Asian locked titles worth getting?

Most Asian territories are region A (specifically Korea, Japan and Hong Kong, where the vast majority of Asian BD's come from). France has a wealth of great region-locked titles, but the problem is that many of them have forced French subtitles (Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown are among these, so avoid them).

Off the top of my head, here are a few region B, English-friendly French BD's that do not have forced French subtitles:

A Very Long Engagement
Bright Star
The Spanish Apartment & Russian Dolls
Fellini's Casanova
Agora
Sympathy for the Devil (One + One)
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Serpico
Lost Highway
As well as many more in the works for 2011 (Last Tango in Paris, The Shanghai Gesture, etc.)

As for the rest of Europe, there are too many to even begin to list (especially from the UK). There is also, of course, a wealth of wonderful titles from across Europe that are region free.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 18, 2010

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Bambi posted:

Gary at DVDBeaver recommends the Sherwood BDP-5004, which is a clone of the Momitsu BDP-899 he uses for his reviews. While I've never personally used one (I have an Oppo which costs quite a bit more), I've heard great things from people who own them, and they are very affordable.

Didn't either the Sherwood or the Momitsu kill region-free playback with a firmware update? That could be a problem when you run into a disc which requires a newer firmware.

It's a bit more expensive, but I had a region-modded Panasonic back home.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Any one know of a good free or cheap blu ray play program for a laptop? Got my mother the New avatar for a early Christmas present and powerdvd 8 will not play it what so ever despite updating it several times. Google seems to be telling me this is a problem with a ton of players both programs and stand alone.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

frumpsnake posted:

Didn't either the Sherwood or the Momitsu kill region-free playback with a firmware update? That could be a problem when you run into a disc which requires a newer firmware.

It's a bit more expensive, but I had a region-modded Panasonic back home.

Haven't heard about this, but that's a risk with any player that isn't hardware-modded to be region free (hence why I got the Oppo). But yeah definitely don't update the firmware until you get an answer on this.

Darth Freddy posted:

Any one know of a good free or cheap blu ray play program for a laptop? Got my mother the New avatar for a early Christmas present and powerdvd 8 will not play it what so ever despite updating it several times. Google seems to be telling me this is a problem with a ton of players both programs and stand alone.

The Avatar Collector's Edition has some brand-spankin-new DRM on it that seems to have been causing a lot of grief (much the same as the barebones Avatar BD did). It might be an issue of your drive needing new firmware, rather than PowerDVD. I'm sure lots of firmware updates for various players/drives will be rolling out over the next week or so to accommodate the new release.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Bambi posted:

Haven't heard about this, but that's a risk with any player that isn't hardware-modded to be region free (hence why I got the Oppo). But yeah definitely don't update the firmware until you get an answer on this.

The Avatar Collector's Edition has some brand-spankin-new DRM on it that seems to have been causing a lot of grief (much the same as the barebones Avatar BD did). It might be an issue of your drive needing new firmware, rather than PowerDVD. I'm sure lots of firmware updates for various players/drives will be rolling out over the next week or so to accommodate the new release.

Thanks man will check out the drivers for it. If nothing else fails I will just end up bringing over my PS3 so she can watch it. Sony seemed really on the ball with it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Darth Freddy posted:

You more than likely need a new update on the software (I've never heard of the drives themselves needing a firmware upgrade). Since the disc is so new, I doubt any of the players have released updates yet. There are no free BR playback software, and the cheapest I've ever seen is ~$60 (Arcsoft TMT on a big sale).

Bluray playback on the PC sucks rear end.

Suit and Tie
May 19, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Nick, never change. :hfive:

I just realised Amazon upped my credit limit by $500, so the Sherwood is on the way. I've never been happy with my cheap Philips all-region player, so this should be a nice upgrade. The Philips doesn't upscale that well, especially on PAL.

Ive Seen Copies of Pulp Fiction in New Zealand also, No idea of the quality but they won't have the forced subtitles like the french releases.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've heard that the Polish and Danish releases of Pulp Fiction are the best available (progressive, dual layered and region free) but I haven't seen either one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

The way the discs are stored is a little strange (though ultimately very secure), but on the whole this is one of the best (if not the single best) packages for an individual film on Blu-Ray.
Too bad the movie sucks.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:bravo:

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Darth Freddy posted:

Thanks man will check out the drivers for it. If nothing else fails I will just end up bringing over my PS3 so she can watch it. Sony seemed really on the ball with it.

The only surefire way I know of to guarantee any given bluray will play on a PC is to use anydvd hd, but that's really goddamn expensive. Otherwise it seems to be a crapshoot whether your player software will get an update or not (or whether that update will have a price tag attached).

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Futurama Volume 5 pre-order is $19.49 shipped after using coupon code QC12YT9EA at FoxConnect (beats Amazon by $15):

http://www.foxconnect.com/futurama-volume-5-blu-ray-fullscreen.html

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Scott Pilgrim had 51% sales on Blu-Ray, but was still the third place seller behind Toy Story and Grown Ups :stare:

Arrow will be releasing A Bay of Blood on Dec. 6 and Deep Red on Dec. 13

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

doctor thodt posted:

Futurama Volume 5 pre-order is $19.49 shipped after using coupon code QC12YT9EA at FoxConnect (beats Amazon by $15):

http://www.foxconnect.com/futurama-volume-5-blu-ray-fullscreen.html

Awesome, thanks a bunch for bringing this to my attention.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

I've heard that the Polish and Danish releases of Pulp Fiction are the best available (progressive, dual layered and region free) but I haven't seen either one.

I have the Danish. It's good quality and cheap and 1080p24. (the Australian is 25p@1080i50). "Only" thing wrong with the French is forced French subtitles.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 18, 2010

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Bambi posted:

Yeah, looks like it was the Sherwood:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/133684-sherwood-bdp-5004-a-2.html

quote:

If you buy the Sherwood BDP-5004 ... you could easily return it if it has the new firmware that does not allow BD region switching. Otherwise you could order a Momitsu BDP-799

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Heads up for anybody looking at that Disney Magic Rewards Bluray offer - I submitted on Friday and they sent me an email saying it shipped yesterday! 6-8 weeks my rear end!

SmackAttack
Dec 29, 2004

I eat kitties....
Just finished watching the Modern Times bluray this morning- it looks and sounds gorgeous. I just find it amazing that a movie as old as my grandparents still can make me laugh my rear end off every time. I really wish more people would give older black and white (especially silent) films more of a shot before they write them off.

I almost wore out the patience (and my paycheck) of the Barnes and Noble employees raiding their half off Criterions all week. I want to make the most of the good deals, does anyone have any recommendations?

EDIT: Speaking of older classics, has there been any word about a BR release of To Kill a Mockingbird?

SmackAttack fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 18, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SmackAttack posted:

Just finished watching the Modern Times bluray this morning- it looks and sounds gorgeous. I just find it amazing that a movie as old as my grandparents still can make me laugh my rear end off every time. I really wish more people would give older black and white (especially silent) films more of a shot before they write them off.

I almost wore out the patience (and my paycheck) of the Barnes and Noble employees raiding their half off Criterions all week. I want to make the most of the good deals, does anyone have any recommendations?

EDIT: Speaking of older classics, has there been any word about a BR release of To Kill a Mockingbird?

No release date, but it's up for pre-order on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Kill-Mockingbird-Blu-ray-Gregory-Peck/dp/B0033AI4F2/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1290100115&sr=1-3

Should be an atypical Universal disc. It had a 4K digital restoration a few years ago.

I think Blu-Ray is helping get more people into classics. In 2006, there were so many whiners about older films not needing 1080p. Most of them have shut up by now, thanks to releases like City Girl, Dr. Strangelove, The Red Shoes, and The Twilight Zone.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
For Kung-Fu fans, Jet Li's Fist Of Legend dropped down to $8.49 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00376AVIK?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00376AVIK

One of the few titles Dragon Dynasty didn't gently caress up.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

In 2006, there were so many whiners about older films not needing 1080p.

I never understood that argument.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, yeah, it was about as objectively wrong as an argument can be. The proponents of that viewpoint simply did not understand the inherent resolution in even low-quality film stock.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND still argues that "non-visual" movies do not need to be in hi-def since she has poor eyesight anyway. Wouldn't hi-def help people with poor eyesight?!

Oh, and she gets freaked out by surround sound. I think she was born in the wrong era.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Those old movies weren't even filmed in HD anyway so why even bother putting them on Blu-Ray

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Those old movies weren't even filmed in HD anyway so why even bother putting them on Blu-Ray
Because they look as amazing as intended on Blu-Ray. Almost all the movies I own on Blu-Ray are old movies.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casimir Radon posted:

Because they look as amazing as intended on Blu-Ray. Almost all the movies I own on Blu-Ray are old movies.

He was joking, but it's a bit sad how many people own hundreds of Blu-Rays yet still actually hold that opinion.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Besides, as we all know, if it doesn't come with a slipcover, there's no reason to buy it.

And I'm not gonna pay more than $17.

And it better be on sale on Black Friday.

Digibooks suck.

...did I hit all of the remaining frustrating blu-ray owner stereotypes?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

OGB posted:

Besides, as we all know, if it doesn't come with a slipcover, there's no reason to buy it.

And it better be on sale on Black Friday.

Digibooks suck.

...did I hit all of the remaining frustrating blu-ray owner stereotypes?

No, see, if you pause and zoom in 200x, you can clearly see DNR/EE where there is none on this old broadcast recording I have. MOVIE STUDIO HOW DARE YOU gently caress US WITH THIS INFERIOR TRANSFER :argh:

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 18, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eco cases. For some reason, Blu-Ray sperglords can't loving stand eco cases.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

doctor thodt posted:

Eco cases. For some reason, Blu-Ray sperglords can't loving stand eco cases.

AMAZON, WHY CAN'T YOU SHIP MY 3-PLY CARDBOARD DIGIBOOK CASE IN 4 POUNDS OF STYROFOAM PACKING PEANUTS UGGGGHHHH gently caress THIS "SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT" BULLSHIT, MY PRECIOUS BLU-RAY PACKAGING WON'T LOOK PRISTINE ON MY SHELF

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I realize though, I'm part of the problem, as I won't replace my DVD copy of BACK TO THE FUTURE with the Blu-Ray set due to the weird packaging.

But I guess that's minor, compared to the whole.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
WHY DIDN'T THEY PUT THE ENTIRE SEASON OF [insert TV show here] ON ONE DISC?! SONS OF BITCHES JUST WANT ALL MY MONEY! CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK!!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

OGB posted:

I'm guilty of this one...

I'm a cheap bitch. But I've only paid more than 19.99 fora blu-ray a handful of times, so it probably evens out.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Digibooks DO suck. :colbert:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

OGB posted:

I have over 50 Blu-Rays and I think the average cost for them is $7 last I checked. Then again, I just bought Yojimbo/Sanjuro combo, House, and Che on Blu-Ray at the BnN half off sale because I got a $75 gift card from a raffle. If I need to watch it right loving now I will Netflix it otherwise I can wait for sales or for it to become an old title.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

RichterIX posted:

I'm guilty of this one...

I'm a cheap bitch. But I've only paid more than 19.99 fora blu-ray a handful of times, so it probably evens out.

If you take out all the tv shows/documentaries out of my collection, 90% of my titles were acquired for 19.99 or less.

Even though we probably pay less per movie (adjusted for inflation)over the VHS/DVD era we're still cheapasses while buying blurays.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
I've only bought 2 or 3 blu-rays over 10 bucks in the last year.

When you're buying catalog titles there's no reason to pay more than that, unless you really like a bunch of trinkets/booklets/whatever with your movies. If you want new releases you'll have to pay whatever.

Obvious exceptions include criterion stuff and really nice box sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I'm not crapping on those who get great deals on blu-rays, because I attempt to be as thrifty as possible with this wasteful hobby of mine.

But there are some dudes who like, the DAY a title is released, post "I SURE HOPE SOMEONE HAS IT FOR <$15 DAY ONE." When the MSRP is like, $35, and it wasn't a huge movie.

It's just silly.

• Locked thread