Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Pick up any of the 2 piston dirt calipers that come standard on any one of a thousand dirtbikes, like the DRZ400. With a larger front rotor, proper pads, and fresh fluid, it'll work great.

The other thing to remember about the husky 610 at least is that it stretches cam chains like no one's buisiness, it seems like the replacement interval is roughly 10k. So you'll be replacing cam chains more often then you'll do the valves on a DRZ. And shim under bucket is about 10 minutes more work on a single than the rocker style adjusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Generally speaking the Husky 610 and 630 are going to be fantastic bikes for the street. Z3n is right about the cam chains, but 10k miles... that isn't exactly something you'll have to do every few months.

One issue with Husqvarna in the US, though this may vary depending on your region, can be parts availability. The after market is pretty slim, and parts from a dealer (if you are lucky enough to have a local Husky dealer), will probably have to be ordered in.

None of that really matters once you ride one though. A simple rule of thumb is, if you want a DRZ, get a DRZ, you'll love it. If you want a DRZ, don't ride any other SMs, or your mind will start to crave more and it wont be enough anymore.

The difference between a DRZ and a KTM 625 may not be shocking, but hopping off a DRZ onto a 610/630, 690, or any of the 'not really for the street' SMs (450s/510/525) will be mind blowing.

Last thing to keep in mind is the 2011 Husqvarna SMs are all new look and engines for the 450 and 510 (now 449 and 511) using the BMW engines, and the 630 is replacing the 610, so we should see some price drop on the previous gen which makes them even more tempting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was in love with my DRZ, it was such a hop-on-and-go and not worry about it type of bike, and oh sol flickable. It wasnt as strong as my roomies 625, but it certainly could keep up at everything except 95%. Granted I had an FCR, and fuil exhaust I want to be open to other bikes in the price range, but I feel like the typical AI question asker, as I was so in love with the DRZ.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

Generally speaking the Husky 610 and 630 are going to be fantastic bikes for the street. Z3n is right about the cam chains, but 10k miles... that isn't exactly something you'll have to do every few months.

Speak for yourself. Although I don't get to lay on the mileage that much anymore myself :(

Phat_Albert posted:

I was in love with my DRZ, it was such a hop-on-and-go and not worry about it type of bike, and oh sol flickable. It wasnt as strong as my roomies 625, but it certainly could keep up at everything except 95%. Granted I had an FCR, and fuil exhaust I want to be open to other bikes in the price range, but I feel like the typical AI question asker, as I was so in love with the DRZ.

The thing about the DRZ is really that it can be made, fairly cheaply, into just about anything you need. Not quite strong enough, just pitch a few hundred into a bore kit and cams and it'll put out around 50hp.

That's the strength of the DRZ. Of course, it's easy to end up spending a lot of money on one too...It's perfect for people who have to constantly tweak their bikes like me. I have ridden the 690 and while it's a great bike, it's just a bit too over the top for me. It's definitely ready to race, and on the street, that's just going to get me into trouble.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

The thing about the DRZ is really that it can be made, fairly cheaply, into just about anything you need. Not quite strong enough, just pitch a few hundred into a bore kit and cams and it'll put out around 50hp.

That's the strength of the DRZ. Of course, it's easy to end up spending a lot of money on one too...It's perfect for people who have to constantly tweak their bikes like me. I have ridden the 690 and while it's a great bike, it's just a bit too over the top for me. It's definitely ready to race, and on the street, that's just going to get me into trouble.

The mechanical engineer in my head cant get over the build quality and rock solidness of the DRZ. The rational person in me wants to be open to other choices, but not many stand up in the DRZ's price range.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

The mechanical engineer in my head cant get over the build quality and rock solidness of the DRZ. The rational person in me wants to be open to other choices, but not many stand up in the DRZ's price range.

I just really, really wish it had a 6th gear. That's it. For everything else, the bike does everything literally everything I want it to, from offroading to on roading to kart track to distance. The only other bike that comes close to matching up is a KTM690 but they are so expensive I just can't justify it. There a 690 for sale out here for 4500$ a little while back with 18k on it and that is the lowest I've ever seen one by about 2k. I'll probably pick up a 690 in a couple of years when the prices drop way down and I have a bit more disposable income, but that's no reason to get rid of the DRZ...

It's smooth (for a single), it can make good power, it's easy to work on, long maintenance intervals, sane oil changes. I understand it's not the most inspiring bike to look at, but it's just so good I can't give it up. It's the first bike I've had ever where I'm 9 months in and I'm not already shopping for something else. The only reason I wouldn't do that with my other bikes is because I didn't have enough money at the time. The DRZ, modded as it is, does everything I need. Stock, they're decent, but modded they become amazing. It's very much like an SV650 in that regard, astoundingly capable and good bang for the buck.

I really need to get out there and ride a 610SM just so that I know how those stack up, but the idea of replacing cam chains every 10k just kills me. I know it's not a big deal, it can be done without splitting the cases, and all that jazz, but it irritates me from a technical standpoint that it only lasts that long.

I think I'm around 4k into the current DRZ, all told, and for that amount of money I'm looking at either a beat to poo poo 610 or a fairly nice 625, or a perfectly set up DRZ, customized to exactly what I want. In a couple of years when the Sumos start to reach more mainstream status, or they fade into obscurity and prices come down, then the market will open up a bit, but for cheap/reliable/potentially fast street supermotos, you can't beat a DRZ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I knew it all along, in my heart :3:

I'll keep my eyes open for a smokin deal on a 625, but I'll probably be heading down DRZ lane again.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

I knew it all along, in my heart :3:

I'll keep my eyes open for a smokin deal on a 625, but I'll probably be heading down DRZ lane again.

Yeah, worst case, you can always trade the KTM to a guy looking to trade up on his DRZ! Sucker! :buddy:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's a pair of new "Husky" SMs out next year:

Basically they've taken a G450X and 'tarded it, and also made a big-bore model. The G450X is supposed to be a decent bit of kit isn't it? Although the placement of the coolant bottle seems a bit daft on something that's likely to end up on it's side at some point.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Basically they've taken a G450X and 'tarded it, and also made a big-bore model. The G450X is supposed to be a decent bit of kit isn't it? Although the placement of the coolant bottle seems a bit daft on something that's likely to end up on it's side at some point.

It's the G450X engine, the chassis was designed by Husqvarna though. I've noticed the crank horsepower is listed as 40, I'm certain thats a lie, my 450 dyno'ed 41 at the wheel.

It has a coolant bottle, my '04 just starts puking coolant onto the ground if it overheats, so you can't really complain about the placement.

FYI Adapting the BMW engine to the Husqvarna designs required an entirely new type of transmission. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o&feature=youtube_gdata

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I also hate how expensive the 08+ 690 sm is. I mean really? 7-8k for a used sumo? You can find the 07 690 for 5k and down but they weren't exactly a hit. But I think in about a year I'll be getting a 08 690 smc. Unless there's something better.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

hold

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 11, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It looks like someone took an electric bike and put a gas engine in it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Christoff posted:

I also hate how expensive the 08+ 690 sm is. I mean really? 7-8k for a used sumo? You can find the 07 690 for 5k and down but they weren't exactly a hit. But I think in about a year I'll be getting a 08 690 smc. Unless there's something better.

I bought my 08 SMC for $5995 from a dealer in PA with 734 miles on it. I spent a few weeks trolling various craigslist search engines and eBay motors before buying and saw a few going for around that price. All of those bikes were on the east coast or in the midwest, though, and none of them were over 7500 miles which you'd need if you live in CA and wanted to ship one in.

I wouldn't expect to see prices for 690 SMCs fall much - KTM has sold the bike largely unchanged for the past three years and just jacked the price up for the bold new color schemes.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The price of the SMC's went up 1k in 09/10 'to compensate for inflation'.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
How hard is it to install cams on a DRZ? I'm not very mechanically inclined but I'll have all winter in my parent's basement to get it working.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not very. They have to come out to adjust valves, so it's required for maintenance, anyway. Just triple check everything before you put it back together.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

How hard is it to install cams on a DRZ? I'm not very mechanically inclined but I'll have all winter in my parent's basement to get it working.

Do they need to get degreed in? Because that's a time consuming process that you should go through with an experienced mechanic the first time. If they're just drop in replacements, it's easy. Make sure you turn the engine over a few times before you put the valve cover back on (but after installing the cam chain tensioner), to make sure nothing binds up.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Any thoughts on whether axle sliders do poo poo for a motard? I found a pair for my rear axle on sale for $20 (official KTM ones) and it was a pretty slick package - it even came with a hollowed-out axle nut to fit the rod through. A fair sight better than trying to gently caress with doing it myself with skateboard wheels, for $20.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

For 20$ I'd absolutely do it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Any thoughts on whether axle sliders do poo poo for a motard?

My swing-arm and front brake disc say yes. Bar end sliders aren't a terrible idea either.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I could try attaching a skateboard wheel to every exposed fastener on the bike.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

ReelBigLizard posted:

My swing-arm and front brake disc say yes. Bar end sliders aren't a terrible idea either.

cycra pro bend barkbusters have replaceable plastic sliders on the ends that work as bar end sliders, plus they keep your levers from getting bent/broken when you drop the bike. :10bux: to replace them when they get torn up

on a related note, how in the gently caress can KTM get away with charging the better part of $100 for replacement brake + clutch levers, and why can't I find any folding levers either OEM or aftermarket that fit the bike? :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Seconding Cycra pro-bends. I had them on my DRZ, and they had different plastic covers that you could put on, big beefy ones for off-road, and little slim ones for the street, they were pretty cool.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I just did the skateboard wheel thing last week after putting off buying the $100 slider kit for a year. It cost me $30. I could've done it for cheaper if I went with a cheap K-mart board, but I liked the design on the spitfires.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Just got back from my first-ever group ride. I am slower than poo poo but don't really care about that so much since lofting the front over the crest in every hill and riding like a jackass around downtown was so fun. About 10 minutes in I realized I really should've started on a DRZ, but oh well.

Also, the Aprilia 550s sound loving incredible with an Akro can. That bike is tits.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm in the process of "blinging" my sumo with random stikers and such. Only on a bike (or sumo) is it acceptable to look flashy and ridiculous. Helmet-mohawks aside.

I think it just adds to the hooligan aspect of it. I love peoples faces when I'm lane splitting a bit too close with my loud exhaust and yoda on my back.

How long until it gets jacked?

I've been meanings to buy one of these for my bike.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 13, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Hurrr KTM, drat you. I think my stator shat itself. It killed my battery while riding, but I was able to limp it back by basically never stopping and it barely had enough juice to keep the engine supplied with spark and a very, very dim headlight. It would stall if I just let it idle or used anything that would take more power like the brakelights or signals.

After some testing I discovered that the battery would be 12.5V with no load on it (after I charged it back up), and it would drop down to 10 or so if I revved the bike. Sweet. I also switched the meter to AC voltage and checked the stator plug, but it was tough to balance sticking two probes in a tiny connector while also twisting the throttle on a vibrate-y bike, so I'm not sure if my readings gave me anything useful. Ohm resistance between the stator connectors was around 1.5. I pulled the tank off and checked all the wiring connections and everything looked okay. Found some snipped connectors courtesy of the PO. One day I will own a bike that does not have a molested wiring harness.

Also my bike keeps dying with the handlebars all the way to the right, but it's not electrical because if I gas it, the thing stays alive. I know it has to do with binding throttle cables but they are routed properly and have the proper slack. Also, even when turned all the way to the right, killing the bike, I can still feel the 3-5mm of slack in the throttle I should have. The only other thing I can think of is that it's somehow nudging the decomp cable but I doubt it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 15, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

My bike is acting weird (07 KTM 690) It doesn't happen too often but...

Sometimes when I'm going from a dead stop it'll just stall. Then take a couple tries to get it back. Also, yesterday, it stalled and then wouldn't start. Then it finally started and then my FI light was on and it ran funny. I wasn't in neutral but the bike would just rev. Sometimes when I start it it'll just rev and not catch any gears. Turning it off/on usually fixes it. Also, sometimes when I shift up it'll not catch any gears and just rev. Or it will not shift up even though I felt it.

It's not too often that these issues happen and other than that the bike runs perfectly fine. It just likes to act up sometimes.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Fuel pump, filter, clogged injectors?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Check all electrical connections and tps sensor calibration (if it has one).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

But why would it run perfectly otherwise? With the fuel pump wouldn't it just not start all together? The previous previous owner did get some extended 3 year warranty. I have to pay $20 to get it transferred, or something. But I can't exactly replicate the issue on spot.

Wait, is that something that would even be covered?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Christoff posted:

But why would it run perfectly otherwise? With the fuel pump wouldn't it just not start all together? The previous previous owner did get some extended 3 year warranty. I have to pay $20 to get it transferred, or something. But I can't exactly replicate the issue on spot.

Wait, is that something that would even be covered?

Did you note the error code? The FI light will blink in a certain pattern (long or short flashes) and there is a table in the user manual troubleshooting section that tells you what they mean.

Even if you can't replicate it, the dealer can look into the EFI log (which records all errors until they are purged by the mechanic) and find the issue.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 15, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Almost positive it didnt blink. I just kept trying to start it because
I was holding up traffic. Finally did with what I think was a solid fi light. I drove about 20 feet, turned it off/on and was on my way.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Christoff posted:

Almost positive it didnt blink. I just kept trying to start it because
I was holding up traffic. Finally did with what I think was a solid fi light. I drove about 20 feet, turned it off/on and was on my way.

It's usually solid, blinking the code every ~15 seconds, you probably just missed it. Either way, a tech should be able to pull an error code out of the log. How often does it happen?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

All the other things happen pretty seldom. That was the first time I've seen the fi light on

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Posting this here because us sumo riders stand apart :coal:

Looking to buy some new gear that I can't afford.

1. Helmet. Looking for a more sumo orientated helmet. This one seems to be a good cheap alternative to the $400+ ones and comes in a nice orange that will match my bike. Apparently they run pretty small.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/6/24806/ITEM/AFX-FX-37-DS-Multi-Helmet.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

2. Gloves I have the cortech ones here in blue
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/37/17628/ITEM/Cortech-Injector-Gloves.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

which are good enough but I don't like them as much as my old beat up alpinestar ones. I hate to be that metrosexual on the bike but I'd like a nice orange alternative to match my bike and helmet.

What gloves are put on in this commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOCEesZEIo0&feature=&p=86AAA5407C165347&index=0&playnext=1

3.Spine protector Just something to wear under my jacket. Any suggestions?

4.Boots This is where it gets tough. I do ride a sumo but don't do anything crazy (yet). I may get into mx down the line or at least more trial riding on my sumo. Either way I do a lot of tootin' around town and I guess you can never be too safe.

There's the comfy street boots

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/77/ITEM/Alpinestars-S-MX-Plus-Racing-Boots.aspx?sst=RR|77

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/17129/ITEM/Alpinestars-S-MX-5-Boots.aspx

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/racing_boots/alpinestars/s_mx_r_motorcycle_boots.html

Then the very expensive but apparently really popular/good tech 7s. The price is hard to negotiate. But I guess you can't put a price on your health. But are they too much for daily riding?

http://www.motostrano.com/alsubote7sm.html

and these which are hard to find in the US

http://www.mxmegastore.com/Gaerne-Super-Motard-Supermoto-Boots-p/gaerne-super-motard-boot.htm

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Posting this here because us sumo riders stand apart :coal:

Looking to buy some new gear that I can't afford.

1. Helmet. Looking for a more sumo orientated helmet. This one seems to be a good cheap alternative to the $400+ ones and comes in a nice orange that will match my bike. Apparently they run pretty small.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/6/24806/ITEM/AFX-FX-37-DS-Multi-Helmet.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

I have this helmet (in flat black) and love it, however it has its downsides.

The small diamond shaped vent on the jaw whistles when you turn your head, none of the vents close and thus its pretty loud with wind noise inside. Also the liner isn't removable.

But its drat comfy and looks great.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

TheDon01 posted:

I have this helmet (in flat black) and love it, however it has its downsides.

The small diamond shaped vent on the jaw whistles when you turn your head, none of the vents close and thus its pretty loud with wind noise inside. Also the liner isn't removable.

But its drat comfy and looks great.

Well I always wear ear plugs or headphones. But I guess that sucks for cold days. So do the sizes really run real small? I'm a medium but more towards a large. Will probably just get a large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
I really want some kickass SM boots as well but I can't justify spending $400 on boots for street riding.

Also, I tried one of the SM helmets but ended up preferring to just wear a dirt helmet. Makes me feel like more of a hooligan.

• Locked thread